Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acnoman

Body building and ACNE

Hi people,

I am 23 yr male. I have been suffering frm acne from past several years(forgot the count). I started bodybuilding a 2 yrs back. I wasnt on any special diet(coz couldnt afford it). I got a job 6 months back and I started having 15 egg whites, 2 scoops of whey, 5 gms of Creatine Monohydrate and 250 gms of chicken breast on my training days along with my three meals. On my non-training day, I usually consume 15 egg whites. I also have 4 bananas, oatmeal(with milk), carrots, almonds and consume atleast 3 to 4 lts of water. I usually have 6 small meals everyday. From past few months, all kinds of acne started spurting on my face(cysts, white heads etc). This has lead to depression in my life. I consulted a derm, who prescribed me a tab called ISOACE(Isotretinion-same as Accutane-20 mg). He told me to take it for 15 days and then come for the first appointment of Sallycilic peel. For the first 10 days of 20mg was fine. Then after that, my skin started to shrivel up like a prune. Dryness and peeling all over. I could see wrinkles on my face and my eyes ahhhhhhhhh. :doh: I stopped taking it. I quit my bodybuilding regime, diet and started eating lots of carrots, plenty of water and consume only 15 egg whites as my protein source. This has devestated me a lot. I just miss pumping iron. Even after my second appointment of Sallycilic peel, my face has shown only a few changes. The scars :wall: . I have decided to go back to my old routine, but stop taking whey and totally cut down my milk consumption(taking calcium tabs) All you bodybuilders out there, I know that you have faced the same problem in your life. If you have any solution, please help me out. A desperate cry from a desperate guy..... :cry:

Hope you people will help me out.

Hey man, I'm 23 and weight train too and have found a good balance that doesn't cause extra acne for me. First of all, creatine can aggravate and possibly cause acne for many as it stresses the liver and kidneys. You'll c conflicting evidence of this online, but mostly the ones that say creatine is safe, are the ones selling it or who advertise for other companies.

Second, a high glycemic diet can aggravate acne as well. Bananas are pretty high up there and has also been shown to be an allergen that actually causes acne in some people. Weightlifting actually helps balance insulin and blood sugar in the body, so you can continue that as long as its not excessive.

Milk and dairy products have been linked to acne. I used to have 2 cups twice a day with my protein shakes and stopped drinking milk completely now. They actually say that skim milk is worse cuz it contains more hormones or something. So try cutting or limiting dairy.

Keep drinking lots of water. If none of this helps, you should try cutting the egg whites since eggs are one of the top allergens that can cause acnein people and consuming something everyday for extended periods of time can sometimes bring on an allergy to that product. But id say cut the creatine first, that helped me the most. Good Luck

Hi people,

I am 23 yr male. I have been suffering frm acne from past several years(forgot the count). I started bodybuilding a 2 yrs back. I wasnt on any special diet(coz couldnt afford it). I got a job 6 months back and I started having 15 egg whites, 2 scoops of whey, 5 gms of Creatine Monohydrate and 250 gms of chicken breast on my training days along with my three meals. On my non-training day, I usually consume 15 egg whites. I also have 4 bananas, oatmeal(with milk), carrots, almonds and consume atleast 3 to 4 lts of water. I usually have 6 small meals everyday. From past few months, all kinds of acne started spurting on my face(cysts, white heads etc). This has lead to depression in my life. I consulted a derm, who prescribed me a tab called ISOACE(Isotretinion-same as Accutane-20 mg). He told me to take it for 15 days and then come for the first appointment of Sallycilic peel. For the first 10 days of 20mg was fine. Then after that, my skin started to shrivel up like a prune. Dryness and peeling all over. I could see wrinkles on my face and my eyes ahhhhhhhhh. :doh: I stopped taking it. I quit my bodybuilding regime, diet and started eating lots of carrots, plenty of water and consume only 15 egg whites as my protein source. This has devestated me a lot. I just miss pumping iron. Even after my second appointment of Sallycilic peel, my face has shown only a few changes. The scars :wall: . I have decided to go back to my old routine, but stop taking whey and totally cut down my milk consumption(taking calcium tabs) All you bodybuilders out there, I know that you have faced the same problem in your life. If you have any solution, please help me out. A desperate cry from a desperate guy..... :cry:

Hope you people will help me out.

