Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lyha

Reactions to Retin-A

So that's been speeding up my healing. I think. I don't really know for sure because I haven't left ANY alone. The strange thing is, these things will develop fairly rapidly. I'll wash my face in the morning and notice nothing on my cheek, but by 10am, I'll feel a little bump! By 1, I can generally extract something and the next day (sometime during the day), it's gone.

(Day 36)

Dear Skin:

Greetings. I wanted to comment that it seems that you have stopped with the acne, so kudos to that. But the dry skin - is that really necessary? Especially now that the acne's stopped and the little hyper-pigmentation spots are fading nicely? Please realize that I will keep moisturizing you as long as you insist on being dry to the point of peeling. So desist with the drying action or absorb the moisturizer.

Sincerely,

Me

Irin: I'm glad you're enjoying my log. I hope it helps you in your treatment - if in nothing else than what to expect. :)

(Day 36)

Dear Skin:

Greetings. I wanted to comment that it seems that you have stopped with the acne, so kudos to that. But the dry skin - is that really necessary? Especially now that the acne's stopped and the little hyper-pigmentation spots are fading nicely? Please realize that I will keep moisturizing you as long as you insist on being dry to the point of peeling. So desist with the drying action or absorb the moisturizer.

Sincerely,

Me

Day 38:

I finally stopped being a lazy bum and applied a Vitamin-C scrub thing to my face this morning. It successfully washed off all of the peeling skin, and now my skin is simply Flawless*!

I haven't gotten any new acne and everything that's already done and over with is healing along nicely. I can't iterate enough how awesome my results with Retin-A are. My skin is almost clear (out, out damn spot!), and I look way healthy. I'm very pleased with my treatment so far :).

* If you overlook the micro hyperpigmentation spots.

Lyha - your log is my favorite thing on the org right now! :lol: You are a very gifted writer, keep posting :D

Day 40:

It's been fourty, 40, four-ty! days since I've started treatment and dermatologically, I feel great. Part of the reason is that it doesn't feel like it's been 40 days since my first venture to the dermatologist's office. I guess time flies when you see your skin get progressively better.

Sure, I discovered 2 or 3 new acne formations, but it's not that big of a deal to me anymore because I know that the Retin-A treatment is going to speed up the healing process. Besides, I still have 2 more days before my "initial breakout" period is supposed to end. I suspect that my tolerance level is going to drop sharply after 2 days if I get more blemishes. ;)

The first two or three weeks where my skin was peeling in bucketloads? Yeah, that was uncomfortable - but that's passed and I doubt anyone really remembers that. Then my skin started getting better. I think that the "blushed and peeling" phase of the treatment was more horrifying for me than the actual breaking out. But thats all in the past, so I'm going to live in the present. :)

Currently, my skin is still clearing up, although I do have those 2-3 newly started healing acne blemishes on my left cheek. Not a big deal, since they don't stay long and my skin is getting better at healing these things. Sometimes when I wash my face, I'm startled at how ROUGH my skin feels, but that's more the dry skin than my skin changing textures. I still carry my moisturizer around with me where-ever I go, but I don't use it as often anymore - another sign that my skin is coming to terms with 1) the cold and 2) the treatment.

2008 is a year of change and I'm happy to be able to check off "clear skin".

PS: I'm so going to post tomorrow that my skin, starting with my left cheek, is putting on a revolution against Retin-A. :P

Ayla: Thanks! I'm really pleased that everyone has been enjoying my log. :)

Day 30:

The little insert in the Retin-A treatment mentioned that between weeks 3-6, users may see an influx of new blemishes. Yeah... Complete understatement. (Kinda like "some users may see their skin take on a blush" - which translated on me as "holy crap, how did you get sunburned in the face - in winter?!")

Yeah, so about that "new blemishes" thing... I was expecting 2 or 3, or even 4 new blemishes. I wasn't expecting, at the end of the day, to count nine (N-I-N-E) new blemishes! Wow.

And while I'm ok with that (only in theory, not really in actuality), I'm also not exactly leaving them alone. I've been using the little extractor tool to push/press out whatever it is that's been blocked.

So that's been speeding up my healing. I think. I don't really know for sure because I haven't left ANY alone. The strange thing is, these things will develop fairly rapidly. I'll wash my face in the morning and notice nothing on my cheek, but by 10am, I'll feel a little bump! By 1, I can generally extract something and the next day (sometime during the day), it's gone.

So I should expect another 2-3 weeks of this?

Yeah, I'm not exactly cheering. But nothing is forever.

Especially when I have a neat-o extractor tool.

Day 40, addendum:

I'm aware at this point that my reactions are not exactly "normal". My dermatologist stated that I should start seeing results, positive results, between 6-8 weeks and it may take as long as 12 weeks, if not more. And that there was nothing I could do to speed up the healing or treatment process - it just takes TIME and I should be patient. I was HOPING to see positive results at 6 weeks, but I wasn't really counting on it.

So I was really pleased and surprised to see results as rapidly as I have been. I'm no where near done with my treatment, but I am seeing positive steps in the right direction. In the direction that we are all here for - effortlessly clear skin. And Retin-A is as effortless as it gets: Wash Face. Wait 20-30 Minutes. Apply Retin-A. Sleep.

I also have to admit that I haven't been following the treatment plan prescribed by my dermatologist. She prescribed for me tetracycline antibiotics twice a day, Clindamycin lotion twice a day and Retin-A daily. The only thing I stuck with was Retin-A.

