Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who has ever been to a psychologist and found that they were genuinely helped in relation to acne and scarring problems? I just had my first session and I feel like it was a big mistake; this psychologist was suitably educated, but unfortunately totally ignorant to the concerns of an acne sufferer; has anyone felt this?

i haven't felt that, but the psychologist is not a good one. why don't you change her/him.

most acne / acne scars seem worse in the eyes of the beholder than in actuality.

Psychologists are bullshit. Pyschology has no more truth behind it than drunk voodoo priests throwing dead chicken heads into a bucket and trying to figure out the meaning of life through this. Fucking drives me insane. Psychologists have one of the highest suicide rate of ANY profesion, don't you think that means the have MORE problems than you? Don't ask the morons for help, figure it out yourself, or ask your friends for advice.

Let me explain further: I'm clear now, but I'm dealing with scarring issues. I'm getting close to thirty, and I know for a fact that had I not had to deal with this stuff, that my life would have been very different today. I have always known this implicitly, but I guess I just hoped that things would resolve themselves. I guess I'm just coming to the realization that things are what they are, and that missed opportunities are long gone. I just seem to be getting really angry (1-2 years) lately, and it just keeps on getting worse. Even though I'm clear, it just feels like I'm going to be fighting till the day I die. Sorry if I'm being vague.

so i`m standing there talking to my friend who`s just seen a psychologist...he said to me they only ask you 1 fucking question....what is your relationship with your mother? seriously, they always go back to Freud, thats all they know, they aren`t even proper mind managers, psychiatrists are the proper guys not psychologists. I wouldn`t piss on a psychologist if he was on fire

Duh, psychiatrists are the ones who deal with mental and emotional health issues directly by treating patients.

Psychologists conduct studies and research to indirectly help patients.

Its best to get things straight in your own mind Arcadian, paying someone who doesn`t know you personally is fraught with difficulties IMO ...especially a psychologist!

Dohdamnnotagain: Curious...what are your sources on the statistic of suicide? You can’t debunk somethings you don’t understand…psychology is a medical field therefore follows the scientific method like any other medical field. Psychotherapy has helped the public understand about the most powerful human organ = the mind on things like sleep, sex, dream, etc. and has enabled psychologist to sorts out pyschos like yourself so they don't serve on civic duties…thank goodness!…

Thanks to all those who responded; I guess time will tell how effective this stuff is. I will keep everyone posted. As I see it, the key problem with psychology, and indeed life in general are the concepts of translation/understanding; I don't think what one has been through can ever be fully translated/understood by another. I guess the closest we get are these boards, because we all share this commonality (acne). By the way the difference between a psychologist/psychiatrist is that the latter has studied the workings of the mind aswell as traditional medicine, just as a doctor would. Psychiatrists can prescribe medicine, but a psychologist can't.

Thanks again guys, and take care!

LOL, maybe he should let someone perform a test by beating him round the head until he gets brain damage.

But how can damage to that 'hunk of meat' in his head affect his MIND you ask.

Well he'll find out once he wakes up from his beating biggrin.gif

Honestly, I find the fact that you are totally certain of psychologys truth...a little more frightening that my 'Philosophising'. Materialism is certaintly one of the most stupid, ingnorant and narrow minded concepts. Believe if you like, I couldn't give a rats ass...

Ah, now it comes down to defending my personal character...funny how you freak out when somebody is different from you and looks at things in another light. You both, are quite low to attack my personality, when you don't know anything about me. I assure you, you'll need alot more luck than me, friends. It is YOU who is assuming, not me.

Psychologists do not think chemical imbalances in the brain force us to commit our actions but rather the imbalances actually influence our actions.

If someone were depressed they would definitely be more likely to commit suicide then someone who was happy. The mind and the world can be very influential. Where you grew up, what genes you have, how tall you are etc. all influence who you are. Imagine if you were born in a different country. This could change your entire life just because of something you can’t control. We really aren’t as much of an individual as we would like to think sometimes simply because so many things influence who we are.

