Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mikeishere

giving it a go-log

My mum bought me some products as my only option my hospital gave me was accutane so i thought id give this a shot

Names mike

Age 18

Britain

The main thing which bothers me is the cyst on my nose I hope to god it gets rid of it

My products are

Garnier skin naturals-pure cleansing wipes.

Quinoderm creame 5 -says 5% Benzoyl Peroxide is in it with Sulphate Bp 0.5%

Garnier skin naturals-pure a daily treatment moisturiser

Ive swilled my face with warm water, used 1 of the wipes all over my face, its been about 10 minutes as I thought I should wait a few minutes now im off to put maybe half a finger of the BP all over my face then wait a while before the moisturiser.

Hope im getting the timing etc right. Ill do pictures...

Any tips on the timeing inbetween them or the products I havee??

Cya soon! Sorry if wrong section I think its rightt!!

Two pictures of start

Close ups so warning?

face front

side face-nose

I will have to shave :P , been meaning to but didnt want to upset it, found it quite hard to put the bp on with it above the mouth anyway.

So yep thats it for now.

Hi there! It looks like the cyst on your nose is already a lot smaller than when you first posted. That antibiotic you took may have helped in that regard. Do use your products religiously, twice daily and be consistent in sticking to your regimen. I cannot find the ingredients list for those products so I don't know if they are good or not.

I believe the "Simple" line in the UK is one very good one that many UKers here use with success.

Good luck! :)

Hey~

Your skin doesn’t look bad in the pictures at all, and that cyst on your nose looks better than when you initially posted, so I’m hoping this regimen will clear you up and keep your skin looking good! You mentioned you have a cleanser, BP 5%, and moisturizer that your mom bought. You said: “Ive swilled my face with warm water, used 1 of the wipes all over my face, its been about 10 minutes as I thought I should wait a few minutes now im off to put maybe half a finger of the BP all over my face then wait a while before the moisturiser.

Any tips on the timeing inbetween them or the products I havee??â€

I think a few tips I could give you from experience would be:

1 – For the Regimen, make sure you read the Regimen section of this web site because it explains in very good detail what you should do, how much product to use, timing of product usage, any problems you might encounter, etc. That should get you off to a good start and feeling secure you’re doing it correctly. There are lots of tips and good answers to questions there as well.

2 – If you have just begun using this BP regimen, and you stated you were using half a finger of BP, you are probably using too much too quickly, especially since your BP is 5% and not 2.5%. I made the mistake of thinking because I was using BP for years I could just go right into almost half a finger of 2.5% and wow was I wrong! I totally dried out my skin and had to back off, let it adjust, and begin again slowly. When you read all the directions in that Regimen section, you will see you have to slowly increase the amount you use, especially with the higher % you have.

3 – Regarding your nose cyst, make sure you read all the helpful tips in the section on severe acne, cysts and nodules, to see if there is anything you haven’t done yet that might help to finally clear it up once and for all! I know my doc said some people swear by icing them and yet others find warm water soaks clear theirs up! Crazy skin problems :wall:

Good luck!

Hi there! It looks like the cyst on your nose is already a lot smaller than when you first posted. That antibiotic you took may have helped in that regard. Do use your products religiously, twice daily and be consistent in sticking to your regimen. I cannot find the ingredients list for those products so I don't know if they are good or not.

I believe the "Simple" line in the UK is one very good one that many UKers here use with success.

Good luck! :)

Hey~

Your skin doesn’t look bad in the pictures at all, and that cyst on your nose looks better than when you initially posted, so I’m hoping this regimen will clear you up and keep your skin looking good! You mentioned you have a cleanser, BP 5%, and moisturizer that your mom bought. You said: “Ive swilled my face with warm water, used 1 of the wipes all over my face, its been about 10 minutes as I thought I should wait a few minutes now im off to put maybe half a finger of the BP all over my face then wait a while before the moisturiser.

Any tips on the timeing inbetween them or the products I havee??â€

I think a few tips I could give you from experience would be:

1 – For the Regimen, make sure you read the Regimen section of this web site because it explains in very good detail what you should do, how much product to use, timing of product usage, any problems you might encounter, etc. That should get you off to a good start and feeling secure you’re doing it correctly. There are lots of tips and good answers to questions there as well.

2 – If you have just begun using this BP regimen, and you stated you were using half a finger of BP, you are probably using too much too quickly, especially since your BP is 5% and not 2.5%. I made the mistake of thinking because I was using BP for years I could just go right into almost half a finger of 2.5% and wow was I wrong! I totally dried out my skin and had to back off, let it adjust, and begin again slowly. When you read all the directions in that Regimen section, you will see you have to slowly increase the amount you use, especially with the higher % you have.

