Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blisseanonyonatu

totaly darkness?

I'm curious about something I've read in a few topics here, What is the significance of sleeping in total darkness- as a part of an anti-acne regime? Is it so your sleep is restful and that you maintain a rhythm in your sleep patterns?

Nope - makes 0 difference to me, even when i skip sleep totally due to an all night birthday party it has no effect on my acne. My acne is related to fructose & sugar problems so that probably explains it and it may be different for others if there cause of acne is different. My skin can of course look worse after a late night (bags under eyes extra) but i know for a fact it doesn't make a difference with my acne. I used to have really poor sleep, but now i take a 3mg melatonin capsule and a small spoon of honey everynight just before bed and i'm dead to the world for the whole night! Good stuff if your having problems sleeping (just don't take if your on sedatives or tranquillizers).

The more dark your sleeping area, the more melatonin you produce, the less serotonin you produce and the deeper your sleep. The deeper your sleep, the more efficiently your body does all of its maintenance and repair routines in sleep.

Maintaining a regular rhythm is especially important for skin and overall health. Every single one of your organs, including your liver, stomach, etc., has circadian rhythms that work on a regular schedule that is entrained by sleeping at regular times. If you sleep at irregular times, these organs lose their rhythm and stop functioning optimally.

There are also many metabolic changes that occur with poor sleep that lead to decreased carbohydrate tolerance, which is why many people break out from seemingly small amounts of carbs when their sleep is poor.

I'm curious about something I've read in a few topics here, What is the significance of sleeping in total darkness- as a part of an anti-acne regime? Is it so your sleep is restful and that you maintain a rhythm in your sleep patterns?

If you have trouble sleeping, you should try darkening the room, establishing consistent sleeping times, and if you get up during the night, do not turn on lights.