Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I read up on using apple cider vinegar as a toner and decided to try it. Well I've been using it for three days now, and my skin is breaking out slightly worse than usual. I usually use BP and stopped using it all together. I am trying to cut myself off of the stuff because it makes the texture of my skin awful, dependent on it, and never completely clear no matter how good. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into if this is just a typical purge that I should wait out or my skin freaking out? Anyone with similar experience or knowledge on how long I should give this. I'm just in the worst mood ever about it.

aw :( I think it's hard to say at this point..It could just be a purging thing + your skin is getting used to a new topical routine, or it's possible that apple cider vinegar just isn't for you...I would say that if your skin doesn't look irritated (eg really red, flaky etc), then you should probably try sticking with it for a few weeks. Try not to pay too much attention to active breakouts until it has been a few weeks...the skin needs time to adjust. If ACV doesn't work, there are many other natural topical options so don't despair! everyone's skin is different. good luck!

oh also: what is your topical routine aside from the ACV?

what type of skin do you have?

aw :( I think it's hard to say at this point..It could just be a purging thing + your skin is getting used to a new topical routine, or it's possible that apple cider vinegar just isn't for you...I would say that if your skin doesn't look irritated (eg really red, flaky etc), then you should probably try sticking with it for a few weeks. Try not to pay too much attention to active breakouts until it has been a few weeks...the skin needs time to adjust. If ACV doesn't work, there are many other natural topical options so don't despair! everyone's skin is different. good luck!

oh also: what is your topical routine aside from the ACV?

what type of skin do you have?

it's true, conventional topicals can really dry the skin...that happened to me too (I actually had skin which was both flaky and oily at the same time!) One thing you might consider if you're getting irritation is diluting the toner a bit more...a lot of people start with 1 part acv to 8 parts water and then if it's not doing the job well enough, increase the acv.

Also I know it's scary to stop using conventional topicals, but I stopped using BP about a week or so ago and am very happy so far. My skin is in much better balance and doesn't have that consistently pink/irritated look. It really depends on your skin and how it responds to conventional topicals though, everyone is different but it might be worth it to just try all natural products for a few weeks, and if it doesn't work you can always go back to your old routine, no harm done. I suggest either researching online for ideas or you can check out apothena.com (that's where I got my stuff from...they're actually not too expensive). Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

A couple of recipes to start you off:

for a spot treatment (and also old red mark treatment): use 100% pure aloe vera gel (i like fruit of the earth)

for a great acne mask that also hydrates dry skin: 1 egg yolk, 2 tbspns RAW honey...the honey is antibacterial + it hydrates, the egg yolk has lots of vitamins and nutrients, esp. vitamin A = great for acne prone skin!

I read up on using apple cider vinegar as a toner and decided to try it. Well I've been using it for three days now, and my skin is breaking out slightly worse than usual. I usually use BP and stopped using it all together. I am trying to cut myself off of the stuff because it makes the texture of my skin awful, dependent on it, and never completely clear no matter how good. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into if this is just a typical purge that I should wait out or my skin freaking out? Anyone with similar experience or knowledge on how long I should give this. I'm just in the worst mood ever about it.
Are you using the ACV straightor diluting it? Using it straight might be a little harsh for your skin. I dilute mine and I love the effects.

Sorry if you've already mentioned diluting it.

ive been using acv since around thanksgiving and my skin has NEVER been better. honestly, with the acv, vitamin E oil, and zinc i have no active acne at all anymore.

BUUUT, at first i went through a horrible purging process, so i'm pretty sure it's normal. about a week after i started using it i purged once, looked horrible, stuck it out and im really glad that i did.

hang in there. i've had great success. :)

ive been using acv since around thanksgiving and my skin has NEVER been better. honestly, with the acv, vitamin E oil, and zinc i have no active acne at all anymore.

BUUUT, at first i went through a horrible purging process, so i'm pretty sure it's normal. about a week after i started using it i purged once, looked horrible, stuck it out and im really glad that i did.

Can I ask how severe your acne was and how bad/long etc the purging was in relation to it. My chin looks worse than ever, and I had a little bit show up on my cheeks after the first few days, which are healing up now, it's been about a week. Also, what are these other products you use??