Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I think I may have finally figured out what is causing my acne. Candida.

Allow me to explain.

First off, I have been on antibiotics for extended periods during my teens for my usual teen acne. Also, I used to eat alot of sugar and junk food back then. I basically lived off of white bread, cheese sandwhiches and chocolate granola bars. Now, at 22 it has not improved one bit. Two courses of accutane have accomplished nothing. Acne returned each time. My diet is very healthy now a days, and has been for the last 2 or 3 years, yet no change in acne. Fish oil and accutane are the only things that have had any effect on my skin. Anyway, I thought I was allergic to foods and have tried going gluten and milk free. No effect. I had mild improvement, but it was probably due to the decreased calorie intake. When I was in the hospital for a broken leg, I hardly ate since I was so doped up on painkillers that I lost my appetite. My skin miracularsly cleared then. That was the only time it was clear, except for a few months after accutane. I also have a VERY white tongue. I never even realised it until I read the symptoms on a candida website. I checked the rest of my family's tongues and they have a normal pink tongue. I also have some other possible symptoms such as brain fog, depression and a little toenail fungus. But those symptoms carry little weight, since a million things can cause those symptoms.

Finally, the biggest piece of evidence was the extreme die off effect I had when I added homemade kefir to my diet. I added some body ecology kefir starter to some SOY milk, let it ferment for a day or so and blended it with some kale and flax seed (not too much flax seed). CAUTION: THIS MIGHT GET A LITTLE GRAPHIC. Later that day, I was a little gassier then usual, no big deal. I drank probably 3 small dixie cups of the stuff everyday. Since starting, I was waking up everyday feeling sick and either spent a half hour in the bathroom either puking or crapping. I felt like crap for the next few days, and couldn't stop feeling the need to crap or puke, even though I wasn't eating much (since I felt miserable). I know there is a possible adjustment period when taking probiotics, but before this I had been consuming commercial yogurt everyday. My best guess is that there isn't much probiotic value in commercial yogurt and I wasn't consuming nearly as much compared to the kefir. I know it wasn't the milk since I often drink soy milk with no problems. I know it wasn't the flax since I only added a little (4 tablespoons in an entire blender of smoothie and it would take at least 2 or 3 days to finish a blender full). I have also recently gotten a hold of some real kefir grains. I added them to some fresh, unpasteurized milk. I had a similar reaction. I decided to reduce the amount I was drinking and my symptoms got better.

Anyway, what would cause me to get THAT sick. Probiotics might have some adjustment period for those who don't consume them on a regular basis. But like I said, I eat yogurt everyday. Usually, kefir is reported to settle the stomach and ease bowel problems. Not the case for me. Also note, this happened with both the real kefir grains and the artifical starter culture. To me, this sounds like a die off. I feel better now since I have eased up a bit, but wont quit since kefir is supposed to be really really healthy for you. Anyway, what is your guys take on the situation?

That can happen. When yeast get attacked or threatened, they release toxins as a defense mechanism, in an attempt to kill of whatever bacteria are attacking it. If you had enough candida in there, that could be a whole lot of toxins being pumped into your digestive tract at a time. There are anti candida products that use enzymes that kill the candida without causing the yeasts to give off toxins. I'd look into that, and then after doing that, then add the kefir, and the healthy bacteria should have a competition-free new home. :)

Here's the thing, I have already tried the enzymes (candex) and some bitter herb supplements. The enzymes didn't do anything. The bitter herb supplements, I think I got a slight die off, but nowhere near as extreme. I didn't think anything of it, just thought I was a little under the weather. There are other possible explanations. Could there be oligosaccharides in kale? Perhaps the kale is like superfuel for the probiotics. Perhaps there is too much fermentation going on in my GI tract? GROSS ALERT: The kefir doesn't give me diarrhea, but semisolid stools. Also, I noticed slight bubbles emanating from it, indicating a large deal of bacteria or yeast in it still alive and fermenting. Also, if I did have candida, it would be pretty serious. I've been suffering like this for years, and as I said even my tongue is white.

Have you tried oregano oil? It's like the top gun against candida, nothing survives that stuff! Don't take too much though, it's super potent, start with like 2 drops in an empty capsule once a day, and increase it by maybe one drop every few days. You probably won't need more than 5 drops a day. When I started taking it, I started with 5 drops, and it made me throw up, but then after that I was fine, but I definitely had a die off! All foggy headed for about 2 days and then it all cleared up, I had way more energy, my skin was clearer, it really helped. You don't need to do that for more than a month. The cool thing about oregano oil is that it goes everywhere in your body, if you have an infection anywhere in your system at all, this stuff will start working on it, it's really amazing. I actually tried putting a tiny smear on my toothbrush, and my mouth has never been that clean ever, it was so potent! Your tongue won't be white anymore if you do that! It has a really strong taste though, it burns if you put the drops directly in your mouth, that's why you need to put it in an empty capsule when you're taking it. After you finish your round with oregano oil for a few weeks, definitely take a probiotic to replace any healthy bacteria that were lost in your digestive tract.

