Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pattie

So what exactly CAN I eat ?!?!?

I have been tested for food allergies (both skin and the ELISA blood test) and everything came back negative.

I have experimented with the Bood Type Diet and not eating chocolate, sugar, etc. This seems to limit exactly what I CAN eat.....it get's frustrating, however when I do follow certain guidelines.......my face does seem to clear up. However, I wonder what things I might be restricting that I could actually be eating. That is the reason I did the food allergy testing. In the end, the tests showed nothing........the allergist did warn me that could happen, but I was still hoping for a magical test that would just tell me what foods exactly were causing the acne, so I could just avoid those food and not feel deprived.

I bounce back between fasts........the Master Cleanse...........a Juice Fast, etc. and always end up feeling deprived and end of up bingeing on bad stuff after being back on solid food.

I have read conflicting things on different boards on here and web searches, magazine articles........etc, etc.

Most everything I seem to read says to NOT eat : chocolate, refined sugar, greasy stuff like pizza, any type of dairy, wheat products.........some say eggs are bad, some say they are not.

My hope in this board is to get ideas as I am coming off another binge and am going to start eating well again.

What is the consensus ? What foods does everyone avoid ? And, most importantly...........what is everyone able to eat safely without the fear that it causes acne ??? :think:

First, let me say that your eating options increase if you take apple cider vinegar, or any other effective digestion aid, HCL for example.

And here's a list just off the top of my head that I can personally eat without exacberating my acne:

-berries

-vegetables

-almonds, walnuts (no peanuts)

-seeds

-wild fish

-wild shellfish

-grass-fed meat

-oats (preferably soaked overnight to remove phytic acid)

-olive, canola oil

-seasonings

-dairy (in controlled proportions)

-unflavored yogurt (as much as I want)

-potatoes, sweet potatoes

So it's not too bad.

You can also try homemade pizza, which can taste pretty good and isn't THAT bad for your acne.

well, rakbs has some good suggestions, apart from the fact that seafood contains iodine, which is bad for acne, but so long as u dont eat it often its fine. also, different people have different reactions to things, you need to find out how these things affect you personally. I dont think you should limit your diet too much, half of these things probably dont have a significant effect. of course its good to limit sugar, salt and processed/junk foods, but you should still be able to eat SOME sugar and salt in moderation, so dont worry too much. The main thing to avoid really is dairy and any other foods you find are triggers for you. Anyway, some foods I would suggest are:

fruits (many people say oranges break them out, but any other fruit is good)

all vegetables including potatoes

chicken

fish (not shellfish though)

brown rice/pasta/bread (unless you are specifically trying to avoid gluten/wheat, but I dont think you need to unless you are sure you are allergic)

nuts and seeds

if you're avoiding specific things ie dairy or gluten, just look for substitutes (like you can use soya milk or you can buy things which say gluten free).

try and experiment with different recipies, seasonings etc, try making your own smoothies or your own substitutes for things like icecream, by using "safe" ingredients.

hope some of that helped!!

Thanks for your replies so far everyone.

This Saturday will mark 21 days that I haven't had ANY chocolate, refined sugar, wheat breat (although I eat Ezekiel bread-----which is supposed to be fine since it's a living food and sprouted.....and some other reasons I can't explain off the top of my head) , cheese, fried foods, cooked tomatoes, etc.

What HAVE I been eating : brown rice with a LITTLE tamari (the soy sauce is bad for acne due to the idodine), salads with turkey-pumpkin seeds, pears, grapes, raisins, cranberries, (if you live in Florida it's the HARVEST COBB salad from Crispers restaurant, sans the dressing and cheese), chicken....no skin, brown rice cereal with grapes (and some Stevia to sweeten it-which is supposed to be fine), my morning "porridge" that I have every day (consists of Keifir -which is supposed to be fine since it's organic and plain flavor and I only use it as the base -only about 1/2 cup........then bananas and strawberries, flax seed oil -3 TBs, and Stevia to sweeten), spinach, pot roast, broccolli, white rice, VERY limited shrimp (with TINY AMOUNT of "white sauce" from Chinese restaurant) , and egg drop soup.

