Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Been following the DKR relatively strictly for the last 3 weeks or so and am happy with the results. For the same period of time I've been taking the following supplements/doses:

Zinc - 25mg

Omega-3 - 1034mg

Vitamin A - 860μg (2500IU)

Vitamin C - 1000mg

Obviously the A (nor C) are recommended by the DKR specifically, but I'm very curious as to what Vitamin A in particular does for the skin? In a dose this low does it do anything but ensure there is no deficiency? And if there was a deficiency, what would that result in?

I've read that accutane works by shrinking the oil glands, but obviously that's A in a modified and huge dose (right?), so by taking such a small amount would there be any benefit?

And for both the A and zinc I'm interested in what doses people are taking, and if what I'm taking is enough or not. Dan seems to suggest 50mg of zinc daily whereas I'm only taking 25mg, so should I bump that up?

The only reason I haven't just taken two tablets is because my zinc and A are in one tablet, and the bottle says 2500IU (content per tablet) is the maximum RDI for the A, and therefore taking 2 would shoot me well over that.

Thanks in advance... just trying to learn a little more!

Megadosing of Vitamin A (ie Accutane) reduces sebum production, that's why mostly everyone gets dry skin while on it. Less sebum = less clogged pores I guess.

I really wouldn't supplement Vitamin A...just get it from carrots, sweet potatoes, and meat. It's such an easy vitamin to get through diet alone.

The rest looks good but I would double the dose of fish oil and zinc.

Thanks, do small doses of A achieve the same thing to a lesser degree though?

I've been munching on plenty of carrots each day, I've read that the negative effects of Vitamin A are only resultant from the artificial (supplement) forms, is that true?

I have doubled the dose of fish oil already, and will double the dose of zinc when possible (probably buy another 25mg zinc-only supplement and add it to what I'm taking now).

About the fish oil, while it says 1034mg Omega-3, it's only 600mg EPA/DHA - does that mean I should actually take 3-4 daily to get the required 2mg?

About the fish oil, while it says 1034mg Omega-3, it's only 600mg EPA/DHA - does that mean I should actually take 3-4 daily to get the required 2mg?

Yes. 3-4 grams is even better, but 2 grams will be quite helpful on its own.

And as long as you're not eating like a pound of carrots each day, you won't get any adverse effects from its beta carotene. The only side effect from natural beta carotene is an orange tinge to the skin, but again, you would have to be taking in insane amounts for that to happen.