3 – Regarding your nose cyst, make sure you read all the helpful tips in the section on severe acne, cysts and nodules, to see if there is anything you haven’t done yet that might help to finally clear it up once and for all! I know my doc said some people swear by icing them and yet others find warm water soaks clear theirs up! Crazy skin problems :wall:

Good luck!

might do a picture update tonight, nothing changed really apart from the cyst getting larger?-more bulky. as usual.

few things popping up which the camera wont show etc.

Its bright red now and some of the areas in my picture which was red have turned into yellow spots I dont know if I should leave them or pop them, Ill try leave them and put the stuff all over my face again tonight.

The cyst though :( grrr why has it gone bigger and mega red I hope it goes down I wont be going to the football saturday if its like this which means first home game I miss in 3 and a half years.

I found two of my products online but but included the 3rd, so if anyone knows of them will you tell me if they are any good please?

About to use the wipes etc in 5 minutes

Will update with a picture in this post-

So here I am

update

Garnier deep cleanising wipes.-cleanses and unclogs pores.

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/product_26...ream-5-50g.html

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details....ationid=1017970

Basically the same today, I used the wipes and Bp before going out for around a hour, about two hours ago and didnt use the moisturiser I got back in and my skin was flaking I think below my mouth.

So I dont know if that means its to strong for me at the moment or its allright , cant tell maybe.

Ive noticed for past 2-3 days whenever i move my face to open my mouth it feels all tight so yep. Thats the update

I didnt use any yerstaday because if would of made me not go to the football from making my nose all red and swelled up more than usual can only just about force myself to go as it is.

Used it tonight though so back we go its about the same really, picture tomorrow night possibly.

face just feels bit itchy.

Hey there again! I was checking back hoping to see some cyst progress but unfortunately you said it wasn't getting any better! :confused: Usually these things come and eventually go, but you have had that for a long time! Last time I was in the derm office some girl came in and told the front desk person she needed to see ANY derm that would be available to give her an injection to make this new cyst she got disappear bc she was going out somewhere fancy and wanted it gone - pronto! If it's been lasting THAT long, could your mom call the doc and ask what to do about it? They might have some suggestions that aren't listed on the boards around here. :pray: And if that doc doesn't help, could she ask a new one to get a second opinion?

I wonder if you do the warm water soak/compress off and on from the time you get home from school until bedtime, (so 20 minutes on, then like an hour off) then put some calming lotion on it like an antibiotic cream like Polysporin or a hydrocortizone cream that soothes, then put on a little bandaid so the cream stays in place allll night long, if it will begin to calm it down. See if it looks better or worse the next day and if it looks a little calmer, repeat the procedure again after school. Or, since you don't know how it will look in the morning, do it on a night when you don't have to be anywhere the next morning. And for the warm water soak/compress, I know salt water is very soothing and healing and usually draws out stuff. So maybe if you add some salt to your water? I don't know if you tried any of those methods but if your present derm won't do anything, perhaps another doc can suggest something to try.

You wanted comments on the products you are currently using and you also commented your face got red and that you are flakey, maybe dry, and didn't wanna use the moisturizer before you went out because that gets you red? I looked up the products online that you're using and here are some thoughts:

I wasn't able to find the ingredients of the Cleansing Wipes so you have to be sure they are gentle. You could use a gentle cleanser, you don't need actual wipes, so if you don't like them, just get a cleanser when you're done with them.

The next product you use is the 5% BP, which we already discussed might be too irritating if you're using too much. You said you were going to watch for that. I give a suggestion for that too, if you keep reading until the end lol.

Last product is your moisturizer. I read the ingredients and it said it was for clearing your skin and moisturizing; and I did see it contains salicylic acid, but I didn't see the percentage.

Some skin can handle more aggressive treatment with different products used in one day, while other people have problems doing that. Irritation is more common when you use two treatments at the same time.

So, your BP would count as one treatment product and the salicylic is another treatment product. Since I don't know what's in your cleansing wipes, that could even be a third treatment product = irritation?

If you are experiencing redness/stinging/burning sensations when you apply your moisturizer after your BP, it could be the salicylic in the moisturizer bothering you OR simply the moisturizer. Read the section under the regimen that has posts on burning sensation after using moisturizers or posts similar to that. When I use moisturizer, I usually will use it before my BP and it still works well.

The next thing is because it is 5% BP, your skin could be reacting to the higher percentage BP and is just plain irritated bc of that. You could try not using as much BP either AM or PM and just use the moisturizer you have now with the salicylic the time you are not using the BP. This would give you BP treatment night or day and your salicylic moisturizer whatever time of day you're not using your BP. After reading the posts on the moisturizers, you might then buy a different one that does not contain any salicylic acid. See that's the good thing though. Because then you would have a more calming moisturizer and also a salicylic acid one to use. I have lots of different products because I love to switch them all around! Then as you continue to use the products, you begin to learn what is irritating, what your skin likes, etc.

