Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi Dawn and JustaMomToo,

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragemnt. I'll have do what you've said about talking to Wynne. I've read a lot of her posts and she does seem to have great advice.

Like I've mentioned in my long story I've had hormonal acne for many years. You'd think I'd know what acne is by now huh? :lol: Well, when the ER Doc looked at my face, he wasn't sure but he thought I had Staph and hormonal acne together. When he mentioned Staph, I didn't know what that was, didn't really think much of it. I thought it was just a form of acne until I looked up the information about it. I really think that the Doc was correct. When you look at my face, you can see hormonal acne, so you'd think that I have hormonal acne but you can't really see the Staph. The Staph was way beneath my skin and it started to bubble up but didn't really show a noticable form or color unless I pinched my skin together to bring out the form. (Maybe that's why my face looks chunkier than before) They had whiteheads on the top layer so they trick you into thinking they're acne but they're not. They hurted, burned, stung and were/are itchy like crazy. I knew it wasn't ordinary acne when I was in the ER. Anything that came to contact with the Staph irritated them, even my hair brushing against them. I've had to tie my hair back for a while now. I read that Bactrim will help with Staph so the Doc prescribed something helpful. I'm happy about that. I've been on the medication for about five days now. The Staph is now showing their form by turning red and they're slowly but surely going down.

Everyone was shocked, they all thought it was just acne. It was/is Staph, NO WONDER NOTHING HAD WORKED TO TREAT IT. I tried to think back about how I could have gotten the Staph. I know I didn't get it from just going off the pill. I believe my hormonal acne came from that though. A while back, I had left some earphones outside. The next day I used them without sterilizing. I remember around that time, I began to notice the Staph. One small size beside each side of my face near my ears. I didn't contribute that to the earphones because I thought it was just acne. Although the Staph was very painful then. I was doing the Manuka Honey masks at that time and one night one of the Staph popped and the stuff that came out was really runny (blood and white stuff). I had suspicion that it wasn't just acne but I ignored them because I've never had anything like that. Thought maybe they'd just go away by themselves. They didn't. Instead they spreaded down my jawlines. Became huge. Plus having used benzoyl peroxide irritated them. I believe the Manuka Honey was trying to kill the bacteria because I read Manuka is able to kill Staph. But I couldn't really keep Manuka Honey on my face 24 hrs./day with a gauze. Maybe if I used another form of Manuka, like Manuka Oil it could have worked. Haven't tried that. I'll have to find out if eating a lot of Manuka Honey will work as an antibiotic like Bactrim.

Anyway, this has been an experience. I don't feel it's a good one but I'll take it as a learning experience. At this point, all I want is to have the Staph gone. I can't believe I waited about a month before getting an oral antibiotic. I hope anyone who has suspicion that they have a really painful spot on any part of their body to go see a doctor and get an oral antibiotic asap before it gets worse.

Good news...I received the Nucelle Mandelic Acid Serum 10% today. Guess backorder wasn't as long as they said it would be. Since I shouldn't use it on the staph, I've decided to experiment with it on my chin and other little spots of hormonal zits. I talked to one of the licensed estetician and she said it's fine to spot treat. She told me to start off slow just like how Jenstar mentioned.

Since I have combination-oily skin, I've gone back to using the Cetaphil for normal/oily skin since I know it's helped me before. This Cetaphil does have sodium laureth sulfate which is a 3 in being comedogenic but I think it's fine to use. At least it's not a 5 :D

Day 9 (3 pm): Ortho Tri-Cyclen/ Day 5 (1 Morning and 1 Evening): Bactrim

So far no terrible side effects from either the Ortho or Bactrim. Although one night my mouth was extremely dry. I think that was due to the Bactrim. I drank about 5 glasses of water in a row and my mouth was still dry. Since I've been on Bactrim, I've been drinking about a gallon/more of water a day which a pharmacist mentioned for me to do so the Bactrim won't clog up my liver and kidneys. Been to the bathroom a lot. :lol: A lot of my hormonal acne has gone away or there are just red marks left and the Staph is slowly shrinking each day. :dance: I've decided to take a lower dose of acidophilus once a day after a later meal to help with digestion. I'm not taking too much since the Bactrim will kill the acidophilus anyway and I don't want to slow down the healing. I also haven't been drinking my green tea since it has caffeine. I'll probably go back to that after I'm done with Bactrim. Well, I'm limiting my meat and dairy intake. I haven't eaten much dairy in the past but I did eat a lot of meat. Going to eat more fruits, vegetable, and grains. Plus exercise 30 mins./day. I'm planning to use baby hairbrush for exfoliation soon.

Supplements: Rainbow Light Multivitamin/Mineral, low dose of acidophilus (namebrand: Kyodophilus), b-vitamins, opti-zinc (30mg).

Morning

Cetaphil for normal/oily skin

Evening

Cetaphil for normal/oily skin

Nucelle 10% (spot treat on chin and some zits)

Thank you all for your help...much appreciated!!!

