Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been using glycolic acid for almost a week now continually, twice a day. I'm not planning on stopping it because it is my only product that I am using to control my acne. I was just wondering if the flakey skin is something that you always experience while on the product, I know it exfoliates, or if it will go away after continual use. I am moisturizing every night with cetaphil and in the morning I apply a sunscreen of spf 30, the neutrogena ultra sheer dry touch.

You may have started using it too frequently. Most of the time it is best to start off using it less often, and then work up to more frequent use - this gives your skin a chance to get used to it. Twice a day is a lot to start with, unless you have used glycolic before? Depending on the strength of the product you are using and your skin's sensitivity, I would recommend only using it once a day for the first few weeks, and then bumping up the frequency once your skin has adjusted. Exfoliants tend to have a cumulative effect - the irritation and peeling can sneak up on you all of a sudden.

Once your skin is used to it, excessive peeling should stop. But do realize that peeling the skin is what you want glycolic to do - that is how it helps keep your skin clear. So, some amount of peeling is actually desireable.

Are you just getting peeling or are you also getting redness/irritation?

I agree that you probably started out with too much, too soon. You don't want to irritate your skin, because that can cause more breakouts. Try only using the glycolic once a day until your skin has time to adjust, and then you can move up to using it twice a day. You will have more flaky skin now, since you just started using the product, but over time you will experience less peeling and flaking.