Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to this site, but I've searched this site for about two years now. I guess I should give a bit of information about myself. I'm 20-years-young. :) I'm in college, Go Blue!With that, however, comes the uneasiness that accompanies walking into a new classroom or lecture hall and meeting gorgeous clear faces, while mine looks terrible.

I've had acne pretty much for about 5-7 years now. It started off just a few pimples, here and there, but I also have a tendency to pick. Ugh. Terrible, I know. Working on that still. However, I'm pretty confident that switching products has greatly added to my skin's problems. I've used pretty much every over-the-counter face wash they offer; Neutrogena, Clean & Clear, Aveeno, Purpose, Cetaphil. On another note, I hate gentle cleansers, they make me break out more. Over the past year, I've tried a lot of different regimen's offered through this site, hoping that one might be the answer to my skin's problems. No dice. I hate topicals. I hate benzoyl peroxide, I got cysts using it "Regimen" style. I thought however, that I could use it in conjunction with BHA's, you know, handle acne on both levels. Very bad idea. (at least for my skin). My acne just got worse when I used them so I just stopped using them.

I don't use foundation. I use eyeliner, mascara, and lipgloss- then I'm out the door. I think it's safe to eliminate makeup as a factor in causing my acne.

Also, I've never been to a dermatologist; I refuse to pay a lot of money for visits, just to turn around and spend a lot of money on prescriptions. I don't want to have to keep having to use the "trial and error" method to see what works for my skin. I've done that enough, thank you.

Suffice it to say, I've tried a lot. I don't like topicals. I don't want to go to a dermatologist. I don't want to have to spend hundreds of dollars a month for clear skin. Being at school, though, has allowed me to alter what I eat. Also, before everyone starts telling me about the advantages of vitamin supplements, I DON'T want to take them. A.) They can be expensive. B.) I could probably incorporate foods in my diet that have these vitamins. But, back to the real issue. I've been eating a relatively healthy diet since I've been back, and I do believe it's helping.

I've been trying to avoid known "triggers" for acne, but there has been a lot of dispute over what does and doesn't aggravate acne. I've come to the conclusion, that it's different for a lot of people, but I've tried to stay away from the most "notarized" triggers.

-dairy

-wheat/grains-I don't eat pasta, bread, etc.

-foods that have been heavily processed or have lots of preservatives. Frozen dinners, fast food, etc.

-salty foods (fries mostly)

-I've recently cut out carrots and mushrooms.

What I do eat:

Salads: (usually two relatively large ones/day)

lettuce

spinach

broccoli

tomatoes

sunflower seeds

raisins

ranch dressing

and sometimes Turkey.

Fruit: (2-4 per day) Mainly apples

Apples-for their digestive properties.

Bananas

Strawberries (sometimes)

Lots of water. I don't drink pop or coffee.

Products I use and how often:

-Clearasil Deep Cleanse Daily Face Wash-Regular or Sensitive-2 times a day, for about 30 seconds each time. Also, I use the baby hair brush technique with it. The face wash is really creamy so the bristles don't feel as harsh against my skin because the wash is almost a barrier. I'm considering only exfoliating once a day though, probably in the morning.

-got2b in your face pure intent clay mask-still figuring out the balance with it, but currently 2-3 times a week, every-other-day.

-Eucerin Sensitive Facial Skin Q10 Anti-Wrinkle, SPF 15- (lotion)-only during the day and only on the really dry or flaky spots. Any lotion with SPF tends to make me break out.

Well, that's my regimen as of right now. I've been sort of fine-tuning it lately, trying to eliminate products and foods that may be making things worse. So far, my skin looks the best that it has over the past two or so years. It's getting back to normal!

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions in regards to food or regimen advice, all input is greatly appreciated. However, I've learned that sometimes less is more. :)

Also, I'll try to post pictures. :)

Your story is painfully akin to mine. I've been controlling my diet for five months, yet I still break out, and am currently dealing with NASTY cystic acne along my neck that I suspect I got by puffing the magic dragon.

