Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
singingspz

lalala - my accutane silliness.

Alright, so here's my story...

I'm 15 (a freshman in high school) and have suffered from pretty mild acne on my face and mild to moderate acne on my chest and back for about 4 years, but nothing seems to work. I've tried countless over-the-counter and prescription drugs, and the only really changes I've seen have been for the worse. Finally, my dermatologist let me go on accutane. !!!!!!! I'm a little nervous, but hopefully this will all be worth it.

I started today on 10 mg of Sotret, which I think is a pretty decent dosage for my size (5' and 100 lbs) and should be on it for approximately 3-5 months.

Mainly I'm doing this log for myself to track my progress, but any support/suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Day 1

I took my first pill today at around 5:15 pm, but I think that I'm going to switch to morning because I've heard of some insomnia cases from taking it too late in the day =/ I'm soooo nervous about drying out because my skin already gets quite dry during the winter, but I'm very good at drinking lots of water throughout the day since I'm a singer, so hopefully it won't affect me TOO much (also since it's a low dose...). Right now my skin is actually not horribly broken out, so I'm hoping that I completely pass an IB and go right to the clear skin ! We'll see...

congrats, i know what it feels like to have tried everything but after your course hopefully you wont have to worry about acne again. your on a low dose so the side effects will probably be quite mild, and it should clear you up nicely. remember to be consistent, and read the stickies for tips on accutane, good luck ! :dance:

I agree about the insomnia, I'm one of those cases.

I've been sleeping pretty good though for the past couple days.

I get really dry in the winter too.

Just keep using your moisturiser and by the time the dryness kicks in it won't be a problem.

Welcome to the world of accutane!

Good luck on your course!

I'm in the same boat as you! Well almost...I'm currently on the 7th day of 20mg Roaccutane for mild acne. I'll be reading your journal.

Good luck on your course!

Thanks guys! It's nice to know that someone's actually paying attention to what I'm saying. :)

Day 7

SO DRY!!! Jeeze oh man!! I started to feel the dryness by day 3, and it's just gotten worse and worse! I have Aquaphor (and put it on every half hour) for my lips, but really can't do anything about my the rest of my face at all. I GOBBBBB on the Cetaphil moisturiser at night and had to stop using the Biore in the morning because it wasn't helping at all. I'm really upset because I don't like the Cetaphil as much since it makes me look very oily. But oh well. Blehhh.

Other than that, I haven't noticed a significant change in my skin - better or worse. I'm glad to see SOME sort of a side effect though, just to show that the accutane is doing SOMETHING.

Quick question, though. So I've read some logs saying that their skin is getting thinner on the accutane. Does this really happen? I thought it just pushed all of the gunk out (grosss), but does it do that by wearing your skin down, or what ? =/ Just curious!

Also, I have no idea if this is related at all...

But pretty much the second or third day on accutane, I started to get this very strange rash thing on my wrist. It doesn't itch, it's just kind of painful. Could this have anything to do with the pills?

I too have VERY dry skin especially in the winter. I learned a little trick from my derm though that really helps: instead of using lotion at night, spread on Vasaline Jelly. It is a little sticky until it soaks in, but you'll wake up in the morning and feel sooo much better. Good Luck! I'm starting my Accutane on Friday :)

I too have VERY dry skin especially in the winter. I learned a little trick from my derm though that really helps: instead of using lotion at night, spread on Vasaline Jelly. It is a little sticky until it soaks in, but you'll wake up in the morning and feel sooo much better. Good Luck! I'm starting my Accutane on Friday :)

I think I may just have to try that aveeno stuff because at this point I'm getting desperate !

Day 10

I FINISHED MY FIRST PACK!! YAY!!! Other than that, though, I'm pretty much the same. The area right above my right eyebrow just started to slightly break out, and I still have a lot of clogged pores/blackheads, but my skin definitely has started to feel very smooth. I've got some redmarks, but they'll fade soon enough.

And I can't even begin to describe how much I love Aquaphor at this point. My lips haven't gotten overly dry AT ALL since I started using it, and sometimes overnight I'll put it on the corners of my mouth as well so it doesn't get all flaky. Now it's just that whole DAYTIME thing that I'm worried about, drying out-wise.