A chemical imbalance in the mind can influence someone to kill but not force someone too. For example, people who are addicted to drugs can stop anytime they want. They can’t do it very easily because of the chemical imbalance in their body urging them to continue.

Psychology is the science that deals with mental processes and behavior. They get this knowledge through empirical evidence and statistics which can actually quite accurately predict the behavior of someone. It will never be 100% correct but can be very close.

I think you are very reasonable, Ace. I did not explain myself properly, and when I have the time I will. You have it right, of course or surroundings influence us, and or physcial apperance has the power to influence us. Yes, if you go by the 'chemical imbalance' theory, and take it for granted, you must dismiss religion or spirituality. I myself, am not religious, yet, I am inclined to believe in the spiritual side of every being, and I beleive the spirt of a being has much more influence than the physical part.

Since pyschology primarily addresses the physical side, and theoretical practices often lead to more problems than good. One other thing to consider is the drugs psycholgists often perscribe, do alot more harm than good. I have seen many people get messed up by both legal and illegal drugs.

I still gotta say, I totally disagree with pychology, no matter how certain others are.

Well,.....I have just had my second session and it dosen't seem like it is really going to go anywhere. Our views are just too contradictory. My psych argues that my scarring is not severe enough in-itself to be affecting me as much as I argue it does/has. Her argument is that I am body dismorphic; this means she concedes there is scarring there, and I'm not imagining it, but, ultimately how I feel about it is irrational. This simple categorization comes no where near to fully broaching the problem as far as I am concerned. It is simple cause and effect; she argues that body dismorphia is the primary cause of my problems. I am certain there is only one cause and that is the acne and scarring. She argues that in her "objective" opinion the scarring is virtually insignificant and should not have any adverse affects on one's self image. I argued that her opinion is no where near objective (unbiased; from a neutral standpoint), and it is rather extremely "subjective" (proceeding from her own individual consciousness), and therefore no more unbiased than my opinion. This is what it all boils down to.

You are saying that the mind is seperate from the body. How dou you explain then, someone who suffers damage to their brain and their mind is adversly affected.

Well,.....I have just had my second session and it dosen't seem like it is really going to go anywhere. Our views are just too contradictory. My psych argues that my scarring is not severe enough in-itself to be affecting me as much as I argue it does/has. Her argument is that I am body dismorphic; this means she concedes there is scarring there, and I'm not imagining it, but, ultimately how I feel about it is irrational. This simple categorization comes no where near to fully broaching the problem as far as I am concerned. It is simple cause and effect; she argues that body dismorphia is the primary cause of my problems. I am certain there is only one cause and that is the acne and scarring. She argues that in her \"objective\" opinion the scarring is virtually insignificant and should not have any adverse affects on one's self image. I argued that her opinion is no where near objective (unbiased; from a neutral standpoint), and it is rather extremely \"subjective\" (proceeding from her own individual consciousness), and therefore no more unbiased than my opinion. This is what it all boils down to.

don't waste a friggen second with psychs, the idea that an individual can understand and advise on another individual's experience without having had that experience is a joke. It is absolutely not a science, you'd be better off at a fortune teller, at least that might be entertaining (and cost less). biggrin.gif

Thank you Charly!

Oh, and Animal, I can't even begin to explain all what I believe in. Just look at it this way, I have set viewpoint, and although right now I can not explain to you an entire philosphy, I still am firm in belief of mind over matter. Believe what you will, I do not seek to be liked, thus I will not alter my point of view.

By the way Arcadian, please take mine, and others advice. Psychology will not solve your problems. The only person who can solve, or alter what your life is like - is sadly, you. You have the power to decide to alter something, pehaps at first on a gradient, but you have the power. It might sound odd, and hard, but it is truth.

You know what? You need to chill out...=; Stop tracking this thread like a hound in search of someone to agree with you, you hypocrite...
...funny how you freak out when somebody is different from you and looks at things in another light.
You both, are quite low to attack my personality, when you don't know anything about me.