Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jenstar

using sugar in a mask

I'm thinking of trying raw honey or Manuka honey mixed with sugar as a mask. I understand the sugar acts as an exfoliator. What type of sugar should I use - white, raw, brown, caster - there are so many different kinds of sugar. Can anyone also suggest best type of honey - raw or Manuka (Manuka is very expensive)?

I don't know about sugar, I've only used oats as an exfoliator. Raw honey is awesome. I've only tried Manuka in a soap once...but later found out it had added chemicals so I didn't get the full effect. Manuka is ridiculously expensive but if you can shell it out, I say why not.

Thanks for your response scarlett. I have a few questions. Do you use those tiny small raw oats? I guess this would be gentler than sugar. Manuka is ridiculously expensive and you don't get much in the jar. I have also had troubles deciding what UMF strength to get in the Manuka. I've seen it in 5, 10, 12, 15 and 20.

How much honey and oats would I use? How is it applied and how long would you leave it on for? How many times a week do you suggest for a honey mask and where should it fit in within a regimen? eg. before cleansing or after cleansing and before applying topicals

well i use raw 100% pure honey...(cant afford manuka) but the raw is awesome. i put sugar in it and gently scrub...i would like to try it with the brown sugar but the regular kind is just fine. i must say i luv the result a nice natural gentle way to exfoliate. try it asap!

well i use raw 100% pure honey...(cant afford manuka) but the raw is awesome. i put sugar in it and gently scrub...i would like to try it with the brown sugar but the regular kind is just fine. i must say i luv the result a nice natural gentle way to exfoliate. try it asap!

I suggest using small grain, granular sugar. The unprocessed ones can be quite jagged on the skin :mad: .

You don't have to use white sugar if you don't wish. You can purchase organic/ minimally processed sugar and crush them to a consistency you like.

I use organic minimally processed sugar. Almost like light brown sugar. It is very large grained, but I just rinse it off, no scrubbing.

Thanks for your response scarlett. I have a few questions. Do you use those tiny small raw oats? I guess this would be gentler than sugar. Manuka is ridiculously expensive and you don't get much in the jar. I have also had troubles deciding what UMF strength to get in the Manuka. I've seen it in 5, 10, 12, 15 and 20.

How much honey and oats would I use? How is it applied and how long would you leave it on for? How many times a week do you suggest for a honey mask and where should it fit in within a regimen? eg. before cleansing or after cleansing and before applying topicals

Thanks for all your help guys. I had made a few other posts about this but never got the replies I was looking for so I gave up on the honey mask idea. I guess I was posting in the wrong forum. Will let you know how I go with it.

I bought a 500g jar of organic raw honey from the health food store today for AUS$6.99. I am trying it tonight on its own as a mask. Next time I will try mixing it with raw oats.

Well I tried the raw honey as a mask on its own. I used 2 tablespoons which was way too much. It was all sticky, a bit itchy and literally dripping off my face. Hubby thought I was mad. Kept it on for 15-20 minutes and rinsed off with warm water and pat dried with a towel. 10 minutes later my face feels super smooth and soft. A very interesting experiment. I look forward to trying it with raw oats and another time with sugar to see what I like best.

Thanks jujilover. How many times a week do you suggest for a honey mask and where should it fit in within a regimen? eg. before cleansing or after cleansing and before applying topicals

Hi, I see no one has posted on this blog for quite some time, but I wanted to mention that I use white organic sugar as an exfoliator and it is the best! I haven't found any better results than using white sugar. My sister has tried brown sugar, and I used white sugar, and she has since switched because she finds that brown sugar doesn't exfoliate as good as white because it is more moist to begin with. I put some white sugar in a small tupperware container and put it in my shower. In the morning, just before I get out of the shower, I allow the hot water from the shower head to run across my face for a while. Then, I put some sugar on my face and gently scrub in tiny circles all over my face to exfoliate any dead skin cells. Then, I use my cleanser (neutrogena gentle makeup and oil remover) to wipe away residue. After that, I rinse my face again with hot water for a minute or so. Then, just before I get out of the shower, I turn off the shower head and allow cold water to run from the faucet and I rinse my face about ten times with the cold water so that it closes my pores. I then pat my face dry and apply witch hazel as a toner and my neutrogena sensitive skin spf 15 moisturizer. Since I have been using white sugar as an exfoliant, I have less break outs and my skin has a healthy glow. I love it! It is definitely worth a try. You can tell a difference in your skin just after one use. It makes your skin much smoother and brighter. Check it out!