The tetracycline had to be taken on an empty stomach: 1 hour before eating or 2 hours after eating. I lasted on tetracycline for about 3 weeks before just dropping it. I want clear skin and all, but 2 three-hour blocks where I can't eat anything? That's brutal.

The Clindamycin lotion is supposed to be applied twice a day. I usually manage 1 application per day, usually after I wash off the Retin-A in the morning. I have no real objections to following this one closely (like with the tetracycline where it messed with my eating habits), except I never found time to apply it the second time. I tried to take it to work and apply a bit during lunch, but most of the time, it sat forgotten in my purse.

So I don't know why, even with not really following my treatment plan, I'm seeing positive results so early. I can spectulate on a few reasons though:

First, I didn't have bad acne to begin with. I had itty bitty acne in my teenage years, but nothing really major. I went to see a dermatologist at the first sign of adult acne. I never gave the acne a chance to "take hold", so to speak. Even with adult acne, I would get 1-2 blemishes a month. Nothing really major - it was just enough of an annoyance for me to address it. It wasn't making me socially anxious.

Second, I exercise habitually. Like 3-4 times a week. I know that studies have shown exercise and acne to be inconclusive, but exercising calms me down. I don't stress anymore. And I think they have linked stress to acne. I work out all my stress and leave the gym a calmer, happier person. Besides, exercising 3-4 times a week allows me to keep up my all day snacking habit without fear of losing my shape.

Third, I eat healthy. I'm a big fan of salads, steamed veggies and even raw veggies. I snack on healthy foods: granola, yogurt, nuts and such. I also drink a ton of water. I go for a balanced diet. I've never avoided chocolate (except for the 6 months where I was protesting child slave labor - do a google search) for fear of acne. It's all about moderation.

Again, I don't know how large or little of a role these factors play into getting clear skin, but these are the things that came to mind. Or, you know, I've got superior super-tolerant skin - like I said on day 1*.

*See first post :)

Day 44:

So my skin. It's still there - quite the same, and really complaining that I'm soooo mean to it by applying Retin-A and not loving it enough because it's cold. It's February. And I do not live in the tropics. (To my skin, I say to just deal with it!)

I'm not sure if my skin is reacting to the peeling and irritation by sort of breaking out or if I'm just not done with the initial breakout period. I should scrub my skin more often or exfoliate it, but I'm a lazy bum sometimes and the whole five extra minutes will take for-freaking-ever, I'm sure. My skin is still pretty well, although it is peeling a bit in some areas.

I'm sure it'll get better eventually, and I'm not as anxious. I've seem positive changes, Good changes, and I'm sure the details will get ironed out in their own time.

Day 44:

So my skin. It's still there - quite the same, and really complaining that I'm soooo mean to it by applying Retin-A and not loving it enough because it's cold. It's February. And I do not live in the tropics. (To my skin, I say to just deal with it!)

I'm not sure if my skin is reacting to the peeling and irritation by sort of breaking out or if I'm just not done with the initial breakout period. I should scrub my skin more often or exfoliate it, but I'm a lazy bum sometimes and the whole five extra minutes will take for-freaking-ever, I'm sure. My skin is still pretty well, although it is peeling a bit in some areas.

I'm sure it'll get better eventually, and I'm not as anxious. I've seem positive changes, Good changes, and I'm sure the details will get ironed out in their own time.

Day 49:

My skin has plateaued in terms of getting better. It's gotten a LOT better, and I'm no longer getting acne rapidly. (The Initial Breakout? Officially over.... I think and hope.) I think it is now 1 every 2 weeks, maybe? But its TINY, itty bitty - the kind that I have to get all up into the mirror to see. So over all, my skin is "clear", but it can stand to be clearer. I'm just sayin'.

It's midnight. I have to get up at 6 for work. I'll finish the rest of the log in the morning.

Day 55:

So what can I say about my skin? I'll have to fess up front: I haven't been following the regimen exactly to the letter. That is, I've been cheating on the Retin-A by applying it every other day. I haven't noticed an appearance of new acne, so I'm going to stay on this holding pattern until my skin goes to hell in a handbasket. I've made this change because 1)I'm sure my dermatologist would recommend the same if I could get a hold of her, 2) I skipped one night because I was too tired to get back up to apply it and I didn't notice any adverse effects.

My skin continues to improve. The little red spots from previous acne are almost all gone - althought if I get up into the mirror, I can still pick them out. I've noticed that my skin looks translucent at times, but always fresh.

I'm no longer "blushed" from applying the Retin-A, nor does it sting. I still have NO idea what that's all about, but I'm not worried about it.

All in all, I'm really loving my results from the Retin-A treatment.

i've been on retin-a since i was nine year's old , unfortunatly all you people going to a dermatologist looking for answer's too the redness, swelling, peeling, ect are all waisting your time . progressivly it will get worse , this medication does not leave you with glowing skin it's made just to heal acne. however with all the years i've been on it i've learned how to deal to make my skin feel great. use clean & clear, or phisoderm facial wash in the shower . those help reduce the dryness/ leathery feeling your skin probably get's after it's been washed off . before getting ready/ going to bed use olay complete moisturizer or most perferably Jergens Ultra Healing for dry skin, leave it on for about 2 minutes then with a wash cloth wipe it off. this will completely get rif of the peeling. getting rid of reddness with retin-a is almost impossible. it does not help your overall skin look good . your best choice is useing a light concealer or foundation