Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
freddie1977

accutane log

Buck up lil' pirate!!

I just read thru this log today and this is what I've gleaned.

1} you probably look 10x's better than when you started, it's just the better it gets the more we want. Expectations lead to disappointments, so considering the improvement....be content.

2} you have a good life! in school, got a job for next semester, kissing on some girl =P~ , etc. Regardless of how "fixated" you may have felt about your face, you are still livin'life and thats groovy.

3} Freddie, if it doesn't work this time, you can always have another go. Accutane sometimes requires a few {like 3} cycles, especially if your sebaceous glands were really stimulated before. So don't be all, " I don't know what to fucking do.." that's too dramatic, and I've cried for years over my face. If it doesn't do what you want, try's Dan's reg for awhile, then DO IT AGAIN!! your breakouts will STILL be less bcs of the cycle you are on now.

4} Consider bcp's, chin /lower face acne is hormonal. Maybe that w/ the accutane will do the trick.

good journal! You are helping people out there! O:) :D

Namaste'

Oh, you're so sweet... A fellow pirate, eh... :D Thank you so much. I need a slap in the face. Bah. I feel like screaming. You're so right- all those things are true- that was very helpful. I'm still terrified though. You know what's weird is that the birth control pill I started taking in mid November is why I ended up on Accutane. I took Ortho Tri-Cyclen for about 5 weeks and became very, very severely broken out. I don't know why. My physician doesn't know why. She thought maybe it was just too much estrogen for my system or that I could even have some kind of ovarian disease. I suppose I should talk to my dermatologist or someone about this again. I explained the whole ordeal to my dermatologist in the beginning, but he had no satisfactory answers for me. He just said something like, "oh, it's because it's hormonal and these things don't work for everyone and cause problems for others...", which I already knew and I felt and still feel a lack of closure about all this... I continued to break out severely even after I stopped the bcp. I don't know what that means. I'm worried that my system is all screwed up now or something and that regardless of Accutane, it'll all come back. Anyway. Thank you- thank you for taking the time to post me a message. :D

hey freddie im doin another month for sure because i had a bad break out on my back, but my face has been healin and im seeing some good improvement. bacne sucks cuz i had a friend come up to be and slap me on the back and it hurt so bad...wanted to cry it hurt so bad, nobody could understand why it hurt that bad. lol, o well good luck to you hang in there your doin awesome, this personal log is probobly the best place for people to see what accutanes really like.

later

N4S

WEEK NINETEEN

Hey, I'm back. Buon giorno. Well, I still break out often... same as I mentioned before, like one or two at a time... But definetely breakouts worsen around menstrual period. Arrgh. If I didn't look so bad all the time I might feel pretty swell. This past week was a crazy week. Pretty nondescript in the skin wellness arena... I'm kind of at a loss as to what to update right now. Had my blood sucked this afternoon for lab work for the final time (hopefully). If anyone was wondering, I had to have blood drawn for a blood serum pregnancy test twice before beginning treatment- a first time and then again after two weeks and then I had bloodwork done each month to check cholesterol, liver profile, tryglycerides, and also pregnancy test. So I only have one week left- my "last" dermatologist appointment is this coming Monday. Has anyone else who has taken/is taking Accutane never stopped breaking out like me? I guess things are supposed to continue to improve in the couple months immediately after treatment, but for some reason I have this feeling that this is as good as it's going to get. That might be okay. I just wish it would end forever, you know. Alas and lackaday. BUT! This is much better than I was before. So this is a good thing. Also I decided that my favourite Ghostbuster is Egon. ROCK.

Hullo again N4S... Thank you! Happy to hear you are seeing improvement. Agh, bacne is so godawful... especially when no one understands how painful it is. I'm sorry. I really hope you're doing as well as you appear to be- you are always so amazingly positive in these posts. Rock on. Amen. Good for you. :-

i was just reading your post about how you started breaking out from the orthotricycline. it did the same thing to me! and after i decided to stop because i thought that it might be the problem, my acne got even worse. i think that it may have screwed us up!

what bc pill are you taking, if any?

i know that we are supposed to take birth control while on accutane, but since i had such a bad reaction to it, i decided not to take it. i just don't have sex, and once i'm off of accutane, i will practice safe sex other ways.

birth control is not for everyone!

