Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jolian

Olive Skin

How can I tell if someone has "olive skin"? That is, what does it look like? I've never been sure.

I have olive skin. Olive skin is generally yellow-golden-greenish and warm. Or at least that's how I describe it. Aishwarya Rai, Jessica Alba, and Jennifer Lopez have olive skin. Italian people and Asians also do, of course.

Skin, like any other color chart, can be categorized by how much RED, BLUE and YELLOW makes up the color (in skin the blue always leans toward yellow, making it more green than blue).

Olive skin litterally means there is a green cast to the color, like a green olive - an earthy green undertone. It is generally associated with darker skin tones, but does not HAVE to be dark, this is a common mistake that people make.

There are several different undertones that skin can have (as well as combinations of them).

Olive (green), Yellow and Red (pink). Many people think that "Asians" for example all have yellow toned skin, this is not true. It is very common that east asian skin tones have more Yellow undertone than Olive or red, but this varies of course. Many native american groups have a red undertone, as do many East Indians, as well as many african skin types. Of course yellow is a common undertone in East Indian skin too. Olive skin tone is very common in the meditteranean as well as in some native american and asian people. People with red hair generally are red/pink in their skin undertone as well.

Basically EVERYONE has some combination of all three undertones in their skin, if they lean much more toward one of the three colors, then it is much easier to categorize them as "olive, pink or yellow." Every skin undertone can be beautiful or look awful if the person has poor skin health. There is no one natural undertone that is more pleasing to the human eye (there have been experiments done on this too, I wish I had a link to one of them for you). Although a touch of sun (not to be confused with as much sun as a tan) on any skin is shown to reduce Vitamin D deficiency, increase circulation and boost overall health, as well as make a person's skin appear healthier and more universally attractive. The amount of daily sun required increases the darker a person's skin is.

This is a very interesting side note and is worth looking up - Vitamin D deficiency is a real problem in northern climates. Just google vitamin D deficiency and see.

I hope this helps, I know I went a bit off of your question. I used to study human variability and I have read a few studies on skin variation (a few years ago now), it is pretty interesting stuff.

Olive skin literally means there is a green cast to the color, like a green olive - an earthy green undertone. It is generally associated with darker skin tones, but does not HAVE to be dark, this is a common mistake that people make.

Olive skin literally means there is a green cast to the color, like a green olive - an earthy green undertone. It is generally associated with darker skin tones, but does not HAVE to be dark, this is a common mistake that people make.

Yes, I am very fair and definitely have olive toned skin. My skin looks greenish compared to most people, but not in a sickly way :D

I have a hard time finding good foundation matches as people tend to think all olive skin is medium coloring, and so colors with that tone are often too dark for me. I also notice many people with a medium skin tone called olive when they really aren't. There's a lot of Asians and Latin people whose skin is more golden or warm than olive.

I would say that olive skin is more of a neutral tone than warm. It has a lot of yellow in it, but some blue too, which gives it that green color.

I would say that Ziyi Zhang is a good example of someone with olive skin that is light.

Thanks for all your replies--they were very helpful! :D The reason I asked is because I was wondering if I'm olive, even though I'm fair right now. From the descriptions, I guess I am.

I don't have proof, but I really thought a lot of Asians had cooler skin tones

and I THINK that cool tones are actually much more common.

The way I determine olive skin tone is whether gold jewelry looks better than silver (if both look good they probably are not olive) against the skin and also whether or not autumn colors "go" with their skin. Fall colors make most other people look sickly lol

and I THINK that cool tones are actually much more common.

The way I determine olive skin tone is whether gold jewelry looks better than silver (if both look good they probably are not olive) against the skin and also whether or not autumn colors "go" with their skin. Fall colors make most other people look sickly lol

Both look great on me actually, haha....colors that make me look sickly are pastels, they make me look sooo sallow. Baby blue is the ugliest color on me.

I get my coloring from my mom's side, which is Mediterranean also, Spanish & Italian.

I always thought that warm tones are more common. It seems more people have yellow and red skin tones to me :shrug:.

I've actually seen olive grouped as warm and cool before, depending on the makeup. I find that if there are no colors specifically for olive tones, that neutrals work best.

I don't know about the gold vs silver jewelry (both look fine on me, although I personally prefer silver) but I definitely agree with autumn colors. One of my favorite colors to wear is burnt orange, and I've actually had people gawk at me and say, "Okay, no one is supposed to look good in orange".

And ditto on the pastels....pastel yellow makes me look jaundiced.

These comments just go to show you that everyone has some combination of all three undertones. I am definately considered olive (I get a bit too green looking in the dead of winter), my skin is medium, not light. But, I have a lot of yellow in my skin too. The yellow comes out as I tan (I turn really golden) and in the foundation that I have to wear, it is tough to find enough yellow in the base color of most makeup.

It is a common semi-racist remark to call asian skins yellow, as it is a very common undertone in certain asian groups. But, yes Oni, many asians have very pink skin too. Asia is a very large/generic area and too diverse genetically to be categorized as all one type for any human trait.

Like you guys I have a mixture. I am Mediterranean through my dad who is Carribean, but mostly Mediterranean French (some Basque, English, African, possibly native Caribbean & East Indian too). My mom is mostly Irish (some English & German mixed in).

I only look good in silver if I have a tan, but still think white gold is my best "white" metal for jewelry. I mostly go for gold. I also look great in burnt orange and tan colors, but blue is a really nice color for me (especially baby blue in summertime) because it tones down the green and compliments the yellow in my skin which is a nice combo. I was color typed once and called a versatile Autumn - meaning I can wear any season of colors, but Autumn is my primary color group.

EDIT: when it comes to warm or cool it is not as clear as the three undertones we were talking about before. More caucasian skin is cool than warm, but if you are tanned or dark it will sort of make cool skin appear "warmer" in terms of what colors flatter it. The pink undertone skin is generally "pink-blue" and considered cool. most olive skin has a yellow quality to it (just like green olives are a yellow-green and not a blue-green color). Usually hair & eye color help determine if you are warm or cool. The gold/silver thing is true, if you can't tell, it is easier to see against a large sheet of gold or silver color cloth or something like that than with jewelry.

Burnt orange is myyy color :P I dunno, I have an eye for color (interior design major woop woop) and my mom tells me silver and gold both look good on me. But to me, gold clearly "blends" better with my skin even though neither look bad. I was in this class in high school, don't remember the name, but we had to determine if each person in the class had a cool or warm skin tone. We each had to surround our face in a metallic gold and metallic silver cloth. People with cool tones look healthier surrounded by the silver than gold and vice versa. Only like 2-4 people had a warm skin tone which my teacher said was typical...but that was only some high school class :shrug: There's definitely a lot of factors

We each had to surround our face in a metallic gold and metallic silver cloth. People with cool tones look healthier surrounded by the silver than gold and vice versa. Only like 2-4 people had a warm skin tone which my teacher said was typical...but that was only some high school class :shrug: There's definitely a lot of factors

And yes as far as clothes go, eyes and hair do make a difference but not for makeup. Your hair can go through all the colors of the rainbow, your skin and the right makeup won't.

And yes as far as clothes go, eyes and hair do make a difference but not for makeup. Your hair can go through all the colors of the rainbow, your skin and the right makeup won't.

For foundation that might be true, but not other makeup. Certain colors look better on me depending on what shade of brown my hair is. When my hair is a cool color it makes my skin seem sallow also, so wearing certain colors in makeup helped counteract that. I try and keep my hair warm toned cuz then I look better with less makeup and can wear a wider variety of colors.

Also eye color is obviously going to influence what eye shadows look good on you.