Some companies tried to isolate the antibiotic in oregano to they could patent it and make it into an expensive drug, but after a lot of work and research the realized it was the combination of compounds in oregano that made it work, and you can't patent a natural combination, so they abandoned it.

Lilivg- I will look into it. I had pills with all sorts of extract in them, I think oregano oil was one of them. Anyway, I am pretty familiar with all the candida fighting herbs. I have some grapefruit seed extract. Anyway, when I started taking the pills I think I had a mild die off. But the effects tapered off and I only got mildly clearer. Anyway, I was mostly concerned about the correct diagnosis of candida, or if anyone has any experience in successfully fighting it.

Bled Zeppelin - I don't even know where to begin. The traditional method of "starving" off the candida is probably the most innefecient and ineffective method I have ever heard. Sure, you got to cut off excess sugar. But guess what, the second you consume a little bit of sugar the candida grows back and reproduces. You basically need to maintain the perfect diet for months while the candida slowly dies off. And all you can eat is basically meat and some leafy greens. That is not only impossible in the real world, even if it were possible it would be the most miserable existance ever. All the candida diets I have ever seen would cause most people to starve and lose alot of weight.

Anyway, don't buy all the antimilk propoganda and think for yourself. I agree, pasteurized milk is generally bad for your health. But like I said, I used soy milk, and farm fresh unpasteurized milk. Probiotics are probably one of the reasons so many indigenous cultures live so long and healthy. Pretty much every culture has their own version. Kefir, since it is fermented actually has very little sugar and the protein is much safer than regular milk protein since it is partially digested by the bacteria. The bacteria provide extra enzymes, and also produce antimicrobial peptides which kill off bad pathogens. They also crowd candida out of the gut by taking up the space instead. All the studies which show milk is bad is based on pasteurized milk. Raw buttermilk is quite the opposite. Raw milk still has enzymes, bacteria and more nutrients. I can go on and on and on about why fermented products, including milk would actually be beneficial for people with acne, especially candida. I can find you some citations from scientific publications if you really want. Pasteurized lowfat milk is bad for acne since without the bacteria, you can't breakdown the lactose. The lowfat also makes it absorb faster causing the GI spike. And the extra hormones are bad too, but those weren't found in the raw milk I bought. Most cultures actually prescribe fermented milk products to treat acne both internally and topically.

Bled Zeppelin, inform yourself more before you start making stupid claims.

Kefir is definitely healthy, but I don't know whether it's such a good idea to eat it while you have candida.

Zeppelin is informed. He/ she is just a jerk off, that's all.

I recommend the Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates. Great read with some great hope attached. You can cleanse and you can heal. You can one day eat and drink these foods that the candida thrives off of.

Zeppelin is informed. He/ she is just a jerk off, that's all.

I recommend the Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates. Great read with some great hope attached. You can cleanse and you can heal. You can one day eat and drink these foods that the candida thrives off of.

6 weeks eh? This all depends on how intensely you have cleansed and maintained a healthy diet. I recommend a colon, bowel, and liver flush while attempting to heal. Once I get some FREAKING MONEY I'll buy the kits (which contain the different herbs and everything necessary to cleanse).

I feel for you, because I was you. It took me at least a year, but I am pretty much candida free. This is what I did.

1. Oregano Oil: It is the only thing that really works. I tried going on radical diets with no sugar, no carbs, no anything. It didn't work. Don't bother, but don't OD on sugar and stay away from processed foods (forever) and cheeses (initially). I took a lot of oregano oil. I would do 5 drops after every meal and then some. This is a bad idea. It is too strong and like a cleanse. I didn't have bowel problems with it, but still, in retrospect it wasn't smart. I did that for at least six months. Now, I just take 3-5 drops a day and it's fine.

2. Garlic pills I took at least 3 a day. Again, I overdid it, but I was desperate. They kill candida. I don't even take them anymore, but I think they really helped.

3. Kefir It's amazing for candida, much better than yogurt. Drink it on an empty stomach. I don't make it myself, I buy it. I'm too afraid of botulism or some shish to make it myself, besides, it would probably taste like shish. ;)

4. Probiotics I took Primal defense. I don't take it anymore, but I think I went too far with that too at one point. Any decent probiotic will do PD is super expensive.