After watching my skin spiral back into the depths even after having cut gluten, dairy, etc., I did finally discover a topical method which dramatically cleared my forehead, cheeks, and chin (where I had broken out badly) within a week. I mixed pure tea tree and pure lavendar oil with jojoba oil and applied that three or four times a day with a cotton swab. So now acne on my face is much, much better. You can pick up all sorts of essential oils at Ulta.

And finally, finally I am once subduing my neck and jawline. I've been using two or three aspirin masks a day for the past three days. After popping about ten cysts on tuesday (I love/hate popping cysts; this gusher of dark blood bursts out, and suddenly there's no longer this painful throbbing THING on my face EDIT: My bad, what I'm describing actually fits the description of "nodules," a different type of that acne which transcends mild and moderate to be classed as severe) I applied the aspirin mask, and now, several masks and oil treatments later, I can see and feel the improvement.

Grind up aspirin tablets in a coffee grinder. Add a SMALL amount of water; just enough that the powder will stick to your face. And then pack it on, and don't wash the mask off for a few hours. Do this at night, and you'll see improvement the next morning, though it will be especially ephemeral at first.

Thanks for your response Cavillor. :)

I've never tried an aspirin mask, although I have heard/read quite a bit about them over the countless hours scouring the internet looking for solutions. lol. It's really not that funny now that I think about it, but I've just been trying to come up with some solution that works on multiple levels. I mean, I wonder how much money I've waisted trying to find the perfect cleanser *staring at the shelf full of face washes that are still mostly full* In reality, I don't know if I broke out because of them, or because of my diet. I don't know what's worse, having spent a lot of money, or being afraid to try them again because I don't know if I'll break out. Ugh.

Well, I don't know where an Ulta is around here, but I have been to one before, and for the record, I love it. :)

10 cysts! That's intense. I'd probably pass out. But yes, I have a bad habit of picking as well. Idk, I just can't stand to look at them. Also, for some odd reason, I think I'd rather be red from messing with them, than have whiteheads or huge ones that look like they're about to spawn into a full-fledged human. Disgusting. lol.

Also, what cleanser do you use or would you recommend? Thanks again!

My treatment has changed dramatically, and for the better, since I made that post about a month ago. I saw a dermatologist on 6 Feb. She put me on 135mg of Solodyn (time-released minocycline antibiotic), benzoyl peroxide, and Differin .3%. She originally had me using 5.5% BP, but I was not about to pay $50 for a small tube of prescription BP, especially since 2.5% is just as effective (and it's easier to spread, since I can use more of it).

Now, two weeks into it, I'm very pleased. The acne on my neck and jaw has improved so drastically. All of my big, inflamed bumps are gone. I suspect this is mainly the result of the topicals, especially the Differin. For all the warnings about 8-12 weeks and initial break-outs, Differin started working very fast.

I'm not clear, but my skin is doing a lot better than the pseudo-clarity I could sometimes achieve with aspirin masques. They dried my skin out terribly, and all the acne was still there, just under the skin, slowly oozing upward, unending because I was defeating inflammation but doing nothing to fight the bacteria.

Ok...so it's been a while since I've updated any of this....mainly due to a lot of drawbacks I've been having lately with my skin. I am so frustrated at times; I'll be on the verge of getting clear, and then I do something stupid-eat a lot of junkfood, etc..and then I find myself right back where I found myself weeks ago-broken out and extremely disgusted with myself.

Things I've realized:

-alcohol and cigarettes-a huge mistake. I recently went home for a weekend for a friends birthday party and decided to have a few drinks. I figured it wouldn't have any adverse affects because I hardly ever drink. Well, I am pretty confident that the alcohol wasn't the main factor in my skin breaking out, but I have a bad habit of smoking when I drink. I don't even smoke! That's what gets me; I don't even smoke except for when I drink, on the rare occasion, yet my skin was completely ruined within the matter of a weekend from drinking/smoking and being around others who smoke. Needless to say, I'm still working on clearing my skin and that was early January when that happened.

-I exfoliate far too much. It's making my skin really red and blotchy.

-I need to quit cheating-NO More Junkfood....which is going to be really hard since break is coming up and I'll be back at home (goodbye my perfected salads).

