Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmoore

mandelic versus salicylic

which of these two acids(mandelic or salicylic) is more oil-soluble?

which one has water solube properties?

do these acids work in cleansers or do they have to be left on face longer to peel?

With Mandelic acid, you should apply it after washing your face on its own, and leave it alone for as long as possible. It's not thick and won't form a layer you can "peel".

They are both organic compounds with alcohol functional groups and thus they have 'polar' regions, which makes them soluble in water, which is also a polar substance. Oils, which are effectivly non-polar, do not mix with polar substances without using an emulsifier (- which reduces the surface tension of water). In short, they are both soluble in water, but neither should be significantly soluble in oil.

They are both organic compounds with alcohol functional groups and thus they have 'polar' regions, which makes them soluble in water, which is also a polar substance.

alcohol??

Which one is more effective at cleaning out pores? I've been using BHA for a year and it has indeed cleaned out my pores but not 100%.

So I can't say how accurate this is but here are the Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow.

Salicylic Acid = 2.2

Mandelic Acid = 0.6

To me, this suggests that Salicylic Acid is, can't find my calculator but say, 13 times more fat soluble than Mandelic Acid. I guess this is what you would expect as eurovision50 was pointing out in Mandelic Acid the polar groups - alcohol (OH) and carboxyl (COOH) - are further away from the phenyl ring than in Salicylic Acid. But they are chemically very similar. You have to take into account that with Salicylic Acid coming in 1-2% and Mandelic Acid coming in 10-15% the difference will be reduced simply by one being more concentrated than the other.

Which will be better at getting into pores or clearing blackheads? I have no idea. I imagine that sebum is very complex and the clogged pores will contain dead skins cells as well as oil so I'm not sure that it would be predictable.

Which one is more effective at cleaning out pores? I've been using BHA for a year and it has indeed cleaned out my pores but not 100%.

mandelic acid is from the AHA group

salicylic is the BHA

Both can be used in combination (though not at the same time) to achieve a clearer complexions.

AHA is used primarily for exfoliating the surface of the skin with BHA goes deeper into the pore. e

Salicylic is definitely more lipid-soluble than mandelic .... though mandelic is more lipid soluble than other AHAs. (This is discussed in more detail in the mandelic thread.)

Salicylic is not effective in a cleanser; you need a leave-on product that is mild enough to stay on your face for at least 30 minutes. Paula's Choice makes a really good BHA product that is low pH (for effective exfoliation) yet not irritating.

Because mandelic is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, it is an effective ingredient in a cleanser. The cleanser won't do anything for blackheads, though; for exfoliation, you need the leave-on product.

So far as I know, mandelic products are only sold online or thru spas and salons.

You can find the NuCelle product line on Amazon.com, I think .... and the Vivant line is available through www.betterhealthyskin.com

For blackheads and clogged pores, a mandelic cleanser will not be particularly effective; it doesn't stay on the skin long enough to exfoliate the pores. I suggest a leave-on product in the 10% - 15% strength.