Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

:cry: Will these EVER go away? Are we hopeless?

:cry::cry: I feel like nothing will work for my acne scars. Mine are atrophic ones (slightly pitted ones) and i feel hopeless that I will never have great skin again or anything next to perfect is fine with me. Also, I am not wealthy enough to do any dermabrasions or laser and even if i did have the moleh, I doubt I would do it since my scars aren't exactly bad but just sort of pitted and yes they are noticeable, especially near a lot of lighting. But really, what works for you guys? I've been reading through this scar forum for quite a while today and although there are some success stories, there are also unsuccessful ones. Also I can't find one post that says they've healed their atrophic acne scars fully. Well, maybe they have but haven't yet shared it? Anyways Is there anything I can use on my face other then going for things like dermabrasions/lasers? I don't know whether they will hurt and as my scars are just slightly pitted, I'd be too chicken to even go through lasers etc. :naughty: What about topical gels, etc.? I know most of 'em like "Mederma" works but only for hypertrophic (non-pitted) scars. Are there gels for Atrophic ones? Though I feel doubtful about any gels working properly because otherwise everybody with any sorts of acne scars would have already bought them and used the gels and wudn't be in this forum. In conclusion I feel hopeless that my atrophic scars won't heal on my face... I don;t want to make anybody feel bad from reading this, so Im sorry if I have but i just wanted to get it off me. Any suggestions guys? If, like myself, you've been in my shoes and that you've have healed from some/most or even all of your pitted scars, please do share, I'll appreciate any help! :dance::dance:

:cry::cry: I feel like nothing will work for my acne scars. Mine are atrophic ones (slightly pitted ones) and i feel hopeless that I will never have great skin again or anything next to perfect is fine with me. Also, I am not wealthy enough to do any dermabrasions or laser and even if i did have the moleh, I doubt I would do it since my scars aren't exactly bad but just sort of pitted and yes they are noticeable, especially near a lot of lighting. But really, what works for you guys? I've been reading through this scar forum for quite a while today and although there are some success stories, there are also unsuccessful ones. Also I can't find one post that says they've healed their atrophic acne scars fully. Well, maybe they have but haven't yet shared it? Anyways Is there anything I can use on my face other then going for things like dermabrasions/lasers? What about topical gels, etc.? Though I feel doubtful about any gels working properly because otherwise everybody with any sorts of acne scars would have already bought them and used the gels and wudn't be in this forum. In conclusion I feel hopeless that my atrophic scars won't heal on my face... I don;t want to make anybody feel done from reading this, so sorry if I have but i just wanted to get it off me. Any new suggestions guys?:doubt:

:cry::cry: I feel like nothing will work for my acne scars. Mine are atrophic ones (slightly pitted ones) and i feel hopeless that I will never have great skin again or anything next to perfect is fine with me. Also, I am not wealthy enough to do any dermabrasions or laser and even if i did have the moleh, I doubt I would do it since my scars aren't exactly bad but just sort of pitted and yes they are noticeable, especially near a lot of lighting. But really, what works for you guys? I've been reading through this scar forum for quite a while today and although there are some success stories, there are also unsuccessful ones. Also I can't find one post that says they've healed their atrophic acne scars fully. Well, maybe they have but haven't yet shared it? Anyways Is there anything I can use on my face other then going for things like dermabrasions/lasers? What about topical gels, etc.? Though I feel doubtful about any gels working properly because otherwise everybody with any sorts of acne scars would have already bought them and used the gels and wudn't be in this forum. In conclusion I feel hopeless that my atrophic scars won't heal on my face... I don;t want to make anybody feel bad from reading this, so Im sorry if I have but i just wanted to get it off me. Any suggestions guys? will appreciate any help!:doubt:

I dont know how old you are, but if you live at home, and can get a job , then you can have smoothbeam or pixel treatments for as cheap as 200 quid a go. Ive had three now and I have noticed improvement. I use the money Im earning from a crappy call center job while I plan to go back to uni. Gonna have two more pixel treatments at full intensity to really burn these bastards off my face to the point where I dont care anymore. Ive learned that 50% of scarring is all in your mind, its hard to come to terms with but its true, most people just dont give a shit. In fact since I started getting friends and 'living life' I dont even visit this place so much anymore, in the depths of my scar induced BDD issues I would spend 3 hours+ researching scar treatments a day, yes sounds crazy, but it takes rock bottom I guess for some people to wake up. good luck.

Hi Jon,

I feel your pain. Sometimes I scars don't bother me. Sometimes I forget I even have them. Sometimes I don't think I have them. Other times (like today), I am obsessed with them. It's hell! Like you, I so want to go through a safe procedure and rid myself of scars. But I doubt there is a "safe" procedure. Who knows, maybe there is hope for us. It's just that there is so much to research!

yep. scars sucks the life out of people. it holds us back from being ourselves. i'm always self-conscious about my scars. i wear make-up to try to cover them up. if i don't look in the mirror then i'm ok. but i need to learn to look in the mirror and accept myself. i spent so much money on craps that don't work and made it worst. i'm considering to do fraxel. i'm so tired of spending money on products that don't work.

i have hope that fraxel works. people seems to make comments on my scars that's making me feel even more self-conscious. i have a cousin who one day just blurted out "hey what did you do to your face? the scars are so bad". she didn't understand the pain i go through with acne (been on accutane 3 years ago) and now scarring. i'm asian so people are brutally honest in my family. but i guess its a good thing somewhat so i can do something with my scars.

i hope fraxel works. i'm planning to do 4-series of fraxel for $3000. but most importantly, we all need to learn to accept ourselves!!!!

i'm still not there yet. :cry:

:D supergirl.

hey supergirl86, syr tat u feel this way, and all the best 2 u.

like rob schneider once said in the movie the waterboy: "You can do it!" ;)

Have you tried a retinoid? A lot of people advise trying this first, for scars. It will take a long time, probably a year at least, but you should see some improvement. This is a very safe way to try to improve your scars.

hey, just wondering if retin a can be bought in canada.?also anybody tried benzaclin gel for their scars?