-I don't want to use Clearasil or Dial liquid antibacterial. I recently tried the liquid dial but that was also a huge mistake. My skin got really dry, and the first two ingredients are sulfates. Ugh. I thought it might help because, of course, I watch what others use. I noticed a girl down my hall who uses it and she has next to perfect skin. I of course didn't bother to ask if she's on b.c. or retinoids, etc....nope, just started using the soap. Bad idea. When I switched back to Clearasil it helped some, but it hasn't been helping much as it has in the past, and I think it might be contributing to clogging my pores (it's a creamy wash).

-New product-

Ivory soap. That's it. Exfoliate with a facial buff in the morning with the soap. Simply wash with the soap at night. I give in. I can't stand Cetaphil products-they break me out-as do most gentle cleansers (including Purpose). I just can't keep buying all of these different products to test and end up disappointed. I've had enough.

-New diet-

Actually sticking to fruits and veggies.

Salads2/day

Lettuce

Spinach

Carrots

Cucumbers

Tomatoes

Broccoli

Sunflower seeds

Raisins (they're really good in salads :D )

Sometimes Turkey.

Ranch dressing. (I don't know if this is bad?)

Fruits-1-2/day

Green apples ( I don't like red-skinned apples. )

Bananas

Cheating every now and then ( I love chocolate-but not every day; my weakness the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies made in my dorm.) Maybe once a week?

Hey, I know how you feel, I am super frustrated with this whole diet acne thing too. I feel like I eat perfect and my skin looks great but once I try to have a tad bit of a social life (drinking, eating out, staying up late), BAM I get a breakout. I don't really like the person I've become, being all obsessed with food and life in general... but I'm so afraid of having to resort back to accutane....

Ughh sorry I shouldn't be venting in your log lol.

Anyway, hope you get clear soon and lots of luck :D

Ok...so it's been a while since I've updated any of this....mainly due to a lot of drawbacks I've been having lately with my skin. I am so frustrated at times; I'll be on the verge of getting clear, and then I do something stupid-eat a lot of junkfood, etc..and then I find myself right back where I found myself weeks ago-broken out and extremely disgusted with myself.

Things I've realized:

-alcohol and cigarettes-a huge mistake. I recently went home for a weekend for a friends birthday party and decided to have a few drinks. I figured it wouldn't have any adverse affects because I hardly ever drink. Well, I am pretty confident that the alcohol wasn't the main factor in my skin breaking out, but I have a bad habit of smoking when I drink. I don't even smoke! That's what gets me; I don't even smoke except for when I drink, on the rare occasion, yet my skin was completely ruined within the matter of a weekend from drinking/smoking and being around others who smoke. Needless to say, I'm still working on clearing my skin and that was early January when that happened.

-I exfoliate far too much. It's making my skin really red and blotchy.

-I need to quit cheating-NO More Junkfood....which is going to be really hard since break is coming up and I'll be back at home (goodbye my perfected salads).

-I don't want to use Clearasil or Dial liquid antibacterial. I recently tried the liquid dial but that was also a huge mistake. My skin got really dry, and the first two ingredients are sulfates. Ugh. I thought it might help because, of course, I watch what others use. I noticed a girl down my hall who uses it and she has next to perfect skin. I of course didn't bother to ask if she's on b.c. or retinoids, etc....nope, just started using the soap. Bad idea. When I switched back to Clearasil it helped some, but it hasn't been helping much as it has in the past, and I think it might be contributing to clogging my pores (it's a creamy wash).

-New product-

Ivory soap. That's it. Exfoliate with a facial buff in the morning with the soap. Simply wash with the soap at night. I give in. I can't stand Cetaphil products-they break me out-as do most gentle cleansers (including Purpose). I just can't keep buying all of these different products to test and end up disappointed. I've had enough.

-New diet-

Actually sticking to fruits and veggies.

Salads2/day

Lettuce

Spinach

Carrots

Cucumbers

Tomatoes

Broccoli

Sunflower seeds

Raisins (they're really good in salads :D )

Sometimes Turkey.

Ranch dressing. (I don't know if this is bad?)