Oh jeez, yeah. There needs to be some kind of warning about that included with the other risks associated with BCPs. It's comforting to know that someone else had the same problem as me. For whatever reason, BCPs made us go all out of whack. Arrrgh. I hope this can be fixed...? I stayed off all birth control pills and just remained abstinent like you for my Accutane course. And let me tell you I will never ever ever take another hormonal contraceptive for as long as I live. Although the real reason I was taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen in the first place was to try and help out my skin. Anyway. Jeezy creezy. Thank you!

WEEK TWENTY

Officially my treatment doesn't end until four days from now. I mean I will take my last and final pill in four days. Saw my dermatologist on Monday. Since I keep breaking out, he said he would normally keep me going another month but can't since I'm leaving in a week and I won't be around for him to "monitor" me. So he gave me this Rx for a topical medicine, Clindagel, which I haven't used before (imagine that) and then I'm supposed to see him again in August when I get back from the east coast. So this past week was better than the last I think. I didn't break out quite as much; had maybe three or four blemishes total. Still using the Queen Helene mask every once in a while. I like that. I think it actually does work well. And I like it because it's very inexpensive and doesn't have any chemicals or anything harsh. It's nice. I guess I don't really know what else to say this time. I'm going to do an update when I'm off and then probably a month or two after all the pills are gone... I don't know if I'll be able to update while I'm out east but definitely will give an update sometime in the future... Adieu.

Hi. Agh. Okay, today is my first day off the medication and I am a little worried and anxious but everything seems to be fine for the time being. I never did stop breaking out. I have three small blemishes right now. I guess that's okay. I used the Queen Helen mask over my entire face and left it on all night last night and this morning it left my face very smooth. It was nice. I think eventually, depending on how I do, I'll have to resort to some kind of benzoyl peroxide deal, which I kind of don't want to do- even though I have this Rx from my dermatologist- because... I don't want to have to worry about it, about breaking out and have to be applying medicine all the time and worrying about washing my face and such. AAHH!! So we'll see. Today is my last day here in town and tomorrow morning I'm leaving to go do that movie out east, so I'm mildly freaking out about this skin situation. Alas and lackaday. So, hey, everyone thanks for reading my log and good luck to everyone and rock on everybody. Big kiss.

Greetings. Hello, all! I am back from brief hiatus. It has been two months since I ceased Accutane treatment and as of now, all is well. I have been enjoying clear, normal skin all day, every day. It's grand. I have had a few blemishes here and there in these past months but it's been NOTHING. Only the minutest blemishes which I almost didn't notice at all- and they were gone within a day or two. My skin did also have a bit of the oil return, naturally, but I am nowhere near being considered having an oily complexion. Finally! I can qualify a normal! Success! I've been washing my face with Aveeno Skin Clarifying Cleanser twice daily and applying Olay Oil Free SPF 15 moisturizer in the morning and Clindagel at night. I still like to use the Queen Helene Mint Julepe Mask every once in a while because it feels good... I am still a little bit red, but actually not that red- if one looks at me from about five feet away it just looks like my face is a bit flushed. I wish the redmarks would fade faster, but it's not so bad. I've been feeling really good lately. My face is also very smooth and the indentations do not look half as bad as they did before. I'm going to have some permanent scarring but it's not a big deal at all. Very happy. So that's my update for the time being. ROCK ON; good luck and big kiss to everybody. :)

Greetings. Hello, all! I am back from brief hiatus. It has been two months since I ceased Accutane treatment and as of now, all is well. I have been enjoying clear, normal skin all day, every day. It's grand. I have had a few blemishes here and there in these past months but it's been NOTHING. Only the minutest blemishes which I almost didn't notice at all- and they were gone within a day or two. My skin did also have a bit of the oil return, naturally, but I am nowhere near being considered having an oily complexion. Finally! I can qualify as normal! Success! I've been washing my face with Aveeno Skin Clarifying Cleanser twice daily and applying Olay Oil Free SPF 15 moisturizer in the morning and Clindagel at night. I still like to use the Queen Helene Mint Julepe Mask every once in a while because it feels good... I am still a little bit red, but actually not that red- if one looks at me from about five feet away it just looks like my face is a bit flushed. I wish the redmarks would fade faster, but it's not so bad. I've been feeling really good lately. My face is also very smooth and the indentations do not look half as bad as they did before. I'm going to have some permanent scarring but it's not a big deal at all. Very happy. So that's my update for the time being. ROCK ON; good luck and big kiss to everybody. :)

Hey ive been off accutane for a month now. Glad to hear everything is going good because its been the same for me. In a few monthes im sure your redmarks will be gone and you'll really be livin it up. Im also happy I got to have a good summer, my last one was miserable. So for all the people reading this, accutane has worked for me and freddie. I think more people should be less afraid of accutane because with my experience it is very well monitored and the results were better than the many treatments i had been on in the past years. Good luck to everyone and thank you freddie, your log has helped many people.

freddie, I've heard that vitamin E makes red marks disappear faster. I'm not sure if this is true or not but you might want to give it a shot!

