Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Today is my first day on tane. 110lb (50kg), prescribed to take 20mg of Amneesten (sp?) twice daily. Had mild - moderate acne since 12, went to dermatolagist at 22, was prescribed mino, bp, and tazorac, did wonders but stopped for some reason and my face slowly exploded. Dumb me, didn't seek help until it got really bad, and am left with a shit load of scars. got me some more mino and bp, and laid it off after taking some hormonal balancing/ liver cleansing goodies from an eastern medicine guy. Face was doing okay with occasional facials and things were going well until a few months ago. Again, it happened pretty slowly, and being the laid back person I am with my appearance (or used to be), didn't seek help until a month ago.

Here I am now. woohoo. It'll take time, but I want to feel pretty again. Staying at home and slowly turning into a recluse is not okay.

DAY 1

Took my first pill with some quiche and vit E supplement. I feel dizzy but I think it's because I only slept an hour due to insomnia. Will invest in some glucosamine in the near future.

I'm gonna lay off the bcp as well. Was clearing up nicely thanks to the antibiotics before I taking accutane and then started taking tri-sprintec, got another blow of cystics on my relatively clear back and used to be clear under chin region as well as some on the chin and temple. These seem to be less painful but MUCH MUCH more stubborn. they don't go away.. don't come to a head. @$E%^%[email protected]$$^$*&(&&@!##%$!

I have 3 spots under my chin, 6 or 7 spots around my face, and a bunch of clogged pores on forehead (which I can care less of, I'll take those over cystic anyday). Have tons of red marks on both cheeks.

Have random questions for anyone who might be reading this out there-

why does oil based gel caps smell fishy? I bought fish oil a while ago (waste of money for me..) and thought the fishy smell was from the fish, but my accutane and vit E also smells fishy.. could it be the glycerin?

Also, should I lay off vitamin A fortified foods such as cereal and soymilk?

I'm gonna miss beer. :(

Welcome to the .org juin. I hope your experience with accutane will be positive. As to your question about Vit A rich foods, I don't think you have anything to worry about. With all the reseach I've done the only warning I can find is to stay away from Vit A supplements. I think the fishy smell is from the gelatine capsules. My Vat E capsules smell too. Feel free to ask any questions and good luck. Jules

Thanks Jules! I'll keep on eating my cheerios, soymilk and occasional cheese without fear <3.

DAY 3

I guess I'm experiencing the quiet before the kapow of IB. All my spots are drying up little by little. Got two new spots today - one pustule under the chin and one comedone on my forehead, near the hairline, but I think those might be caused by the OCM method. Been noticing spots the night after I do it.

As for side effects:

Yesterday and the day before I had some headaches, but those are no longer there. dry eyes. joint pain in fingers.

Yesterday, I visited the scar forum to figure out how to avoid scarring/ take care of the old ones once I'm off the drug. That forum is no good for my mental health. everytime I see pictures, I get a mini-panic attack. I got another one while on the escalator because some weirdo left all these pock mark like dents on the side. And then another one came while I was looking at my bandaid. those little circulation holes reminded me of icepick scars. Other than that I'm in a pretty good mood.

DAY 7

Nothing special to report. one new spot on forhead, two brewing on my left chin. All other spots are drying up but mostly still there.

the red marks and scarring from pre-tane though.. makes it look like someone chewed my face and spit it back out. last time when this happened I had the luxury of getting n-lite laser which got rid of red marks but since I'm tane that's out of the option. hrm.. maybe I should've.

I started taking joint supplements (rivivex) but am kind of worried that it's all fatty acids. also trying to find a good moisturizer. face is flakey, and does not seem to like jojoba oil.

DAY 10

I caved and had a beer. Only had two/three sips, but my body said that was enough and now I feel like crawling into a ball and hibernating for a few weeks.