Fruits-1-2/day

Green apples ( I don't like red-skinned apples. )

Bananas

Cheating every now and then ( I love chocolate-but not every day; my weakness the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies made in my dorm.) Maybe once a week?

Hey, I know how you feel, I am super frustrated with this whole diet acne thing too. I feel like I eat perfect and my skin looks great but once I try to have a tad bit of a social life (drinking, eating out, staying up late), BAM I get a breakout. I don't really like the person I've become, being all obsessed with food and life in general... but I'm so afraid of having to resort back to accutane....

Ughh sorry I shouldn't be venting in your log lol.

Anyway, hope you get clear soon and lots of luck :D

I totally understand your frustration with topicals, but ivory soap might be drying and irritating to your skin...My skin hates most topicals, but I've had a lot of luck with natural topical products..you can find some at natural foods stores, or you can check out apothena.com (where i get mine) or you can even make them yourself...i think it helps quite a bit. Also you might consider some supplements, you might be able to have a slightly less stringent diet that way (not that i'm an expert since I haven't gotten 100% clear yet either, but i'm advising you based on what i'm trying :))

Ok....so...F*%k just using soap. I broke out really bad from using Ivory. I think it's because my skin was really drained of natural oils. Using the soap 2x a day, well...that had to stop. I also think I'll have to quit using Clearasil indefinitely; I just bought some of the StayClear Oil-Free Daily Face Wash, which is really creamy like the Deep Cleanse Daily Face Wash (which I can't seem to find anywhere anymore?), so I figured that it was just a newer packaging for the product considering it's the same consistency, but alas, no dice. This face wash is newer, but they also added a newer scent which is really perfume-like. What's worse is that they added Menthol. It doesn't make sense to me why these companies seem to add additional ingredients that would potentially make skin worse/irritated. I'm afraid to even try it because I don't know if I'll have a bad reaction to it. Ugh....more money wasted. (I didn't realize it had menthol in it until I got home)

I'm thinking about trying to just use the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash-Yes, it's an SA product, but I'm seriously at a loss of what to use next. Does anyone have any feedback about this product?

you can check it out under the treatment reviews on this site, that will give you plenty of feedback! I use dan's cleanser and really like it. I also used to love the purpose cleanser by johnson and johnson.

Ok...so I did check out the reviews offered through this site, as well as makeup alley (They tend to have a lot more reviews for skin care products). The cleanser didn't get very high ranking on either site, but from reading some of the reviews by those satisfied with the Neutrogena cleanser, I decided to try it. However, I'm only using it at night, and my regular Clearasil in the morning. My younger sister uses this face wash, and my mom used to use it (she said it started to dry out the area around her mouth), but there was never a problem with it breaking her out, which is definitely a good sign. I think this might be working, although it's too soon to tell for certain (I've only used it for the past two days-but no new breakouts :)).

The concept is similar to Botchla's regimen;an antibacterial and SA wash. I however, as noted before, I can't use benzoyl peroxide. Also, after asking my mom about her "regimen," she said that bp had the same effect on her...hmm...so that's where genetics might come in handy---know what works for your parents! lol.

Also, no offense to those who love the official "Regimen" cleanser, or Purpose, but I need something with some form of anti-acne ingredients considering I don't use any topicals and "gentle" cleansers don't seem to help my acne. (I don't know if they do break me out, but I know for me, they don't help. I break out more while using them; not necessarily because they're comodegenic, but because there are no active ingredients working to prevent or help existing acne.) I think the SA is helping though. SA=anti-inflammatory. :)

On a separate note, since being on vacation, I've been really bad with cheating on my diet, but I can't really prevent that considering I'm not at school (I'm back at home visiting family). My family definitely has a sweet tooth;there's always candy or chocolate around the house. Ugh. I've been trying to still eat some fruits and veggies, but it's difficult when the fridge isn't stocked with them. I've been eating pretty terribly for the past few days, and I've been dealing with the repercussions (until I changed from soap back to Clearasil and Neutrogena I was breaking out terribly.) Part of me wishes I was back at school so I could at least feel comforted knowing my skin won't suffer from eating badly. Ugh...That's quite depressing to think in terms of that;visit family or keep my diet. Why can't I have both!?!

