Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maybe Someday

I Have Acne And I'm In Love

Like all teenagers I have to deal with schoolwork, my family, my friends and the imperfections I'd find even if I didn't have acne. I don't have a dermatologist or many support lines. My parents think I'm always making a big deal out of nothing. I sort of get tired of hearing about "the people who actually have REAL problems". Since I don't know what my goal in life is, I want to be the best I can be, feel the best I can feel. The way others feel shouldn't motivate me to be less than what I aspire... Sure acne might not be a life-threatening situation, but it hurts anyway...

A lot of adults don't seem to understand how much acne affects us teens... :( And it's even worse when you have someone in your life that you admire and want to impress. I didn't even really feel that great about myself when my skin was clear. I never really thought that much of boys. Don't get me wrong, I got crushes EXTREMELY easily. Last year I had a crush on 4 guys! :D Including a 35 year old celebrity (yikes...). What makes this year so different? Well, I have acne this year, when I never had it before. But not only that... As opposed to having a crush on multible guys like I usually do, I have a crush on only ONE. But no one understands, you'd think I'd be happy about having only one guy to impress and woo. But I feel so depressed. With the acne this year, something else also came up: I have NEVER ever felt like this about a guy EVER. He's so special to me, he's the apple of my eye. Which might be funny to say at 16... He's my everything. I enjoy talking to him, and sharing with him and forgiving him when he goes too far... I enjoy every part of him, even the annoying perverted sexist part of him. I don't care if he has imperfections, I adore him. I don't care if he can act like a total douche, because I know he's a good person, even when some people disagree and think he's an arrogant jerk. Since I've met him, my proudest moments are when I can make him feel better about himself. My proudest moments are seeing him happy and approving of me when I share my interest with him.

I've never cared about someone like this is my whole life... Him and I are friends, but the acne is ruining me... I'd have so much more confidence, and I'd be happy to smile at him more often. ;__; Why did I have to get acne this year? Of all years...? When something wonderful happened to me? When someone wonderful happened to me? I hate you acne! >_<

This is depressing... Words of empathy? XP

All I will say is that you should ask this guy out or if he likes you If he likes you, he will look past your skin or external "flaws". I really like a guy and he doesn't have perfect skin (active acne + acne scars). I suspect he likes me and I don't have perfect skin either. We both like each other's personalities and that is what has made him pretty "unforgettable" to me. His personality shines through those skin problems. He is the most attractive person I know personally because of his personality.

Remember that. Personality is much more important than any external "flaws" you might have.

PS. This is going to sound harsh but don't think have those thoughts of "why me?!" I had those thoughts many times when I was in high school and I wasn't living my life to the fullest. I was depressed and in a vicious self-hating cycle. Once I let go of those thoughts and decided to disregard those zits as much as I could, my life was much happier. Take care of yourself but don't let the acne control your life.

But teenagers are shallow. Even I'm shallow, especially in regards to myself. Sure, this guy might like me, who knows? But he'd probably much rather go out with a girl with perfect skin like his, and a wonderful personality like mine (not trying to boast)...

I want him to be happy. I'm not good enough for him, he deserves so much better and so much more happiness.

You need to have more confidence in yourself. I'm serious. Don't let acne beat you down!! People are attracted to self-confidence and it can take a person far. I'm sure you must have seen those couples where one of them is attractive and the other one isn't. What attracts them to each other is their personalities.

If you like this guy, pursue him. If things don't work out, at least you won't have the worst feeling ever...regret.

She woke up and struck a cord. She knew that there was alot of cord to be struck. Striking a cord, she was struck by a headache. "Strike you down", said the fat controller (who owns a cord). Strike me a cord. No, cry me a river, with a cord on strike. Struck by illness, the nurse cordially tended to her. As the cord was lowered six feet, the coffin struck the dirt.

The problem isn't really about confidence... I'm not saying my confidence is hyped up! But I can fake confidence quite easily. The thing I can't fake is happiness. On days where I feel depressed, frequently, I don't want him to see me that way. Like on Friday, he smiled at me and said hello, but I just looked down at the ground. I wanted to smile at him, he probably thinks I'm a jerk. D: And my mood does differ depending on the acne... It's all swell and stuff to try to look passed it, but it's not easy to DO. Sometimes I say to myself: "hmm, maybe I'll talk to him tomorrow if my acne is better." Sometimes there are days where I really need to tell him something, but I brush it off because I don't want him face to face with me...

The problem isn't really about confidence... I'm not saying my confidence is hyped up! But I can fake confidence quite easily. The thing I can't fake is happiness. On days where I feel depressed, frequently, I don't want him to see me that way. Like on Friday, he smiled at me and said hello, but I just looked down at the ground. I wanted to smile at him, he probably thinks I'm a jerk. D: And my mood does differ depending on the acne... It's all swell and stuff to try to look passed it, but it's not easy to DO. Sometimes I say to myself: "hmm, maybe I'll talk to him tomorrow if my acne is better." Sometimes there are days where I really need to tell him something, but I brush it off because I don't want him face to face with me...

hi maybesomeday. I kind of know how you feel. my acne ruined most of my time at school and ruined most of my chances at having relationships. but what I wanted to say was, it sounds like you and this guy have a really good relationship!! I never managed to be such good friends with a guy because I was too shy. Now I know that was stupid, but Im impressed that you have such a mature attitude to it!!! I dont know how bad your acne is, but Im sure its not as bad as you think, and I doubt this guy cares about it. (I now know from experience that most guys dont care about acne that much... my ex asked me out when I had really bad acne and was continually telling me im beautiful). anyway, Im just trying to say, dont let acne ruin something really good that you have/could have. I really hope it works out for u!!!

