Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was just put on Doxycycline by my derm. Ive been on it for two weeks now and i still am breaking out. He gave me a 2 month twice a day prescription, does that mean it takes that long to work or by then i should supposibly be rid of the acne? He really did not tell me much and he didnt ask me any questions he just looked at my face for a few seconds. He said since my acne was mainly focused on my chin, mouth and nose area that this would work. I did not know if anyone knew anything more about it.

Hello,

I'm oliver and i am 17, I was put on doxycycline capsules, 2 box's , once a day, for 2 months supply. I have been taking them for 3 weeks now and my doc said they will start to "kick in after 3 weeks". I have started to see a noticeable improvement, cleared up a lot on my back,chest and shoulders, Half the redness on my face. Remember, it needs to get into the system first and then work on the face area. You must give it time, i would say take all of them and after that see how it goes.

I wish you all the luck. I hop they work for you. (i'm not a tablet lover, so i open it up and take them with milk, it does the same job)

Remember, Patience is the key here

Good luck again,

Kind regards,

Oliver :cool:

Im really worried that eventually, my acne will come back with a vengeance. Are these good for clearing up bad acne, and then taking care of it from scratch, so to say?

I dont know because mine all of a sudden is coming back really bad. Like it eventually started to clear up now its returning bad

I'm 8 weeks into the course, 50mg a day and it's working really well. Just give it time. Ideally it will be around 12 weeks (3 months) when you start to see a big overall improvement.

I also took doxycycline around 5 years ago and it completely got rid of my acne at the time. So much so I stopped the treatment which was a bad itea. It was really really bad when I was in high school as well.

Im really worried that eventually, my acne will come back with a vengeance. Are these good for clearing up bad acne, and then taking care of it from scratch, so to say?

I've read that you need to have a good topical regimen once you get off oral antibiotics. Try using Dan's Regimen. My doctor also prescribed me Doxy 100 mg, twice a day, for one month. I'm also on Retin-A. I've been on the Doxy for about a week already, and on the Retin-A for almost 2 weeks.

I'm really happy with the results I've been seeing, it might be too early to talk but I haven't had any new major breakouts, a couple pimples but that's about it. My skin tone has pretty much evened out and all my pimples are dying down slowly. I've felt nauseous after taking Doxy in the morning but I was just eating like a banana or an apple. Then a 20 minute bus ride to school. I had severe acne before, and all I was on was Minocycline for a month till my doctor switched me to Doxy. Now my acne is pretty moderate/mild. With just a couple pimples, and some small red bumps that are still noticeable. Overall I think the combination of Doxy+Retin-A works good in my opinion. But different things work for different people.

Hey man,

Im 17, i started getting acne when i was 16, im nearly 18 now, tried a lot of lotions, tablets, these include : Differn(cream), zineryt(lotion, i found it very strong and nippy when applyed, i didnt see any difference when using this), doxycycline(tablets, used them for 3 months, it had taken away redness and some of acne), and now i am on lymecycline.

have you tried lymecycline before? any experiences? any advice?

After using these anti biotics, i feel that the breakouts gave been reducing, for example, not as often, every 2-3 weeks i would say i get a bad 1.

Not seen my skin clear in ages :( Wish these things will clear it up, who knows!

I'm sure your acne will eventually go, i feel these products are no use, by the time you have finished them all, your acne will be gone.

Anyways, would be great if we can talk>>

i have msn if you wish to add me? [email protected]

Good luck with products !

Normally with Doxy it takes 2 to 3 weeks to see it "Kick in". I took it many years ago and it cleared all my acne within 5 weeks. I stayed on it for 3 months but then started breaking out again when they lowered my dosage. I went back on it today, reluctantly. I've been trying to get away from anti-biotics but it's just gotten that bad. They put me on a much higher dosage for just 6 weeks and then I go back to the doc. If that doesn't work I'm trying Septra/Bactrim. If your face responds well to topical sulfur, it may work for you.

Thought I'd let you guys in on how the Doxy's been doing me so far.

Well I'm on day 26, so I've been on it for about 4 weeks already.

I still have active spots so I can't say that Doxy cleared me completely just yet, but I gotta take in consideration that I still had severe acne with a few cysts when I began taking it and now my acne is down to a moderate/mild level.