Thanks for your advice. I am going to stop taking Creatine. And I have one more doubt. Will taking all the extra protein(1 gm per pound of body weight) cause acne?. Currently, I am targeting for 160 gms of protein with only chicken and eggs(Stopping whey for now). If you are into bodybuilding, can you share your diet with me?. Let me see if that brings any changes on my face and body. :)

Hey man, I'm 23 and weight train too and have found a good balance that doesn't cause extra acne for me. First of all, creatine can aggravate and possibly cause acne for many as it stresses the liver and kidneys. You'll c conflicting evidence of this online, but mostly the ones that say creatine is safe, are the ones selling it or who advertise for other companies.

Second, a high glycemic diet can aggravate acne as well. Bananas are pretty high up there and has also been shown to be an allergen that actually causes acne in some people. Weightlifting actually helps balance insulin and blood sugar in the body, so you can continue that as long as its not excessive.

Milk and dairy products have been linked to acne. I used to have 2 cups twice a day with my protein shakes and stopped drinking milk completely now. They actually say that skim milk is worse cuz it contains more hormones or something. So try cutting or limiting dairy.

Keep drinking lots of water. If none of this helps, you should try cutting the egg whites since eggs are one of the top allergens that can cause acnein people and consuming something everyday for extended periods of time can sometimes bring on an allergy to that product. But id say cut the creatine first, that helped me the most. Good Luck

I've stopped all my training supplements.. ZMA, Krealkalyn, Whey, Casein, but my acne looks like hell! I don't know what's wrong :(

Are you still taking your protein shakes?(Whey protein). IF yes, then whey is derived from milk, which is one of the reason to cause acne as you said. I have a brand new optimum nutrition 100% gold standard whey container left. Dont know what to do with it??? :think:

I do all the stuff above - creatine (make sure thats Creatine Monohydrate and not Ethyl Ester HCL, also make sure it's just pure creatine and nothing else from a quality source). Whey protein isolate, egg protein and don't currently have acne. All this stuff puts stress on your body and it's not advisable to do it all the time and for long periods. I also try to have a reasonable diet which for me is high in protein & fat, low in carbs. The only thing that causing my last bit of hard to clear acne was a problem with fructose, so cutting fruit and keep sugar to a minimum, adding taurine & b vitamins have solved. So my advice is keep trying things (you can lay off the BB stuff if you like, but i never did - just remember to be sensible and take breaks to give your body some time off) and hopefully you'll find the root cause of your acne!

Hmmmmm. That is a good suggestion. My coach, who also takes part in competition, eats huge amount of beef(2 pounds per day :shock: ) and all other kinds of stuff. He's also into Muscle Juice, Creatine and now he's also taking an anabolic(as his competition is nearing). The guy is 24 and has the skin of a model you see on the tube. Clean and Clear. He usually breaks out around his thighs(thats ok for me). He doesnt apply any kind of OTC products. Just soap and water. He's my spotter in the the gym and I just feel depressed when I see his face.

Hey, One more thing. I know that acne is caused due to high levels of testosterone(which we guys have, as we work out). Do you know when our tests will become low?. I mean as we age, there is a drop in tests right?. People usually say that we grow out of acne. They usually dont know the relation between tests and age and usually mean "grow out" in an indirect way. :doh:

Man, we are not even on steroids. Just plain exercise and diet. Why do we have to suffer this? Look at all the models on the ramp with their awesome physique and clear face. They do all these things(diet) what we do. Then why us?. :wall:.

My sallycillic peel sessions are killing me(financially not physically). Help out :unsure:

I do all the stuff above - creatine (make sure thats Creatine Monohydrate and not Ethyl Ester HCL, also make sure it's just pure creatine and nothing else from a quality source). Whey protein isolate, egg protein and don't currently have acne. All this stuff puts stress on your body and it's not advisable to do it all the time and for long periods. I also try to have a reasonable diet which for me is high in protein & fat, low in carbs. The only thing that causing my last bit of hard to clear acne was a problem with fructose, so cutting fruit and keep sugar to a minimum, adding taurine & b vitamins have solved. So my advice is keep trying things (you can lay off the BB stuff if you like, but i never did - just remember to be sensible and take breaks to give your body some time off) and hopefully you'll find the root cause of your acne!