ok....so it's been a bit of a rough week. I've been home visiting family for the break, and of course my skin takes a turn for the worst. I've been switching products like it's my job, which definitely has to stop. I am going t stop using clearasil and the neutrogena. I like the clearasil, but it has alcohol in it which I believe is causing irritation on my forehead; I get these small little red bumps from it that don't go away apparently. Also, I like the Neutrogena, but I'm really nervous about trying to keep it in my regimen-I did start breaking out again. It wasn't anything serious though which is good. I don't want to attribute it to the product for certain because I have been messing up on my diet, but for peace of mind, I'm going to take it out too.

I bought some JASON Tea Tree hand/face soap the other night and I have been using it since. I do think it's drying my skin out, so I think I might just try to wash my face once a day or perhaps alter the amount of time I wash it. It is winter though....so I can't solely blame the soap for my dryness-as I noted in other posts other products have wreaked havoc on my skin over the past few weeks. I do like the fact that it's a huge bottle-I believe 15oz, and it was only $7.99. The soap will definitely last a long time. The ingredient list looks pretty good too-and it's also an organic soap for those who want to go au natural! :)

Oh....and I did decide to get a multivitamin. I've been so bad with my diet while on vacation and I knew I wasn't getting all of my daily doses. I'm using One A Day Women's.

I also picked up a few fruits and veggies for the house so I can have alternatives. Hooray for good food, oh how I've missed it.

Fruits:

Raspberries

Blueberries

Green apples

Veggies:

Broccoli

Celery

Carrots

Back at school! Ahh...the relief in knowing I can have my salads and fruits back! lol.

Anywho...I've decided that maybe I will still try to use Clearasil, but only once a day. I like the JASON tea tree soap, but I can't use it 2x a day because my skin gets really dry....so I'll try to only use that during the day and use the Clearasil at night. My skin is definitely improving, but I need to make sure I counter the dryness so I don't break out.

Anyways...that's it for now...I have to get some hw done, but I'll update about how the routine is going.

Ok....so I really slack off and don't update this nearly as much as I should. Acknowledged.

I've been really disheartened lately. I am so frustrated and just depressed overall because of my skin. I hate it. I hate walking with my eyes turned towards the ground because I feel disgusting. I hate feeling like everyone's staring at my flaws. I hate that I seclude myself from others because of it. I hate the fact that after I have a "decent" skin day, I tear my skin apart; I see blackheads/pimples (even if they're underground) and I pick. Not only that...I don't stop. I don't stop until my face is completely red with spots from it, then I resign myself to the shower hoping that I don't run into anyone on the way to the bathroom who will see the disaster that I have made. I am completely and truthfully my own worst enemy. It's a vicious cycle: pick, wash, pick, wash. I know this, and each time I tell myself that I need to stop, but I don't. I know that my skin could be better, perhaps not completely clear, if I stopped.

I just don't know what to do. I try to simplify things and it just isn't working, so I get frustrated when I see new pimples emerging and I PICK!

I can't use the Tea Tree Oil soap daily because I don't think it is preventative enough in dealing with my acne. ( I think triclosan is stronger). However, I do use the soap once every other night because it does seem to calm my skin down and reduce redness. I've been using Clearasil 2X a day, trying to space washing at least 9-10 hours apart in order toI' reduce possible irritation and stripping of natural oils.

I've since stopped taking the multivitamin because I was breaking out with larger pimples than usual. I know it was because of the vitamins because that was the only other thing that I added to my diet/regimen. It wasn't the soap because it didn't make me break out worse, it just wasn't strong enough as an antiseptic/antibacterial wash for me. I quit taking the vitamin and my skin hasn't been breaking out as much. I just don't get it....why would that happen? The vitamin doesn't have iodine in it; it only has 10% daily value of Biotin....those are the only things that I've heard of that would cause adverse effects. I think I might try taking them every other day to ensure that I get my vitamins that I miss from eating, but overall, I think that daily it's overkill for me and it made things worse.

