Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BASSIS

It could be so much worse

I saw a couple of people recently that really put some things into perspective and made my heart empathize for those who have acne worse than I do.

In fact, I have very light acne. It is light, but persistent, so those who I do see that do have acne, most often have it worse than I do. And I thank god that is my case.

There was a kid working at McDonald's today (no I wasn't at McShit to get a McTurdSandwich... I was just there...) who's had about the worse case of acne I can remember seeing. Inflamed cysts, nodules, papules, pustules of all sorts spotting up his entire face and neck. He was a nice kid, I can tell he was a little uncomfortable but still kept on with his duties like every other worker did. I left and I thought, "man, I feel so sorry for that kid... His acne is so severe, I can't imagine how much more he suffers than I do..."

About a week back I was in Whole Foods to get a salad. The girl who rang up my salad had a deeply scarred face. She was in her 20's like me and had obviously been suffering from acne for a long time. She still had some active cysts and papules spotting her cheeks and forehead, as well as scarring on her cheeks that will probably require laser surgery to repair. I felt exactly the same way about her as I do the kid working at McDonald's. "It could be so much worse". I'm gonna make sure I say a prayer tonight for both of these people and also thank god that my case is not as severe as theirs is.

In fact, there's a lot I can really be thankful for. I have a good family, good friends, good health, enough money to get by and some luxuries on top of it. Things aren't that bad actually. The fact that I have acne problems really isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. I just let it interfere with more than it should. There are afflictions I could have worse than acne... like cancer, aids, morbid obesity, elephantitis.... I'm thankful I have been dealt with mercyfully and given a good hand of cards to play in life. I think it's time I really stop looking at my own few spots and start thinking about how I can help other people who are suffering much worse than I am.

I agree, without sounding patronising, I do feel so so sorry for people that suffer with really severe acne and it certainly puts things in perspective.

I often roll my eyes at these sorts of posts because, although things could be a lot worse for those of us with milder acne, it could also be one whole hell of a lot better. And for most people, it is that much better. Adult acne sufferers are a minority.

Having said that, I like the fact that your post doesn't start out with the traditional preaching about how we could have something like cancer or some other fatal disease instead of acne(although you do get to that eventually). Hearing these stories about others with much worse acne does make me feel better, but not because they're worse off than I am. In fact, I'm very empathetic toward people with acne, and seeing or hearing of others suffering from it makes me depressed. What makes me feel better here is that these people obviously have the courage to go out and face the world. That's inspiring.

Thanks for sharing.

"Prayer is doing nothing, while still believing you're helping."

Faith is the substance of things not seen, the evidence of things hoped for...

Prayer + Faith can save the world....

I saw a couple of people recently that really put some things into perspective and made my heart empathize for those who have acne worse than I do.

In fact, I have very light acne. It is light, but persistent, so those who I do see that do have acne, most often have it worse than I do. And I thank god that is my case.

There was a kid working at McDonald's today (no I wasn't at McShit to get a McTurdSandwich... I was just there...) who's had about the worse case of acne I can remember seeing. Inflamed cysts, nodules, papules, pustules of all sorts spotting up his entire face and neck. He was a nice kid, I can tell he was a little uncomfortable but still kept on with his duties like every other worker did. I left and I thought, "man, I feel so sorry for that kid... His acne is so severe, I can't imagine how much more he suffers than I do..."

About a week back I was in Whole Foods to get a salad. The girl who rang up my salad had a deeply scarred face. She was in her 20's like me and had obviously been suffering from acne for a long time. She still had some active cysts and papules spotting her cheeks and forehead, as well as scarring on her cheeks that will probably require laser surgery to repair. I felt exactly the same way about her as I do the kid working at McDonald's. "It could be so much worse". I'm gonna make sure I say a prayer tonight for both of these people and also thank god that my case is not as severe as theirs is.

In fact, there's a lot I can really be thankful for. I have a good family, good friends, good health, enough money to get by and some luxuries on top of it. Things aren't that bad actually. The fact that I have acne problems really isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. I just let it interfere with more than it should. There are afflictions I could have worse than acne... like cancer, aids, morbid obesity, elephantitis.... I'm thankful I have been dealt with mercyfully and given a good hand of cards to play in life. I think it's time I really stop looking at my own few spots and start thinking about how I can help other people who are suffering much worse than I am.

Moments like what you experience are really heart wrinching....

but I know you gained so much needed insigths, and came out a better person.

May God always bless you...

I like you.

Heehee. I quoted it from the place I heard it from, but I like it too~ :D

It almost sounds like something Carl Sagan said? Am I warm/cold?

I like you.

Heehee. I quoted it from the place I heard it from, but I like it too~ :D

It almost sounds like something Carl Sagan said? Am I warm/cold?

Possibly. The quote came with an image, and didn't state an author. The actual words are: "Prayer: how to do nothing and still think you're helping." I found a whole bunch of them, actually. I don't know who they're by, if they're by the same person, but I thought they were neat and inspiring (well, to me). =P