Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys. Like so many of you I've struggled with acne for years. I'm currently on low-dose Accutane for it and I hope my skin will be nice and smooth soon. You can read my story in my 'tane log if you're interested.

There is one point that I haven't mentioned there yet: I've completely avoided looking at my face for a year. That's right: a full year without mirrors.

It was only about two years ago that I started realy obsessing about my skin. I spent hours in front of the mirror trying to squeeze out those "unsqueezables", pick at crusts and finally trying to cover the mess I had created with make-up. It was hell. After about a year of this shit I made the decision to just not look at my face anymore. I couldn't stand it. I was disgusted by what I saw. I continued my skin care routine but stopped using make-up. I went to an esthetician frequently to have stuff popped. As for my hair, I wore it in a ponytail or a bun most of the time.

It was a pretty hard-core solution but it worked. My mood was better and my skin benefitted from it too (Can't be sure, obviously never checked :P. My face did feel a lot better and my esthetician said my skin looked pretty nice.) However, I didn't want to keep going bare-face with my hair in a ponytail everyday... I wanted to wear eye make-up and have a cute hairstyle again. Since December last year I've been trying to gradually reintroduce mirrors in my life (this sounds weird :lol:). So far I'm doing fine. The first few glimples were horrible but things are getting better. I try only those zits that are begging for it and generally be nice to my skin.

Which finally leads me to the point of this thread:

I was wondering if any of you have experienced - or still are experiencing - the same. Have you gone through spells of altogether avoiding mirrors?

I know exactly how you feel......i myself have been so disgusted that I couldnt look at mirrors or I would never be able to leave the house.

I even had to blow dry my hair in the dark cause I didnt want to turn on the light to see my face. I also didnt look at mirror when walking into a public restroom when washing my hands I would on purpose look down at the sink or straight down on the floor on my way into the stall, never looking up to see my reflection. I will also not look at mirrors when far away cause I dont want to see my scars or acne.

I also only put my hair in a bun or ponytail & would never wear makeup because I felt like I felt like it was pointless trying to accentuate other qualities when my face looked so horrible.

Right now my acne is still moderate but not as bad as earlier last year.......I think that now that I am able to look at mirrors again I obsess over it & feel the need to stare at my acne very close up to study every detail and pore. I still avoid far away mirrors cause I dont want to see any dents or marks that the pimples have left behind... :(

Hey guys. Like so many of you I've struggled with acne for years. I'm currently on low-dose Accutane for it and I hope my skin will be nice and smooth soon. You can read my story in my 'tane log if you're interested.

There is one point that I haven't mentioned there yet: I've completely avoided looking at my face for a year. That's right: a full year without mirrors.

It was only about two years ago that I started realy obsessing about my skin. I spent hours in front of the mirror trying to squeeze out those "unsqueezables", pick at crusts and finally trying to cover the mess I had created with make-up. It was hell. After about a year of this shit I made the decision to just not look at my face anymore. I couldn't stand it. I was disgusted by what I saw. I continued my skin care routine but stopped using make-up. I went to an esthetician frequently to have stuff popped. As for my hair, I wore it in a ponytail or a bun most of the time.

It was a pretty hard-core solution but it worked. My mood was better and my skin benefitted from it too (Can't be sure, obviously never checked :P. My face did feel a lot better and my esthetician said my skin looked pretty nice.) However, I didn't want to keep going bare-face with my hair in a ponytail everyday... I wanted to wear eye make-up and have a cute hairstyle again. Since December last year I've been trying to gradually reintroduce mirrors in my life (this sounds weird :lol:). So far I'm doing fine. The first few glimples were horrible but things are getting better. I try only those zits that are begging for it and generally be nice to my skin.

Which finally leads me to the point of this thread:

I was wondering if any of you have experienced - or still are experiencing - the same. Have you gone through spells of altogether avoiding mirrors?

I hate mirrors alsos! I hate visiting my granny cos she has all these MIRRORS everywhere, and Im like "whoa granny, ya trying to kill me or somming?"

And I keep my head down real low when Im washing my hands in a public toilet, so as to not catch a glimpse of my uglied self in the mirrors. I wouldnt wash my hands at all in oublic toilets, only im scared people would go, "Oh look at her. No wonder shes got acne, she DUNT WASH HER HANDS!!", and then proceed to chuck things at me.

And many other circumstances in my life which are down to me and my mirrorphobia. Thanks. Emmekitten. I thought i was the only one.

its amazing i feel exxactly like you guys are all explainin and to my friends im "so insecure" and even a little "crazy". hey they dont know how it feels like...cmon now im sure many of you heard your friends say..it's not that bad really it's not stop obsessing over it..i would NEVER look into mirrors at department stores..especially macys cosmetics counters..yup those dreadful little things...the UP CLOSE vanity mirrors are just horrible i swear I feel like my face is projected into mega pixels whenever i even catch a GLIMPSE of my reflection. my boyfriend thinks im a little crazy too. recently me and my friends went on a vacation to los angeles..and while our stay at the hotel...u know those big ass mirrors in the hotel bathroom...gosh they're SO BAD..haha i manage to wash my face without looking up and just straight up AVOID the mirrors..or either i turn the lights real low...sigh sometimes I wonder when i'll resume back to regular life where i'll stop living so nocturnelle....it worries and saddens me when i wake up to a BRIGHT ass sunny day knowing that my acne is that much more evident in the bright sun...almost feel like a microscope is held up to my face when it's sunny and bright outside...haha..hang in there people! we've got each other for support and for ventilating our feelings!

Hey people

I can't help but notice that fear of mirrors is ONE of the signs of body dysmorphic disorder. I am not saying that you guys have it, because there are other criterias to meet. Nevertheless, I just wanted you guys to be aware of it, and realise that it's not a good habit.

A lot of people with body dysmorphic disorder focus on their skin and grossly magnify their imperfections even when it is not that bad. One of the signs is that they obsessively check their appearances in mirrors to hope for any change, or that they avoid mirrors at all costs, which is what a lot of you are doing.

Your personal perception of yourself is not an indication of how others perceive you. Things are not usually that bad.

mirrors found in my house makes me look good lol, but when i go for a drive and look in the mirrors of my car *ouch*.........

I used to be like that in my early teens because of an acne phase. I would walk into my bathroom at home, eyes down, avoiding looking whilst washing my hands. I would go several days without catching a glimpse of my face, looking at my clothes at a short distance from the mirror meaning that my head was cut off.

I've probably gone too far the other way and am now constantly looking in mirrors!

I'm completely the opposite. I'm constantly looking in mirrors or any reflective surface, judging to see if my scars look bad in this light or that light or the light over here. I hate it, but I can't stop doing it.