Had the mistake of going to sephora afterwards (that place is opened late!), caught my erupted side in the mirror as I was passing by one, and not so happy right now. Also, whole face is very flakey and red. still looking for the moisturizer. I've made a pact to myself to de-hermit, and now I don't feel like I have energy to meet anyone.

oh btw, face is okay except for this one painful + huge spot on my left side. I put some icy wet towel on it during the day, but didn't help much it seems. it's been very persistent, and I don't want to put anything that's too strong such as sulfur spot treatment on it even though that might do the trick. Afraid that it might leave a huge scar.

let it be.. let it be...

i know a few people that drank booze while taking tane and they said they felt fine...ive been on it for about a week and half and drank a little maybe twice and felt the same. I bought some milk thistle (good for your liver...also good to take before you know youre going to have a wild drinking night! helps with the hangover...) and ive been taking it (when i can remember). im not to worried about the booze. just thought i would share.

Thanks Vinylhearts for the input! I think part of my problem is that I have very very low tolerance, and it fluctuates a lot depending on my body condition. I'll be taking a sip or two of beer now and then, but I think that's where I'll be stopping for a while.

DAY 15

face was doing alright in terms of acne until a couple of days ago. I smothered some vaseline and aquaphor on my burning/itching/flaking/dry chin and got some new bumps the next day. Also developed some new bumps on both sides of face as well as two pustules. Don't know if it's the cleanser I'm testing out (DHC deep cleansing oil) or the moisturizer (L'Occitane's radiance cream). If not the products, this is the start of my IB.

Other than that, I feel like my visions a bit blurry. have dry eyes, dry skin mostly on my face and back. oh and the RED FACE! looks like :wub: without all the hearts and smile. I've been moisturizing the hell with that pot pouri-esque smelling cream, and that helps a bit, but I still look like I have a bad tan. All over redness is okay but what's really confusing is when I get red everywhere on my face except near my eyes. Does anyone experience the same thing?

Had bloody stools for a couple of days, but no more. ooh, and constipation. mmm.

On the other hand, I read somewhere in one of these forums that a possible side effect from tazorac/retin-a is depression. This might explain why I was such a mess before accutane. did the whole taz thing for a month and a half or so. Or maybe it was because my red marks got darker/ more pronounced after taz that I was the way I was. On top of that, flakey skin was making my make-up self look like Freddy's daughter.

Hey Juin good luck with accutane,

I know what you mean about redness on the face but not the eyes. Alot of the redness is from existing red marks from a previous breakout, but I never got spots near the eyes so its never gone red there. Even when i flush (which thankfully doesnt happen much) my eyes area doesnt go red (at least I dont think so)

Hey juin.

Sounds like your doing okay. I've heard the facial redness referred to as the "tane flush". I've seen pics of it in the gallery. If your face is really red I wonder if part of it is the products you are using. I'm no expert but found that the non-comedogenic, sensitive skin, fragrance free products left my face the least aggravated/irritated. For example, I used some Burt's Bees lip shimmer that had peppermint oil in it. It ended up burning my lips. They cracked and split and it was painful. Lesson learned the hard way. Jules ;)

Thanks JoeBloggs, PedroAlexander and Jules for the support and comments! My face is doing much much better now. less red and less irritated.

DAY 21

I think my IB has started. for sure. everything seems to be coming out. The past few days, my skin was awfully flakey and really coarse because all my pores were clogged and stuff inside was sticking out. On top of that skin was so dry and red that even make up didn't help. One frustrated night, I got my extractor out and started scraping the bumps on the areas that didn't have any active acne. and then proceeded to use a scrub on my face, twice. the clogged pores rubbing against my hands were far more exfoliating than the scrubs on my face.

Well, I think I've figured it out. Found out that my body lotion (aveeno daily moisture) is non-comedogenic, and since it's fragrance/paraben free I've started putting it on my face. But what really really helped me was changing cleansers. I've been toying with oil cleansing and the DHC cleansing oils, and found that my skin gets super red afterwards. Anyways, now I got me a good, cheap reliable cleansing oil from a local japanese supermarket and the results are AMAZING. My face isn't so red/flakey/dry/bumpy anymore! love it, love it, love it.

As for spots,got 3 big painful lumpies on my left side, and two on my right chin. Also some non inflamed spots all over my forehead.

Dry eyes persist, lips aren't so bad today. something in my booty aches. bone maybe? there's so much fat+muscle there that it's hard to tell.

Hi! I am on Day 9 and am also experiencing a lot of redness. My acne has seemed to calm down, but the damn redness makes my face look awful! I've heard it just takes a long time for the redness to disappear :(. If I learn any tips, I'll let you know. Good luck with everything!

