Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shroper

Whats left to try?? Please help

So I have been reading these forums for months but never registered until today. Here's my story. I'm a 23 yr old male, first got acne around 18. Diet used to be crap and I had huge cystic acne all over. I have my acne "under control" with diet but still get a new zit every day or two. granted they are much smaller and the improvement has been qute dramatic. I just want this to stop though, and dont know what Im doing wrong. I will try my best to decribe my diet that I have been on, very strictly, for over 3 months:

-No grains, No milk products, no refined sugars or junk food.

-Legumes once or twice a week. usually black beans or lentils cooked with veggies.

-Eat only whole foods. I have cooked every meal from scratch for the last 3 months.

-Meat: Turkey, chicken, beef, fish, buffalo, pork(very rarely)

-Vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, Yams(maybe once a week), green beans, celery, greens, cucumbers, carrots. thats basically it.

-Fruit-once a day if that. apples, avacados.

-Also eat fair amount of eggs and nuts. I have cut both these out for a month at a time and notice no difference so i still eat them.

Typical daily meals:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs(no butter or anything) w/ onions, peppers, other veggies. OR apple w/ almond or cashew butter if im in a rush. OR left overs from night before.

Lunch:Various meat and veggies w/ olive oil if its lean meat.

Midday meal: Salad w/ hardboiled eggs and nuts OR Meat and veggies

Dinner:Fatty Meat w/ veggies

Meats are almost always baked at low temp (250F) with olive oil or coconut oil. Veggies steamed or raw.

Supplements:Cod Liver Oil, and Zinc/copper....I have tried too many different ones to list.

Drink 2-3l a water a day. lately my mouth has been really dry.

-Wash my face with water only 2x a day. I use jojoba oil around my mouth because it gets super dry. The rest of my skin is very dry too but I can not use any moisturizer on my cheeks or i will get huge painful cysts. ive tried it all, and it all clogs my pores. :doh:

Thats what ive been doing day in and day out and still getting zits. I don't get it. Like I said, it has improved dramaticlly, but after all this work my skin is still worse than everyone else. I'm in grad school and it is embarassing to still have acne at my age. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to try anything. Thanks for reading!

I was in the same boat as you for a long time. Currently my diet is quite restrictive but it works for me and I'm clearing more and more the longer I stay on it; unfortunately I tend to deviate occasionally which will sometimes result in a step backwards in terms of my acne but overall it's definitely better.

It is as follows:

Meat (any/all unprocessed, unsalted) (I go through lots of chicken, beef, pork and occasional fish)

Vegetables (any/all except for: Corn (actually a grain but w/e), Beets, Potatoes, Tomatoes (Not sure if it's the acidity in them but they break me out in the corners of my mouth for some reason), spinach & lettuce (too hard to digest I guess; gives me problems).

Water

That's it. No fruits because I'm trying to stabilize my blood sugar levels and I know for a fact that if I start eating apples in particular I will get jawline cysts (this occurs with candy too, which leads me to believe it's a sugar & glycemic load problem).

Here's what I do all week:

Make roasts/whole chicken in my slow cooker and carve them up and use as needed throughout the week

Make stir-fries when I have the time with a variety of veggies

Steam frozen vegetables and drizzle them with olive oil

Make a large quantity of vegetable soup which I blend together and heat as needed for breakfast. I also add in chicken or another "tender" meat (I feel this is good in the morning because your body is still waking up so you don't want to overload it with a hard to digest meal).

Make vegetable "stews" in my slow cooker with a variety of veggies and heat as needed.

I don't snack either; if I'm hungry I'll either eat some meat, or make myself a meal.

I exclude nuts because I get a couple miniscule whiteheads if I eat any so I avoid them. I also avoid eggs for now because when I was eating them every morning (cooked though) I got some exzema on my stomach and it disappears slowly so long as I avoid eggs (although I've yet to try raw eggs).

Best of luck.

PS I also supplement with Betaine HCl and Plant-based Digestive Enzymes at every meal as well as taking a zinc/copper pill and a coral calcium w/magnesium & vitamin D at lunch.

Your omega-3:omega-6 ratio seems out of wack, and that's bad for acne. For some of your meat, eat salmon or tuna, which will get the ratio back together. Otherwise, you have several sources of omega-6, but no great sources of omega-3.

Also try beatine HCl or apple cider vinegar for helping with digestion.

Hi shroper... I've been on a strict diet too. I'm in your same boat (college student).

Here are some side stuff you can do to help clean up your face. These have been proven to help many ppl on this forum.

Vitamin B5 Cure (A few people experienced hair thinning, but most did not.)

Acupunture - 5 people have done it and said as long as they were on it, their acne disappeared

Taurine Supplement

Magnesium Oxide supplement

Again, these are only the therapies that lots of ppl have found work on this board.

Your omega-3:omega-6 ratio seems out of wack, and that's bad for acne. For some of your meat, eat salmon or tuna, which will get the ratio back together. Otherwise, you have several sources of omega-6, but no great sources of omega-3.

Also try beatine HCl or apple cider vinegar for helping with digestion.

In would strongly suggest that you toss all vegetable fats, replace the olive oil with lard, tallow or ghee.

Always cook your veggies, most of the ones you listed should be thouroughly cooked except for maybe cucumber.

Since you are eating so little legumes just go ahead and stop them completley, replace with more meat.

The cod liver oil is great, consider also eating something like beef liver once in a while.

You're looking for mainly dietary changes so look out for any foods you may be allergic to and experiment.

Not much has been said about any topical treatments or what you're doing there. As above, I agree with the Betaine HCL and/or ACV internally. Also, take note of the Taurine listed by LiliVG.

As far as on the face check www.earthclinic.com for 3 pages of acne cures and some internal cures as well. You can also use ACV on your face but you'll have to figure out any water dilution if needed.

Another thing I learned off this site is using an aspirin mask once a day after washing. Basically it's just grinding up any cheap aspirin you can buy in bulk(noncoated) and wetting it into a paste and applying it on your face. Apply it heavier on active acne so all you can see is white and not your skin through it. After thoroughly drying you can scrub it off with your hands. I think you'll be surprised by the results, aspirin is a great anti inflammatory.

Also try witchhazel (Dickinson's or others 100%) topically morning and night after cleansing. Good luck

Is the meat you are eating organic? If not you may be consuming xenohormones in the form of pesticides/toxins built up in the animal fats, and if you have MPB and acne your hormones are definitely screwed up. Xenohormones are endocrine disruptors and cause your hormones to become unbalanced, google it and you'll find tons of info.

I would try eating more meat and fewer carbs.

Don't eat any significant carb foods like fruits or legumes or tubers (yams).

Only eat lots of fatty meats and low-carb veggies.

You will know you are on the right track when you feel more satisfied by your meals, less hungry and you have more energy...as a side-effect, your skin will also get clear :) .

Is the meat you are eating organic? If not you may be consuming xenohormones in the form of pesticides/toxins built up in the animal fats, and if you have MPB and acne your hormones are definitely screwed up. Xenohormones are endocrine disruptors and cause your hormones to become unbalanced, google it and you'll find tons of info.