5. Vitamin C and Zinc Both good at killing bacteria and zinc is especially good for killing mold and parasites. C is good for your immunity and that extends to your gut. Be careful with the zinc no more than 50 mg. a day.

6. Grapefruit seed Known to kill candida.

Good luck and don't overdo it like I did or you'll feel like a zombie from the die off. It made me fuzzy in the head. :crazy2:

I'm going to try it on my toothbrush...I've never heard that before!

I had chronic candida which lasted for about a year. Turns out the pill gave it to me. I worked with a natural therapist and doctor and it took me a while to fix it, but this was almost 10 years ago now and I've never had the problem again. I've never touched the pill again though either. Mine was in the form of vaginal thrush though so treatment may be slightly different! This is what I did:

1) Completely remove all yeast, sugar and alcohol from my diet for 1 month.

2) Used an over the counter vaginal thrush cream (I think from memory I used 2 or 3 in a row)

3) My doctor gave me some tablet, I have no idea what it was but she gave me enough to take for the whole month.

I also ended up with crystal clear skin.

I say go and get some professional help. I also drank cows milk all the way through and it didn't affect my candida or my skin at all.

I've been reading up on candida and other fungus/bacteria that thrive given the right conditions. I've tried various supplements/diet restrictions with little to no improvement (I could be a bit impatient but you start to lose hope when things don't show any gradual improvement). I actually started experimenting with probiotics (Kefir and some capsules) and am seeing more improvement in my skin than with any other supplements. It's happening very slowly but I do see improvements that just weren't happening with anything else.

I may be reaching here, but I think improper digestion has caused all my chronic skin conditions (acne, dandruff, dermatitis, allergies). I also believe that things could be worse for me if I didn't work out religiously like I have (and continue to) over the years.

I did the whole B5 megadosing thing which cleared the majority of my acne (have since stopped and acne came back full force) but I still had dermatitis, dandruff, allergies, and breakouts on my thighs and occasionally my scalp. So far, the probiotics seem to be having a very mild but noticable effect on ALL of my ailments. It's still too early but I'm going to continue and see where this leads.

*Forgot to add that I've noticed some memory problems as well (short term). I'll forget things like what happened in movies I've recently watched (within the last few months) or even seeing the movie at all which my friends remind me of. Sometimes I'm generally just absent minded, but that could be stress related also I guess...

does anybody reallly think a candida problem(in the digestive system) could be a large contributing factor in acne?

I've been reading up on candida and other fungus/bacteria that thrive given the right conditions. I've tried various supplements/diet restrictions with little to no improvement (I could be a bit impatient but you start to lose hope when things don't show any gradual improvement). I actually started experimenting with probiotics (Kefir and some capsules) and am seeing more improvement in my skin than with any other supplements. It's happening very slowly but I do see improvements that just weren't happening with anything else.

I may be reaching here, but I think improper digestion has caused all my chronic skin conditions (acne, dandruff, dermatitis, allergies). I also believe that things could be worse for me if I didn't work out religiously like I have (and continue to) over the years.

I did the whole B5 megadosing thing which cleared the majority of my acne (have since stopped and acne came back full force) but I still had dermatitis, dandruff, allergies, and breakouts on my thighs and occasionally my scalp. So far, the probiotics seem to be having a very mild but noticable effect on ALL of my ailments. It's still too early but I'm going to continue and see where this leads.

*Forgot to add that I've noticed some memory problems as well (short term). I'll forget things like what happened in movies I've recently watched (within the last few months) or even seeing the movie at all which my friends remind me of. Sometimes I'm generally just absent minded, but that could be stress related also I guess...

It is certainly the general consensus. Holistic medicine believe that acne is a symptom of some sort of imbalance or nutritional deficiency in the body. A normal healthy person won't have acne, except maybe in their teens when their hormones naturally fluctuate. But adult acne is not normal. Most holistic and traditional methods of treating acne focus around proper digestion and/or liver support. I don't have any oregano oil, though I might go purchase some. I do however have some grapefruit seed extract pills. I took a few a day on its own and don't remember any effects negative or positive. After reading a bunch of websites and posts, it seems that consuming live probiotics on a regular basis seems to be the most important thing. It may take a while to treat, especially if the fungus has had years to establish itself.

I do have several issues with the typical ways of treating candida. Most sites recommend a "kill off" phase. this phase usually involves intense dieting, the consuming of bitter herbs, and no probiotics. The belief is that you got to kill the bad before adding the good. The thing is bitter herbs also kill the good bacteria in your gut at the same time since the herbs aren't exactly smart bombs. So I would imagine it would be important to get probiotics right from the get go in order to repopulate the gut as fast as you can after the "bombing." To prevent the nasties from repopulating the empty space. It is also important to get probiotics in food form and not supplements. Probiotic pills are expensive and not nearly as effective as food. In pill form, they are usually just dried up powder and the bacteria are still in a dormant stage. When in food they are very much alive, plus the food portion also protects the bacteria from being destroyed in the stomach.