I was on Minocycline and that was what got my severe acne under some what of a control.

And I'm sure that Doxy was what got a choke hold on it!

Throughout the 4 weeks I'd say that I've had a total of... 5 break outs due to poor diet :P.

But I have no doubt that I'll be clear by the time I finish my re-fill.

I was also using Retin-A which helped even out my skin tone and help some of my red marks and shallow scars fade.

But I'm currently using Dans Regimen now.

As for some of the side effects that m any people have talked about from the Doxy, I did experience some nauseousness and upset stomach in the mornings when I took my 1st dose, but that was because I had a very light breakfast such as a fruit or something small. The stomach pains were not as bad to make me stop what I was doing and just cringe in pain though, so it's all good in the neighborhood :].

I was just put on Doxycycline by my derm. Ive been on it for two weeks now and i still am breaking out. He gave me a 2 month twice a day prescription, does that mean it takes that long to work or by then i should supposibly be rid of the acne? He really did not tell me much and he didnt ask me any questions he just looked at my face for a few seconds. He said since my acne was mainly focused on my chin, mouth and nose area that this would work. I did not know if anyone knew anything more about it.

My doc didn't say how long it should take to see improvement, but he doesn't want to see me until I have been taking doxy for 8 weeks. He said at that point he hopes my acne will be gone and we can wean me off the antibiotics.

Sorry. A little late to the party. I was just prescribed this by my derm and am hesitant to go on it. Enough with the pills! At 42, I've struggled with acne for about 30 years. I really don't want to be popping pills for the rest of my life. I was able to manage facial acne pretty well using BP 2 - 3 times a day all over the face. Bacne is a different story.

My concern is that while on doxycycline, my acne may improve, but I'll be hooked on it.

As for some of the side effects that m any people have talked about from the Doxy, I did experience some nauseousness and upset stomach in the mornings when I took my 1st dose, but that was because I had a very light breakfast such as a fruit or something small. The stomach pains were not as bad to make me stop what I was doing and just cringe in pain though, so it's all good in the neighborhood :].

How do you take it? The first times I ate then took, but found it was too painful. Lately (without pain) I've been taking the pill, then having a snack or meal. Do you know if this is bad? Or what?

Hello :) I was put on Doxy just a few weeks ago, and i'm on it again (for 30 more days) but this time, i'm only supposed to take it once a day. I got REALLY bad acne this past summer, and I needed something that would help, especially with all my cysts(like 4) and pustules on my chin and forehead! i was going crazy. Doxy really helped me alot, it got rid of about 70% of all acne and inflammation :) It doesn't really get rid of it 100%. I don't know how it's working for you because i saw a difference on the 7th day, like 40% was gone. Right now i'm on Dan's regimen, and I can tell you this works SO much better, and you don't need to put anything into your body. Check my blog, so you know what products i'm using, they are also getting rid of my marks :))) Good luck ! :)

ive been on mino since i was 17, i'm 25 now and switched to doxy back in november due to mino not being available outside europe or USA. in the middle east they only have doxy. so i'm on this now

and will be on it for the rest of my life probably

once you come off antibiotics, it all comes back

Hello everyone I've recently had a bad breakout due to lack of sleep, and a bad diet. Probably the worst I've had in the past so I called my doctor and asked to be prescribed doxycycline. I am 19 years old with mild-moderate acne on my cheeks and chin. I had a 20 day supply of two 100mg pills a day and honestly I didn't see any difference at first it took about 3-4 days before I stopped getting 2-3 whiteheads a day. I took the medicine for about 15 days with no major reduction in my breakouts. I did feel sick in my stomach once from taking the pill and it made me anxious about what to eat since some ingredients in food reduce the effectiveness of the medicine. I didn't finish the full prescription and decided to try the sever acne system from AcneFree. I've been using that for like 4 days with awesome results. I haven't gotten any new acne and it seems to be reducing what I have now. It's a very easy system and from previous use of Proactiv and the Acne.org regimen my body is used to Benzoyl Peroxide use so it hasn't irritated me at all. I'm going to keep using this system because I know that these antibiotics wear away with time and only make things worse for you later on. I hope that helps a little bit, might be a good idea to take for stopping a bad breakout but not for long periods of time.

