Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mogs

Benzoyl Peroxide is as effective as retin a for comedonal acne

Here is a great article I found about benzoyl peroxide. It is full of interesting information, and shows that benzoyl peroxide really is an excellent treatment and as good as retin a for comedonal (blocked pores) acne.

It also contains lots of information about how exactly benzoyl peroxide works.

- In 5 studies where BP was compared to topical retinoids, only 1 study showed topical retinoids were better with the other 4 showing no difference, and 1 as BP being slightly better.

- A recent study also showed that the keratolyic properties of BP were similar to topical retinoids and salicyclic acid, and is more comodolytic than was previously thought.

- It concluded that BP is the most cost effective regimen for mild to moderate acne.

- Benzoyl peroxide reduced the population of P acnes in 3 days to the same extent as clindamycin (an antibiotic) does after 14 days.

Thought it was interesting cos this site is really for benzoyl peroxide as a treatment, and also for those who didn't get results with tretinoin/differin for their acne. (IE: GREASINESS!!!)

Read article here:

That is VERY interesting! Most people think that BP's only effect is to kill p. acnes. This article clearly shows otherwise. It provides additional support for the method my esthetician uses at her acne clinic. She uses BP not only for inflamed acne, but also for its peeling effects on comedonal acne. She has a 90 to 95% success rate for clearing her clients' skin using her treatment methods.

I think the only place she would diverge from this article is that she does not think 2.5% BP is strong enough to induce the peeling effects necessary to reduce comedone formation.

check the references :) some are dated back from the 70's, others from the early 90's. Doesn't seem that long ago but in the cosmetic industry even 2 years is alot!

check the references :) some are dated back from the 70's, others from the early 90's. Doesn't seem that long ago but in the cosmetic industry even 2 years is alot!

Hi, yes I thought is was a useful article, especially as you tend to think the grass is greener with topical retinoids. And they give such mixed results! It's from PJ online, the official journal of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain.

I think the only place she would diverge from this article is that she does not think 2.5% BP is strong enough to induce the peeling effects necessary to reduce comedone formation.

yeah, all i get is comedonal acne and i use sulfur soap with my morning shower and BP at night. it seems to be the best combination for me. i have tried BHA and AHA and they just irritate me and cause never-ending flare ups. YMMV.

dozer

Hi guys!

Here's an update;I am having really good results with benzoyl peroxide 5%!

You know where you get tiny bumps which aren't really blackheads/spots? I think they're called milia? I have them on my neck and they are nearly all gone!! I also have them under my eyes, so I'll be trying a once a week treatment with BP, since it is absolutely smoothing out the skin on my neck.

My nose which has whiteheads is responding really well too, and getting smoother and smoother!!

My blocked pores and spots are responding excellently and clearing up well.

IMO BP is way more peeling than salcyclic acid, it really sands down your skin. I'm using it on some rough skin on my butt :lol: and it does really work, the day after you can feel a difference.

BP works better than retin A for me, because unfortunately Retin A caused crazy greasiness which is still causing my skin to overeact 6 months later!!! Why??

It also didn't seem to have much of an effect on my existing spots, or be preventative for new ones. I have mild acne and normal-to slighty greasy skin.

I am really, really happy with BP, give it a try if retin A doesn't work for you!

Mogs x

Well, this article answered my question about BP vs SA and GA for comedonal acne. I have noticed that SA 2% alone and GA 10% alone don't really do anything for my comedonal acne but BP clears it up 99%. This didn't make sense to me because everything I have read recommends SA and GA for comedonal acne. Although, I have read that BP is slightly keratolytic and that used with an effective sunscreen has the same effects as a GA treatment [something along those lines]. Nice read, thanks.

Great article.

LOL so does my increased greasiness of my skin after using BP is good? I am only oily on my forehead and nose mostly and those parts of my face are clearer than others.