Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul25

Will we ever be able to eat foods such as pizza, chocolate etc

You know what, chocolate has such a bad wrap and it shouldn't. The only reason why chocolate causes us to break out is because of the sugar and chemicals they add to it.

Cocoa in its raw organic form actually will help fight your acne! Unbelievable I know. I've been following a very healthy diet for months now, but in the last couple of months I've been having a hot chocolate almost every night, because I know it's helping my skin. In the last month my skin has been 100% clear and I've been drinking the hot chocolate all the way through it.

Organic raw cocoa powder tastes a little bitter so you need to sweeten it with something. I use organic agave syrup, which does not muck up your insulin levels so it won't cause you to break out. I also don't drink cows milk so I mix it with oat or hazelnut milk. It's not AS good as a real hot chocolate but it's pretty close! You can experiment with different natural sweeteners (like honey or xylitol) and different milk alternatives.

You can buy raw cocoa powder at health food stores. It's great for your skin because it has tones of anti-oxidants in it, 21 times more than green tea. It's also a great source of phytonutrients, aminos, protein, omega 3 (yay!), calcium, chromium, zinc, iron, copper, sulphur and potassium. It's also the best source of magnesium which is stress relieving (girls, this is why we crave choco at a certain time every month).

It's really important though to buy cocoa that is properly extracted to keep the nutrients in. Most dark chocolate and cocoa powder uses processing that damages the makeup of the cocoa. Look for something that is cold compressed, and preferably organic.

I'm a choco-holic, can you tell?? :D

Ive just eaten some Weetabix and am now in fear im going to break out from it. I hate feeling like this, i just want to be able to eat the food i want without been scared of the consequences.

Organic raw cocoa powder tastes a little bitter so you need to sweeten it with something. I use organic agave syrup, which does not muck up your insulin levels so it won't cause you to break out. I also don't drink cows milk so I mix it with oat or hazelnut milk. It's not AS good as a real hot chocolate but it's pretty close! You can experiment with different natural sweeteners (like honey or xylitol) and different milk alternatives.

If you think HFCS is bad, agave nectar is worse! Agave Nectar is essentially pure fructose! Fructose is really bad! It increases insulin resistance, increases triglycerides and LDL and VLDL levels, but does not raise HDL levels. It causes aging 7 times faster than regular sugar, and causes cross linking of collagen, more commonly associated with aging and wrinkles in the skin. It causes depletions of copper, and is a mineral chelator, it binds to minerals and carries them out of the body.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/jan/5/fructose.htm

Honey is at least 40% fructose.

Xylitol on the other hand is very good. I use it all the time. :)

If you think HFCS is bad, agave nectar is worse! Agave Nectar is essentially pure fructose! Fructose is really bad! It increases insulin resistance, increases triglycerides and LDL and VLDL levels, but does not raise HDL levels. It causes aging 7 times faster than regular sugar, and causes cross linking of collagen, more commonly associated with aging and wrinkles in the skin. It causes depletions of copper, and is a mineral chelator, it binds to minerals and carries them out of the body.

Ooh wow, thanks for that info, I thought because it was unprocessed and had a very low GI that it was okay! I'm definitely doing some research on this.

Acne Myth #8:

Certain foods cause acne.

Truth: No, fried food does not give you pimples. Scientists have been unable to find ANY substantial connection between diet and acne. Thus, enjoy eating all such foods which you have been afraid to eat (chocolate, French fries, etc.)

FOR OTHER ACNE MYTHS GO AND SEE THE FOLLOWING PAGE:

http://cosmeticskin.com/skin-AcneMyths.shtml

hope that helps!!!

Christine

No it doesn't help because it's untrue. The acne diet connection is not a myth.

I agree with you TOTATLY!!! I have started a yeast cleansing diet this week, also taking probiotics and yeast killing herbs. I know there is a connection, when I eat chocolate or strong tomatoes something happens to me internally I WILL get a zit. I think maybe the food I have eaten feeds the yeast and it in turn releases toxins.

At this point I have nothing to loose, but a couple zits!

Glad to hear someone else sees a connection with what we put in our bodies can affect our skin. ( For some people, not all).

Ooh wow, thanks for that info, I thought because it was unprocessed and had a very low GI that it was okay! I'm definitely doing some research on this.

