Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

So, how many of you have taken Taurine and what were your results?

Even more reason to add a multimineral to this. I'm still looking for a good multimineral. I'm looking for:

- not listed as "amino acid chelate" form. I have a really severe reaction to those, and usually means they're chelated with glutamate, an amino acid that should be kept at very low levels, not supplemented.

- in capsule form, not tablet. Tablets are notorious for not absorbing.

- includes all of these: Magnesium, calcium, chromium, selenium, zinc, and copper.

- the amount per capsule shouldn't be too high. I do not subscribe to the "More is always better" principle. Overdosing on minerals can be dangerous, and some people do take more thinking it will be better.

So if anyone can find or knows of a multimineral that meets those above qualifications, it would be much appreciated! :)

That mineral complex from Biocare is the best one I've seen so far, and I'd say comes close enough to my ideal that I would buy it if I found it on the shelf in a store. Price is important though, I want the supplements I recommend to be accessible for most people, so that could be an issue. Good to know that what I'm looking for is "out there" though, lol.

I did an experiment today. I took about 500 grams of taurine powder with lunch, 500 with dinner, and then had 3 glasses of red wine this evening at a friend's party. I just came home and took another teaspoon of taurine.

The last time I drank alcohol, I woke up with two whiteheads the next morning. Tomorrow morning I'll see if taking taurine right after drinking will prevent a post-drinking breakout.

Keep your fingers crossed.

I did an experiment today. I took about 500 grams of taurine powder with lunch, 500 with dinner, and then had 3 glasses of red wine this evening at a friend's party. I just came home and took another teaspoon of taurine.

The last time I drank alcohol, I woke up with two whiteheads the next morning. Tomorrow morning I'll see if taking taurine right after drinking will prevent a post-drinking breakout.

I found this article which says that practice can protect your liver from the damage that alcohol would normally cause. :) It's only mentioned briefly though. But this article mentions a lot of other benefits of taurine too, so overall, a good article. http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/article/2917/taurine.html

This study http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/1....1998.tb03674.x suggests that alcohol consumption may increase the absorption of taurine supplementation, but inhibits the production of natural taurine production by the body.

sometimes this forum frustrates me to no end. Yes i've tried taurine and no it didn't really help that much at all. When will you guys ever realise that fighting acne is all about substantially increasing soluble fiber. If this doesn't sink into your skulls then you are all completely stupid and deserve the acne that you have. Listen for once in your lives.

sometimes this forum frustrates me to no end. Yes i've tried taurine and no it didn't really help that much at all. When will you guys ever realise that fighting acne is all about substantially increasing soluble fiber. If this doesn't sink into your skulls then you are all completely stupid and deserve the acne that you have. Listen for once in your lives.

Wow, strong words there.

If increasing soluble fiber made you clear, then why did you feel the need to try another supplement?

Different things work for different people. And not even 100%, as we see from your example.

Alfi

But wouldn't they have gone into ketosis? From what I understand, ketones acidify the blood.

I think you are thinking of ketoacidosis which is much different than ketosis.

No, ketoacidosis is a state where the acid level has exceded a certain level so as to be extremely dangerous. Ketosis is just the point where your body has begun to rely on ketones for energy instead of glucose. But that doesn't mean that ketones aren't acidifying, they are, which is what leads to the state of ketoacidosis in extreme cases. I was just under the impression that acidifying your blood wasn't a good idea, and ketones are acidifying.

These quotes from wikipedia -

"The α-hydrogen of a ketone is far more acidic (pKa ≈ 20) than the hydrogen of a regular alkane (pKa ≈ 50)."

and

"Ketosis should not be confused with ketoacidosis (diabetic ketoacidosis or the less common alcoholic ketoacidosis), which is severe ketosis causing the pH of the blood to drop below 7.2."

Also this site: http://www.molecularfitness.com/hcn1_0/art...58-7f4bfea656f1

"The European Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a study on weight loss diets done by researchers at Duke University Medical Center. The study found that both low-carbohydrate and fat diets resulted in decreased blood pH (acidosis). Only the low carbohydrate resulted in a mild ketosis, whereas a low-fat diet did not."

- suggests to me that ketosis has an acidifying effect, which in extremes causes the blood pH to drop to dangerous levels, at which point it is called ketoacidosis. Even the name "ketoacidosis" suggest acidosis induced by ketones. So while I am aware of the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis, that doesn't mean they aren't related, or that ketones do not have acidifying properties.

I could be wrong though.

Taurine was too strong a diuretic for me (excessive urination) so much so I was up 5 times a night in the bathroom, could hardly get a block of sleep. I discontinued. Not a success here.

