Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cicatrize

Meh ipledged for tane.... 19/m... wish me luck

Hi everyone i am a 19/m and have been reading the forums and so far very comforted and relieved by most peoples overall feelings on accutane. My acne history is very short actually... i had perfect skin all throughout highschool and my first year of college, absolutely no problems accept alittle bumpiness here and there and the very occasional small zit (isolated). About the end of September 2007 i got a small little breakout on the right side of my face and didnt think much of it. About 3 weeks later it had been getting noticeably worse and i opted to go see the family derm. Going in with tons of optimism i had felt since i had never had problems with skin in the past, this would all blow over in a week or so..... wrong. I was prescribed Doxycycline w/ topicals for first 6-8 weeks and then Solodyn for next 6-8 weeks.... it is now Feb 1 2008 and what went from being a tiny issue has now plagued my life... this acne didnt start bad, but has been so stubborn to every treatment, the only effects i am getting from the treatments are all the IB's. This great resistance has made me an ideal candidate for accutane.. i went in yesterday and pledged and will be picking up my prescription in a couple days and here i go... i was really upset because i dont like taking medicine for anything ( not even advil for headaches) and accutane is an extremely powerful one. I know what i am getting myself into, but i think i can suffer the 5 month treatment to clear me up. My father eveloped acne at the same time i did when he was in college, but it wasnt as resistant... he said he did some treatments and eventually grew out of it in a few years... my derm thinks that tane will knock it into remission untill i grow out of acne..... hopefully this is the case. Sorry for the long introduction... but i know reading others has helped me alot and i hope when this is all done i will help some of you... let me be your guinea pig! Oh yea and a little twist and catch 22 to all of this is that i have been clinically depressed for about 3 years and have opted out of ever taking SSRI's (anti depressants) due to the side effects that they can yield.. .one of which i read along time ago is acne.... hah... and on the other end, a side effect of accutane can be severe depression..... im caught in a limbo here... but judging life before and after aquiring this disease... acne is more depressing than depression itself... i will be continuing therapy throughout my accutane course... so i believe everything will be ok... it has to be. If you have any questions or are just bored... im sure your on acne.org for some reason to get help or another... introduce yourself... lets all have fun with accutaneeeeeeeeeee ... gulp. i will put up pics asap

Day 1: just picked up my tane prescription. along with it i will be on Prednisone and Keflex .. and i am alittle skeptical , but it was highly reccomended. My skin has gotten very bad and doesnt seem to want to stop anytime soon so i am taking the dive today... i will take the first few pills in the next hour... if anyone is on a similar treatment or just has some words of wisdom.. all would be greatly appreciated.

Day 2 : Havent noticed much so far, prednisone makes me alittle more dazed and tired it seems, but side effects have been minimal to none. I have felt alittle ringing in my ears and alittle more head pressure but i dont know if either are due to the meds.. i am using cetaphil gentle cleanser and moisturizer twice daily and it has been keeping my skin moisturized since the day i started using it (about 3 months ago) so i will continue with it. I will try to update this every day..

Hey stopping by to say good luck hope it all works out for you try to stay positive and if it gets worse or really dry just think its doing its job and after you have finished hopefully you wont ever need anything else! i know i am trying to tell myself that and if i do breakout or get real dry its my skins way of shedding and getting rid of the crap below!

Good luck :D

Hey stopping by to say good luck hope it all works out for you try to stay positive and if it gets worse or really dry just think its doing its job and after you have finished hopefully you wont ever need anything else! i know i am trying to tell myself that and if i do breakout or get real dry its my skins way of shedding and getting rid of the crap below!

Good luck :D

Hey man! I just started my tane course today so you only got two days on me! Im a 21/m, 165lbs, 6'0 taking 40mgs/day. Good luck for you and me! Oh and Pinkunicorns as well!