I have been battling my scars for years. I developed severe acne about 7 years ago, that I have had under control for about 3 years. Ugh! I know how you feel. The thing is, with atrophic scarring in my experience I improved some over time, but not by much. As you get older and you lose more collagen they may even become more pronounced. Over the past 7 years or so I have tried numerous treatments to fix my scars. Acid peels (lactic, AHA, BHA) at high concentrations, copper peptides, vit c serums, expensive creams, retin A micro, tazorac, microdermabrasion, omega 3 supplements, other vitamin supplements, quitting smoking, the list goes on.... I think that they may have helped some. On the other hand the scars are still there. A good friend of mine, whom is Japanese, I am Japanese-American, has always told me the truth about my looks. *I feel for my asian friend from an earlier post. She tells me that my skin does look a little better than when we first met 4 years ago, but I still had acne then. I don't mean to put a cloud over your hopes, but you have to be realistic about what you can get from treatments. I have spent thousands trying to fix my skin. Yesterday I had my first pixel treatment. This is the first time that I have had serious expectations. With all of the other treatments I only had hopes. The only thing I can suggest for you at this point is a very healthy diet/lifestyle, which makes your skin look better overall. You could also try a retinoid like previously mentioned. That is one of the only non-procedure reliable ways to stimulate collagen.

I have got some atrophic ones too Jon and its been occupying my mind for a few years,

I think I'll need a decent strength peel to get rid of whats left as they have had 4-5 years natural recovery and obviously have improved to a certain extent ,

But in the next few years I imagine they will end up deeper again as my body wont be able to produce collagen as well as it did.

So ill keep you updated to tell you how it improves/worsens the skin.

What are you currently using for yours?

I have very large and deep atrophic saucers. I've tried everything invasive and non invasive, including fraxel and silicone, with no improvement. Nothing is going to really work satisfactorily in this era. You just have to try to pick up the pieces and move on. It's really hard.

I have very large and deep atrophic saucers. I've tried everything invasive and non invasive, including fraxel and silicone, with no improvement. Nothing is going to really work satisfactorily in this era. You just have to try to pick up the pieces and move on. It's really hard.

I think needling would be be the best for mild and deap atrophics,

Because you dont damage the outer dermis as much yet you can break up the scar tissue and force your skin to make collagen.

Ylem, Where are your scars located? What all have you had done besides Fraxel and silicone?

Why don't you try TCA CROSS or needling or saline injections??? I'm very sorry you've gone through so much...a lot of people have complained about not getting very much of a result from Fraxel as well as other lasers on depressed scarring. I think you should try treating some of your scars yourself. You could use saline injections on the depressed excision scars and TCA CROSS and TCA peels. Everyone who does these things reports having very good improvements. You might not get perfection, but still, get a very good improvement also :)

Ylem, Where are your scars located? What all have you had done besides Fraxel and silicone?

Well, until my chemicals arrive in the post to burn part of my face off,

I will be needling a shallow saucer type scar on my left cheek with one of my mums sewing needles that I stole from her sewing box :whistle: ,

Its only a test! but basically all I want to do is sterilize the needle and pierce the skin ever so slightly 3-5 times till it bleeds a little , then let it scab.

If it doesn't work, meh, Not even bothered .

If it does , then I will rinse and repeat the process.

Vlem, does Accutane work for you? I know some people are resistant to it.

I did my course in 2005. I take one pill or two when I start breaking out. It really really helps.

One time I had to take a few days in a row, because I was breaking out a lot. The acne went away.

I don't like to put any kind of creams on my face except for Retin A. I break out when I try those home dermabrasion kits. Besides I think they are a waste b/c of my type of scarring.

I get my accutane when I go to South America, since no doctor would prescribe me that for a zit or two. I usually take 20mgs or 40 if i'm breaking out a lot.

I hate breakouts, not because they are ugly but because I'm always thinking about the scarring effect.

A lot of people report improvements with fillers, but I guess it doesn't work for very deep scars. I wonder if it has to do maybe with the doctor.

Lighting is our enemy. I rarely chin down because I know the monster effect. When lighting really sucks I try to chin up or face the light as much as I can without looking stupid of course to avoid any shadows. At least it makes me feel more confident lol

Jon - read 2 recent topics on this board and see if this sounds like something you wouldn't mind trying.

First topic:

Scars Deepening

Then

NY Times Article about Retinoid and Retinol

There are suggestions in the first topic that range from mild to more intense. Some over the counter and some prescription. If it hadn't been for that first topic, I wouldn't be about to try an over the counter retinol myself.

If you're really afraid of trying anything - try the Glycolic / AHA like I recommended to the person in that first link. It has helped me - albeit extremely slowly. (And I wasn't BAD to begin with - but moderate/mild)

See if you think it might help. At least none of those options are expensive and I don't think you can do serious harm if you follow directions.