I did some more research on Manuka Honey and Staph. This webpage http://www.manukahoneyusa.com/BurnsWoundsU...#Active_UMF_10+ suggests using manuka honey umf 18+ or 19.8+. Applying the honey on a gauze then apply on the Staph/superbug. Change dressing every 12 hours. I would do that but I don't think I'd like to have honey on my face for so long. At least not now since my face hurts so much. I'd do it if it was on my arm or something but not on my face. I wonder if it has to be a umf 19.8+ or could a umf 16+ work? I'll have to seek this out some more.

I was reading this about Manuka Honey and Staph http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/view_press...php?rssID=35168 It took me to a another webpage http://www.honeymarkproducts.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=4 where they sell First Aid Antiseptic Lotion that has Manuka Honey in it. I wouldn't mind gently putting like a lotion or ointment on my face (leaving it on), but at this point I don't want to spend another $20 or more on a Manuka Product that may or may not work. There are so many different companies that sell the Manuka Honey Products, it's hard to distiguish which ones work or are better than others.

All in all, I am thinking that Manuka Honey can be beneficial with healing acne and other skin infections such as Staph. I guess one would have to find the right form to use. Maybe a lotion or ointment form would be better for external usage since one could just leave it on his/her face all day long without having the honey drip off. I was using the honey to just treat acne so I didn't keep it on my face long enough to see if it would kill the Staph. Manuka can help in healing, but it may also bring out impurities. I think that's what was happening when I did my Manuka Honey experiment. The Manuka was clearing up existing zits but I was getting new breakouts daily. Which could have been because of hormonal breakouts as well. Idk. I'm not sure how long it would have continued to bring out impurities before seeing cleared results. The honey form doesn't really peel like an AHA therefore it may not be a good exfoliator. I hear the Mandelic acid would bring out impurities at first then eventually around the third or fourth week of using it, it'll be cleared up. Plus it does exfoliate by peeling layers off.

I did eat some of the Manuka Honey but not a lot. I am still wondering if just eating more of the honey would get rid of the Staph. And also wondering what umf would be effective for that. I just skimmed this page http://www.activemanukahoneyusa.com/FAQ.htm and found that it does but probably has to be umf 18+? Not sure. If eating it could clear up a Staph infection then it could also clear up acne as well right? Probably have to eat the honey daily. Maybe hormonal acne is different since it is caused by androgens. I'm still learning. The only thing at the moment I can think of that is androgen binding is birth control pills. Woudn't it be awesome if Manuka Honey was an androgen binding medicine?

Has anyone eaten Manuka Honey to clear up a Staph infection on the skin? Was it effective and how long did it take to clear up? Could it be even more effective than Bactrim? Studies show that Manuka Honey would not have the negative side effects that antibiotics have. For instance it doesn't kill off good bacteria. Well, I'm not going to eat it while I'm on Bactrim just because I don't know if it could interfere with the drug. Plus I only have a umf 5+ and umf 16+. I'd rather hear from others out there who have tried Manuka rather than just reading about it. If anyone has tried eating the honey for healing, please inform me. Thanks!

Hey Manuka Honey,

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/DIM-Clear...ek-t187299.html

Check it out :D

Wow, that thread is popular at the moment. Dim clearing up acne under one week sounds too good to be true. If it's true, anyone who sells Dim will be rich! I'd try it but since I already started on the birth control pills, I don't think I should right now. I'll look more into it. Sounds like it could really work since it's more of an estrogen dominance/control thing. Not sure if it's androgen binding though but some of the people there think it is. I see that you are using it Wildflower. Let me know if it works.

Manuka Honey,

I am so glad that the ER told you what you had! I think that is great. I hope that you are seeing results soon and you aren't in so much pain.

One thing I would recommend is giving a call to your derm or Primary care physician if you haven't yet and tell them what you were diagnosed with. They may want to see you sooner or make sure everything is going ok with what you are doing. Also, if you don't feel like you are getting better, call them!

The only reason why I say that is I went to an immediate care for my face in January and they diag with impetigo - (it's like strep throat on your face) not as bad as a staph infection I bet, but when I saw my doc, a month later because it came back, he said it was something else! Both times the docs gave me a topical too. I was wondering why they didn't give you a topical. But all in all the moral of my blabbing is Just like you I WAITED TOO LONG! I will never do that again!

I certainly don't know much about honey, but if you can eat it - then try it! It appears to have some great healing properties! Your body needs to heal from the inside out - (just my opinion). The cetaphil cleanser is fine I am sure, it is gentle and that or purpose or the basis bar is my favorite right now! The purpose pump soap is great taking off my eye makeup in the shower - it doesn't sting at all!

Take care, I will look to hear more good news from you soon!

Hey Manuka!

So... you been to the bathroom a lot??? :lol: I giggled at that because when I was reading that the pharmacist told you to drink tons of water, I immediately thought you'd be in the bathroom LOTS, haha and then you said you were! Yes, you definitely DO need to drink a lot of water while on Bactrim! Be sure you read the acidophilus because it's totally good to take, just not at the same time as the Bactrim. You need to space them apart. The acidophilus is good not only to help restore some good little guys in your digestive tract, but I've read so many other good things about it helping with overall good health.