Your welcome!

I got a question to make Juin, didn't u get one cleansing oil prescribed by your dermatologist?

cause i had...however i am very happy that u found a good one compatible with your skin...

i had lucky this time, all the ones that i received in the past by the dermatologist they all were rejected by my skin in some way, specially because they always made me break out...

Well best wishes for your treatment ;)

onaccutane : Thanks for stopping by. Isn't the redness awful? make up helps but not too much in covering it up. It's a bit better now.

pedroalexandre: hey! good to hear from you again. my derm didn't prescribe me any regimen stuff, just accutane. there's plenty of good otc products, and I think that's why.

DAY 30

My face is doing fine. My breakouts last time was a mixture of hormonal and my massaging olive oil on my face. when will I ever learn. :snooty: FACE DOES NOT LIKE OLIVE OIL OR CASTOR OIL! So, I don't think I've goten actual IB yet.

My nose hates me though. most of the sebum plugs/whiteheads are gone except my nose is covered in blackheads for a while, and I freaked out because they weren't going anywhere, and thought that they were going to permanently enlarge my pores. So instead of exfoliating, I squeezed them, and now even after two days, I have red gaping holes in places of those black heads on my nose. f-ing ugly.

other than that, I love love love how my face feels. Yeah, I'm still trying to get rid of the old beak outs but overall it's not dry but normal! also, love love love that I don't h ave to take a shower everyday. LOVE that I can shower at night and not worrying about my hair turning into an oil slick by the following afternoon.

Went to my derm yesterday. I really love her and feel lucky that I have a good one. She was happy with my progress and is going to bump me up to 50mg/day (so alternate between 40mg and 60 mg a day).

DAY 35

I think my oil is coming back. My lips aren't as dry as it was and I was slightly shiny today despite the fact that I washed my face with water, but I don't have any new spots, just the ones that are disappearing.

two things that I noticed as a plus side effect from accutane (besides the acneless face and less oil production) is that I used to get these sometimes itchy bumps here and there on my body right after I got out of the shower and disappeared within 10 minutes. This happened since I was like 12 and no doctor or derm was able to explain it since they never saw it, but I no longer get those. Also, I always had dry lips despite the fact that the rest of my face and hair was greasy, and the second day of accutane, I noticed that my lips weren't chapped. Maybe all my body needed was some vit. A supplements.

The first time I took 60mg, I got a rash in two places and an eczema patch on the back of my left hand. Yesterday was my second day on 60mg and nothing special happened.

Hey Juin, Just to let you know, somewhere around day 30 - 50 on my course I stopped getting dry skin and lips. It was really bad for me at the start of my course but then when i got a month or so in my skin stopped being so dry and actually got me worried that it wasnt working, but then I went on to 60 mg and then a couple of days after that my skin is as dry as ever!

thanks joebloggs and jules. lovin the support <3

DAY 38

I think my oil is kind of coming back. don't mind it. I can still shower at night and look clean the next day. I'm also using this greaseless days to experiment with clay based hair cleaners since shampoos are what got me into this mess..

the other night, I was taking a shower after massaging my face with cleansing oil, and noticed my skin peeling on the left side of my face. I had a real bad "double-headed monster" that took about three weeks to disappear on that side.. and the next morning, the whole left side of my face was a red blotch. yuck.

face off!

DAY 41(?)

ugh. I have dry patches under my eyes. gross gross gross. Was it my eye cream? I only started applying it because I was so sick and tired of my probably tane induced dark circles. Didn't feel like applying foundation on my eyelids and under eyes like the ladies in the infomercials. yuck. but I guess it's all part of the aging process. sigh.

now that oil is coming back I think I'm getting some acne. two brewing on my chin. had two that came two days ago and shrunk. why is my oil coming back? I increased my dosage. I take my pill with fatty foods.

I was at a bar last night, and a very cute bartender gave me a free drink. There's only so much make up could cover up. I had dark circles under my eyes. and lots of scarring. guess the dark lighting helped. anyways, my point is there's no need to feel ugly!

this whole relearning how to interact with strangers though, it's gonna be a tough one. definitely should have taken tane a while ago. might have saved my personality.