So, I know I went on and on yet again lol but I'm thinking of possible reasons why you are experiencing what you are. The thing that bothers me the most, and you, is that darn cyst! I hope some other people respond with suggestions that help you too! Good luck!

P.S. When I was referring to salt water, I neglected to say SEA salt. Look up sea salt soaks on here and on the internet. Sea salt has always been healing so maybe that would help the cyst? Ciao!

hey thanks for the long reply must of took a while :)

we went to the doctor months ago and he gave me some weak tablets and booked me into the hospital, ive been back to the hospital 2-3 times now and the only option they will offer me now is accutane which I do not want to go on because of the way I am and its one thing.

Dont want all those effects of it buggaring the rest of my face up

Ill go take a picture now , few things popped up :( and something just above cyst on my nose.

The cyst hasnt gone down or anything if anything it gets redder and bigger from time to time I really wish it would go.

Also for ages on my nose has been loads of small black dots, which if I squeezed sometimes yellow looking string came out a bit and rarely the black.

These are still there. Alot of them all over and some black dots in the area ill mark in 1 of the pictures.

Im drinking water all day tomorrow maybe 1 glass of pop that is all!!!

Ill look at them sea salt water soaks soon thanks :P

Probaly best I dont use them while on this right??

So yeahh here is the picture which im about to go take right now --

--back here some are

front on

this one is close up horrible.. sooo beware.

nose beware close up...uhh

One last note quite often I think of crime etc I know its wrong but head is everywhere from stressed.

Im sticking to this and I really really hope it goes but im not confident about it at all if two tablets before this didnt do anything to it.

Its completly doing my head in and just grr

--update like 2 mins after posting this I gave my nose a little squeeze(not the cyst) just on the side and i came away from the mirror a little bit to see the new thing on my nose had popped burst whatever and some yellow stuff was on the surface of it so i squeezed it a tiny bit tiny bit more came out i wipped it squeezed it for 2-3 more seconds wiped it again then put a small ammount of bp on it so hopefully that will kill some of it...hopefully

Hi Mike!

Once again, I'm so glad you found this website! Here you can see that you aren't alone in your experience with acne. I know from experience that sometimes it does feel like you're completely alone and that no one else understands what it is like. I remember when I had overall pretty decent skin, just one or two large spots would consume my life. Please remember that you overall have a WONDERFUL complexion, your skin is a nice texture and color. You have that one cyst and a spot above it, and maybe a few other spots, and really I must tell you, they do not detract from your cuteness. :)

I think you'd benefit from a very gentle cleanser like Cetaphil Sensitive skin cleanser. JustaMom's right about using only one or two medicated products. I didn't see the ingredients in the wipes but I do think that they probably are, or else they have too many chemicals in them as they are in 'wipe' form. A liquid cleanser would likely be best for your skin, but there are plenty of bar soaps that are just fine to use (I use a bar soap myself).

Hi Mike!

Once again, I'm so glad you found this website! Here you can see that you aren't alone in your experience with acne. I know from experience that sometimes it does feel like you're completely alone and that no one else understands what it is like. I remember when I had overall pretty decent skin, just one or two large spots would consume my life. Please remember that you overall have a WONDERFUL complexion, your skin is a nice texture and color. You have that one cyst and a spot above it, and maybe a few other spots, and really I must tell you, they do not detract from your cuteness. :)

I think you'd benefit from a very gentle cleanser like Cetaphil Sensitive skin cleanser. JustaMom's right about using only one or two medicated products. I didn't see the ingredients in the wipes but I do think that they probably are, or else they have too many chemicals in them as they are in 'wipe' form. A liquid cleanser would likely be best for your skin, but there are plenty of bar soaps that are just fine to use (I use a bar soap myself).

I don't recommend the Biore one. I know it has comedogenic ingredients.

Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Face Cream with 5% Urea is a great moisturizer and I think it's available in the UK. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eucerin-Skin-Relie...7644&sr=8-1

Here is a good cleanser that you can order online in the UK. It might be available in Boots. As I'm in the US, I can't check the UK stock of Boots. I try, and the website sends me right back to the global website. Grrrrrr.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cetaphil-Non-Irrit...n/dp/B000KHVKMA

Hey again!

I always hit "Fast Reply" and chuckle because as you know with me, I'm NEVER fast with any reply! :razz: This time I'll try to keep it brief!