The result ? My fair is clearer, but I still have acne on my cheeks and they are still BIG. I am tired of eating like a rabbit :wall: and wanted to eat bad again (I am an emotional eater) but I went to my aesthetician and she said it can take UP TO 6 MONTHS for some peoples acne to clear up completly. UGH! But I am still eating well. I also called my DR and am starting on birth control pills again. I had PERFECT skin in high school and after and am thinking that the BC can even out my hormones.......maybe this is causing the acne ??

I am eating a digestive enzyme after every meal to.......Papaya enzymes. I eat 3 per meal. They taste good too !!

I'll post an update.

But what about eggs everyone ? Because I was clearing up (so I thought) had egg drop soup TWICE and noticed the big acne on my cheeks. My aesthetician says eggs are fine.....it was just the OLD acne coming out from when I induldged on shakes from Steak n' Shake (Double Chocolate ....YUM!! :wub: ) , chocolate lava cake from Chili's, etc. But some people on here say eggs are bad ?????

So the bad list is :

eggs ?

wheat

dairy (unless it's organic and PLAIN flavored)

chocolate/refined sugar of any type

Does everyone agree ?? :think:

Eggs are individual. Don't rule them out based on egg drop soup from a Chinese place. Who knows what else was in it. If you want to test them out, check eggs out by trying hard boiled or poached. Hard boiled eggs are nice quick snack to keep in the fridge so don't quit them until you can 100% sure they are a problem.

Also, you said its been 21 days. Maybe there's some hormonal stuff going on. Give it more time. Before bcp you might want to read the DIM thread. Depends on if you want to be on bcp or not.

Also, if the ones on your cheeks are "big", do you mean inflammed/painful? If so, in addition to your diet, try to add a "go to" anti-inflammatory like green tea or decaf green tea, fish oil, turmeric, garlic. Maybe others have some suggestions, or search online natural anti-inflammatory food/herbs. Sometimes it is all your body needs to shrink those puppies down.

Sounds like you've made alot of good choices. Don't give up.

Good luck.

Egg drop soup? Loaded with salt, MSG, and what else? It's more likely the eggs aren't the culprit, rather the 'what else' in the soup. :)

There can never be a complete agreement among all people as to which diet works as it is so individual for each person and each person has DIFFERENT bacteria in the gut. You start growing your very own environment of bacteria in your gut before birth and then with further consumptions throughout your life, inhalations, what have you, you gather your very own personalized collection of the bacteria that are unique to you.

You'll have to do an elimination diet by the books to determine exactly which foods are problematic for you.

When you find a food that you think is problematic, write it down in a notebook. You might wish to keep a food journal and note everything you eat in one day and see if you can track trends of breakouts related to recently eaten foods. Please do a search via Google or some other search engine on "elimination diet" and you'll find descriptions of what to do to find the foods that trigger your acne. An elimination diet might take a while but it is worth it in the end as you will have your very own list (likely a LONG one) of what you CAN eat! :) Good luck.

Pat, your in need of some serious trial & error. Alot of the foods you have listed on this thread that you "believe" are OK, would personally break me out & many others. I'm not going to go indepth, yeah everyone is differnent, but bananas and strawberries???... There two of the worst fruits an acne sufferer can consume.

Right, out of all the foods you listed on this thread, alone, here are the safe ones you can consume, broccolli, flax seed oil -3 TBs, Organic Brown rice (not white) used sparingly. Everything else will give you a high risk of breakout. I mean salads?... Many fruit & vegatables cause breakouts. What are you putting in a healthy salad?.

With the Blood Type Diet, your going the right way, why stop???...

Peter D'Adamo: TYPEBase (Blood Group Diet Food Lookup)

VERY limited shrimp (with TINY AMOUNT of "white sauce" from Chinese restaurant)

LITTLE tamari

Egg drop soup? Loaded with salt, MSG, and what else? It's more likely the eggs aren't the culprit, rather the 'what else' in the soup. :)

There can never be a complete agreement among all people as to which diet works as it is so individual for each person and each person has DIFFERENT bacteria in the gut. You start growing your very own environment of bacteria in your gut before birth and then with further consumptions throughout your life, inhalations, what have you, you gather your very own personalized collection of the bacteria that are unique to you.

You'll have to do an elimination diet by the books to determine exactly which foods are problematic for you.