Day 9: Pretty solid so far, face was breaking out last 3 days but seems it calmed down now.. just alot of red spots that will take a long time to fade.

i took some pics on Day 1 but i cant figure out how to load them, can someone link me to instructions or just tell me in this post please. as soon as i know how i can take bi monthly pics or so.

Day 14: Havent been staying up on the log as much but i figure i will give at least a once a week synopsis. Well 2 weeks worth down the pipe, and so far i am feeling good about it. I can definitely tell the drug is working. Smaller stuff on the sides is starting to go away a bit and my old old red marks seem to be fading =, new red marks are redder than ever tho. I think i am in the middle of the IB right now but am not sure, stuff seems to be moving and getting sent to the surface which is good. For smaller breakouts they have usually come to and end withing 2-3 days and are gone with just red. Side effects were nothing untill about 3 days ago and now i am getting the chapped lips pretty bad, but not unbearable. I have had little head aches and nausea but thats just from lack of proper food/water, im working on it heh. If this is as bad as it gets i could definitelly tough this out for a long long time, i just keep thinking one less day one less day one less day. For anyone with doubts, i would give it a try if your acne is something that bothers you alot, especially if it is psychological! taking accutane has seemed to almost help me a little bit with depression due to that i know i am doing what it takes to treat this problem. Along with that i kinda always feel like i am at high altitudes, with alittle bit more pressure in my head since i have been on it, was harder to concentrate at first but i think i have adjusted and will be fine. If anyone has any questions let me know, or advice on how the hell to load pictures! take care

Day 15: Nothing to update except that i had really bad nausea and stomach movement the last 24 hours... i think it may just be a bug, hoping its just something i ate and not the medicine.

Day 26: Haha im already doing so bad at keeping up with this thing.. so here goes i will try and recap the missed 1 1/2 weeks. Lips have gotten severely chapped, not unbearable but very annoying! I feel my body has adjusted to the medicine alot, i felt like it was hard to concentrate for the first 2 weeks and alot of head pressure, but it seems to have subsided alittle or i just am used to it. I got my blood work done 2 days ago for the first check up that i have tommorow. I am very bad with needles and blood work so i passed out like i always do :( was kinda embarassing but i have a wonderful gf that took care of me so all was good, i really just hope my results are fine and i can stay on accutane. So far i feel really good about taking this stuff. Yea the side effects arent that fun, but you start to just get used to them and i think once im off of this stuff im just going to feel soo good that it will be worth it. As far as my skin goes, its surprisingly a whole lot better already, i would say a 4)% improvement. Still active acne and lots of redness, but each active area is drying up and alot has already flattened out ( the flattened areas just look worse than they are because they are red but most the actual acne is gone !) i only have like 4 days of prednisone and ceflex left so i am excited to cut 2 drugs out of my life heh. i honestly think the worst of it might be over for me because i had a pretty bad breakout about 2 weeks in and its now just finally over and been clearing a bit since. i will try and keep these more brief but i had alot to catch up on, i still dont know how to put pictures up , so someone please link me to instructions or post how! Good luck to anyone searching for an answer, accutane might be it for you, i have hopes that it will do the job in the long run. I feel like acne makes people stronger in the end. You really learn to give up the silly superficial aspects of your life and focus on what makes up an individual on the inside ( so cliche, but how i feel). ALL WORDS OF WISDOM ARE WELCOMED, ENCOURAGED, and APPRECIATED :)

Day 29: well one whole month down, tommorow is last pill then i pick up next prescription. I will be taking 40 mg then 80 alternating days next month. This month was not to bad i have been breaking out throughout it, but alot is calming so i cant really say at this point, some people have said that my skin is looking better, but who knows what that means. 1/5 done :)

Day 36: skin has dried up alot and is looking better, have already gotten compliments , which does alot for the self esteem. Its my birthday today and im feeling great about making the decision to start accutane. I understand how acne can affect your life physically and mentally but just stay strong and realize that it is very comon. my lips are sooo chapped and it sucks bad, but at least i can tell this stuff is working, i have very high hopes for the end of this next prescription and think by about day 60 i will see huge improvements from day 1. Goodluck to all of you on accutane

Happy Birthday. Good Luck with your course of accutane. I just started accutane today and by reading your logs gives me conficence.

