Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swimmersenorita.

Is it good to be a vegetarian than? and major help!!!!

Okay, I've read some topics, and they say proteins and stuff, but.. what should I do, I thought that it would be a good idea to be a vegetarian, but than from the readings im not too sure.

I'm a newbie to this whole regimen too.

I want to find something that I can stick too, so that all of my acne can go away..

My regimen:

Morning/Evening

- Purpose Gentle Cleaning Wash

- Neutrogena On-the-Spot

- Phisoderm daily moisturizer (but, it's burning all of the time... allergic?)

and, my mom wants me to have these children vitamin c vitamins which are in gummy form.

Beside the fact on vegetarians... i eat alot of fruit and vegetables

** My wording may not be right, but its there...

SOMEONE HHELLLPPP!

I guess it depends on what you mean by good?

I don't eat meat and I'm still alive and perfectly healthy. It's the same as anything else, you can have healthy meat eaters and unhealthy meat eaters, healthy vegetarians and unhealthy vegetarians and so on. There is no reason at all why you can't get on fine without eating meat provided you ensure you have a balanced diet whereby you are able to gain all the nutrients you need to function.

I'm sure a barrage of replies will follow telling you you can't possibly survive without meat. However, millions do.

My advice, do the research and decide for yourself. It can really only be your decision.

p.s. you might be better getting your vit c from fruit and veg rather than kiddie's pills :)

Well,

a) to save animals

b) I tend to prefer the fruits/vegetables over meat,

c) I really have no clue on this whole thing..

I'm 14, and I see other people's diet etc, and they say proteins (meats, etc.)

and I'm just really confused on what everybody is saying about all of this.

Well,

a) to save animals

Well,

a) to save animals

Ok well if you want to save animals and are unhappy eating them then it makes sense for you to be vegetarian. If you prefer eating fruits and vegetables then you are in a fortunate position and are in a good place to start. The third point is more tricky. Before anybody changes their diet they should have as much information as possible to make the change and not end up making themselves ill. You will be able to gain lots of information on this site as well as loads of others, just google "becoming a vegetarian".

With regards to what you read on this site, it's completely different wanting to avoid acne because of eating meat and avoid meat because you want to save animals.

All you can do is try it out and see whether it's for you and if you're not enjoying it you can always go back to eating meat.

I became veggie at 14 then went back to eating meat at 15 because it wasn't making me happy. However, now, at 28 I'm a veggie (well, raw vegan but we won't go in to that) and it works just fine for me.

Just try not to get bogged down with all the debate on this specific site about meat versus veggie as it could end up confusing you even more!

Sadly there are several people on this board that developed/worsened acne by eating a typical vegetarian or vegan diet.

Genereally vegetarianism is a bad idea if you are 14 years old. It's alot easier to get the nutrients needed for healthy growth and development if a ample amount of animal products are added to your diet.

Have you looked at the Holistically clear skin club thread?

It will give you a general idea of what has worked for people on this board.

Sadly there are several people on this board that developed/worsened acne by eating a typical vegetarian or vegan diet.

Genereally vegetarianism is a bad idea if you are 14 years old. It's alot easier to get the nutrients needed for healthy growth and development if a ample amount of animal products are added to your diet.

Going vegan/vegetarian is what gave me bad acne in the first place. I would advise against it. You can say a person is capable of eating a healthy vegetarian diet but that is very debatable. Vegetarians have no way of getting vitamin B-12 unless taken in supplement form, which is an inferior method when compared to food. They also lack good quality protein and saturated fat in their diet. Many people on this forum have found their skin improved or cleared up completely when adding more meat.

If you want to do this to "save" animals think about the fact that these animals are raised and bred purely for slaughter/consumption. You are not saving any animals by not eating them, they will still go to slaughter and die and someone else will eat them. If you are worried about the treatment of the animals not being humane, you should consider buying organic meat. Animals raised on organic farms lead much healthier and happier lives than factory farm animals do.

Going vegan/vegetarian is what gave me bad acne in the first place. I would advise against it. You can say a person is capable of eating a healthy vegetarian diet but that is very debatable. Vegetarians have no way of getting vitamin B-12 unless taken in supplement form, which is an inferior method when compared to food. They also lack good quality protein and saturated fat in their diet. Many people on this forum have found their skin improved or cleared up completely when adding more meat.

If you want to do this to "save" animals think about the fact that these animals are raised and bred purely for slaughter/consumption. You are not saving any animals by not eating them, they will still go to slaughter and die and someone else will eat them. If you are worried about the treatment of the animals not being humane, you should consider buying organic meat. Animals raised on organic farms lead much healthier and happier lives than factory farm animals do.

There has been some mis-information.

1) There are natural sources of B-12 in the Vegetarian diet (dairy products). I think you are referring to the vegan diet.

2) Vegetarians have lower saturated fat intake (reducing the risk of heart attacks by 23%), but there is definitely saturated fat is in the vegetarian diet. Saturated fat is in Peanut Butter (I have the jar here... 3 grams of Sat Fat per serving), Almond butters, dairy products, etc.

On a side note, some of my friends did swerve over into the vegetarian lane for a few months and overcompensated their diets with lots of whole grain pastas, breads, etc. Their acne did become worse and they later found that it was the gluten or bread products which were causing them to break out.

