Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The skin on the front of my face and top of forehead is covered in scales. I have been moisturizing it, but it does not get rid of the scales themselves. What can I do? Please help me. I look like a freak.

EDIT: I know exactly what caused it. I had not used any topicals for months and had just been washing my face once a day with cetaphil. My skin was perfectly clear during this time but about two weeks ago I got a couple of zits on my cheek and decided to go on the regimen. I purchased Neutrogena on the Spot BP 2.5% and Neutrogena Face Lotion with AHA http://acne.org/neutrogena-healthy-skin-fa.../368/page1.html

I applied both and my face turned bright red the first day. I repeated it for one more day until I realized that it was irritating my skin very badly at which point I promptly stopped. What is really weird is that this peeling did not start until almost two days after I had completely stopped using the products.

Will the peeling and scaling go away on its own since i know what triggered it? My skin was dry and flaky before BTW. Just nowhere near this severe.

post-6035-1200933617_thumb.jpg

post-6035-1200933617_thumb.jpg

The skin on the front of my face and top of forehead is covered in scales. I have been moisturizing it, but it does not get rid of the scales themselves. What can I do? Please help me. I look like a freak.

EDIT: I do not use anything on my face. I wash once a day with cetaphil.

EDIT: I do not use anything on my face. I wash once a day with cetaphil.

EXFOLIATE gently with a baby hair brush

Exfoliating at this point is probably just going to make it scale faster. You should go to a doctor and see if they can prescribe Protopic or Elidel, or if you want OTC Hydrocortisone will probably make a big difference.

yeah I am really scared to use an exfoliator on my face considering how severe the dry skin is and how disastrous the consequences could be if it goes wrong.

I guess I will try and see a doctor.

Hydrocortisone is a good idea. If it's in bad enough shape that exfoliation sounds scary, maybe a doctor is in order. :(

If you want to try a last-ditch effort before the doctor..... and I'm reeeally hesitant to recommend this.... but..... you could try smearing your face with Vaseline / petroleum jelly. Slather it on before bed, and then wash off in the morning.

Again, I hesitate to recommend, because petroleum jelly is supposed to be comedogenic, and I've also become wary of it for its possible carcinogenic properties. But, I've used it before and haven't broken out afterwards. And if it's just once or twice, it could help jumpstart the skin healing.

If you'd like something less industrial-sounding, I've become a huge fan of shea butter (sorry to anyone who's sick of hearing me talk about it! I promise to stop soon!). Shea butter is thick and slathery and greasy, and also noncomedogenic. :) I've always struggled with dry, crusty skin, and have been really pleased with the results from this stuff. Could give it a shot!

Just something to keep in mind:

One of the more common reasons why someone would complain of dry skin is that there is a thick layer of dead, old skin cells covering the skin's surface. Moisturizers can't permeate properly. So if you feel dry, you need to do something that is a bit counter-intuitive: you need to exfoliate first.

-Dr. Adrienne Denese, M.D. Ph.D.

The peeling will go away by itself. Don't use hydrocortisone. Just gently cleanse and moisturizer, if you're SURE the new treatment is what caused the irritation.

Aquaphor or petrolatum jelly help with redness and irritation.

petroleum jelly is fabulous and is non comedogenic! try moisturizing first with a gentle moisturizer,,,i use glycerin and water mix...and THEN put the vaseline after and in the morning it should be better...vaseline alone is not a moisturizer but a sealant and helps to heal. also have you checked out the oil cleansing method? its fab...i have like no flakies anymore...

i exfoliate with sugar and honey mask...i would recommend that you use brown sugar or oatmeal cuz you dont want any further irritation. let us know how it goes... :)

i have the same exact thing.. I use jojoba oil for a moisturizer and it works great for the same thing your getting... also cut back on the bp apllication dont use as much.. also be gentle with cleanser when exfoliating.. I use cetaphil mosturizer with jojobaoil it works good but in the morning i still get scales(flakes) i hate going to school with any noticeable flakes... i ordered dans moisturizer so i will see if that works for flakes... if not i might try an aha moisturizer..