Hey,

It takes quite a bit of time to work...try two to three weeks and even then the clearing is only moderate. It can take up to 6 months for some people.

Yeah, you will break out occasionally for a while...if you are developing more severe/cystic acne, you are probably having an allergic reaction and should get your script changed...

If I may suggest...bactrim works exceptionally well and VERY fast, and you only need to be on it for about a week! The issue with that is that most docs are reluctant to prescribe it unless you are extremely severe. If your acne is not hormonal you should stay clear after bactrim. If it is hormonal, then you should probably stay clear for about 6 months b4 you have to see a doc again, at which point, you should look into spironolactone.

I was taking 200mg of Doxy a day for 3 months and it never made me feel sick and I took it on a empty stomach and than it also says not to lay down for 30mins after taking the drug, but I took mine everyday at the same exact time and it worked great, but once I got off of it, I started breaking out pretty bad, so does anyone know if you can be on this stuff for life? Im a 40 year old guy and I've never had it too bad, but kaboom, my 40's have'nt been so nice so far, but if I could always take it I would as long as I didnt get immune to it, but I dont know if I can take it for the rest of my life!

i was on doxy for years and it worked really well. it gave me my life back. i was clear so long on it i forgot i ever even had skin problems. but at first my face broke out BAD. It wasn't until like 2 months in that it worked. so you gotta stick with it. if its making it worse thats a good sign its working. unfortunetly it came back recently so i switched to minocycline and its going away again. i dunno what im gonna do if i get immune to mino as well. accutane doesn't look like an option my insurance wont cover it and it cost a fortune. i also have had no side effects from the antibiotics. good luck

My doctor prescribed this to me about 7 months ago. I had acne on certain parts on my face, it was kind of deep in my skin, but the medicine worked GREAT, although he did prescribe benzoyl peroxide cream along with it. Of course, I did not take it on a schedule and some days i forgot. But the point is, eventually I stopped taking it when my acne was gone, still some marks left however, but THANK GOD *KNOCK ON WOOD*, nothing came back even for 3-4 months after I stopped. Now i went to my derm about my marks, and he prescribed it again along with some cream. Finally, things are starting to completely clear up. Don't expect things to happen very fast though, your body will take its time with this.

I've been on doxy for two weeks now and have seen improvment. The improvment is little but its there, I'm hoping in the next two weeks, my skin will be clear enough to go without makeup and look great. The doxy also made my complextion more even looking and smooth. I really hope the best is yet to come.

For others who are taking doxy, how long for you did it take to be clear?

Problem with doxy is not how long it takes to work and clear your skin

It's how long it takes when you stop taking it for all your acne to come back

Keeps having outbreak on both side of the lips, was prescribed doxy. Today is the 16th day on it, but still having outbreak. Not sure whether it will works :(

Seen few of the comments, maybe i should try to stick with it for 1 mth and see how again.

Btw my outbreaks are those big and swollen acne without 'heads' and they are really painful :'(

Both side of my lips are like playing 'table-tennis' , when one side recover another side will starts to outbreak again.

Any kind soul have solution for my situation ?

Problem with doxy is not how long it takes to work and clear your skin

It's how long it takes when you stop taking it for all your acne to come back

that's exactly true. Everyone whose on antibiotics needs to realize antibiotics kill bacteria. When you start taking antbiotics you should see immediate results (within a few weeks, just to kill any pimples you had forming from before). When you stop the antibiotic, trust me, it will come back!

If you are not seeing results within a month (but really within a few weeks), perhaps 1) your acne is not responding to the specific medication, 2) your acne requires a heavier dosage (what you are taking is too low to kill the bacteria/your acne is more severe)

BTW, was on doxy for around 2 years, LOVED it, had clear skin! But went ineffective after some time and had to switch! That''s the problem with antibiotics, they don't last forever!

Edited by calichick01

Hello:)

Iv been on Doxy for about 5 weeks and have cleared up pretty well. I was prescribed clindamycin and doxy for a month and it did work well.

now using glycolic acid 10% gel in morning and 20% azelaic acid at night for marks and maintenance.

Just wondering if any of you 'weaned' off the antibiotic slowly or just went cold turkey on it and after how long??

(not experienced in this field... this is my first ever break out iv had to treat with prescriptions!! not happy :( )

Thanks!