Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've struggled with moderate acne for 5 to 6 years now, and I'm getting pretty fed up with it. I started off with stuff I could find in stores in the beginning, and it sort of worked. However, as time went on my acne just spread from place to place on my face, and by the time I fought off one outbreak another was already forming.

After a while I got prescribed some Differin and some sort of salicylic acid gel. One again, it sort of worked, except this time with the side effect of extreme irritation. Eventually realizing it was doing nothing more than the crap I bought at the stores, I stopped using it. Then I tried the acne.org regimen.

Initially, I started to clear up, but just like everything else I tried, it was like my acne adapted to whatever I was putting on my face, and fought back. Since it wasn't too expensive and the least irritating, I figured I'd keep with it, because it's better than nothing.

Since my acne wasn't terrible, I figured I'd experiment with some different remedies on this website like the aspirin mask. As usual, it worked at first, but my skin bounced back to what it was before. Currently, my regimen is washing my face twice a day, applying BP gel, and using an aspirin mask usually once daily. I realize the BP/aspirin mask combo can be irritating, but my skin doesn't seem to react to it negatively.

Basically, my acne isn't terrible, just annoying. I get rid of one spot, and another shows up on another side of my face. My face usually gets really oily during the day, so I usually pat my face with a tissue or something. I've broken the habit of touching my face, I change my pillowcase every other night (I flip the pillow), I cut out a lot of greasy foods from my diet that may have been encouraging excessive oil production, but I still deal with the same problems. I've also developed very minor scarring from this prolonged acne, and it's pretty discouraging.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what to try next, let loose! I don't think my acne is bad enough for accutane, so I'd probably have trouble getting a dermatologist to prescribe me something considered a "last resort" by people. Is there any other anti-biotic that's a little less powerful but essentially does the same thing as accutane?

Oh, and I'm wondering if it's actually possible for acne to adapt to routines. It seems like I can somehow "trick" my acne if I don't shower on a regular routine (like, every night). Sometimes, if I end up showering in the morning instead, I notice my acne seems to die down a little. It could just be a mental thing, but I'd definitely like to know if it's possible.

Your acne seems equal to mine, annoying yet not annoying enough to go on Accutane, not that I would though. Luckily the DKR, with my substitutes has done the job, and after the aspirin masks my face is returning to somewhat, normal.

Why not try the baby brush method, I'm going to try it tonight and have heard nothing but good reviews.

I have always had the same problem. What stopped my breakouts - Acidophilus pills and a B6 vitamin pill. Acidophilus in the morning and B6 at night. They REALLY help maintain not only healthy skin but also a healthy immune and metabolic system. I would definitely recommend those two vitamins. I got them both at Meijer for about nine dollars total.

The only other things I use are Clearasil Ultra Gel Wash and St Ives Apricot Scrub. Seriously. My face has not been clear of breakouts since about fifth grade. Now i just have to work on these red marks....

I'll definitely try those pills, and maybe the St. Ives apricot scrub to exfoliate instead of the aspirin mask. Right now I'm using Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash on my face, and it seems like it's not too irritating or anything. I used to use Cetaphil, but decided to switch over just for kicks.

I'll definitely try those pills, and maybe the St. Ives apricot scrub to exfoliate instead of the aspirin mask. Right now I'm using Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash on my face, and it seems like it's not too irritating or anything. I used to use Cetaphil, but decided to switch over just for kicks.

I just started using purpose gentle clenasing wash too, does it work for you?

I couldn't safely say that it has helped clear up my acne more than Cetaphil or any other cleanser, but I do like it's consistency a lot more than anything else I've used. Personally, I don't think it's the cleanser that's my problem. It serves it purpose of cleaning my face without clogging my pores or irritating it.

Wow, am I glad I ran into you clapyourhands09. I figured I'd try that Clearasil Gel and St. Ives Apricot Scrub. Thank you so much. In just two days my face is already clearing up immensely. I'm going to try to look for B5 or B6 vitamins too, hoping it reduces all the oil my face produces. I can't say enough good things about the Clearasil Ultra Gel. It doesn't irritate my face at all, and the dryness is so minimal that I hardly have to moisturize.