Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

(for those of you who wear makeup to cover up acne)

When someone says I'm pretty (not that it happens that often), and insists on it-- I want to shake them. Part of me wants to drag them into the nearest restroom, and have them watch as I wipe all the makeup off my face and say, "NOW DO YOU THINK I'M PRETTY? I DIDN'T THINK SO."

bah.

Currently my face is way too horrid looking to attempt covering anything. But when I do I wonder why I even bother; it almost feels like lying to people. I mean, of course, you can only cover so much; there will always be a few bumps and scars visible. But that's nothing compared to seeing it uncovered in all of its hideous glory.

Yet we still wear makeup, don't we? Anyone else have a boyfriend or love interest who hasn't ever seen your face in its natural state? When I hear him say I'm beautiful, it's more like hearing "Your makeup is beautiful." Which is kind of a disappointing thing to hear.

Not that I'm implying that everyone is completely shallow and repulsed by acne, it's just, gah, it's so tiresome. Wearing a mask each day, wiping the mask off at night. Getting a sudden jolt of self-confidence and deciding to go out without your face on, only to be reminded of just how disagreeable your face is once certain people start staring at you and making snide comments to their friends.

I forgot where I was going this. But yeah. I am not amused.

Make up may cover some flaws, enhance this or that. but it can't make you beautiful. It can't put anything there that isn't there already.

it's easy to be hard on yourself when you have acne, but take the compliment. I can empathize with this; only in the last couple of months has my severe acne began to subside some. but attractiveness is not limited to what sits on the surface of your face-- if someone says you are beautiful, believe them! :comfort:

Make up may cover some flaws, enhance this or that. but it can't make you beautiful. It can't put anything there that isn't there already.

it's easy to be hard on yourself when you have acne, but take the compliment. I can empathize with this; only in the last couple of months has my severe acne began to subside some. but attractiveness is not limited to what sits on the surface of your face-- if someone says you are beautiful, believe them! :comfort:

It depends who says it. I believe it a bit more when it's someone I really know, cos they've probably seen me without my makeup and on my worse days. If it's someone I just met I would also think "hmm what about if I took all my makeup off" but would appreciate the compliment for the effort that I had taken doing my makeup. I agree with Andraste though, and will try to believe compliments like that more if and when I get them.

It usually makes me a little embarrased, but it ultimately makes me feel good. I take pains to make sure my makeup is natural looking. No matter what you might think of yourself or the other person, let positive statements feel good.

Most of my friends and family say they don't even notice my acne, even without makeup.

I have had comments about how beautiful and soft my skin is and have to bite my tongue not to say "if only my face were the same" so as not to draw attention to my face.

Hubby says I'm more beautiful without makeup :wub:

Beauty really does come from within and once you get to know someone who's beautiful on the inside their exterior appearance becomes invisible cause you are seeing the true beauty which is harder to fake.

Andraste explained it very well.

I also might add that if you're going to drag them into the bathroom and show them your bare face, do the same with every other single woman and see how you compare.

The vast majority wear some makeup, because even without acne the standard of beauty is not a very natural one.

I know about the jolt of seeing yourself without makeup though....I think it is because you get so used to yourself with it, and so do others. I've known people with bad skin who don't cover it and they are not shocking to look at, because I've always seen them that way. Getting used to yourself without makeup is hard though. I still won't leave the house without foundation on myself.

And if people make snide comments, then it's probably because they are jealous. If you are pretty, then it makes them feel good to focus on your flaws. If you were no threat, then they wouldn't care.

i have a really hard time with this...... this is stupid, but i once heard tyra banks say someone told her she was simply a "make-up beauty," that without it, she wasn't beautiful at all. it stuck with me. my family tells me i look very different with make-up on. i always took that to mean i was ugly without it, that any compliment i would receive meant exactly what you're talking about... that my make-up was beautiful, not me.

even though i'm clear now, i still have a problem accepting compliments. my boyfriend says i'm beautiful, with or without make-up, but i still pick at my imperfections.... i have unattainable expectations for myself and constantly fall short....

Whatever you think you may be, Medic, a joke isn't one of them. Although, I understand the urge to classify it as a joke when someone tells me that (I used to get teased by schoolmates who would tell me I was pretty only to, days later, squeal in delighted disgust when I unwittingly thought I was part of thier "clique." After awhile, I didn't trust anyone who said I was pretty.)

Unless it has to do with my attire or a picture taken at moderate distance, I never believe anyone who says something good about my looks. I'm not a downer type either, I just think they are blowing hot air. I feel distrustful of whoever says it. Thereafter I will probably be suspicious of things they say. In a way I get pissed off too, as I don't want anyone drawing attention to my looks in their current state. It's a topic best left undiscussed. Even if it's family members or friends, I want to snap at them and tell them to quit lying to my face. As of now I just show indifference to their comments, pretty blatant indifference too to make sure they know it.

