Notifications
Clear all

accutane causing me to feel depressed?

MemberMember
(@ai3forever)

Posted : 01/27/2008 8:38 am

Im feeling depressed as I loss my gf when I had cystic acne. She's the first girl that really moved my heart and we had many sweet memories together. She left me and found another guy. All the while I had cystic acne I was thinking that was i once clear, I would fight back my girl.

But god was just playing with me, I was finally cleared but left with scars and little self confidence. It doesnt help much that when i talk to her now she basically ignores me or reply abruptly. Im also taking accutane currently and it cause me to feel depressed and the longing for my ex was a double blow.

My life is over now, and sometimes when my friends offer me a ciggie. Im tempted to try one. What do i have to lose? I have loss everything already.

MemberMember
(@hip-hop-is-life)

Posted : 01/27/2008 10:25 am

Im feeling depressed as I loss my gf when I had cystic acne. She's the first girl that really moved my heart and we had many sweet memories together. She left me and found another guy. All the while I had cystic acne I was thinking that was i once clear, I would fight back my girl.

But god was just playing with me, I was finally cleared but left with scars and little self confidence. It doesnt help much that when i talk to her now she basically ignores me or reply abruptly. Im also taking accutane currently and it cause me to feel depressed and the longing for my ex was a double blow.

My life is over now, and sometimes when my friends offer me a ciggie. Im tempted to try one. What do i have to lose? I have loss everything already.

well im only 16 almost 17..if your anywhere in my age range or still in school then your also very young and have alot to live..you havent lost anything..i think your depressed but i dont think the accutane is a cause for it..in this type of situation you have to just keep your head up and go out and have fun..its the easiest way to forget about your problems..and if you start smoking ciggarettes your acne will only get worse..dont do it bro..keep your head up..i have acne and i have a girlfriend and i know how tough it can be.

MemberMember
(@doejane)

Posted : 01/27/2008 4:30 pm

First off... What do you have to lose? The answer to that is obvious... smoking is bad for you. I think a better question would be how would having a ciggie help? I don't see how it could.

You do sound depressed... and this could be a combination of both accutane and life factors. It sounds like you may believe that your gf left because of your acne? I doubt it... but if she did, well the obvious thing to say is, why would you want a gf like that?

You are young I gather. The whole relationship thing is fickle at your age usually. You also have to realize that you need to move on from her. It is one of the hardest factors we face when a relationship ends...

"No one will ever love me like he/she did. No one will ever know me like he/she did" The truth is.. yes they will. If you let them. If your hung up on someone already gone... then the statement above is true.

If you can move on from the break-up and start to feel better, then your depression is situational. If you still find yourself stuck, whether you can move or not...then you need to talk to your doctor.

I really do hope that you get better tgan. If I sound brutal, I am sorry, but don't give up...

I envy you your youth, your body's capability of healing that much quicker and, that you still have so many great years ahead of you. Good luck dude!

MemberMember
(@incubus4284)

Posted : 01/29/2008 7:30 pm

I dont think its the accutane, the connection is unproven basically they try to use statistics in a bad way its probably not the accutane causing depression its probably just the acne, just wait till the accutane kicks in and you will feel 100 times better

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/01/2008 11:17 am

There are several people here that say they suffered from depression from accutane. If you feel as badly as you say, you should take it seriously.

I think you should post on the nutrition and holistic board. There are people there who have dealt with depression, including those who got it from accutane. There are supplements/diet changes and habits that can help. Fish oil is one that improves mood.

I've never suffered from depression so I don't know firsthand. I'm not in favor of accutane though. And I took it twice and the only thing it did for me was give me chapped lips. It did not clear my skin at all.

MemberMember
(@mg86)

Posted : 02/01/2008 7:02 pm

Hey Man,

I know what your going through trust me. I have nodular acne, never really got pimples just these stubborn ass bumps that would take anywhere from 1 - 2 weeks to fuck off. I also had a girl, she was a really sweet girl and out of the 15+ relationships I have had the only one I ever really loved. We were together for 2+ years, moved in together and then my skin started getting worse, though she loved me all the same I couldnt bring myself to go out clubbing and partying, living the life she wanted and in the end she left me for her manager, who had perfect skin, and i fell into depression.

Then i realised why would I want to be with a girl that isn't going to love me through the bad times, one who is so selfish she can't understand or even try to understand why I am acting the way I am.

Thats my short version but the moral is, learn to love yourself befor you try to let someone else love you. Because if you cant love you, who can? And don't say mother, brother, sister line.. heard that one plenty 😛

Just be glad your taking Accutane now and not wasting anymore time! I just got my bloodwork done yesterday, and hopefully this wknd i get my script. I know It is over kill for me, only getting 1 - 2 nodules every 2 weeks or so but im just so sick and tired of any acne i dont care anymore, ill use a nuke to squash the ant!

MemberMember
(@brotherz6)

Posted : 02/03/2008 8:10 pm

mg86 you inspire me man i feel like i have the same story as u

MemberMember
(@vanessa99)

Posted : 04/24/2015 4:18 am

I wish I had never gone on accutane. I'll never know if it gave me depression long-term, but my personality changed when I took it. My depression was bad during Accutane and is mild now. DHA-EPA balance omega-3's (2 capsules/day) and a Vitamin d3/K2 (be sure to get D3 not D2) have worked wonders for my depression. (Don't expect it to work overnight. It takes time.) Avoiding dairy helps my skin a lot. In hindsight being a teenager is such a small part of your life overall. I'm still in touch with 2 high school friends and when they think of me they think of all the fun we had-not my skin! I doubt they even remember my skin. My current dermatologist takes people off Accutane right away if they start to get sad. I think that's wise. I wish he had been my derm. Instead I did 3 rounds of Accutane. Everybody's biology is different. Drinking lots of clean water reduces sebum production. I wish I had stuck to nutritional approaches and topical approaches and avoided Accutane and avoided antibiotics. Don't hesitate to see a nutritionist. Eat lots of cruciferous vegetables AND leafy greens. If you're depressed, dHA-EPA balance omega 3s and vitamin d3 could help.