Hello, hello. That's so awesome you had a good summer and things are swell for you also :D I certainly hope this log is helpful to people on Accutane, or those considering Accutane treatment or whatever. Definitely people should be less afraid of it- with all honesty, it has been miraculous for me. I don't have to worry about my face every second, worry about touching it, or being a slave to topical medications or makeup, being humiliated all the time, feeling ashamed. I feel like a normal person with normal skin. My self-esteem has rocketed. The five-month treatment was rough and painful but I could not be happier with the results right now. :D

doggy, thanks much for the tip. I will look into Vitamin E in the near future... rock on, friends.

I'm back. AH!!

So it's been eight months since I've been off of Accutane. That seems like such a short time... bah. Insanity.

My face never stopped breaking out after I was off the medication. I think I needed that extra month but nothing I can do about it now. The acne's been really mild for the most part, and although I'm displeased about this, I've learned not to freak out over a small breakout- though that's difficult to do- but I know now what it's like to be really, really in bad shape. It could be so much worse.

In the summer, I didn't do a whole lot to my face- washed daily and nightly and used up the Clindagel which my dermatologist gave me. During the day I either put nothing or SPF moisturizer on my face. This was peachy keen for a while and then I started to break out a little bit more so I started doing a daily skin care regimen that included mild cleanser (Aveeno, and then St. Ives) with benzoyl peroxide cream for day and Cleocin-T lotion that I had leftover from a past prescription at night. I was using the Nature's Cure 5% bp cream, which I discovered by happenstance in my friend's bathroom, and it was lovely. I like its consistency and texture one million times better than the Neutrogena cream, which feels sticky and glue-y to me and makes my face/scars look red and horrible. I've been careful to use only a little of it because of its stronger bp content, and always moisturized afterwards. This was fabulous. My face was very clear. I'd still break out- usually around two or three blemishes at a time, every so often, mostly small and gone within a day or two- but mostly around my period. Curses!! Anyway.

Ack. Well, come winter and I've been having a little trouble. I stopped doing the bp routine last week because my face has been dry and problematic. With the harsh cold and dry indoor heat, my skin has been itchy and persnickety. So right now, I've stopped everything. I'm continuing with my cleanser day and night, but only applying moisturizer afterwards. I'm not going to freak out. I'm not sure what's going on, so I'm going to leave my face alone and see what it does. I suspect I might be breaking out now because it's irritated and dry. We will see.

I have maybe ten small blemishes right now. I keep getting them in my eyebrows (?). They're small and painless and not very visible since they blend in well with my leftover redmarks and blotches. My face is pretty blotchy, methinks. It has improved A LOT since the summer, however. Looking at recent photos/video of me now, I think I look fairly normal. Just a little red. I definitely have noticeable indented scarring. This doesn't bother me so much, mainly the red marks are the problem. I'm thinking of having some kind of laser or peel or something in the future to even my skin tone out a little bit. ::Sigh:: Such trials! Agh.

So that's my eight month update. THE END.

hey, i think its 2nd time for accutane. I've experience the same problem as you, 7 months off accutane. I've been breaking out little by little, getting worse and worse. but very mild. i think im going to try to get accutane for 2nd time get it prescibed at 10mg 20mg. cuz.. all that benzoyl peroxide didn't work for me, anti-biotics seldomly work. accutane was the only thing that worked. and 2nd course = clear skin. forever? this is what i think im going to do. cuz doctor gave me some anti-biotics doesn't really work. next visit i think im going to ask to prescibe accutane at a really really low amount. well i think you shoudl do the same freddi. and good luck!

Well. It seems I have hit rock bottom today.

So. My trial period is ending with a horrendous fallout. It was only three days with doing NOTHING to my face to see if it would calm down on its own and, what a surprise, I am now very broken out. For chrissakes...

