Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have acne and starting to get alot of them.

My mum give me no support at all. They keep saying stuff like "your youth, everyone has em".

I tried taking things into my own hands and go to the doctor who prescribed me some cream. I'm a poor student who has no money. I asked my mum to buy it for me and she refused. She keeps insitsting that it will all be good and i should just learn to do nothing about it.

Now she's using my acne to guilt trip me out with everything that i'm doing wrong.

Stop eating this it gives you acne. Stop doing that it gives you acne. Drink this your acne will go away.

I keep telling her i have researched alot about acne yet she continually insists that she knows sooo much about acne even though she obviously knows none of it.

I have gotten a job and bought Dan's stuff and my acne is taking a postive turn. I havn't told her any of this, i even hid the packages and Dan's products from her. NOW she insists that her herbal remedies is what's making my acne better, and she keeps telling me "i told you so".

I am sooo annoyed with her. Every single time she comments on my acne i get really angry and annoyed and make it clear to her how annoyed i am with her and she gets all offended.

I have no idea what to do with her. I feel her hyporcritical and that she dsn't understand me at all...

Unfortunately parents tend to treat acne as being something trivial that you will soon grow out of and is a part of being young. They don't understand how it can deeply affect your self esteem. By telling you what to eat or drink she thinks she is helping you. As a mother myself, I don't think she would be deliberately trying to make you feel worse. I would show her the products you have bought.

Ahh.. the angst of teenage years.

On a more positive note, congratulations on your improvement in acne.

A lot of the time, parents mean well. Even in your case, your mum meant you no harm. In her head she really believes that acne is nothing serious and that her 'treatment' is effective. She wants to help you; she just doesn't know better.

If she is unwilling to give you the support you need, you should seek support elsewhere. Stop telling her about your acne problem and don't respond too enthusiastically to her comments on your acne as well. I find that it helped me get my parents off my back on various issues.

Good luck!

I just think they are, for the most part, uneducated. They either only rely on their own experience with acne, or what people "tell" them.

"your youth, everyone has em".

She keeps insitsting that it will all be good and i should just learn to do nothing about it.

Now she's using my acne to guilt trip me out with everything that i'm doing wrong.

Stop eating this it gives you acne. Stop doing that it gives you acne. Drink this your acne will go away.

I keep telling her i have researched alot about acne yet she continually insists that she knows sooo much about acne even though she obviously knows none of it.

I have gotten a job and bought Dan's stuff and my acne is taking a postive turn. I havn't told her any of this, i even hid the packages and Dan's products from her. NOW she insists that her herbal remedies is what's making my acne better, and she keeps telling me "i told you so".

I am sooo annoyed with her. Every single time she comments on my acne i get really angry and annoyed and make it clear to her how annoyed i am with her and she gets all offended.

This is a difficult situation and I know exactly how it is. I would say it's been a sore spot between me and all of my family members for years now.

Don't just ignore it and do nothing about it. You don't want to be stuck with scars like me and others around here. For a while I did the ignoring approach too, thinking it would be fine after a while and I could bear it temporarily, but I regret it. I should have been much more proactive and careful. And I should have researched it more--but sites like this and the internet in general weren't as developed back when I had active problems with it some years ago. Use them to your advantage.

I know what you mean about the guilt tripping. They will use it at every opportunity; it's such a low blow. And they will always try to impose regimens and remedies on you, no matter how far fetched they sound. And it's hard to argue effectively, bc you're the one stuck with skin problems while they aren't.

The only way I've been able to deal with it if it's brought up is to single out their health problems in response. For example: high blood pressure, memory problems, pregnancy complications. These are all issues my family members actually have and I've had to (or am ready to) bring up if they start bugging me about my shitty skin. What other choice is there but to be silent in the face of criticism, unsolicited advice, and incessant guilt tripping? I don't want to be combative about it but sometimes I feel compelled to retaliate

For me, one of the worst parts of skin issues has been its effect on my interactions with my family members. I feel it's definitely caused strain. I mean, strangers or people in school are one thing--eff them, you know. But family members is another thing