I'm just at a loss now....

Ok....so I really slack off and don't update this nearly as much as I should. Acknowledged.

I've been really disheartened lately. I am so frustrated and just depressed overall because of my skin. I hate it. I hate walking with my eyes turned towards the ground because I feel disgusting. I hate feeling like everyone's staring at my flaws. I hate that I seclude myself from others because of it. I hate the fact that after I have a "decent" skin day, I tear my skin apart; I see blackheads/pimples (even if they're underground) and I pick. Not only that...I don't stop. I don't stop until my face is completely red with spots from it, then I resign myself to the shower hoping that I don't run into anyone on the way to the bathroom who will see the disaster that I have made. I am completely and truthfully my own worst enemy. It's a vicious cycle: pick, wash, pick, wash. I know this, and each time I tell myself that I need to stop, but I don't. I know that my skin could be better, perhaps not completely clear, if I stopped.

I just don't know what to do. I try to simplify things and it just isn't working, so I get frustrated when I see new pimples emerging and I PICK!

I can't use the Tea Tree Oil soap daily because I don't think it is preventative enough in dealing with my acne. ( I think triclosan is stronger). However, I do use the soap once every other night because it does seem to calm my skin down and reduce redness. I've been using Clearasil 2X a day, trying to space washing at least 9-10 hours apart in order toI' reduce possible irritation and stripping of natural oils.

I've since stopped taking the multivitamin because I was breaking out with larger pimples than usual. I know it was because of the vitamins because that was the only other thing that I added to my diet/regimen. It wasn't the soap because it didn't make me break out worse, it just wasn't strong enough as an antiseptic/antibacterial wash for me. I quit taking the vitamin and my skin hasn't been breaking out as much. I just don't get it....why would that happen? The vitamin doesn't have iodine in it; it only has 10% daily value of Biotin....those are the only things that I've heard of that would cause adverse effects. I think I might try taking them every other day to ensure that I get my vitamins that I miss from eating, but overall, I think that daily it's overkill for me and it made things worse.

I'm just at a loss now....

Ok...so the semester is winding down, but not exactly letting up. I have 2 novels to finish before the 14th, a paper to write, 2 exams, and yeah...not sure what else I'll need to do for my psych lab.

Anyways...since I've decided to stay at school during the spring/summer semester, I figured that I need to try a new approach with my skin care. I've ditched the Clearasil products because as I noted in a prior post, I can't find the old formula of the face wash and the new one contains menthol which I believe is irritating my skin. I recently read about Mandelic Acid on the boards, and although many people hail it's powers for redmarks, it is also known to have antibacterial properties. Yay! Anyways, I ordered some Nucelle Cleanser (as noted in my sig.) and have been using it for the past few days...I really like it. It's a liquid, but not really thick or oily feeling. Also, it has no alcohols in it, which I believe is really helping my skin (the Clearasil did have alcohols..ugh) because it's not overdrying. On a similar note, there are only 15 ingredients compared to the 24 in the Clearasil product I was using before. Simple is better. :)

The ingredients...duh..duh...duh:

Purified water, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Peg-150 Distearate, Sodium Laureth-13 Carboxylate, Algae Extract, Mandelic Acid, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, FD&C Green No. 3, FD&C Blue No.1, Fragrance.

I'm also trying to only wash once a day in the morning. Washing 2-3 times daily with the Clearasil really dried out my skin...so at least for now, for healing and reduced irritation purposes, I'm reducing it to once daily.

On a separate note, I also bought the 10% Mandelic Acid Serum from Nucelle, but I don't want to incorporate that in yet, because it may not be necessary. In addition, I don't want to become dependent on it to keep my skin looking good (it's not exactly cheap). This ensures that I don't cause a "purging" effect (if I would have one...can never be too sure with new products), and I don't keep repurchasing it if I can get the same benefits without using that product, etc. Idk...maybe I'll use it every other night or as a spot treatment. If I don't like it or my skin breaks out...I'll just send it back...refund. :)

That's pretty much all for now, but I'll try to keep updating...even if only for my own sake. lol.