I'm taking whey, I figured if I cut out all my other dairy, whey protein is a very low in its actual dairy source. Thats if you buy good quality whey, these are usually filtered better as to just leave behind the protein and not much else. Obviously its not still pure protein, but the closer the better. My whey is a blend of whey concentrate and whey isolate.

Whey isolates are by far the best if your concerned about the whey and acne link. Whey isolate is more expensive, but it is filtered to an extent that some whey isolates have no lactose in them and are close to 95% pure protein.

Hmmmmm. That is a good suggestion. My coach, who also takes part in competition, eats huge amount of beef(2 pounds per day :shock: ) and all other kinds of stuff. He's also into Muscle Juice, Creatine and now he's also taking an anabolic(as his competition is nearing). The guy is 24 and has the skin of a model you see on the tube. Clean and Clear. He usually breaks out around his thighs(thats ok for me). He doesnt apply any kind of OTC products. Just soap and water. He's my spotter in the the gym and I just feel depressed when I see his face.

My diet is as follows.

5:00 am 3 bananas, creatine and 1 scoop whey with water

5:30 am to 7:00 am work out

7:15 am A banana with whey(mixed in water), 5 egg whites.

8: 00 am- 20 almonds

9:30 am- whole wheat bread(around 6 to 7 slices). A cup of tea

11:00 am- A bowl of salad(cucumber, tomato, carrot)

1:00 pm- Lunch(2 bowls of rice, 5 egg whites, tomatoes(2))

4:00 pm- Oatmeal with milk, boiled chicken breast(200 gms)

7:00 pm- Boiled chicken breast(50 gms)

8:30 pm- Dinner(6 whole wheat bread with lentil curry, 5 egg whites)

10:30 sleep

This goes on for 5 days. Workout is on Monday, Tuesday, Wed, Fri, Sat. On my non training days, I take only egg whites, cutting down the chicken, whey and creatine. Sometimes, I take fish meals on my non training days.

My bowel movement is fine(coz I take lots of fibre and water(3-4lts)), No indigestion, infrequent bowel movements, frequent diarrhoea, dry skin, hair/nail problems, eye problems, etc. Only sore muscles sometimes(coz of heavy weights)). Off late, I have seen growth of hair all over my body(maybe due to high tests). I take vitamin and calcium supplements(have stopped intake of milk). Now, Should I make any changes in my diet(add some or remove some stuff????).

Am using Clean and Clear face wash, apply Crixan gel on my acne affected areas in the morning along with a sunscreen.

Planning to stop whey and Creatine Monohydrate completely. :shifty: . Already stopped bananas, almonds and my WORK OUTS :unsure:

Please help out :ninja:

I know what you mean about seeing other peoples face's and getting depressed. It's been a long road and taken a lot of motivation for me to find my problems and get my acne under control - but it was definitely worth the effort. I only use soap & water too now (natural soap - just natural neem & propolis soap i think).

Hey, One more thing. I know that acne is caused due to high levels of testosterone(which we guys have, as we work out). Do you know when our tests will become low?. I mean as we age, there is a drop in tests right?. People usually say that we grow out of acne. They usually dont know the relation between tests and age and usually mean "grow out" in an indirect way. :doh:

Man, we are not even on steroids. Just plain exercise and diet. Why do we have to suffer this? Look at all the models on the ramp with their awesome physique and clear face. They do all these things(diet) what we do. Then why us?. :wall:.

My sallycillic peel sessions are killing me(financially not physically). Help out :unsure:

My diet is as follows.

My diet is as follows.

Glennart covered your diet pretty well, but I just wanted to say that, no, acne is not caused by high testosterone levels.

Well, it can be, but in most cases it's the androgen receptors that matter, which is why someone can have testosterone levels through the roof and not have acne, and why someone else might have slightly less-than-average levels and still have acne.