Happy Birthday. Good Luck with your course of accutane. I just started accutane today and by reading your logs gives me conficence.

Day 47: I just went on a road trip to San Diego and unfortunatelly i felt a breakout coming on when i was leaving. Surely enough by the next morning (saturday) i had broken out pretty bad, mostly on the left side of my face. Things were going so well slow and steady, but i guess i kinda forgot about that breakout i was promised... hopefully this is it, alot more redness now and i am hoping that this breakout doesnt continue longer and i can just heal from here. Anyone else have similar experiences around the 1-2 month mark? i havent really been sure what to expect on this stuff i am just going into it with fingers crossed. uhgg and these spring allergies arent helping with the nosebleeds :(

Day 57: Well its probably quite obvious to anyone reading this log that i am very inconsistent and flaky. I have been trying not to think about acne alot, and frankly, logging on here everyday and posting doesnt help distract me from it :( . However, i am not going to give up on this, i will most likely just switch to doing a synopsis of every week or so at the end. Who knows... all i can say is... this murderous drug has kinda saved my life... It has forced me to stop drinking and doing drugs... which was tough as hell last month cold turkey.. .but now at the end of month 2 i am getting used to this coherent lifestyle. I am upping the dosage again next month so hopefully it wont be to intense. going to be taking 40 mg 2x a day for 2 days then the 3rd day just 40 mg. My girlfriend has commented alot on my skin saying how much better it looks, she is an angel though and could just be trying to make me feel better.. either way i'll take the self esteem boost. i have been taking pics and want to put them up... last time i tried the files were to big and i dont know how to compress them or change the file type.. so if i cant get these up continuously i will just make a month by month progress album at the end i suppose. help would be great, peace and love.

Day 58: woohoo 2 in a row! skin is doing alright, very red and i was informed that it will be red for most of the time on tane. anyone know if old red marks can continue to fade though? i hope so but oh well i am not really upset or too self conscious anymore because i am in this for the long run and kinda just gotta ride it out.

Day 62: skin is dry and got alittle sunburned on hands, need to keep up on sunscreen. in general my skin is getting better but i am still getting little breakouts here and there. It seems as soon as one area clears up perfect, another one begins. They are definitely not as bad as before but still here.. sucks.. i have good hopes for month 3 tho...

Day 70: This is about the clearest my skin has been so far on tane. I think i am definitely over any bad breaking out, maybe a spot here or there. its all flat and there is just redness now, but i guess i will have to wait for it to fade in time. Is there anything i can use in the meantime to help redness fade quicker?

Help redness fade more quickly? Not really.

You can try getting a ton of Vitamin C in your system, it helps the lighten skin tone, and some claim it helps them ward off breakouts. I've also noticed that eating lots of spinach (raw) helps my skin tone. I read somewhere (on this board in fact) that drinking tons of lemon juice helps, but in my experience it didn't really.

The best way to fight redness is to stop breaking out... which means don't do anything stupid as far as your diet is concerned, and otherwise do not irritate your skin.

there are some suggestions in the treatments tab above for scarring. As for the picture thing I'm not sure if you've figured it out yet or not, you can download this program for free to resize your photos it's called IrfanView. google it and look for the free download. Good luck!

there are some suggestions in the treatments tab above for scarring. As for the picture thing I'm not sure if you've figured it out yet or not, you can download this program for free to resize your photos it's called IrfanView. google it and look for the free download. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys

Day 79: For the most part skin has gotten much better. Not the drastic improvement i have been hoping for.. but improving nonetheless. I am happy to be just over halfway on my treatment and very glad at this point i did not hesitate to get started. I think any large breaking out is over with and it will just be slow steady healing and progress from here. thanks for those who have supported