Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pinkunicorns

1st course accutane 1st feb-may 2008 spots come back 2nd course starting may 2009

First of im from the UK

Well i finally had enough of spots! have had problems since i was about 13 years old with them and am now 26! I have tried everything the contraceptive pill was amazing for my skin but gave me bad side effects and had to stop taking it and have tried antibiotics and different lotions and potions and finally had enough of them. In the last 2 years i started to get some on my body and neck which i hadnt had before and i am unable to use products on my body coz i just break out! even moisturizer!

So got reffered to dermatologist and went to see him this morning my god walked in there half hour early for appointment got seen straight away which was a miracle for nhs hospital LOL

I sat down he said had anything worked in the past i said the pill etc but cant take it and he had a quick look at my back and prescribed roaccutane! I was so shocked ive been umming and ahhing about going on it and after reading stuff on here thought id have to beg to be put on it but he said straight away and to be honest my skin isnt that bad at the moment i have been on antibiotics for 2 years (2 years is awful i know!) and stopped them 5 days ago i have a few spots around my neck and jawline and 2 on my hair line and some on my back but nowhere as bad as they were before so was shocked he gave me it straight away!

I have to have a blood test next monday before i can take it to check for pregnancy then i will start it like thursday next week so thought i would start my log now so i can prepare!

I only weigh about 49 kilos so he put me on 40mg twice a day i think? cant rememeber LOL hope the prescription will state how many again as i cant remember very well! im on a 4 month course i am terrified about the side effects but one of my friends went on it a few years ago and her skin is bloody amazing and she had NO SIDE EFFECTS!!! so it has given me some hope i guess your bound to find negative experiences on the internet than positive as the people who have had good experiences have prob got on with their lives.

Anyway heres to 4 months of hell LOL :dance: well hopefully it wont be so bad.am trying to keep positive!

One question anyone know a good moisturiser and lip moisturiser available in uk that is powerful enough for accutane users? thanks for reading xxx

Who are you seeing in Uk? The reason I am asking daughter weighs 49 kgs and she is on 40 mgs daily. She wanted a lower dose but derm says in order to achieve her cumulative dose, she will have to be on it longer. 40 mgs twice a day at your weight seems a lot to me.

Regarding the dryness, she uses aveeno which she says is very good and Elizabeth Arden 8 hr protectant lip balm, pricey but very good. I recently bought aveeno ultra calming with SP15 from ebay. A lot of people recommend aveeno but you cannot get the ones you want in uk. Hope this helps.

Hey you are probably on 40mg a day, as in the 20mg pills twice a day. Im also in the UK and we'll probably be taking the same brand. Beacon I think its called, each pill is 20mg.

Anyways good luck with your accutane journey!

Oh yeah also Im using vaseline lip therapy with aloe vera and also although the dryness isnt as bad anymore I was using dans moisturiser

Hey guys thanks alot for replying! yes i checked the presecription he gave me and im on 40mg a day so as he said twice a day i guess he means in 20mg tablet or something! thank god it was written on the presecription otherwise i would of been od-ing from day one LOL

I use that aveeno face wash already so thats good will just keep using that i have just got some cetaphil moisturiser too which i saw was good and will use vaseline. Thanks alot for the tips and i hope your daughter and you Joebloggs journey goes well best of luck x

Well i had my first blood test today to check im not pregnant LOL now i have to wait up to a week for the results and then once they have the results i have to wait another week before im allowed the accutane how silly why the long wait? anyone else had to wait that long?

Honestly there seems so much hype around this medicine and all this pre checks its making me even more warey of taking it!!! oh well ive waited like 15 years im sure i can wait 2 more weeks :D

Funny thing is i came off the antibiotics i have been taking for like 2 years and my face completely cleared up LOL crazy altho a few have come back now it was good while it lasted haha xx :D

Well i had my first blood test today to check im not pregnant LOL now i have to wait up to a week for the results and then once they have the results i have to wait another week before im allowed the accutane how silly why the long wait? anyone else had to wait that long?

