Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joepoe

Bit concerned

Basically I went to my doctor yesterday to get prescribed some Zineryt. It's an awesome topical for mild acne, it's a combination of Zinc and Erythomycin. Anyway because i'm using that I can't use anything else, or more I don't want to. Thing is my skin is now really dry and flaky. This started happening before I started the Zineryt actually. I've been using Clean and Clear and the moisturiser from the same brand. Both contain SA which I heard drys up your skin if you're allergic or used in conjunction with something else (I used an anti bacterial wash with the Clean and Clear at one point..). So I think I possibly had a reaction to the SA? Or am I getting withdrawal from not using moisturiser? Is that even possible. The really dry areas are around my cheeks, not really anywhere else. I think it might be getting better, i'm not sure. Do you think it'll pass?

Sorry I am unable to answer your direct questions as I have never heard of Zineryt. I just wanted to comment on how disappointing derms can be. I have lost all faith in them and actually find the information and advice on acne.org to be more beneficial. Self treating and less expensive than a trip to the unsympathetic and eye-rolling derm :rolleyes:

Hello!

If you haven't tried Cetaphil cleansers and moisturizers, I do urge you to try them. They are non-medicated and very gentle and clean exceptionally well.

I particularly like the bar soap I use (it's in my signature). My skin is ever so much less 'tight' when finished washing once I switched to the Cetaphil Antibacterial Bar for sensitive skin. Any of the liquid cleansers would work fine, too, but they do not lather unless one uses a scrubbie to wash with.

Another thing that will help skin not dry out so much and lose its hydration: wash with merely warm or just cool water. Don't use hot water; that strips your skin and dries it out. I wash with warm, rinse with warm, then rinse a final time with cool. I do that in the shower, too, and it's invigorating.

It's better not to use a medicated cleanser when one is also using other prescription medications that can be drying, unless your doctor has told you to use certain cleansers/moisturizers.

That's great thanks guys. I tried what you said. I had to go out for a run just now so it meant obviously I had to have another wash, this time I used cool water and scrubbed away the dead skin with a wash cloth then reapplied the Zineryt, feels much better :)

Oh good! By the way, I just noticed you're in the UK. I don't know if Cetaphil's available there. I do read about a line called "Simple" and it is supposed to be very good and available in the UK. Good for sensitive skin and acne-prone skin. Good luck! :)