Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bran88

low GI bread? help!

Hi all,

I always buy multigrain/flax or wheat bread, but I have no idea how to distinguish which breads are low GI...what should I be looking for? Thanks!

Regarding acne, the "GI" is not important - all bread is detrimental to your skin but the bread lowest in protein that you can find (which will be dirt cheap white bread) is the least harmful :)

Regarding acne, the "GI" is not important - all bread is detrimental to your skin but the bread lowest in protein that you can find (which will be dirt cheap white bread) is the least harmful :)

Hey war baby,

thanks for your help! Is there any way you could explain the reasoning behind that? I would think that whole grains/wheat has more nutrition than white bread (assuming that you're not allergic!) I also thought that white flour would convert to more sugar in the body...I would really like to know more about your viewpoint!

The reasoning is that gluten is the protein in wheat, and gluten aggravates acne in many people.

The only bread I eat is made from brown rice and sweetened with fruit juices. It has a heavy texture, but is really good toasted (and I've grown fond of the non-toasted taste and texture, too). It's sold at Trader Joe's. I can't remember the brand name.

I thought rye bread was ok?

I think just about all non-rice varieties are troublesome to those with a gluten intolerance...However, that's not a problem for everyone, in fact, I am fairly certain it's not a problem for me.