Honestly there seems so much hype around this medicine and all this pre checks its making me even more warey of taking it!!! oh well ive waited like 15 years im sure i can wait 2 more weeks :D

Funny thing is i came off the antibiotics i have been taking for like 2 years and my face completely cleared up LOL crazy altho a few have come back now it was good while it lasted haha xx :D

Hey congrats from starting :) Im on a four month course too, 40mg/60mg every other day. Heres to clear skin for the both of us by April/May time!

Yeah i stopped antibiotics ages ago because taking them too long can give you nasty problems in the future. I think i was on them for 2-4 years...

on month 2 of accuntane 40mg a day. Im not gonna lie, some of the side effects have been horrible but fingers crossed i am pretty much clear right now so things are looking up.

good luck! it sucks to be in your twentys with acne, i should know..

Thanks alot guys yeah it is real crap still getting them thought i would of grown out of them by now! oh well good luck to you both with your treatment im hoping i will be like my friend and not have any side effects but knowing my body i will get the lot LOL The 4 page leaflet my derm gave me listing every part of the body and the side effect accutane can have on it im pretty sure i wont get away with none but gotta think positive! whats 4 months of hell for a lifetime of clear skin hopefully.

Gotta ring the hospital tomorrow to sort out picking it up eekkk am so nervous will try to keep this log up to date i know everyone elses logs have really helped me :D xx

Ok update i just picked up my first prescription i start tomorrow morning with breakfast yikes! the pharmasist said to take 2 with breakfast and thats it till the next day will post tomorrow! x

Ok update i just picked up my first prescription i start tomorrow morning with breakfast yikes! the pharmasist said to take 2 with breakfast and thats it till the next day will post tomorrow! x

Good luck!! I'm going to the derm on Monday to hopefully get it also!

Good for you, hopefully it'll be the best decision you ever made!

Im off to the derm on wednsday to get a top up and possibly an uppage on the dose

Thanks guys! and good luck with yours. :D

DAY ONE!

Just taken 2 pills after brekkie no side effects yet LOL im worried im going to create side effects coz im expecting them! im going to try to not get too obsessive!

My face at the moment i have about 11 spots and my neck and jaw line i have about 11 too. My body i have about 35 dotted around my arms/back and chest! i started applying vaseline last night to my lips my cetaphil moisturiser hasnt arrived yet so am going to be using aqueous cream am hoping that doesnt cause more spots!

Keep you updated x

I just started today as well!! Feb 1st 2008. I'm a 23 year old female. I've actually been on accutane before (When I was 16). It was the only drug that has ever cleared up my skin COMPLETELY. No breakouts at all for about 2 years - not a single pimple. But then when I went to college my skin started to break out again (minor at first but then it got worse). The pill helped but overall it was such a roller coaster. I would go 2 months with great/clear skin and then out of nowhere I would break out for 2 months straight.

Anyway, I'm glad to be back on it. Not looking forward to the side effects though. The dry skin/chapped lips aren't so bad. I'm really concerned about the initial worsening. I'm afraid if imy skin does the intial worsening like it did last time I'll have scars.

Oh also- my dermatologist is the doctor who invented accutane!! I'm really hopeful this will work for good.

Ah hey hun thanks for replying wish you all the luck with it this time round. Thats so funny the derm you see invented it! well ive nearly made it to the evening with no side effects i am quite thirsty but think thats just me! xx

[ive just added pics in gallery prob wont be able to see until tomorrow i know my skin doesnt look as bad as some people here but believe me ive been on antibiotics for 2 years! and i know what its like to have real bad skin as i did when i was younger. will post pics as i go on. My body is much worse than my face altho a nightmare to try to get pics of it LOL my back feels worse tonight can feel the ones under the skin forming nice! hate that feeling roll on day 2 haha :dance: im going to keep positive because im just thinking of the end result x

I'm starting today as well (Feb. 1) and am on the same dosage. My course may be longer though, unless my derm increases the dosage sometime. I know what you mean about obsessing over possible side effects. As long as its temporary, I'm pretty sure I can handle the common ones. Good luck to you!