The only problem was (I was doing completely fine with my old regimen and then the goddamn cold weather and dry air... harsh winds... harsh dry indoor heat- AAHH!!) that my skin became really dry and I was breaking out a little so I thought I'd take a break and see what happened. Which was an utter disaster. I have a grand total of- get this- TWENTY FIVE blemishes on my face, all since yesterday. Sigh. That Oil of Olay moisturizer I'm using, which I love and which Dan recommends, was fine for summer I guess, but Dan is right- it doesn't do the greatest job of moisturizing. But SPF is so so important to me... and the Neutrogena SPF moisturizer which is also recommended on Dan's site burns my skin badly and it stings... Arrgh...

Hence, in sheer desperation, tonight I broke out the Neutrogena 2.5% bp and then slathered on a layer of my mother's Clinique moisturizer, since there was nothing else except my currently useless Oil of Olay...

So I was thinking of just going back and doing exactly what I did before. Right now I'm feeling very defeated and ugly. As one reading my log can tell, since my posts in June and August, I'm definitely singing a different tune. I was one of the unlucky ones, post-Accutane. I knew it!!! I knew it all along!! I can't take Accutane again; I don't have health insurance and can't pay for it, I don't have a dermatologist any more, the monthly checkups and blood tests would be so much of a hassle and I'm moving around so much in my life right now, my life is a mess... Accutane would mean six more months of hiding out and suffering and having no life and then six more months after that of anxiety and getting over the scarring. Christ.

I was also thinking of trying some of Carley's Clear and Smooth just for the hell of it. I don't know what else to do. I read all the stuff on their website; the ingredients look good, it seems very convincing (insert cynical sneer here), plus I would be supporting some small African village that produces the shea butter for the cleanser if I buy it. Thoughts/advice anyone? I could sure as hell use it. Here's their website:

http://www.no-acne.com

Love,

A very miserable Freddie

So. Here I am in dire straights again...

My acne is getting worse every day. I don't really know what the hell is going on, but I have a few suspicions...

I ordered Carley's Clear and Smooth cleanser, moisturizer, natural soap and started using them on Tuesday. I was having a problem with the cleanser- it was too irritating and made my face red and a little peely-itchy, plus I got a few rash-like acne bumps after the third day SO I emailed the company (they are OUTSTANDING with their help and communication and personal attention) and they said to dilute the cleanser 50% with water, and I tried this half-and-half today. It did feel much better, it was no longer irritating HOWEVER my acne continues to get worse. It's been downhill all the way since January... hmm... I think perhaps either the cleanser is making me break out or that I have a permanent hormonal imbalance from the Ortho Tri-Cyclen I took last November which is giving me severe acne and was temporarily quelched by Accutane... I suspect that is is the latter because 1) the acne is not irritation-type acne and 2) I have begun breaking out on my chest and neck exactly the way I did when I was on the birth control pill, and 3) I have other symptoms associated with hormonal imbalance. I mean, as far as I can tell from doing a online research. BAH! I guess as the Accutane magic continues to wear off, the acne is started to recur. I don't know. It's so confusing; I am so completely baffled and distraught... I don't really know what to do. I think my system has been really screwed up. Not my dermatologist nor my physician at the time could tell me why Ortho Tri-Cyclen made me break out so so severely. It's so weird.

It's now been 9 months since I stopped Accutane. I can keep trying the Carley's regimen for a little while and see if that makes any difference at all- but how long to keep using that stuff while my acne just keeps getting worse and worse? I don't know. Here's the response they sent me after my "your-product-is-too-irritating-I'm-breaking-out-so-much-I-think-I-have-a-hormone-imbalance" email:

"perhaps you can try watering down our product 50% and see if you can

tolerate it at a lower strength. also before doing that limit the amount of

time you leave it on your skin. only a few seconds. but I would not give up

too soon. some people's skin take a little while to adapt. you must

experiment and find out what works for you. each person is unique"

At first I was like, what the hell?! How do I know if I will "adapt" or not?! I am not a goddamn chemist- if it doesn't work, it doesn't work AAARGH!! But then I thought I have nothing to lose right now, I can try it for a while and see if anything happens... If it's ineffective then... I don't know. I should get my hormone levels checked or something. Sheesh.

Has anyone else had severe acne crop up when taking birth control pills? Curious. I need some help. (!!!)

So there's the latest chapter in my saga.

Well. I think I am going to stop using the Carley's cleanser for the time being and just stick with the natural soap and use nothing else. In the meantime, I am seeing about getting health insurance so I can see a dermatologist (sigh). I have about 50 blemishes on my face alone right now. Back to square one. Bah!!

