Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snookerman

My blackhead nightmare **pictures**

Hello,

I have tried many expensive mens cosmetics (Zirh,Anthony etc) and I just cannot get rid of these stubborn blackheads.

It is getting to a stage where it is having a big impact on my life - I have zero confidence in many social situations, wont have my photo taken (my friends think this is v.weird!) and feel disgusted when I look in a mirror (something I never do) - generally this is making me feel very depressed.

Currently using Lab Series scrub 3x a week, Lab Series Power Wash daily and Lab Series Mask 2x a week. I use a nivea moistureiser after washing.

I am based in Scotland - would this be something a G.P would be able to treat? Would they refer me to a dermatologist?

Any comments welcome. :cry:

Edit - The photos show some extra redness as I have been trying to squeeze some out - they are a lot darker in real life. Also my skin is generally very oily.

Hi,

I've heard the best way to deal with blackheads is scrubs, which you're doing, and using less moisturiser. I'd can the nivea and try cetaphil because it is non-comedogenic - ie non clogging. You can try very gently steaming your face once a week over some boiling water, but be careful - only do it for 5 minutes as you can break capillaries if you expose your skin to boiling water for too long.

Also, why not try getting a facial once or twice a month - they can safely extract your blackheads for you.

Good luck!

Hi,

I've heard the best way to deal with blackheads is scrubs, which you're doing, and using less moisturiser. I'd can the nivea and try cetaphil because it is non-comedogenic - ie non clogging. You can try very gently steaming your face once a week over some boiling water, but be careful - only do it for 5 minutes as you can break capillaries if you expose your skin to boiling water for too long.

Also, why not try getting a facial once or twice a month - they can safely extract your blackheads for you.

Good luck!

It doesn't look that bad actually. I think there's a reason why your friends are perplexed why you don't want your pictures taken. Your complexion overall looks great btw.

I've been using ZAPZYT 10% Benzoyl Peroxide for a few weeks now for my blackheads. It's pretty effective I must say, surpassing Mandelic acid for me. I got mine on eBay.

Is it possible you can go to a dermotologist? I ask because I'm using Retin-a Micro at the moment. My derm gave me a ton of samples of this stuff and my blackheads are gone. I have other issues way worse than yours (as mentioned by another, your overall complexion is great), but I was pleased to see how effective this stuff was on the blackheads. It took roughly 3 weeks for them all to disappear.

Low dose of accutane, mandelic acid/gentle retinoid will clear these suckers up in no time.

Guaranteed.

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement, I know there are people who suffer a lot more than me :(

In regards to the above "accutane" and "mandelic acid/gentle retinoid" are these found on prescription / only from a G.P? Or can they be purchased from a pharmacy or internet?

As mentioned I am based in the UK and Im not sure if this 'cosmetic' treatment is covered by the NHS.

Many Thanks again.

Low dose of accutane, mandelic acid/gentle retinoid will clear these suckers up in no time.

Guaranteed.

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement, I know there are people who suffer a lot more than me :(

In regards to the above "accutane" and "mandelic acid/gentle retinoid" are these found on prescription / only from a G.P? Or can they be purchased from a pharmacy or internet?

As mentioned I am based in the UK and Im not sure if this 'cosmetic' treatment is covered by the NHS.

Many Thanks again.

Guaranteed.

Many Thanks again.

Guaranteed.

Many Thanks again.

There is no way you'd be able to get accutane in the uk for blackheads, you should just ask your GP for some Retin-A 0.025% gel it works really well

Guaranteed.

Many Thanks again.

There is no way you'd be able to get accutane in the uk for blackheads, you should just ask your GP for some Retin-A 0.025% gel it works really well

Guaranteed.

Many Thanks again.

I didn't mean to come across as patronizing. I hope I didn't make you feel that way. Good luck on your quest to vanquish the mighty blackhead legion! :)

Hello,

I have tried many expensive mens cosmetics (Zirh,Anthony etc) and I just cannot get rid of these stubborn blackheads.

It is getting to a stage where it is having a big impact on my life - I have zero confidence in many social situations, wont have my photo taken (my friends think this is v.weird!) and feel disgusted when I look in a mirror (something I never do) - generally this is making me feel very depressed.

Currently using Lab Series scrub 3x a week, Lab Series Power Wash daily and Lab Series Mask 2x a week. I use a nivea moistureiser after washing.

I am based in Scotland - would this be something a G.P would be able to treat? Would they refer me to a dermatologist?

Any comments welcome. :cry:

Edit - The photos show some extra redness as I have been trying to squeeze some out - they are a lot darker in real life. Also my skin is generally very oily.

Hey!

Just a word of advice re: seeing GPs on the NHS in Scotland/England.....

You have to be quite pushy - go in with a prescription you have in mind (I have no idea which one you want to go for BTW) and even take print outs and really push home how much having these things is affecting your quality of life.... and if anything, I would remember what its like on your worst days, if you see what I mean and really emphasize that point.

I only speak from experience - IMHO GPs really don't know that much about anything, and you end up having to do the legwork yourself on your medications etc (which is what happened to me). Particulary for something like acne.

And by all means ask for a referral to a dermalogist - you can only try! But remember they are unlikely to refer you to one - but again, you can only really try.

I have spent too much of my life thinking that GPs know it all, when they don't! I'm quite bitter about it actually, as I've spent a good couple of years taking something for a condition I thought that the GPs knew how to treat, and suffering horrible side effects, only to have come to the conclusion that they're pretty unknowledable about the whole thing, and it was only after I'd done the legwork myself that my condition improved!

So there you go. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

One of my best mates had really terrible acne (and I mean terrible) and luckily she got to see a dermalogist on the NHS in Glasgow.....

Hey. I know blackheads can be frustrating. I know its hard not to sqeeze but try to resist the temptation- that will just lead to MARKS. If you're washing your face too much (scrubbing too hard or using too harsh soaps), you can cause your skin to produce more oils than it normally would and you could just end up making your blackheads worse. I always thought the cure to my blackheads would be keeping them really dry but actually that never worked for me, it made it worse which was so frustrating to me. What helped me was exfoliating my skin gently when i'm in the shower, and applying an oil free moisturizer after. Moisturizing was the key. I know using moisturizer seems weird but it helps your skin to maintain its moisture and not over produce oil and clog your pores even more. Don't be so harsh with your skin! Drink a lot of water too. ALSO try this. Use a mask of eggwhite and some lime mixed into it and put it on ur face and wash off after completely dry, that also helped me with my blackheads. However, you may just naturally have a problem with over production of oil. The best thing to do is see your dermatologist if nothing else works. GOOD LUCK

I used mandelic acid relgiously twice a day for over a month.

It's not helping at all...

I'll try putting on the moisturizer though..

Hi guys

I thought I would give you an update as you were all so helpfull.

I was prescribed Zynert which was useless and smelt really bad, went back and was given Duac gel. This was much better and I now rarely get spots - blackheads are still there but not as bad.

I would like to know what moistureizer people reccomend? Something you can buy from Superdrug or Boots for example? I get really oily skin throughout the day and I am constantly blotting it with tissue.. this cant be good!

At the moment I use Lab Series Power wash morning and night, NO moistureizer and lab series facial scrub once a week. Duac gel before bed after washing.

Many Thanks

edit double post.