Good luck to you guys.

Day 2

ok just taken my 2nd load no side effects yet had a slight headache yesterday and i was thirsty must of drank about 6 pints of water yesterday! its hard to know wether its the tablets or not dont want to blame every ache and niggle on them! LOL apart from that skin on my face looks like the oil is slightly drying up but no change apart from that!

Just so people know im using vaseline on my lips and aqueous cream on body and face until my cetaphil moisturiser arrives. Im taking accutane after breakfast on full stomach and drinking tons of water and taking fish oil tablet. I go to the gym prob 2-3 times a week and have a very healthy diet.

Will post more pics as the days go on xx

oh and the make of accutane im on is ISOTRETINOIN xx

Just wanted to up date im feeling quite achy and tired and weak today and headachy I did yoga and definatly didnt have as much strength as normal.

Dont worry im not complaining alot more people have it worse and im more than willing to feel like i have the flu for 4 months for clear skin! on the bright side my skin is actually looking quite healthy! got abit of a glow to it may be my imagination but spots seem to be drying up abit and face looks abit plumper! im sure this is the calm before the storm tho :D x

oh and the make of accutane im on is ISOTRETINOIN xx

Isotretinoin is the medical name for Accutane silly! Lol.. The brand will have a different name.

Just wanted to say good luck with your course! I get my script on Monday so looks like we can be tane buddies! I didn't have to go through nearly as many hoops as you did. Thank god for being a guy and for Canada's medical system! Walked in on thursday told the doc at the clinic I wanted Tane told him all the other meds I had tried and he gave me the form for bloodwork, said come back on Monday with the dosage amount I want him to prescribe! Funny thing is I only have one active spot right now, but im the type of person who can go for two months without a spot only to have like 5 show up at once and I can feel a breakout coming on. Besides im sick of not drinking, smoking, eating anything with glucose, stupid face creams, I JUST WANNA BE LIKE ANY OTHER GUY! Shower, shave, and hit the road. 5+ years of creams, lotions, pills, just gets to be so much emotionally and financially! Probably spent enough on acne shit to pay off my car loan. Did you talk to your doc about taking some sort of anti-biotics to negate any sort of IB? I have heard that erthromyacin can do wonders to avoid a IB if taken in the first two weeks of tane ?

Hiya thank you for posting and all the best with your course.

God im so blonde sometimes haha thought it was the name of my accutane :doh: I know what you mean when you say you want to feel normal i cant normally use any products on my skin apart from a face wash cant even use moisturiser or fake tan as i break out ;-( it gets bad under stress too so any events i have coming up are a nightmare!

I was on antibiotics for 2 years before taking accutane anyway so i really didnt want any more hehe my face was actually quite good before starting accutane but it has really bad moments and the worse are on my body at the mo!

Day 3

So nothing new to say am feeling better in myself today and my face has really cleared up! think i may have a small new spot under the skin on my lower back which is a bit tender but other places seem to be clearing and my skin is looking healthy feel like ive been in the sun for an hour or so feels really nice and plump! xx

Good luck to you pinkunicorns... I also just started taking tane, brand Sotret.. generic i think. I began one day after you so im on day 2 now, maybe we can moniter eachothers progress since we started so close, hope all is well and if i come up with any supportive advice i will let you know, and please do the same on my log!

Hiya aw thanks alot for posting! good luck with your course i will check out your progress i hope it works for you.

Day 4

Nothing to say really skin is drying up nicely spots are magically clearing up and my skin is looking really good! no side effects apart from slight headache slight achy neck but nothing bad! am lovin it so far! i have been using tons of moisturiser and vaseline and drinking lots of water! will take new pics in a few days! xx ;)

Day 5

Nothing really to say same as yesterday headache has gone today got a spot in my eyebrow! and a couple small ones on my back but nothing bad still all going well am still waiting for lots of erruptions though LOL xx ;)