DAY 46

spots on chin are still there, not even budging, and got another one on my jawline.

got my first bloody snot yesterday as well as a stye on the left eye. very tired and heels are very very soar every morning.

on a different note, my hormones are making me a mess...

DAY 51

freaking out a bit. Food/my mouth tasted really weird all day. kind of metallic.. but not quite. tane induced? I don't know. Also, headache is pretty bad. Could be the tane but could be a lot of other things such as dehydration, fatigue, stress... Obviously, I'm not too happy these days.

broke out some on the jawline and chin and the one on my right temple grew to become quite beastly looking. sexy.

DAY 57

So.. the seven or so breakouts I had are still there. They're shrinking but it's taking for---ever. plus I got a new one on the other side of my chin. why why why... could be hormonal, could be make up. I've been experimenting with an old tube of laura mercier because I was so frustrated with the color of the blemish balm cream not matching my skin tone. Anyways, as far as I know could be both.

oddly, I never noticed that my acne was mainly hormonal until on tane. I did get an extra spot here and there when the time came but never suspected hormones to be the main culprit. I mean, I have 28-day clockwork cycles, so I'm ruling out PCO or any of that. Could this mean that it's my liver... argh. why do you hate me so. definitely going to start taking DMI once I'm off tane. oh.. and I did mention in another post that I think a particular kind of detergent in a shampoo/facewash ruined my skin slowly. well, the symptoms were definitely not dermititis but more hormonal. I was browsing through the terressential website and found something about plant based detergents that are used in a lot of "natural" products could change hormones. I'm sure this doesn't make everyone get acne. I just happen to be the more sensitive luckier individuals.

Hey Juin , what do you mean when you say 28 day clockwork cycles?

Its just that I find that I always have moments of relative clarity and then Id breakout badly, then have a week of relative clarity again then breakout. Kind of like a cycle.

Ive always suspected my acne is hormonal but does it have anything to do with that ^^^?

Also that metallic taste was probably blood (just a guess), from a midnight nosebleed or something, I find myself waking up and swallowing blood and then in the morning I'll be spitting bucket loads of blood out . Eurgh

Hope your well anyway!

Hey JoeBloggs,

thanks for your input!

I was talking about my menstrual cycle. sorry if this was too much info. Can't help talking about it here since it is all related to my acne. hormone levels change depending on where the female is in the cycle. I'm not sure if guys have some internal cycle where their hormone level fluctuate. I used to joke about it with a guy friend of mine whenever he was acting a bit catty-. rah.

yeah, hopefully the metallic taste was blood. I wouldn't want it to be the alternative which is brain tumor. I've seen somewhere on tv that that could cause change in taste. Well, i have been bleeding a lot through the nose.

DAY 58

I have a massive headache. three of the eight beauties on my face are almost gone and I couldn't help but to gently push some pus out of the one that was about to burst. I put some neosporin on it and covered it up with a bandaid so hopefully it'll be alright by tomorrow or else I think I'm gonna half to skip my language class. I'm so tired...all the time.

I was looking at my old passport photos because I needed a new one, and it made me sad to see how clear and healthy looking my skin was. I mean I always had acne but it never really bothered me that much because it wasn't so bad and I thought that I would grow out of it. I waited and waited and the day never came, or if it did, it only lasted for a month. Though I never thought my acne bothered me too much, my parents telling me constantly that I should go see a dermatologist and commenting on my skin in my teen years definitely didn't do any good to my self image. I should've just told them to shove it, and lived my life with more self esteem.

DAY 66

The left side of my chin currently has five biggies. keep getting a new one every three days or so. the one on the right side is still there just hanging out.

Despite this new wave of break outs, I was having a good week, and hoped to put some happy thoughts to my blog BUT I got my third set of accutane prescription today and found out that my insurance plan only covers 1000 bucks of prescription and I maxed out and ended up paying over 400 bucks for sixty pills of sostret. WTFFFFFFFFF.

DOES anyone know what the cheapest generic is and where to get it legally? I live in the nyc area and have access to a costco as well as cvs, walgreens, duane reade and smaller pharmacies.