I have to tell you though - WOW - you poor gal - WHAT you have been through is HORRIBLE! I love the advice Dwhaa gave you above. Make sure you do a follow-up appointment with your derm or GP or fav doctor because staph can be quite resistant to treatment. Since it seems to be healing up, and Bactrim is great for that, I'm sure you won't have any problems. However, you should have it in your medical file so they are sure to watch out for any lingering signs of it or new signs.

I know you like the internal approach, which I totally agree with. Great manuka link too, btw. I don't know if it would have been able to kill the staph even if you ate a lot of it. I think all your nutritional support is great for you, and can only help your body and skin. I agree that you have to look at this whole thing from a holistic approach and help your skin heal from the inside and outside. I'm surprised the doc didn't give you anything as far as a topical is concerned though. I think your skin has been through so much that any way you can support it with healing topicals, that would be a good idea when it's ready for that.

Don't worry about that baby brush now because the last thing you want to do is spread around any bacteria which might not have been killed off yet. I think you need to use a gentle approach to your skin while your Bactrim is killing the staph, unless, your derm or doc can give you something more specific for your skin. Also be careful when you're touching your skin. Oozing, weeping sores can spread the infection. Don't be touching for sure! The last thing you want is to keep spreading it around. UGH!

So far it sounds like it's all healing up nicely. Please keep us posted as we're concerned about our little Manuka Honey! :comfort:

Stay well!

Manuka Honey,

I am so glad that the ER told you what you had! I think that is great. I hope that you are seeing results soon and you aren't in so much pain.

One thing I would recommend is giving a call to your derm or Primary care physician if you haven't yet and tell them what you were diagnosed with. They may want to see you sooner or make sure everything is going ok with what you are doing. Also, if you don't feel like you are getting better, call them!

The only reason why I say that is I went to an immediate care for my face in January and they diag with impetigo - (it's like strep throat on your face) not as bad as a staph infection I bet, but when I saw my doc, a month later because it came back, he said it was something else! Both times the docs gave me a topical too. I was wondering why they didn't give you a topical. But all in all the moral of my blabbing is Just like you I WAITED TOO LONG! I will never do that again!

I certainly don't know much about honey, but if you can eat it - then try it! It appears to have some great healing properties! Your body needs to heal from the inside out - (just my opinion). The cetaphil cleanser is fine I am sure, it is gentle and that or purpose or the basis bar is my favorite right now! The purpose pump soap is great taking off my eye makeup in the shower - it doesn't sting at all!

Take care, I will look to hear more good news from you soon!

It's interesting you mentioned going to the derm because that's exactly what I did Friday. I told them that I possibly had a Staph infection and they let me go in that day asap. I'm happy I was able to get in. The derm scraped a piece of the stuff off my face and took some samples. I should find out Tuesday what exactly it is that I have. I guess going to a derm is very important when dealing with skin problems...derms just know how to deal with it better. He also put me on a week of Rifampin to go with the Bactrim.

I've avoided reading about these medications because I just want them to work. Scared to find out anything bad. I don't know why they don't want me to put anyting topical on. Maybe they think it would just irritate the problem and they must believe that healing from the inside out would work best. The derm recommended for me to put 3 tablespoons of white vinegar in a basin of water and use a cloth to just pat onto the infected area. I guess that's his external remedy for me. I'll have to try it soon. No one's going to want to be near me though. :lol:

Don't worry about that baby brush now because the last thing you want to do is spread around any bacteria which might not have been killed off yet. I think you need to use a gentle approach to your skin while your Bactrim is killing the staph, unless, your derm or doc can give you something more specific for your skin. Also be careful when you're touching your skin. Oozing, weeping sores can spread the infection. Don't be touching for sure! The last thing you want is to keep spreading it around. UGH!

So far it sounds like it's all healing up nicely. Please keep us posted as we're concerned about our little Manuka Honey! :comfort:

Stay well!

You're so sweet. I went to a derm and he prescribed me a week's supply of Rifampin to take with the Bactrim. He did mention patting my face with vinegar water and allowing it to air dry. I'm planning to do that. The ER doc and even the derm didn't warn me about spreading the infection. I had read about that myself. Thank you for that advice. I've been using disposable paper towels to wipe my face. I've been a disinfecting queen! :lol: The night I realized how serious I had it and knew that it could spread, I disinfected everything that I had come into contact with such as remote controls, door handles, light switches, telephones, etc. I Washed all my towels, blankets and pillowcases (change this everyday). Pretty much cleaned the whole house and warned my family about making sure they use bandages for any cuts they might have. I don't want anyone to get this darn thing.

I am SO glad you got right in to see the derm!!! Now he will do those tests to see exactly what you have because the ER said he suspected it was staph, however, maybe it's not! But obviously the derm wanted to have it tested to find out for himself too. At this point, don't worry about the meds they are giving you because you're beginning to see results AND you need to have that all cleared up. If left untreated, staph, like other serious infections, can become systemic. You are avoiding that, believe me, by taking your meds.

