Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tasha90

Getting a cold

It started with a sore throat a few days ago, but now I have a lot of buildup mucus and I'm coughing incessantly. I have to go to school today, but luckily I have the next 4 days off. I'll be in bed, trying to get better, but is there anything good I can eat that will help?

Zinc also. May help shorten duration of cold symptoms. There are specific Zinc cold remedies out there.

Second the chicken broth, but chicken soup is even better as it seems to retain its heat longer. Hot herbal tea with a tad of honey (caffeine free tea).

Whenever I feel my throat is itchy or like I might be coming down with a cold I always go for my trusty 100% pure unsweetened cranberry juice. I get mine from Trader Joe's. It's sour/bitter if you've never had it before, so you might want to start with just a taste to see how it goes down, but I've gotten used to it (some of the tartness goes down if the juice is cold). Whenever I feel like I might be coming down with something I drink 16oz of it (8oz two times a day) for a couple of days and the throat itchiness goes away. I don't know if it's the cranberry juice or a combination of the supplements I take that have strengthened my immune system, but I haven't been sick in 2 years! I started drinking the stuff the last time I was sick and I noticed it "cleans" the mouth if you swish a bit of it around like a mouthwash. I don't know if it binds with the mucus or what, but when you spit it's a globby mess and your mouth doesn't feel so nasty and sticky anymore. Since then it's been my go to remedy :dance:

try to regularly supplement with zinc. It keeps your immune system strong and makes the colds less intense.

Thanks guys! (though I don't know about the chicken broth just yet :), still working my way up to eating meat) I'm finally home from school and I think I'm just going to go to bed. I took zinc twice yesterday, and will get some Vitamin C and D in my system, and the cranberry juice sounds like a good idea. I've just had some pureed spinach soup my mom made and then I ate 3 cloves of garlic...it's weird because the garlic has made my throat feel much better...anyway off to bed with me

Megadose vitamin D for a few days.

And perhaps a bit of vitamin C.

And chicken broth. :)

I don't speak from personal experience as I don't get colds or flu, but the body needs a lot of vitamin C when sick or injured. You might try getting some Emerg-C which contains 1000mgs of C plus zinc, all the electrolytes and other nutrients per drink mix.

During the course of a cold, you can safely consume up to 75+ grams of Vitamin C. I don't suggest that much, but maybe about 3 grams would be good.

There seems to be alot of studies!

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss06/cold.html

Vitamin C and the Common Cold

The debate about the value of vitamin C in preventing and treating the common cold has raged for over three decades following the publication in 1970 of Vitamin C and the Common Cold by Linus Pauling. After Pauling was alerted by Irwin Stone in 1965 to the possible value of high-dose vitamin C in preventing colds, he and his wife began to routinely take several grams per day. Pauling had been troubled for many years by severe colds that interfered with his work, and he was pleased to find that the vitamin C supplements greatly decreased the number of colds he caught. He reviewed the clinical literature, then consisting of about four trials that used at least one gram of vitamin C per day, and published his book, expecting that the news that a safe and cheap substance could provide a simple way of preventing and ameliorating colds would be embraced by the medical community and the public. The medical community was generally skeptical or disdainful, but the public responded. Interest in the use of vitamin C for colds expanded, and 21 clinical studies using at least one gram of vitamin C per day were published between 1971 and 1994. These studies were reviewed by Dr. Harri Hemila in 1994. He found that vitamin C supplements reduced the duration of colds by about 23% and ameliorated symptoms, although there was no consistent effect on incidence.

In 2004, Dr. Hemila and colleagues again reviewed the relevant studies for The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. To study the prevention of colds by vitamin C, they pooled and analyzed the results of 29 trials involving more than 11,000 subjects. With the exception of six trials with over 600 runners, skiers, or soldiers, no preventive effect was found for vitamin C. In those six subgroups, the incidence of colds was halved. Thirty studies were examined that addressed the effect of vitamin C on the duration of colds. In these studies, there was a consistent benefit, with a reduction in duration of 8% to 14%. Fifteen trials assessed the effect of vitamin C on symptoms, which were significantly ameliorated by vitamin C.

A Japanese study on vitamin C and colds was published in 2006 in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. This study was a five-year, randomized, double-blind (but not placebo-controlled) trial designed to evaluate the effect of a daily dose of 50 mg or 500 mg of vitamin C on the development of gastric cancer among 244 subjects. (The 50-mg dose of vitamin C served as a quasi-placebo.) The researchers evaluated the effects of the vitamin C supplements on the common cold at the completion of the study. The risk of contracting three or more colds in the five-year period was decreased by 66% by the daily intake of the 500-mg vitamin C supplement. There was little difference in severity or duration of colds between subjects in the low-dose or high-dose groups. This study deserves special mention because it was much longer (five years) than the trials reported by Hemila and covered many cold seasons in which subjects were probably exposed repeatedly to many cold viruses.

Ive catched a damn cold too... on vacation. Damn hard blowing airco in the Spanish shops & clubs...

What Ive used is lots of herbal tea and vit c, but it doesnt help really... I think youve just gotta sit it out :/

Megadose vitamin D for a few days.

And perhaps a bit of vitamin C.

And chicken broth. :)

I don't speak from personal experience as I don't get colds or flu, but the body needs a lot of vitamin C when sick or injured. You might try getting some Emerg-C which contains 1000mgs of C plus zinc, all the electrolytes and other nutrients per drink mix.

Emergen-C has to much sugar. Like 10 g of fructose per bag or something like that. I just buy Ascorbic acid powder from the pharmacy and measure it myself. Cheaper and no fructose.

Right!

I am going to buy some pure vitamin c. powder...from jarrows..all pure vitamin c. powder..

Hey,glenhart,do you know where online I can buy other pure powdered vitamins, like niacinamide...or vitamin e. dry powder?

or anyone?

Thanks