I know, it's a common concept that if it's natural, it's healthy. But rattle snake venom and poison oak are natural too, lol I've learned a lot about fructose in the last couple months. before that, I would have thought agave nectar was good too. In fact I had bought some a couple years ago. I didn't really like it though, so I ended up not really using it, fortunately. But it's a very common misconception. In fact, pure chrystaline fructose is still sold in health food stores, it baffles me!

I had the habit of buying a chocolate from time to time, If I wanted healthier skin I had to cease this habitual consumption of chocolate. For me it helps just to continuously resist the urge. The human body is extremely adaptive, if you stay away from fatty/sugary foods the body will eventually just forget about them.

Once your acne has been reduced if not completely eliminated and your general health is good then of course you can, just keep glycemic foods(pizza, white breads, biscuits, sweets) to a minimum.

Acne Myth #8:

Certain foods cause acne.

Truth: No, fried food does not give you pimples. Scientists have been unable to find ANY substantial connection between diet and acne. Thus, enjoy eating all such foods which you have been afraid to eat (chocolate, French fries, etc.)

FOR OTHER ACNE MYTHS GO AND SEE THE FOLLOWING PAGE:

http://cosmeticskin.com/skin-AcneMyths.shtml

hope that helps!!!

Christine

Actually it's no longer a myth, the acne and diet connection has been proven.Awesome link thankx.I agree

link

I try but i cant for now stop eating sometimes chocolates, red meat, bread, milk, coffee and sometimes a beer... I want to but it is has been very difficult :(

You cold try to replace them with healthy alternatives

Best of luck.

I eat eveything except oranges, I also don't think types of food case acne but oranges give me headaches..eat what you want. Do'nt live your life without enjoying food! it's too yummy.

I know, it's a common concept that if it's natural, it's healthy. But rattle snake venom and poison oak are natural too, lol I've learned a lot about fructose in the last couple months. before that, I would have thought agave nectar was good too. In fact I had bought some a couple years ago. I didn't really like it though, so I ended up not really using it, fortunately. But it's a very common misconception. In fact, pure chrystaline fructose is still sold in health food stores, it baffles me!

Yeah I am reading a book that also says how bad agave nectar is for you. In the book he says that the only 2 good sugars are barley malt and rice malt.

Why dermatologists still saying that:

food does not interferes with acne and supplements are more important than avoiding some stuff?

i know that our body its like a motor from a car, everything we dump on it will contribute to degradable the machine more quickly but...are this really necessary? always avoiding so many things just because we THINK it will make us worst? Or are we exaggerating?

Once you've been eating well for awhile I think you can indulge occasionally.

I had 2 cupcakes last month, nothing happened, except that I enyoyed it :D

I'm holding out for when I'm like 40 or 50 and acne is history and I can eat crap

again. That is, if I even still have the taste for it :lol:

always avoiding so many things just because we THINK it will make us worst? Or are we exaggerating?

To be honest at times i think we really are exaggerating, some of the foods you see mentioned on this board to be avoided are a joke. I think we are just in fear that a food could cause us to breakout, and we just always avoid it then, without really knowing if it was a cause.

As people are seeing results by changing there diet and cutting out certain foods, therefore improving there skin does this mean we will never be able to eat foods such as pizza, chocolate etc? Will we get to the age of 60 and still be in fear of eating foods because we think it might cause a breakout?

I havnt got my acne under control yet, but i completely feel it is diet related. But i just cant think i can always go on avoiding foods, im never going to feel i can beat acne if im going to put aload of work in to get my diet good, and then ruin it by eating some bad food.

well I definately agree diet and acne are related..

I try to eat the healthy way.. but I do sneak some cake and chocolate ever now and then...

I dont think you'll have to abadon them totally... but just be temperate in the amounts and frequency...

always avoiding so many things just because we THINK it will make us worst? Or are we exaggerating?

To be honest at times i think we really are exaggerating, some of the foods you see mentioned on this board to be avoided are a joke. I think we are just in fear that a food could cause us to breakout, and we just always avoid it then, without really knowing if it was a cause.

It's not exactly that we are exaggerating. It's that some people insist on overreacting to everything. Even though every time someone asks if something is bad for acne plenty of people respond that they do not have an issue with that food, there are still those that panic about it.