Excellent for warning your family and taking precautions for yourself. Even if it turns out not to be staph, it can't hurt keeping everything extra clean so you're not spreading it around - whatever it is! Man you have been through so much. I really can't wait for you to clear up and get back to that beautiful skin of yours. But I have to tell you, you have a remarkable positive outlook, even taking care of your insides with nutritious food, while you are going through your worst outbreak! I really think you should start posting in the emotional issues threads because you have a positive and uplifting approach to what you're going through.

Keep getting better and better! Good luck with the new meds!

Oh my gosh, I'm very sorry to hear that you had a Staph infection! Wow, that makes me wonder whether my acne is really something else. I can't believe the doctors didn't warn you about spreading bacteria, it's good you did your own research on this. I hope it goes away soon.

Best wishes!

It's been a while since I've posted so this is probably going to be a long update. I feel like I've died and come back to life. After being on the Bactrim for a week then adding the Rifampin for another week I ended up getting some severe allergic reactions and side effects. I ended up with flu like syptoms, muscle aches all over, itchiness, headaches, stomach aches, nausea and vomitted every now and then for 6-7 days until finally I decided to go to my regular clinic and see a doctor. While I was sick I had called my derm twice asking him if I was having allergic reactions to the medication. He kept telling me that he thought I just had the flu that was going around and didn't think it was the medications so that's why I didn't go see him after 6-7 days of pain.

At the clinic, a couple doctors came to look me over and we all came to the conclusion that it was both medications that had made me sick so they told me to stop taking the meds. They also had a nurse give me a benedryl shot plus another med shot to stop the Bactrim and Rifampin. They had me get tested for influenza just to make sure I didn't have the flu and to find out if I was indeed allergic to Bactrim and Rifampin. I knew immediately that it was an allergic reaction to both because I didn't have the flu since the clinic visit. The only good thing from those meds was they decreased the inflammation of my infections a lot. My face doesn't look chunky anymore and most of my zits disappeared. I didn't completely clear up though.

So then I was prescribed Amoxicillin for 7 days and my infection still didn't clear up. That meant the infections were resistant to that antibiotic. So I had to go back my derm and tell him all of what had happened. He felt terrible about the whole thing, he didn't charge me for the visit and prescribed a different antibiotic called Cephelaxin and suggested Differin for my left over acne which is now actually only centralized around my infections and no where else. Yay!!! So far the Cephelaxin isn't harming me, I feel a tiny bit itchy but not aching itchiness. I hopes it works :pray:

My derm had suggested I try Cloderm a while back. He gave some samples. I tried it and it made my face and acne oily, itchy and red. So I quit that. He suggested today I try that Differin cream and gave me more samples. Maybe 2-3 weeks ago I would have tried it but not now. He wanted me to try those creams because he believes I need a topical product that will continue to prevent acne since I can't cure it. The antibiotics have been very helpful in getting rid of zits and acne but of course I can't be on antibiotics forever and the only reason why I'm still on an antibiotic is to completely rid of my infection. I'll explain more as to why I wouldn't try the cream.

So here's what I'm doing now:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (Day 29)--I've been on Ortho for a month and I don't believe I've had an initial break out. Probably because I was already broken out and I was also on antibiotics while on the pills. I continue to see clearer skin every day. There are just break-outs around my infections because I believe it's trying to come out. Ortho has regulated my period like in the past. I've started my second pack today. My breasts seem to have increased in size a tiny bit. Just a tiny bit. :lol:

Cetaphil Normal/Oily Skin--My only facewash I use now. I only wash with this when I wash my face which is only once a day or once every day and half. I don't need to wash my face twice a day anymore. I'll explain more about this.

Mandelic Acid Serum 10%(Started 2/28/08)--I use this only after I wash my face which is once a day or once every day and half. I started off using this only on my chin, then I used it on my forehead, nose, and cheaks. Didn't started putting this on my jaws/infections until just recently because I was afraid it would irritate my infection. It doesn't. Some people use it twice a day. I don't feel I need to because my face isn't very oily. Since I've used this, I believe it's helped with making my skin smooth. I've noticed a great improvement on my chin. It had a whole bunch of little bumps that just would go away. Now the bumps are pretty much completely gone. I believe it's helped get rid of zits by bringing the zits to the surface (rather than having them stay beneath) and then drying the zits so it would just wash away. I don't really have wrinkles so I can't say much about wrinkles. I had a few lines on my forehead and around my mouth but I don't really see lines there anymore. About scars or dark marks, those are working processes. I guess they take longer to get rid of.