Lol. :D I was always a tomboy, so making friends with guys is really easy for me. I wouldn't say him and I are great friends, but we're mutually nice to one another.

i lost a high school love thanks to acne destroying my confidence.

don't fuck up like i did. i've never met anyone like that since.

That's not true. When you're a teenager, friendship has a far better chance of surviving. His kindness means the world to me, I'm not going to potentially ruin it.

Don't let acne define you as a person....it's not who you are. This guy likes you, not your skin.

Not to minimize your feelings, but at your age, acne is waaay more common. This is why adults don't take your feelings seriously, because they assume you'll grow out of acne like they did.

I know that acne is still damaging to the self-esteem at any age though, which is why you can't dwell on it too much. Think about everything you have going for you and realize that your acne is so small in comparison to these things.

At your age, moodiness is not uncommon either. I went through a terrible teenage depression and I did let it control my life and ruin friendships, and it set me back in life. It took me time to catch up to other people socially. I lost those few years in a way. I indulged myself too much and didn't value other people enough.

Don't let your moods take over. You do have control over how you feel. Sometimes you have to push aside those negative thoughts and feelings and focus on other people so you can maintain relationships. It's kind of a matter of being unselfish and not getting self-absorbed.

Instead of thinking about your acne and avoiding people because of it, think about their feelings and make that the motivation behind your actions. You've acknowledged the problem, so now you have to work to change a little.

I guess I can relate too.

Everyone's so quick to say "there are people out there that are fighting hunger, war, poverty... etc", and you just want to reply - well guess what? I'm not fighting any of that, this is what I DO have to fight.

About six months ago I met by total fluke a girl I wound up being pretty crazy over. Thankfully at the time I wasn't in breakout and for a super shy guy I had a freak burst of confidence - enough to impress myself no end, and thankfully her too. Fast forward a few months and my yearly confidence burst is all but used up and the breakout cycle is back in force.

It took me so long to ask her out but eventually I just forced myself to blurt it out, and couldn't be happier that I did. We've been going out for nearly two months now. I still freak about her seeing me broken out, she doesn't seem to mind but if I have a better side I try to sit with that side facing her. Right now I'm waiting for my face to get a little better so we can see each other again. Sometimes I worry that she thinks I don't see her enough, but what do I say?

"It's not that I don't want to see you, I just don't want you to see my hideous face - it's bad enough that I have to look at it!". Haha...

I guess ultimately you just have to do the best you can to push past it and not let it hold you back. It's not easy, and some people that think there's an immediate solution (to the psychological issues) are kidding themselves. But you can try - and trust me, while it's not reality that everyone will look past your acne, if that special someone thinks you are too - they will.

Good luck with everything, and don't give up.

I guess I can relate too.

Everyone's so quick to say "there are people out there that are fighting hunger, war, poverty... etc", and you just want to reply - well guess what? I'm not fighting any of that, this is what I DO have to fight.

About six months ago I met by total fluke a girl I wound up being pretty crazy over. Thankfully at the time I wasn't in breakout and for a super shy guy I had a freak burst of confidence - enough to impress myself no end, and thankfully her too. Fast forward a few months and my yearly confidence burst is all but used up and the breakout cycle is back in force.

It took me so long to ask her out but eventually I just forced myself to blurt it out, and couldn't be happier that I did. We've been going out for nearly two months now. I still freak about her seeing me broken out, she doesn't seem to mind but if I have a better side I try to sit with that side facing her. Right now I'm waiting for my face to get a little better so we can see each other again. Sometimes I worry that she thinks I don't see her enough, but what do I say?

"It's not that I don't want to see you, I just don't want you to see my hideous face - it's bad enough that I have to look at it!". Haha...

I guess ultimately you just have to do the best you can to push past it and not let it hold you back. It's not easy, and some people that think there's an immediate solution (to the psychological issues) are kidding themselves. But you can try - and trust me, while it's not reality that everyone will look past your acne, if that special someone thinks you are too - they will.

Good luck with everything, and don't give up.

I really don't agree. I want to be mature enough before I ever go into such a relationship with him. If I wait, yes, we might never see each other again. But I rather that than having "young love" and then having our hearts broken so easily by the stupidest things and having bad memories of one another. Coffee every month satisfies me.

your suffering what allmost if not all of us suffer except rcranger..i think is how you spell his username, that man has the BEST outlook towards his acne and life in general, dont know him personally but he seems like a fantastic person..anyways im also the same as you..on days where my skin isnt looking good im like a tottal different person..when my skin looks decent or better im happy, loud, energetic, everyone loves me tho wich im very grateful to have so many great friends who judge me by who i am...so that makes things alot easier..and i too have a girlfriend and im 16 il be 17 in may but still suffer with acne..and i am a VERY confident person wich is one of my best attributes and my girl loves it, but when i dont look as good my confidence DEF drops..but i try to overlook it and remember if she didnt like me then she wouldnt be going out with me rite??..so keep your head up and jsut live life...let people say whatever they want because im a strong believer in karma and i think awkwardly acne has helped in the sense of being a more humble person and not judgemental like alot of people are..good luck and ps. if you never try and take the chance to get things to work out between the 2 of you, then how will you ever know what it COULD of been..and believe me it will bother you FOREVER..take a chance life is short...good luck

I really don't agree. I want to be mature enough before I ever go into such a relationship with him. If I wait, yes, we might never see each other again. But I rather that than having "young love" and then having our hearts broken so easily by the stupidest things and having bad memories of one another. Coffee every month satisfies me.