Kefir is generally considered the best since it contains the greatest variety of probiotic bacteria and contains beneficial yeasts which yogurt doesn't have. The idea is that each strain might have its own benefit for the system and the more types of bacteria you are consuming, the more potential for synergism. I personally believe home made is the way to go since its so easy, cost effective and you have much more control over the final product and it is bound to be way more potent than anything store bought. But thats my personal opinion, for some people there may be nothing wrong with store bought yogurt and kefir. For all I know, it may be just as effective since I can't speak from a personal successful experience.

P.S. I am also seeing a naturopath in February. Hopefully I will get a (semi)professional diagnosis.

Xylitol is another things that's supposed to help kill candida. Because it so closely resembles sugar, the yeast is attracted to it, but because it NOT sugar, the yeast dies of starvation/indigestion. And xylitol is yummy, so that's good :)

What do you all think about the relation of liver cleansing to candidiasis? Why do many get such great results after flushing? Usually their symptoms closely resemble those of a candida albicans sufferer. Might repetitive cleansing result in the removal of a candida overgrowth? Just speculating.

We can only speculate as to why liver flushing may be of benefit. Perhaps that sudden release of bile is enough to wash out some of the candida, thus improving symptoms. Perhaps it removes gallstones. Perhaps it stimulates glutathione production and increases the livers ability to remove toxins. One possibility is that the candida is producing and releasing toxins into the system, and by "cleansing" the liver it is able to more efficiently clear them. While liver flushes seem to help many, I don't know how many people "Cure" themselves of whatever problem they originally suffer. It seems like people perform them over and over and over again expecting them to cure their disease. While they may be a helpful tool in treating acne, I tend to doubt that liver flushing could completely remove candida. But then again, who really knows right?

Jemini, If you take one bit of advice from this thread its this, you have TO CUT OFF the candida's food supply FOR LIFE because if you keep feeding it, youv'e got it for life, it will never go away. I'm a an ex candida sufferer myself, my doctor tells me 98% of people are cured who follow this to a T. Don't "limit" the foods that feed it, don't maintain the perfect diet for months while the candida slowly dies off, it will NEVER die offyou need to EXPELL them foods for life, its as simple as that. I know, life sucks, that is the way it is. Candida can be cured very easily by cutting off its food supply. So in 2 or 3, 10, 40 years when your probably still consuming the "fresh, healthy milks" (Yeah right) & them lovely yeasts in kefir & still battling candida at 60 years, go back to this thread and remember the first rule of cure, cut off its food supply & let it die. Forget liver flushes, don't work, supplements, don't work, drugs, don't work, done that, been there. Its like, why have 400 acne cleasing products???... None work, lol...

And don't keep going on about bloody " healthy" milks (Soya, Rice etc) :D , jesus, you may as well pick up a red felt tip pen & draw spots on your face if your gonna consume that stuff.

does anybody reallly think a candida problem(in the digestive system) could be a large contributing factor in acne?

Jemini, If you take one bit of advice from this thread its this, you have TO CUT OFF the candida's food supply FOR LIFE because if you keep feeding it, youv'e got it for life, it will never go away. I'm a an ex candida sufferer myself, my doctor tells me 98% of people are cured who follow this to a T. Don't "limit" the foods that feed it, don't maintain the perfect diet for months while the candida slowly dies off, it will NEVER die offyou need to EXPELL them foods for life, its as simple as that. I know, life sucks, that is the way it is. Candida can be cured very easily by cutting off its food supply. So in 2 or 3, 10, 40 years when your probably still consuming the "fresh, healthy milks" (Yeah right) & them lovely yeasts in kefir & still battling candida at 60 years, go back to this thread and remember the first rule of cure, cut off its food supply & let it die. Forget liver flushes, don't work, supplements, don't work, drugs, don't work, done that, been there. Its like, why have 400 acne cleasing products???... None work, lol...

And don't keep going on about bloody " healthy" milks (Soya, Rice etc) :D , jesus, you may as well pick up a red felt tip pen & draw spots on your face if your gonna consume that stuff.

No $hit bchapais...

Man Bled Zeppelin I'm new here but I do think you are a bit of a nasty smart mouth. I thought these forums were for people to offer suggestions and advice, not wise comments. I know you must have a lot of faith in YOUR dr. to believe what he says to be absolutely true, but some things may work better for other people. Our bodies are all different in case you forgot. I happy that your candida free and all clear but some of us are trying what we think will work for us and and eliminate what we think are our triggers.