Jenuine Mineral Make-up (Started 3/11/08)--I wear this almost 24/7. The only time I don't have it on is when I'm in the shower and that's the only time I wash my face with Cetaphil. Like I've mentioned I wash only once a day or once every day and half. This make-up is amazing to me because I can sleep in it, it's smudge-proof, water-proof, doesn't get cakey, isn't irritating to the skin, you feel like you don't even have make-up on your face, gives you a nice glow, has an spf 30-50, the right shade for my skin color (which is hard to find), for all skin types and is actually healthy for skin because it works as an antibacterial/antibiotic. Those are the reasons why I can keep it on my skin 24/7. The person who sold it to me is actually the CEO/maker of this mineral make-up. She's my age and did some extensive research to perfect her products. I'm only 25-years-old by the way. I use her mineral foundation, blush and lipgloss. She has eye products but I haven't bought any yet. She says you can actually wear the make-up for up to 2 days without washing your face. I tested this theory out and she's right. The only thing I noticed was because I have somewhat oily skin I got a tiny bit oily after the two days and it didn't feel as fresh as the first day and half. It doesn't feel gross when you add more to get rid of the oiliness or shininess. I kind of like the dewy look it gives when my face is a tiny bit oily. The mineral make-up continued to stay on my face even after the two days. Maybe just a little bit of the blush and foundation came off but not much. The lipgloss constantly needs reapplying though. If I put some blush powder on my lips before lipgloss, I'm able to keep the lipgloss on longer. I'd have to say that I wouldn't like to go more than two days without washing my face. After a day or two day you should just wash off and put on fresh powder. It's cool how when I wake up in the morning I don't need to wash or put make-up on because my face looks done up already. The only thing I have to keep fixing is my mascara which is by Maybelline. It likes to rub off every now and then. My only negative say about Jenuine Minerals is that the foundation isn't the best coverage out there. You could build the coverage by adding more later. It seems like the longer it's on the better the coverage becomes though because it's set on the skin. The maker is working on making a concealer and liquid foundation. I hope try those soon. Even though it doesn't give great coverage I think if it helps to heal my skin and evens out my skin tone, I'm happy. That way my skin will look good and won't need lots of coverage. I better stop rambling now. My point is, this was an answer to prayer because I was struggling to find a make-up that wouldn't make me break out/harm my skin and was struggling to find the right shade for my skin.

Lastly, I DON'T WEAR MOISTURIZER. I know you're all thinking, 'why not?' Well, I don't need it anymore. My skin is neither dry, oily or wrinkly. With the help of the mandelic acid (ph 3.5) and the mineral make-up (spf 30-50), my skin is soft, smooth, moisturized and protected from the sun. I still do get some flakes from the mandelic acid because it peels layers of skin off but not badly. So I plan to exfoliate at least once a week with a baby hairbrush. I bought one recently, just haven't used it. I'll probably start this coming Sunday. I guess I've been waiting for my infections to disappear before using. I'm hoping my infections will be gone within a week.

Maybe I'm just rambling on and on but I wanted to share some new info. I've found to be working for me. I'm sure not everyone needs to do all that I've done. Maybe I'm just doing it the faster way? I like that I'm on birth control pills because it prevents hormonal acne but I like the mandelic acid even more because if I ever decide to go off of the pills, I have a topical product I believe will keep me clear. The mineral make-up is an added benefit for better looking skin and allows me to not have to wash my face so much ;). I wouldn't use those creams that the derm recommended because they aren't used to treat my infection, only acne. So I'd rather use the mandelic acid and the mineral make-up as topical treatments. Those work for me. I'll have to be off of antibiotics later on so I'll update about my skin when I'm off antibiotics. Also, I plan to take some pictures soon and post in an album. Maybe in two weeks or when I'm off of antibiotics just to show improvement of my skin. And for sure there is great improvement. I only hope that my skin continues to heal, especially heal from the infections. Those are my major concern right now. I don't want to have to change antibiotics again. Please pray for me if you are a praying person. Thank you. I hope those of you out there who have been struggling with acne are seeing clearer results.

I am so glad to hear from you! I am glad you are doing better and that you are healing - that is all that matters! :dance:

Is there a website for the makeup?

Please keep us updated! I look forward to you being clear and better again!

I am so glad to hear from you! I am glad you are doing better and that you are healing - that is all that matters! :dance:

Is there a website for the makeup?

Please keep us updated! I look forward to you being clear and better again!

dwhaa, I was getting better but now I'm not so sure again. Since being on Cephalexin I feel that it's not doing the job in killing the infection. I'm so confused as to what to do at this point. Seems like the derms and docs aren't able to help me. They just prescribe medications. Maybe I'm impatient. I wish I knew what I had or had a time frame of healing or at least knew how to spot whether or not it is healing up. It seems that the infection is resistant to the antibiotics but I'm not sure. Right now it's become super sensitive since I last reported that's why I feel the antibiotics aren't doing the job. Plus I hate being on these antibiotics, I don't feel like me anymore when I'm on them. My derm recommened I use his creams but he said it was just for acne. Right now my face is pretty cleared up from acne just not the infection.