The FDA has been forced to change its stance on a vegetarian diet after it lost a lawsuit a few years ago when they claimed a vegetarian diet was not healthy. Although I do not usually rely on what the FDA says, it is worth noting that the FDA -with all its research teams/money/research at its disposal... and with its pride at stake-- could not suitably back up their statement that a veggie diet is unhealthy. They lost and had to release the statement that a veggie diet is healthy for all stages of life and all nutrients can be obtained.

A vegan diet is more complicated, but then you arent considering a vegan diet.

If you asking if a veggie diet is healthier, here are statistics:

A veggie diet (or eating meat only once every 2 weeks) lowers your risk of colon cancer by 40-60% (American Cancer Society). It also reduces the risk of several dozen health complications by 40% (Physician's Committee For Responsible Medicine).

No way of getting b12 - absolute bollocks, b12 whole food sources - spirulina, wheatgrass, E-3 live, bee pollen, royal jelly, nutritional yeast

Going vegan/vegetarian is what gave YOU bad acne, doesn't mean it'll happen to everyone.

Yes it is debatable and also true, we are all different. I guarantee there are vegetarians in the world healthier than some meat eaters.

No way of getting b12 - absolute bollocks, b12 whole food sources - spirulina, wheatgrass, E-3 live, bee pollen, royal jelly, nutritional yeast

I'm glad not everyone has has your defeatest attitude - fuck it, they'll get eaten anyway - what a bizarre attitude.

Going vegan/vegetarian is what gave YOU bad acne, doesn't mean it'll happen to everyone.

Yes it is debatable and also true, we are all different. I guarantee there are vegetarians in the world healthier than some meat eaters.

I'm glad not everyone has has your defeatest attitude - fuck it, they'll get eaten anyway - what a bizarre attitude.

Yes it happened to me, two of my friends, quite a few other people here on this board, and Dotty's friends apparently. But that must be a coincidence, right!

Some vegetarians in the world are healthier than some meat eaters? What is your point?

Glennart took care of the b12 issue.

Defeatest attitude? What the fuck are you talking about? I am trying to save this girl from making the same mistakes I did and explaining to her why her reasons for wanting to be vegetarian are not valid. I used to be vegan and I bought into all that propaganda too, but then I grew up.

There has been some mis-information.

1) There are natural sources of B-12 in the Vegetarian diet (dairy products). I think you are referring to the vegan diet.

2) Vegetarians have lower saturated fat intake (reducing the risk of heart attacks by 23%), but there is definitely saturated fat is in the vegetarian diet. Saturated fat is in Peanut Butter (I have the jar here... 3 grams of Sat Fat per serving), Almond butters, dairy products, etc.

Those are b-12 analogs, not real vitamin b12.

Your body cannot use the analogs and they block the uptake of and actually increase the need for real b-12.

I don't think it bodes well to generalise that "vegetarianism is a bad idea if you are 14" without then backing that up.

#1 problem with Vegeterianism/Veganism is that generally the lack of meats/dairy/eggs is made up for in very high amounts of GRAINS or HIGH-CARBOHYDRATE foods. If you are vegeterian or vegan, in my opinion it's perfectly fine as long as you up your vegetable consumption tremendously and lower or completely eliminate grains.

Much appreciated everyone,

I think that I would add more fruits and veggies, I'll look into a better supplement and drink plenty more water than i already do,

I dont think this tread is worth fighting over, you guys just wanted to help me. And I'm much obliged.

I know that the saturated fats are a problem..

Is 1% milk or even low fat soy milk bad?

Someone said grains aren't a good thing..?

And, I probably will have meat once in a while to keep my iron up, I have had past iron deficiencies and anemia... so, I know the drill.

Thank you everyone-- :)

Much appreciated everyone,

I think that I would add more fruits and veggies, I'll look into a better supplement and drink plenty more water than i already do,

I dont think this tread is worth fighting over, you guys just wanted to help me. And I'm much obliged.

I know that the saturated fats are a problem..

Is 1% milk or even low fat soy milk bad?

Someone said grains aren't a good thing..?

And, I probably will have meat once in a while to keep my iron up, I have had past iron deficiencies and anemia... so, I know the drill.

Thank you everyone-- :)

What other stuff?

I would not recommend dairy for many reasons. If you search the forums a little bit you will see what I mean.

I would also not recommend soy. It contains very high levels of phytoestrogens and could potentially cause a hormone imbalance. Soy products are also heavily processed. Many people find they are sensitive to soy when it comes to acne.

If you can't live without some kind of milk then almond milk would be the best alternative.

Grains are also a food that is most often heavily processed. Grain products also usually contain a lot of sugar and/or hydrogenated vegetable oils.

In my opinion you would be better off eating a diet rich in both lean and fatty meat, plenty of cooked vegetables, and a small amount of fruit.

Some good supplements to take are Cod liver oil, B-complex, Taurine, and probiotics. If you are not getting enough Vit C from the veggies I would take some in supplement form also.

You would never feed a baby a vegan diet, it would become ill.

In what way would it become ill?

What evidence have you of this?

Have you witnessed this first hand?

In my opinion you ought to cut back on generalisations.

You would never feed a baby a vegan diet, it would become ill.

In what way would it become ill?

What evidence have you of this?

Have you witnessed this first hand?

In my opinion you ought to cut back on generalisations.