Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been on accutane twice, taken every presciption you can name and still the acne is always coming back to haunt me.

2 years ago, due to digestion problems and of course skin problems, I decided to clean up my diet. I felt better, had regular bowels, and my skin did improve, but it wasn't clear.

2 weeks ago, I had a massive breakout in whiteheads spread throughout my face. It wasn't pretty and scared me to the point of total strictness with my diet.

I have had amazingly clear skin for the past week now. Here's what I am doing:

I eat a lean protein with every meal (eggs,chicken,lots of salmon, fish, turkey). I eat raw veggies throughout the day. For example, with my egg in the morning I have red peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers etc. For lunch I will have salmon with a HUGE salad loaded with olive oil. I ONLY eat 1-2 fruits a day MAX and they are a small apple or a small handful of blueberries. For dinner I have another protein with steamed veggies (usually broccoli). I also include nuts/seeds. Usually almonds or sunflower seeds.

KEY: NO SUGAR, here is where I went wrong in the past. I cheated with the chocolates, cookies, starbucks etc. But I have not touched a grain of sugar for the past 2 weeks!!!

Supplements: ACV upon waking. Probiotic after breakfast. AVC before lunch. B-complex (50), taurine (500), zinc (30), fish oil (1000), and saw palmetto after lunch. With dinner I take another fish oil and cod liver oil.

KEY: Don't over do the supplements. I was taking wayyyyy too many!

Washing: I rinse with warm water in the morning, maybe rinse again in the afternoon, and only wash with Dan's gentle cleanser at night in the shower. I also lightly mannually exfoliate the dead skin in the shower. Throughout the day I moisturize with cetaphil only where needed. At night I apply the cetaphil directly out of the shower, wait 1 hour and apply my tazorac topical (I know this is a bit cheating holistically, but I love the texture it gives my skin)

KEY: KISS (keep it simple stupid). Do not over wash your face! Don't be afraid to use lotion!

A couple other things: I make sure to get at least 7 hours sleep. I drink tons of water through the day.Try to think positive and be happy. And I exercise every morning (running, walking, bike) for stress relief.

Overall, I 110% can see how much diet affects my skin. I think the reason why most people eat healthy and still break out is because they are probably cheating (like I was). You'd be surprised to see how much sugar you actually consume and don't even know it. Going out to eat even once per week can throw off your progress. Willpower is huge when trying to change your diet.

Anyhow, I just wanted to make a post in hopes to share my success with others. You all have done so much for me and I would never be where I am if it weren't for all the threads, support, and answers. If you have any questions, I'll be checking!

GOOD LUCK ;)

Hi jen,,

I totally cut out sugar from my diet several months ago also and i have been pimple free for a good while ,

Just an odd one now and again and some ghastly scars leftover :(

I read another of your posts somewhere in here about your diet and was wondering how do you feel physically? are you still as energetic w/out the sugar and do you feel fitter?

(I feel fine w/out it)

I hope you continue to reap the benefits of curing your skin from the inside, I think its a great idea and Im definately going to be eating more greens and fruits to stay clear.

(oh + I use witch hazel in the morning and at night time, It really kills all the bacteria and keeps pores clean + tight)

Ty

rian

You have come far with your diet! Congratz!

But I am sad to see that you still fear both red meat and the natural fats that come along with it.

And eating your vegetables cooked along with your meals is a better use for them than to munch on them raw.

Thanks Rian and Glen!

Rian: I have so much energy, it's incredible. The first week was rough, I did feel tired and rundown. Now I practically jump out of bed and go on a short run. I love the way I feel physically.

Glen: I am not a fan of red meat because it's too hard to digest. I prefer leaner sources of protein. But I'm glad it's working for you :angel:

I eat a lean protein with every meal (eggs,chicken,lots of salmon, fish, turkey). I eat raw veggies throughout the day. For example, with my egg in the morning I have red peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers etc. For lunch I will have salmon with a HUGE salad loaded with olive oil. I ONLY eat 1-2 fruits a day MAX and they are a small apple or a small handful of blueberries. For dinner I have another protein with steamed veggies (usually broccoli). I also include nuts/seeds. Usually almonds or sunflower seeds.

KEY: NO SUGAR, here is where I went wrong in the past. I cheated with the chocolates, cookies, starbucks etc. But I have not touched a grain of sugar for the past 2 weeks!!!

See, I was puzzled how you've been on a paleo-type diet for months and yet were still apparently consuming sugar. It was Starbucks! Sugary drinks are the absolute worst thing you could have, especially between meals. The 2nd would be refined carb snacks. That's actually the only thing I'm strict about in my diet. I still have some sugar or other refined carbs, but only after a good meal and in small amounts.

I'd been on accutane twice and taken all the antibiotics too. But my skin cleared when I stopped having sweet drinks and snacks whenever I wanted. And I'm positive that soda was the biggest contributor to my acne. (After my allergy of course.)

Congrats on gettign clear babe!! So when you say you drink lots of water do you drink it like a certain time after you eat or do you just drink it whenever? I am getting kinda sick of this whole having to wait a half hour after I eat to drink... is there really any point? Thanks!!

And eating your vegetables cooked along with your meals is a better use for them than to munch on them raw.

Explain

You eat to satisfy hunger. If your hunger is not satisfied you will have to eat all the time.This is known as grazing. This is a sign that you are feeding your body a poor source of fuel.

I understand that some cell walls cannot be broken by chewing, that's why I tend to blend and juice my greens.

That's hardly a natural way to eat your food IMO.

I'm sure that that does not apply to all vegetables however.

I understand that some cell walls cannot be broken by chewing, that's why I tend to blend and juice my greens.

I find it strange that you find juicing and blending a hardly natural way to eat food but blasting it with high temperatures is? Eating raw food is at heart the most natural way to eat food as it is what nature gives us.

If cooking were natural (whereby natural means existing in nature or formed by nature) then why are we the only species on the planet to cook our food before eating it?

Yes we have brains and that's all lovely and wonderful. It doesn't change what we are made of and what our cells need to function. Using our wonderful brains we've created ready meals with more chemicals than you can shake a stick at, give me an apple any day. With our big, wonderful brains we still haven't created anything as nutritious as a fruit or a vegetable....

Juicers and blenders are used to break down the cell walls cos unfortunately our teeth are no longer able to do that - but they did at one point given that we evolved from apes and i'm not even going to argue that point any further.

Thanks for the info Glenart but I wholeheartedly disagree with the less nutrients than if cooked thing and nowt will change my mind on that one. I've experienced the difference first hand and so it wouldn't matter how many books or internet links I read on the subject.

With this knowledge in mind I choose to eat my vegetables raw

I've enjoyed the chat tho :)

If cooking were natural (whereby natural means existing in nature or formed by nature) then why are we the only species on the planet to cook our food before eating it?

Because we only have one stomach and not several like cows and horses do. ;) We also lack the enzyme for for breaking down cellulose, something that cows, horses and other herbivores produce naturally.

And speaking of natural, (whereby natural means existing in nature or formed by nature), blenders are far less natural than fire (the primary means most food has been cooked with historically, and theoretically, how the concept of cooking originated), so...?

Cooking more natural than juicing?

Come on now Glennart, let's think about that ;)