Taurine was too strong a diuretic for me (excessive urination) so much so I was up 5 times a night in the bathroom, could hardly get a block of sleep. I discontinued. Not a success here.

"The α-hydrogen of a ketone is far more acidic (pKa �‰ˆ 20) than the hydrogen of a regular alkane (pKa �‰ˆ 50)."

and

"Ketosis should not be confused with ketoacidosis (diabetic ketoacidosis or the less common alcoholic ketoacidosis), which is severe ketosis causing the pH of the blood to drop below 7.2."

"The European Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a study on weight loss diets done by researchers at Duke University Medical Center. The study found that both low-carbohydrate and fat diets resulted in decreased blood pH (acidosis). Only the low carbohydrate resulted in a mild ketosis, whereas a low-fat diet did not."

- suggests to me that ketosis has an acidifying effect, which in extremes causes the blood pH to drop to dangerous levels, at which point it is called ketoacidosis. Even the name "ketoacidosis" suggest acidosis induced by ketones. So while I am aware of the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis, that doesn't mean they aren't related, or that ketones do not have acidifying properties.

I could be wrong though.

I am taking low-dose accutane (10mg/ every other day) and just added L-Taurine to my regime. I take 1000mg with each meal.

I am wondering if the following B-Complex supplement is sufficient (I usually take it in the morning)???

Vitamin C (magnesium ascorbate)(Advan-C) 100 mg 167%

Vitamin B1 (thiamine HCl) 250 mg 16,667%

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) 10 mg 588%

Vitamin B3 (niacinamide) 100 mg 500%

Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine HCl) 100 mg 5,000%

Folic Acid 800 mcg 200%

Vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) 500 mcg 8,333%

Biotin 500 mcg 167%

Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) 100 mg 1,000%

I am also taking Lactoferrin 250mg/3x day to help strengthen my immune system.

I am still breaking out, especially along the jawline/neck area. I'm assuming this is hormonal, therefore I have been drinking 2-3 cups of Spearmint Tea to reduce androgen levels.

Any tips?

- Eric

"The α-hydrogen of a ketone is far more acidic (pKa ��€��† 20) than the hydrogen of a regular alkane (pKa ��€��† 50)."

and

I could be wrong though.

Just because the basic elements of a ketone are acidic doesn't mean they "acidify" the blood or alter blood PH in a normal healthy individual. As I stated previously, it was the high level of BLOOD SUGAR in diabetics due to absence or resistance to insulin that causes ketoacidosis. A healthy body regulates the amount of ketones in the blood the same way it regulates the amount of glucose. Therefore, healthy individuals on a ketogenic diet do NOT need to worry about their blood becoming too acidic.

Citing a study that shows both low-carb and low-fat diets produce acidosis doesn't prove that ketones acidify the blood. Otherwise the low-fat dieters would not have also experienced acidosis. That should tell you something else is involved that is not related to ketones.

I am taking low-dose accutane (10mg/ every other day) and just added L-Taurine to my regime. I take 1000mg with each meal.

I am wondering if the following B-Complex supplement is sufficient (I usually take it in the morning)???

Vitamin C (magnesium ascorbate)(Advan-C) 100 mg 167%

Vitamin B1 (thiamine HCl) 250 mg 16,667%

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) 10 mg 588%

Vitamin B3 (niacinamide) 100 mg 500%

Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine HCl) 100 mg 5,000%

Folic Acid 800 mcg 200%

Vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) 500 mcg 8,333%

Biotin 500 mcg 167%

Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) 100 mg 1,000%

I am also taking Lactoferrin 250mg/3x day to help strengthen my immune system.

I am still breaking out, especially along the jawline/neck area. I'm assuming this is hormonal, therefore I have been drinking 2-3 cups of Spearmint Tea to reduce androgen levels.

Any tips?

- Eric

anyone have any side effects on 1000mg of Tauraine 3x/day ?

I have gotten some mild headaches recently, and wondering if this could be caused by the Taurine?

What's with the dry mouth and urination, too? Does anyone understand this mechanism?

- Eric

I just searched "Taurine" because I was curious to see if/how it could relate to glutathione (someone on that thread I posted had suggested there could be a connection). I find it interesting that a lot of you are finding success with a combination of B6 and Taurine. I didn't think to post this on my thread, but my dr. puts everyone on B-6 who is on amino acids. They work together synergistically, apparently - and apparently a lot of you guys figured this out on your own. That's really amazing!

I also wanted to post that the "good" form of B-6 is called P 5 P = pyroxidal 5 phosphte. The other form can cause nerve damage, especially if taken in high amounts. Great to hear so many people are getting clear!