Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ugh

Metrogel 1%

I have been using Differin Gel for over 4 months now. The blackheads on my forehead have pretty much gone away. However, I still have periodic breakouts and red spots. Also, and more damaging, I stopped using the Differin on my cheecks 3 months ago, yet now I have a weird shaped rash on both cheeks. Further, the area around my mouth is really red, and I never applied Differin there. Finally, I applied Differin to the upper portion of my nose once, and now I can see more and more blood vessels as the weeks go by...

As a result, my derm said that I had Rosacea (in all honesty, I hate my derm and will be going elsewhere next time). He prescribed Metrogel 1%. Has anyone used this? I tried Noritrate on my own and it made me breakout in only 3-days. Also, my derm told me to apply the Metrogel twice a day, but the insert says use only once. Has anyone used Metrogel twice a day? Finally, my derm sucks and didn't really know how much I should apply (he eventually settled on "twice the amount of Differin"). Can anyone tell me how much I should use?

Thanks.

Yes, I use MetroGEL (not cream). For maintenance, I use it once daily. During an outbreak or flare, I use it twice daily. I use a thin coat to the affected areas immediately after washing. (See my signature for details.)

I have been using Differin Gel for over 4 months now. The blackheads on my forehead have pretty much gone away. However, I still have periodic breakouts and red spots. Also, and more damaging, I stopped using the Differin on my cheecks 3 months ago, yet now I have a weird shaped rash on both cheeks. Further, the area around my mouth is really red, and I never applied Differin there. Finally, I applied Differin to the upper portion of my nose once, and now I can see more and more blood vessels as the weeks go by...

As a result, my derm said that I had Rosacea (in all honesty, I hate my derm and will be going elsewhere next time). He prescribed Metrogel 1%. Has anyone used this? I tried Noritrate on my own and it made me breakout in only 3-days. Also, my derm told me to apply the Metrogel twice a day, but the insert says use only once. Has anyone used Metrogel twice a day? Finally, my derm sucks and didn't really know how much I should apply (he eventually settled on "twice the amount of Differin"). Can anyone tell me how much I should use?

Thanks.

Yes, I use MetroGEL (not cream). For maintenance, I use it once daily. During an outbreak or flare, I use it twice daily. I use a thin coat to the affected areas immediately after washing. (See my signature for details.)

Well, I can't really call it dryness, but there is something that happens when I have an outbreak and it starts to heal. It seems like flaking, but it's not from dryness, it's sort of from the skin cells kind of reproducing quickly...or something - I'm not sure. That's the best way I can describe it. I still exfoliate and moisturise even when having an outbreak. Seems like it looks better and clears up faster that way.

About the redness - there are some people that stay pretty "flushed" all the time. It really depends on the individual and their exposure to triggers and how under control the rosacea is.

I cant tell you about the rash part as I don't get them. The metrogel I used never dried my skin. As I said I really don't think I had rosacea but food allergies or reactions. If you have a rash along with flushing on your cheeks I would suspect roscea. Have you gone to the rosacea web site?Actually not sure about the site but I get a publication called "Rosacea Review" from the national rosacea society.I have address if your interested.

Good luck with new Dr.

Is the MetroGel supposed to make skin worse before it gets better? I seem to be getting some small bumps. However, this might be because my skin is extremely oily and my pores are big. Ugh!

No. I don't think so. I had a problem with Metro Cream making me break out, but the Gel was okay. I just think the little ones that come up for the first several days were already on their way. Also, it's anecdotal, but a low glycemic index diet seems to help me.