Don't include me in that 'we.'

As people are seeing results by changing there diet and cutting out certain foods, therefore improving there skin does this mean we will never be able to eat foods such as pizza, chocolate etc? Will we get to the age of 60 and still be in fear of eating foods because we think it might cause a breakout?

I havnt got my acne under control yet, but i completely feel it is diet related. But i just cant think i can always go on avoiding foods, im never going to feel i can beat acne if im going to put aload of work in to get my diet good, and then ruin it by eating some bad food.

Paul, Your pretty much spot on with everything, I totally can see where your coming from & what you have said is all true, I have been in exactly the same boat. I have trialed & errored foods for the past 8 years & believe it or not, there will even be some fruits & vegetables that can cause your acne or some other related skin condition, nevermind your weetabix. In my experience weetabix will break you out & if you have poured milk over them, well forget about it. In fact I can safely say there ISN'T one breakfast cereal that won't make you breakout. Forget cereals, bread, toast, buns, all variety milks, fry-ups etc. Your basically left with nothing to choose from for breakfast. Me personally have had too eat for the past 5 or so years every morning, day in day out granny smith apples & tinned pineapple in own juice for breakfast. Nothing else for the past 5 years, every morning & its hell but a sure fire way I won't have too suffer the mental torture of breaking out. Where a doomed species for which some deserve to perish and choke on our own $200-barrel oil but some don't. Pizza & chocolate???... There gone for life man, forget them, you need to start worrying about the "healthy" foods because they can cause an even more severe reaction than junk food, case in point, swapping dairy milk for "healthy" soya milk. You just don't want too go there, unless you like being in a dark place. My lifes hell due to the limited amount of foods I can consume & the thing is, even at the age of 30, 40+, I know for a fact I would still breakout if I went back to my old days of eating junk. I have this diet for life & when I get too heaven, god better have some answers.

Why dermatologists still saying that:

food does not interferes with acne and supplements are more important than avoiding some stuff?

i know that our body its like a motor from a car, everything we dump on it will contribute to degradable the machine more quickly but...are this really necessary? always avoiding so many things just because we THINK it will make us worst? Or are we exaggerating?

They don't want to tamper with people's eating habits probably because they think it requires to much devotion. However there is a movement among derms who spread awareness of the acne diet link, like these

Thanks apprenant! This was the first time i have ever read something about diet being related to acne. I was a bit agnostic about this cause all the docs i have seen said the same, food and acne arent related. Even a friend of my brother who recently became dermatologist said to me that acne and food arent related...So i stopped my diet again and i started to eat normally, not abusing some aliments but eat whatever i want. For now i haven't notice anything worst on my skin, it is normal. for me its much easy to stop smoking than avoiding so many foods...

once step of a time...i am sure that i will avoid many things in the future like red meat, some milk, bread, chocolate, cofee, etc.. but for now i will continue to feel that it isnt the food but the mind who provoke acne...

p.s. i hope everyone respect my opinion as i do...

I live by the 90/10 rule - meaning 90% of the food I eat is for my health, the other 10% is for the soul. I have dark chocolate (with sugar in it!) 2 or 3 times a week and my skin is still clear, and I eat bad food every now and again which is fine. Just don't feel guilty about it because this will make you stressed and stress is a big cause of acne!

Are oats supposed to be bad? I've been eating cooking oats with oat milk and water, LSA, coconut flakes and maple syrup for breakfast every morning and my skin went from really bad to 100% clear.

One more thing- If anybody could point me in the right direction to information on why agave is bad, I'd love those resources, thanks!

I've had my acne under control for about 2 years. I don't eat 100% healthfully all the time - I still eat pizza now and then, and as for chocolate - I eat it just about everyday. :) My secret is eating a mostly vegan, high-nutrient diet and at least one serving daily of blended leafy greens. If I want to eat some junk now and then, I do. Everyone is different though, and some might be ultra-sensitive to junk, but this is what works for me. :)

Pizza and chocolate isn't all bad. You can't compare real pizza and chocolate with Pizza Hut and Hershey's.

It's all about the ingredients.

I love them pizza's they ate in jesus's day when acne was non existant.

Ohhh damn, they didn't eat pizza's in them days.