Edit: About the protein thing -- I don't think you need 160 grams per day, although I've seen a lot of people doing 200+ grams per day so you're not too bad. Muscle is composed of about 65-70% water (depends on your source), so by that logic it would be more important to increase your water intake than your protein intake.

I lift weights and gain muscle fine on a 100 gram protein diet, which I feel is easier on your digestive system and is still well above the RDA of 65 grams.

each meal you consume should contain carbs, protein & fat something like 40% 30% 30% (although i strive for 33% 33% 33%).

Could you explain why?

I used to get 200 or more grams of protein a day when I was 170, but when I read that too much protein strains your kidneys and liver I lowered it. Now I have 5-6 meals a day with about 20-30g of protein,30-50g low/med glycemic carbs, and 10-20g fat.

I get most of my protein from chicken breast, egg whites and one yolk a day, tuna and occasionally beef, salmon or a protien bar with whey and soy etc.

Carbs come from sweet potatoes, apples, greens, brown rice mostly but pretty much anything else on occasion.

Fat from olive oil, avocados, 1tspn clo daily and some from shicken egg yolk meat etc.

And yeah, a balanced diet with protien, carbs and fat in each meal is best for bodybuilders because our bodies need the all of these nutrients constantly to help rebuild muscles and replenish glycogen stores

And also, since ive been getting more carbs and less protein, I have more energy for my workouts and my muscles look fuller and are harder because their glycogen stores are fuller. I also second the fact that only a little bit of extra protein is needed to build muscle.

About the hair thing, I have dark, thick facial hair. When I get real stressed it starts to grow on my cheeks like on the apple of them. Not like full beard but maybe 10-20 of them and when the stress goes away and I keep plucking or shaving them they seem to dwindle away. It may be a combination of extra testosterone from bodybuilding and stress making the androgen receptors more sensitive. So try to keep that stress down!

^^^^^^^

scooping out the egg yolk and putting it in a seperate bowl, then cooking the egg white and putting the raw scooped out egg yolk on top of the cooked eggs whites is the way to go

bal·anced /ˈbælənst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bal-uhnst] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective

1. being in harmonious or proper arrangement or adjustment, proportion, etc.

I know what the word means but I meant what you mean when it comes to diet.

If by balanced you mean that it contains all essential nutrients in proper amounts and a diet then eating an all meat(including organs etc.) diet would be considered "balanced". I just don't get people when they say they need a "balanced" diet. No one ever explained wtf it means they just asume that if they eat a fruit and a vegetable with every meal their diet is somehow balanced. (END OF RANT) :D

^^^^^^^

scooping out the egg yolk and putting it in a seperate bowl, then cooking the egg white and putting the raw scooped out egg yolk on top of the cooked eggs whites is the way to go

What do you mean by 10 years on you? Does it mean 10 years older than me?

I know what you mean about seeing other peoples face's and getting depressed. It's been a long road and taken a lot of motivation for me to find my problems and get my acne under control - but it was definitely worth the effort. I only use soap & water too now (natural soap - just natural neem & propolis soap i think).

yes. Please get me those nutrition PDF's. Does taking 250 gms chicken breast(boiled) allright(from your experience) for 5 days in a week?(On my training days) along with some oily fish?. I dont like red meat.

My diet is as follows.

I'm not a doctor or an expert, but here's what i'd say about the diet (and this is just my opinion and from what i've read and understand - not everyone is exactly the same - you experience and tests may differ).

3 bananas in a morning is a bit too much in one go. Idealy you'd want some slow releasing carbs to kick in as you workout - sugar isn't great before a workout, but post workout your usually fine aslong as you don't go crazy. I'd go with porridge oats (if you get creamy ones they are fine in water rather than milk if your avoiding milk like me) and whey. I'd probably leave the creatine till post workout (unless it's a non training day). And if you did that i'd leave a little longer time between the food and the start of the workout (gives the carb's a chance to kick in).

Research and experience has shown that creatine is best absorbed when taken with a high-glycemic carbohydrate. I have also found that it is best absorbed post-workout. And since one should already be consuming high-glycemic carbs in one's post-workout drink, then creatine becomes an ideal ingredient to add to the drink.