Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ilovehockey

Self Tanning Help!!

Hey everyone. I have two dilemmas. The first one is, obviously, I have acne. The second... well I'll come out and say it - I'm really pasty. Like a ghost! OK, maybe not that bad, but it's bad enough to warrant self tanning. I already use Neutragena Build a Tan on my arms, and have used it on my face, but it is not very effective in making my face tan, and it is very oily!! Does anybody out there have the same problem and a recommendation for a product? I know they make specific face tanners, but I want to know what is the most acne-friendly before I buy. Thanks for reading my long post :P

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but for tanning your face I'd stick with bronzers, something that will wash off. Self-tanners can be difficult to control on delicate skin (hands, feet, face), color-wise, and I'd hate to end up with an orange face that you have to wait for to fade.

Plus, it should be easy to find non-acnegenic bronzers at your local drugstore.

Would a bronzer make my skin look naturally tan? (Er, not necessarily tan, but not really white?) The last thing I want is acne with an unnatural skin tone. Keep in mind it's February and I live in Chicago - which is not really a place that gets a lot of sun!

If you're using an exfoliative type treatment for your acne, your facial skin will never get a chance to stay tan even with a topical self tanner; the color will just get exfoliated right off. Nonetheless, I like Sally Hansen's Airbrush sun facial version. I used the facial version and the body version and had a lovely natural looking color. I'm olive based, not at all pink, so I don't know if that might have an effect on the results for you.

In the summer my face may be a little paler than the rest of me, due to wearing makeup with spf, but a little bronzer does help warm up the face so it looks sunkissed.

I'm assuming you aren't going for a bronzed look since most self tanners really just add a hint of color, they don't make you dark (well, if they look natural). In that case, a bronzer will work well. Use a big fluffy powder brush and lightly sweep it wherever the sun tends to add color: cheeks, bridge of nose, chin, forehead.

Would a bronzer make my skin look naturally tan? (Er, not necessarily tan, but not really white?) The last thing I want is acne with an unnatural skin tone. Keep in mind it's February and I live in Chicago - which is not really a place that gets a lot of sun!

Sounds good, but how is it with acne? (I assume you have some pimples, as this is an acne help forum.) I've noticed that a lot of bronzes contain some type of oil in their ingredients, which would wreck havoc on my face.

Yes, I've been fighting acne since I was 12.

I don't think you have to worry about oils in powder bronzers, especially if you get loose powders. There are also a few "mineral" bronzers out there that have minimal ingredients, which are good for acne-prone skin.

You should go to your local drugstore, see what bronzers are available, then check them out on www.makeupalley.com, which has tons of reviews.