So, I've resorted to going back to trying Manuka Honey on my face while continuing on with the antibiotics the derm prescribed. This time I'm leaving it on for 24/7 with gauze strips since I need it to be on that long for it to really work. I look really funny! I can't go out anywhere again, it's embarrassing. I'm still using the mandelic acid on other parts of my face. I can't really use the mineral foundation while doing this so I have to rest with that for now. I want to buy like a Manuka Honey cream of some sort but I'm not sure what kind of Manuka Honey cream will work. There's too much info. on all sorts of Manuka Honey out there that it's hard to decide which one to pick from and which one will work. It's not like I'm hooked on Manuka Honey...it's just that I've so many good things about it killing bacteria that I feel is may be the answer for me. I think I just didn't keep it on long enough in the past or I just need a different form of it to keep on for 24/7.

I can't believe this is so hard to get rid of. I feel like I should be cleared up by now. It's not like I have really huge deep open sores. I just have something that I have no idea what it is. My derm doesn't even know. All I know is it is painful and won't go away. I think it's unusual for me to be on antibiotics as long as I have been for a skin infection. It's really difficult because it's on my face. Well, right now I'm trying the manuka honey 16+ i bought a while back. I'm really considering a product called medihoney. Just don't know which one to buy and from who. Last night was the first time I kept the manuka honey 16+ on all night with a gauze. I'm hoping it did something.

Thanks for all your support! Do you have any other ideas? How long did it take for you to get rid of the impetigo the first time and then the second time? I just want an honest opinion rather than just hearing from docs to get more antibiotics. I'd rather go natural.

I think Jennifer has a website for her mineral foundation. I'll have to find that out for you and post it here soon if she has one.

WHOA there Manuka Honey! It is SO good to see you again because Dwhaa and I had been getting a bit nervous due to your absence and last post being about staph. We worried about you!

BUT... after reading your recent entries, I've been doing a lot of thinking. So I would like you to take into consideration my next few thoughts...

Is it definitely a staph infection you're fighting in your skin? I know they take samples to check it out... was it staph or anything else?

I understand you don't like taking antibiotics, but stick with the ones that are working for you. They really aren't all evil when you need to take them for certain bacterial infections. You don't want a localized infection to turn into a systemic infection, especially if you're fighting staph. Some staph has become resistant to antibiotics, just like some other bacterial infections, that's why it is SO important to take the drug as prescribed by your physician. You should be on a follow-up schedule too in case they need to put you on another drug after the course of this drug. You don't want to leave behind residual staph bacteria as this is how they become more resistant to drugs. The 'super' bugs aren't initially killed off as the weaker ones are, so then the 'super' bacteria begins to proliferate. This is not what you want. I hope they schedule follow-up visits for you to keep that under control and not allow it to get worse. I feel it is imperative you keep up with this as you saw how quickly it took over your face. Please keep in contact with your doctor.

You can take probiotics unless they say specifically you can't. Probiotics are good for overall health while you're taking antibiotics, and I've read so many times that probiotics help keep a healthy supply of good bacteria in your body to help fight off bad bacteria as well. This might add some extra protection.

I don't specifically know much about staph infections, however, I do know some athletes who have gotten localized infections from scrapes on the field, etc. Some required multiple rounds of various antibiotics before the infection went away. This might be a long event with you, so you probably should ask the doctors treating you what type of time frame they are dealing with. This will calm you down substantially if you know approximately when you should be seeing results from their treatment.

I also wonder why you're not being put on some sort of topical antibiotic as well as the oral one. It would be prudent I think to attack it from the inside and outside, as you're doing with the manuka honey. You could ask the doc about that and his/her reasoning as to why they didn't prescribe one for you.

As you're treating yourself with natural products, concentrate on anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory topicals, like your manuka. When you find a site you like that has products you like, don't hesitate to contact them via email and ask specific questions. Then after researching what they say, that might help you out. Call your local health food stores and ask what natural products they have to aid in helping your body out with an infection and what topicals they might have as well. You don't have to buy them until you have researched what they suggested, but they are helpful in dealing with natural remedies along with your antibiotics.

I wanted to add this post before I leave shortly. Take care and keep us advised. If I think of something else to add I'll let you know. I would just love treating it from the inside and outside to really get it kicked outta your system!

Take care sweetie!

I too am on bactrim (I think thats the same thing as septra) and my derm didnt put me on any topicals either. He did give me a facewash with sa and mandelic acid in it however and the derm appointment before that he gave me samples of bp and Ive been using those as a spot treatment.

Manuka Honey,

I am sorry you are not doing well. I had something so minor compared to what you are going through, but because of the type of infection that I had - he said it takes at least 30 to 60 days of an internal antibiotic too to get clear. I was opposed to it too, but as I started to wean off the med, it started to pop up again. So it may take a bit to get it clear for you, sorry to say! I agree with Justamom - you have to get what is going on - taken care of, and an antibiotic can do that for you.

I think you didn't want to do a topical, but the doc wanted to give you one. I think that Wynne told you and I read somewhere too that she posted to do vinegar rinses, but I don't know exactly how to do it - that may help in between the manuka honey. If you interested I will find the post. I think Mandy Ann? who had an accutane log had it in hers. She went through a rough time and it seemed like for ever, and it was very similiar to your situation.

