Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone,

Right now I'm taking 10,000 IU of vit A per day, and plan on reducing to 5,000 IU next week. I am thinking of sticking with that amount for a while. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts on the subject are? What amount of vit A does everyone think is safe and effective? Also what are your thoughts about vit A versus beta carotene? Is beta carotene as effective, and how much does one take?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Right now I'm taking 10,000 IU of vit A per day, and plan on reducing to 5,000 IU next week. I am thinking of sticking with that amount for a while. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts on the subject are? What amount of vit A does everyone think is safe and effective? Also what are your thoughts about vit A versus beta carotene? Is beta carotene as effective, and how much does one take?

Thanks!

I drink a glass of 100% pure carrot juice every day instead of taking a vitamin A supplement. Each glass has 700% of your daily value. I think it helps, but I take many other supplements, and make a substantial effort to eat right. Not to mention the BP and AHA and whatnot, so I guess the individual effects of vitamin A for me would be a very difficult to gage. Still... it tastes great! ...That is... if you like carrots... I guess a lot of people think pure carrot juice tastes terrible. Oh well. More for me I suppose.

carrot juice is fucking gross, cooked carrots are gross as well... i prefer raw carrots.

don't take so much vitamin A, you can overdose. the healthiest way to get it is from eating beta-carotene rich foods.

Watch out for Vitamin A toxicity.

You are much better getting Vitamin A from Beta Carotene. You can't overdose on Beta Carotene because your body only converts it to Vitamin A as needed. However it is stored in the liver and fat cells so you don't have to worry about not having enough in your system at any one time.

Vitamin A is stored in the body as well but your body cannot deal with too much without having serious toxic effects.

Also, you don't need Vitamin A or Beta Carotene every day. Like other fat soluble vitamins your body stores them and uses them as needed. So your diet can be flexible. You don't need to worry about getting it everyday. Just a few times a week is more than enough.

Watch out for Vitamin A toxicity.

You are much better getting Vitamin A from Beta Carotene. You can't overdose on Beta Carotene because your body only converts it to Vitamin A as needed. However it is stored in the liver and fat cells so you don't have to worry about not having enough in your system at any one time.

Vitamin A is stored in the body as well but your body cannot deal with too much without having serious toxic effects.

Also, you don't need Vitamin A or Beta Carotene every day. Like other fat soluble vitamins your body stores them and uses them as needed. So your diet can be flexible. You don't need to worry about getting it everyday. Just a few times a week is more than enough.

carrot juice is not gross! It's actually sweet... like sugar cane juice to me. I love it!! But the problem for me is that it causes constipation problems :(

Can someone knowledgeable on the subject explain the difference between artificial and natural sources of vitamin A in relation to the terms "used as necessary"?

If natural sources, ie. beta carotene (carrots, pumpkin, etc) are stored in the body and only converted to vitamin A as needed, does this mean that eating more doesn't actually force your body to use more? Seems a little pointless to increase natural vitamin A consumption if usage doesn't go up as well.

And in comparison, are artificial sources ie. vitamin A supplements (retinyl acetate, etc) forced upon the body and is all used for the purpose at hand, within a reasonable amount of time after consumption (I guess reducing sebum/oil production is the primary goal of vitamin A in terms of acne, right?). Does accutane fall in the same boat as the artificial vitamin A sources?

I'm interested in a detailed answer, I take 2500-5000IU of Vitamin A daily, and eat at least 2 large carrots + a quarter pumpkin when possible. I'm interested in knowing how these affect my body and my acne.