After awhile, I didn't trust anyone who said I was pretty.)

(for those of you who wear makeup to cover up acne)

When someone says I'm pretty (not that it happens that often), and insists on it-- I want to shake them. Part of me wants to drag them into the nearest restroom, and have them watch as I wipe all the makeup off my face and say, "NOW DO YOU THINK I'M PRETTY? I DIDN'T THINK SO."

bah.

Currently my face is way too horrid looking to attempt covering anything. But when I do I wonder why I even bother; it almost feels like lying to people. I mean, of course, you can only cover so much; there will always be a few bumps and scars visible. But that's nothing compared to seeing it uncovered in all of its hideous glory.

Yet we still wear makeup, don't we? Anyone else have a boyfriend or love interest who hasn't ever seen your face in its natural state? When I hear him say I'm beautiful, it's more like hearing "Your makeup is beautiful." Which is kind of a disappointing thing to hear.

Not that I'm implying that everyone is completely shallow and repulsed by acne, it's just, gah, it's so tiresome. Wearing a mask each day, wiping the mask off at night. Getting a sudden jolt of self-confidence and deciding to go out without your face on, only to be reminded of just how disagreeable your face is once certain people start staring at you and making snide comments to their friends.

I forgot where I was going this. But yeah. I am not amused.

I also have problems in accept praise from people, particularly people who already know me and like me. Praise coming from these people to me almost do not count, it seems more favors or praise mounted. I do not use make-up, what I am, is what I show, in this aspect of my life is Fucked, but still returns and a half there I hear some praise and feel some eyes...and that in spite of everything that makes me feel good....

I don't wear makeup anymore so I can take compliments a little less angrily,

but when I wore makeup I wondered what the heck, were they blind?

Actaully, I still feel that way. :rolleyes:

meh i don't wear makeup. but i do know if i found the right kind it would definitiely cover up all my pimples and tiny scars. i get compliements even with my acne. and no it's not one or two zits ok? it's basically clogged pores all over my cheeks and brown spots. disgusting. and i'm constantly thinking it's too bad i have pimples i would've have been so beautiful.(not to sound shallow or anything)

thank you for writing down my exact same opinion. when people say i am pretty or whatever i just think 'oh you should have seen me w/o all this foundation. i would have been pretty if my complexion was fine,cause i do have nice features ,not to sound shallow or anything.. but in the end i belive in beauty from the inside out, cause the beauty with all the make up and stash is just temporary, beauty from inside lasts forever.. aaarrrrhhh wish my face was clear so i would'nt have to wear make- up!!! :doh:

Wow, I totally know what you all mean. I don't wear much makeup, sometimes none at all if I'm lazy that morning (seriously, I have to wake up at 5:30 for school and just I do the bare minimum, barely putting any effort into my appearance and just eating a granola bar or something. I bet my growth is stunted.) Anyway, this means when someone compliments me on my appearance--which is really either:

some incredibly misguided comment from my mother, who has the astounding ability to make me feel bad about myself all day ("Gosh, merri, once your skin clears up and you get some better outfits and start wearing makeup and dye your hair lighter and your braces come off and maybe you wax your eyebrows, you'll be completely beautiful! You'll be beating the guys off with a stick!!")

or:

Some random person complementing me on my eyes, which are quite nice, but this of course makes me feel bad about the rest of my face, my body and my hair and such, that the person didn't mention, and I'm sure if they were looking close enough to comment on my eyes they must have noticed how crappy the rest of me looks.

Basically I'm in the same situation as al lot of you; if someone compliments me on my looks I'll be thinking, "why, why, WHY did you have to be a big stupid liar and create such an awkward situation for all parties involved?!? I know you're lying, YOU know you're lying, EVERYONE ELSE knows you're lying, but no one's going to say anything, and look, now I'm blushing, and everyone can see me blushing, thanks a lot, liar. Jeez, you with your perfect skin, you think you're just saving me from my poor self esteem, aren't you, bestowing such nice comment on me, well, you know what, YOU try looking like this and feeling guilty about eating caffeine or sugar or fat and just overall looking like I do while you happily go about your business. Liar. Big, patronizing, perfect-skin LIAR."

Of course, I just mumble "thanks" or something. Yes obviously I might have a few other issues to work through besides the acne thing.

I know that I should accept compliments, and I know that even people with flaws are beautiful, but whenever someone says I look pretty all I can think is, "They're lying."