When you find a food that you think is problematic, write it down in a notebook. You might wish to keep a food journal and note everything you eat in one day and see if you can track trends of breakouts related to recently eaten foods. Please do a search via Google or some other search engine on "elimination diet" and you'll find descriptions of what to do to find the foods that trigger your acne. An elimination diet might take a while but it is worth it in the end as you will have your very own list (likely a LONG one) of what you CAN eat! :) Good luck.

my list of 'safe' food is very limited:

vegetables : spinach,broccoli, cauliflower, carrots,kale, salads

'unsafe' : tomatoes, paprica

safe fruit :

apples

unsafe : the rest.

no-no :

diary, wheat, sugar, dried fruit, nuts, seeds(?)

Pat, your in need of some serious trial & error. Alot of the foods you have listed on this thread that you "believe" are OK, would personally break me out & many others. I'm not going to go indepth, yeah everyone is differnent, but bananas and strawberries???... There two of the worst fruits an acne sufferer can consume.

Right, out of all the foods you listed on this thread, alone, here are the safe ones you can consume, broccolli, flax seed oil -3 TBs, Organic Brown rice (not white) used sparingly. Everything else will give you a high risk of breakout. I mean salads?... Many fruit & vegatables cause breakouts. What are you putting in a healthy salad?.

With the Blood Type Diet, your going the right way, why stop???...

Peter D'Adamo: TYPEBase (Blood Group Diet Food Lookup)

VERY limited shrimp (with TINY AMOUNT of "white sauce" from Chinese restaurant)

LITTLE tamari

Get real.

I have been tested for food allergies (both skin and the ELISA blood test) and everything came back negative.

I have experimented with the Bood Type Diet and not eating chocolate, sugar, etc. This seems to limit exactly what I CAN eat.....it get's frustrating, however when I do follow certain guidelines.......my face does seem to clear up. However, I wonder what things I might be restricting that I could actually be eating. That is the reason I did the food allergy testing. In the end, the tests showed nothing........the allergist did warn me that could happen, but I was still hoping for a magical test that would just tell me what foods exactly were causing the acne, so I could just avoid those food and not feel deprived.

I bounce back between fasts........the Master Cleanse...........a Juice Fast, etc. and always end up feeling deprived and end of up bingeing on bad stuff after being back on solid food.

I have read conflicting things on different boards on here and web searches, magazine articles........etc, etc.

Most everything I seem to read says to NOT eat : chocolate, refined sugar, greasy stuff like pizza, any type of dairy, wheat products.........some say eggs are bad, some say they are not.

My hope in this board is to get ideas as I am coming off another binge and am going to start eating well again.

What is the consensus ? What foods does everyone avoid ? And, most importantly...........what is everyone able to eat safely without the fear that it causes acne ??? :think:

You must take on a healthy lifestyle. Eating healthy for a period of time and binging on crap afterwards is a bad cycle. You should definetly eat well all the time, but NEVER deprive yourself. Sometimes eating well means giving yourself that occasional indulgence. Make a list of foods your consider healthy and then unhealthy. Make it a choice to give up a good amount of those unhealthy foods, but leave some that are "okay" that you will let yourself enjoy once in a while. This will keep you from feeling like you have to reward yourself. Eating well is not a punishment so make it fun and dont go overboard. If you eat crap one day... give your self time to recover and the next few days eat healthier.

as for the acne

since you are eating very healthy and cleansing maybe your should look into hormones. did you get blood work done checking your hormones levels, it could be caused by that.

My suggestion is for you to take a complete break from dieting. Remove your fixation on food; people on this board are way too carried away and taken on what i should eat, what I should, what I should eat. Sometimes it gets crazy and you lose your marbles. Go enjoy a week of food freely, and come back with a clearer and more prepared mind. One week won't kill or benefit your acne too much, as you probably have observed. Those binges are just making your body stressed...there is no point in being ultra restrictive to the point of caving to temptation....

My suggestion is for you to take a complete break from dieting. Remove your fixation on food; people on this board are way too carried away and taken on what i should eat, what I should, what I should eat. Sometimes it gets crazy and you lose your marbles. Go enjoy a week of food freely, and come back with a clearer and more prepared mind. One week won't kill or benefit your acne too much, as you probably have observed. Those binges are just making your body stressed...there is no point in being ultra restrictive to the point of caving to temptation....

can't be better said, i agree with john