I am going to die. I have a doctor's appointment next Thursday to "discuss hormones"; I don't know if I can make it... aaaahhh.... The breakouts have gotten much worse in the last week. I don't know how bad it'll be by the time of my appointment. Something has to be very wrong with me, somehow, to cause breakouts like this. I tried to count the number of blemishes and got to 100 and then gave up. Pretty soon I think my entire face will be completely covered again just like a year ago. I don't know why this is happening. I can't understand it at all. I've only been using gentle natural soap and natural moisturizer in the day and nothing on my face at night. When I have to work I use the Oil of Olay SPF moisturizer over the natural moisturizer and then put on makeup. I'm trying to do as little as possible to avoid extra irritation. And I thought it would be goog, when I see my doctor, to be able to say I've been doing nothing to my face to irritate and/or treat this, what the hell is going on? Ack.

I just want to encourage you and remind you how much you've already gotten through! Maybe another round of Accutane will do the trick, depending on what you want to do right now. Have you given Vitamin B5 a thought? I just started it, my log is "B5 treatment log!". I can't say too much yet, it's only been a couple days, but you might want to think about it. I have read about many people with very severe acne getting clear with B5. Why not try it? Different things work for different people, just find something that works for you. I hope you find something soon. Good luck!!!

Freddie, I can see that this is very distressing. After going through the whole accutane course, to have it come back so soon really stinks. A lot of people say that at least when it comes back it's not as bad as before. Is this the case for you? Why have you decided to use mild soap or nothing? Is your skin very sensitive? Maybe you need something a little stronger, like salicylic acid or BP wash. If you've done that and you know it won't work, I'd just figure out some way to go back on accutane. If you add up the cost of all the OTC stuff, and ordering off the internet, and B5 pills (super expensive) it's probably cheaper in the long run to do accutane, even if you have to pay for it yourself. Good luck.

Alright. Well. (Sigh)... I visited my physician last Thursday and he did order a hormone blood test for me because I was adamant about it and he gave me a referral to another dermatologist... whom I will see this coming Thursday. It seems my options are very limited. As of late, I have been giving very serious thought to taking Accutane again. It was such hell, I would only do it if it would ensure a completely acne-free rest of my life, but... I don't know if there's much else I can do. I am totally baffled. Though the results for my blood test haven't come in yet, so I'll have to wait and see if anything from that happens to come up. Here are the pros and cons I've been tossing around in my head about Accutane: Good things- no acne...? Bad things- acne may not be "cured" (I want a cure), 6 months of no life and painful oozing lesions, more scarring, approximately $700 gone to waste. Also possibly more joint problems or other side effects. AARGH!! I don't know. Alas! I guess I will wait and see... one small step at a time... Until next time, adieu good friends.

Well. Today I met with my new dermatologist, who was truly wonderful and very helpful and understanding (at last!!). The blood test results showed that my testosterone levels were high (I knew it). We discussed this, and what happened to me with the birth control pill. My breakout during that time may or may not have been caused by the Ortho Tri-Cyclen; it could have been a totally random unfortunate thing and just coincidental that I was taking Orth Tri-Cyclen at the time OR that it influenced my hormones in some adverse way- and there isn't really any way to tell, unless I have my hormone levels checked further. The dermatologist recommended that I see an endocrinologist or an OB-GYN, and also suggested that it was likely that I could have polycystic ovary syndrome because of this and my past history... So. He also said that I am a truly unusual and rare and advanced case, university-study level even and recommended also going to see some university people in Columbus, which I may end up doing. Right now, however, we're taking things slowly and seeing what will happen. After an hour-long discussion we BOTH decided to try doxycycline with Differin cream in the morning and BP cream at night. I am still very skeptical. Accutane is still a possibility, but he said also in my case it may not be the best thing. So I don't know. It's still so confusing and weird and hellish, but... I'll just see. Bah! I guess that's all for now. This whole business just keeps getting more and more insane.

Well, I am back. Just wanted to add an update. I've been diagnosed with polycystic ovary disease which was causing a hormonal imbalance that was giving me the acne. So. I am now on birth control pills (Yasmin 28) and spironolactone, which seem to be helping. I also use an over the counter bp cream at night. I only have about ten blemishes on my face now and am doing tremendously better since my last post. It's been very strange, but I'm glad to know now what the problem was and to have it under control. I am having a big problem with red marks from when I was more severely broken out. And I have a lot of indented scarring on the sides of my face that I have to contend with, but overall things aren't so bad.