I think if you are not sure what the deal is with you face and if you are in so much pain, you need to think about finding someone who gives you the answers you need, or go back to your derm to tell where to go to find the answer - this is your face and your life we are talking about here!

Please keep us posted- I will be praying for you!

Hey guys am from the Uk, and I've got pitted scarring, like chicken pox scars on my face which are a darker colour to my skin tone and so are noticeable, and i really hate them, coz make up doesn't even cover it. I've tried so many different medicines from the doctors and high street products, like Bio Oil and Fade away cream. But today i just bought Dr. Organic's Bioactive Skincare 100 % organic manuka Honey Cream for the face. The lady at the health store- Holland and Barratts recommended it to me...but the tub or packaging dosen't say anything about the strength of UMF...anyone tried the same product as me and had any good results??? Is it the same stuff??

Or can someone recommend something for deep pitted scars please!!

Thanks guys xx

I've had moderate acne since I was about 13-years-old. Mostly on my chin and cheeks. When I say moderate, I mean one or two pimples here and there. Some were deep red papules and some were whiteheads. I've used Clearasil, Neutrogena, Clean & Clear, and Proactiv products to help with my acne. Nothing really worked well. Most of the products contained Salacylic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide in which over dried my face. As I reached my twenties, I couldn't stand to go out in public without make-up. As a result of make-up, I broke out a lot more all over my chin and cheeks. The reason was because I wasn't using a make-up remover, I just washed with a cleanser.

I had felt helpless :confused: , finally I went to see a dermatologist. He recommended that I used Cetaphil products since it was gentle for skin, and prescribed Tetracycline. Well, I took his advice and used the Cetaphil products and Tetracycline but I stopped taking the Tetracycline after a week because it made me sick to my stomach and also gave me a yeast infection. :wall: I felt even more helpless, until I read that the birth control Ortho Tri Cyclen (not Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo) could help get rid of acne. I remembered my sister saying that the birth control helped regulate hormones. I just had a feeling that maybe my acne pertained to hormones, so I gave it a try. I saw great results from the Ortho Tri Cyclen while also using the Cetaphil products. I'm not quite sure but I think it took about 3 months for my face to completely be acne free. I used Ortho for about a year and half until I stopped. You're probably wondering why I stopped using if it was working. Well, there are a few main reasons. One, I felt I couldn't control my moods while on the pill. Sometimes I felt depressed, irritable and angry for no reason. Two, I read that taking the pill can cause some seriously bad health effects. I was scared. Three, I thought the pill wasn't working to control my acne anymore. I had switched from a Neutrogena foundation to a stay-in-place foundation called Double Wear. Little did I know that the foundation was not washing completely off my face with the Cetaphil cleanser/soap I was using and was causing me to break out on my chin and lower cheeks, while taking the pill. I may have not broken out if I had used a make-up remover.

After a month of not taking the pill, my acne became severe. I was still clueless that my new make-up was not washing off my face. I developed deep, oily red patches on my cheeks and chin. I read online that there was an oil regimen able to help clear up acne. It was a mixture of 75% olive oil with 25% castor oil for people who had oily skin. I decided to do the regimen. The first two days of doing the regimen, my face was clearing up nicely. It felt like clogged oils on my face had disappeared. I continued to used it for almost two weeks. That was a big mistake!!! :( My face became more oily and patchy, I even started to break out on my forehead. I never broke out on my forehead before. When I put on my stay-in-place foundation, it just smeared off my face. The oils were a make-up remover. I went back to the website that wrote about the oil regimen and re-read it. Thought maybe I wasn't doing the regimen right. At the bottom of the page, the author wrote that after a couple times of using the oils, you're supposed to stop using and let your face rest and create new natural oil. :cry: I was so upset with myself for not reading that carefully in the first place.

Well, I became a bit depressed as a result of the oil regimen. I searched the net for ways to cure my acne the cheapest way. Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda, Aloe Vera, and 100% Raw Active Manuka Honey were positively reviewed as helping to cure acne topically. Internally, I read that drinking 2Tablespoons of Bragg's apple cider vinegar in an 8 ounce glass of water 2-3 times per day was beneficial as well. Also, taking Opti-zinc, garlic, honey and b-vitamins were good.

I figured, if I wanted to cure or keep my acne under control, I needed to internally take something that could control my hormones, oil/sebum, kill bacteria and heal my skin. In additon to internally preventing acne, I needed something to externally cleanse and clear my skin plus rid of acne marks too.

I have found that the most beneficial internal products are the Opti-zinc $7 and Bragg's apple cider vinegar $5. The external to be Cetaphil Gentle Soap $4, 100% Raw Active Manuka Honey $20, and 99% Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gelly $3-4.

After trying different things I've finally come to this:

Internally I take 60 mg. of Opti-Zinc (monomethionine). Make sure it's this kind of zinc. I've been taking it every night for about 2 months now. After the third month I will lower the dose to 30 mg. When taking Opti-zinc I don't eat or take any supplement within 2 hours before or after. I drink 2 Tablespoons of ACV with water twice a day. For additional health...I drink a cup of green tea everyday, take 1 caltrate (calcium), 2 GarliPure (garlic, read that it's antibacterial), a Tablespoon of organic honey (I like alfalfa), and 1 b-stress (b vitamins, used to take two but no need because ACV has some b-vitamins). I need the b vitamins to help with stress :lol: . I also drink half my body weight of water and exercise for at least 30 mins. straight.

Externally when not wearing make-up

MORNING

Wash face with Cetaphil Gentle Soap Bar (2 mins. for antibacterial properties to work)

1 part apple cider vinegar to 1 part water (use as a toner for 10 mins. then wash off because I don't like the smell)

Organic Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gelly 99% smear all over face (face feels tight but it hydrates)

EVENING

Wash face with Cetaphil Gentle Soap Bar (2 mins.)

Smear 100% Raw Active Manuka Honey UMF 5+ on the acne spots (30-60 mins. then rinse with water) or Manuka Honey UMF 16+ (15-30 mins. rinse)

I don't apply anything else on but if face feels dry, I'll apply the aloe vera gelly

Externally when wearing make-up

MORNING

1 part apple cider vinegar to 1 part water (rinse)

Estee' Lauder Moiturizer for oily skin

Estee' Lauder Double Wear foundation and powder

EVENING

Estee' Lauder Make-up Remover

Smear 100% Raw Active Manuka Honey UMF 5+ on acne spots (30-60 mins. rinse) or Manuka Honey UMF 16+ (15-30 mins. rinse)

If face is dry, apply the aloe vera

Baking soda paste is used once a week, in place of the Cetaphil, in the evening as an exfoliator. Leave on for only a couple minutes all over then gently wash off. Don't rub too hard. Baking soda can cause redness and irritation so not recommended for those with sensitive skin.

Note: I will continue to use the Active Manuka Honey for the next 2-3 weeks or until I'm cleared (spotting only). Later will only use it 2 times/week all over face (leave on for 15 mins. then rinse)

In conclusion for now, I've used the Active Manuka Honey for two days now (no make-up) and had seen some dramatically positive results. :dance: Only two days!!! The red blotchiness is almost completely gone, zits dried up and skin tone looking a lot better. Looks like scars are fading as well. I love this stuff. I don't recommend this to everyone but the first day, I've left the Manuka Honey (spotting) on my face for 3-4 hours in the evening and then 2 hours in the morning. It's helping to clear my face faster but does leave my skin a bit dry. I suggest keeping to 30-60 mins. (spotting), once in the evening, for about 2-3 weeks or until clear. Then just use it twice a week (all over for 15 mins.). The 100% Raw Active Manuka Honey works because it's anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-microbial. It cleanses, tones and moisturizes face in one. It's strong stuff in comparison to grocery store honey. The cheap sugary honey doesn't do anything for your face. The $5 organic honey might help but results are not as good as what the Active Manuka Honey provides.

Later on I will post some pictures of my face with acne before and after doing this regimen. After two days, I have hope once again. I pray :pray: that it continues to work and my face becomes completely clear soon. I give all the praise to Jesus-God because he created natural things for us to use to heal our bodies. I hope everyone who reads this will benefit from it. :D

Added: Now, I am currently using one with UMF 5+...I'm planning to switch to UMF 16+ about $35 for 500g (s & h included). I just recently ordered it. Although, I've read that a UMF of 10+ will work fine. Please do not use a UMF 20+ for this can cause more harm to skin than heal it. I've decided to switch to 16+ because I read medical profesionals use UMF 10 or higher on patients and found great healing results. Plus using UMF less that 10 might not fully clear an infection or go deep down into skin tissue, although it still works. Anyway, I recommend those out there to buy Raw Manuka Honey UMF 10-18. Be willing to pay the $35. I'm going to continue using my UMF 5+ until I get my UMF 16+. This is where I ordered my UMF 16+ http://www.umfactivemanukahoney.com/index.htm There are other websites with a variety of Manuka Honey to choose from that may be cheeper. In using a higher UMF, you must realize that you must not keep it on your face for long...it may cause a burning or stinging sensation.

I just want to note that the Estee' Lauder Double Wear foundation/powder broke out my two best friends. They had perfect skin prior. Are you having this problem?

Hey OP, I don't know if you are still using manuka honey, but I've been using it for the last 3 weeks and my skin is dramatically different. I had a bad initial breakout to a retin-A, and the manuka just healed everything right up.

I'm curious if your skin can develop a tolerance to it? I only spot treat now, and do a mask 2-3 nights a week. My skin is very glowy and soft, but I don't want my skin to get used to it and have it stop working. I'm using !5+ I think. Any thoughts?

I just brought Manuka Honey yesterday. I was using coconut oil for a year than it all of a sudden broke me out really bad. I use the one mask last night and will continue every evening until the acne is gone. I only doing it once a night don't want to over do it. I so confused with what to use as a moisturizer for my face or what to wash my face with. I been going through this since I was a teenager now I'm 45.