I LOVE what Wynne said to you! You're at that age where appearances are much more important than they actually should be, and I think once that cyst is healed and gone, you will be able to feel A LOT better about yourself because you are so focused on it and your skin right now. When you look at yourself in the mirror, I bet the first thing you see are any spots. Yet, when I clicked on the link to view your picture, seriously, I agree with Wynne. I first saw what pretty eyes you have, then thought your skin had great color, texture, and really didn't focus on any spots until last because I knew I was supposed to be looking at them lol. :doh: Honest. As Wynne said, any skin issues don't detract from the fact you're a cute guy. So try to look at the big picture and not smother yourself with anxieties regarding acne.

I don't know if you read other posts or add posts yourself in the forum dealing with emotions; but I think if you read some of them and even write some thoughts there, you will see you're not alone in your feelings. That area might be able to help you out. You should never beat yourself up over your skin and let it affect the rest of your life's choices. It will eventually heal and it's a very normal skin problem, so I would love for you to be able to shift your focus on more important things in your life such as school, family, friends, and any other areas of concern for you.

Regarding your products and any new ones you were planning on buying, make sure you keep all your products and don't throw them out. I have quite a few I have saved and I rotate them. For example, if your face is super dry or irritated, then the moisturizer with salicylic acid in it would not be good that day or two. Instead, you would use the more calming moisturizer. If the BP is particularly harsh because it's 5%, you could use a little of the non-salicylic moisturizer before you put on the BP, or don't use as much that night, or perhaps not at all. If you buy the BP 2.5%, then you could still use the 5% whenever you want, just rotated with the 2.5%. Adjust your products to your skin's needs. Once you understand what each one does and how your skin reacts to using them, this whole thing will become much easier for you, without wasting anything you currently have. I routinely use salicylic in the morning in a scrub and BP 2.5% and it doesn't bother me at all. Simply see what works for you, what is too irritating, and adjust it.

For the cyst, you can read what worked for others under the cyst forum. Last night I read if you want to use the hot compress method, you should do it around 15 minutes warm water with washcloth, many times through the day or evening before bed whenever you can, moisturize it to keep it moist, and you might need to do this for several days. Warm water is healing and might make it either come up to a head, or it might just begin to slowly fade away. Sometimes putting stuff on it irritates the skin and never goes down deep enough to get to the cyst, but some people have found topicals that do help. I guess it's just your individual skin. It would be great if one thing worked for everyone so we would just know what product to buy to get it done!

Since your mom is the person who usually buys the products for you, you could have her look at this website for hints for your particular skin type. She might be just as frustrated as you are because she might not know what products she's looking for either. There are lots of moms on this site trying to find information and products for their kids, so she wouldn't be alone if she decided to give it a try. Trust me, if something is frustrating for you, no matter what topic, it's frustrating to your parent, simply because parents want all things good for their kids. So your mom might be glad you told her about this website so she can get information to help you out!

Have a wonderful weekend and remember the most important thing you can do for yourself is....... SMILE :cool: No one will even notice your skin!

thanks for the replies

im about to go to bed as im absalutely knackered somehow but i thought id do a quick quick reply and say thanks and ill reply longer tomorrow hopefully.

my skin- nothing has changed really

havent used the moisturiser for a while because i havent needed to

no flaking etc. no nothing

its very wierd and just makes me think cause it isnt doing anything to the cyst-if the bp i have is working or not...

not sure so yeah thanks for your replies ill read them all fully soon then reply fully :P

hope it does something in the meantimee...probaly wont.

havent really had time to come on here-feel lazy etc somehow dont know why

my mum bought a facial sauna the other day so

yerstaday i used it for roughly 20 minutes and just now i used it for 20 minutes

not to sure how often im supposed to use it

should i do the sauna for 20 minutes, wait 30 minutes??? then put some moisturiser on.

or shall i put bp on right after ive wiped my face with some tissue after the sauna, then a few mintues later the moisturiser??--------UPDATE

my mum said to use it twice a week??

soo im confused now

in the morning im going to use the new cleanser thing for my face i have-then bp .twice a day

in 2-3 days ill use the sauna but dont know if i should use the cleanser-bp after it.

not to sure

no need to update pictures it never ever changes-my nose...

Hey Mike!

Sorry about you being lazy lately... perhaps it's the weather without enough sunshine!? Your mom sounds like a sweetheart buying you a facial sauna and products to help you out, so what I'll do is give you some suggestions on what some other people think about using the steaming method. BUT, when you're not being lazy lol, do an online search on this site and other websites for facial steaming. There are so many suggestions out there that you might really find one you like after trying them.

- Some people don't like or believe in steaming, while others love it and swear by it. You have to decide for yourself. Different people use it for different amounts of time. I would say read the directions on your particular sauna, then adjust it to your liking.

- You said you would be using cleanser and BP twice daily. Remember, if that feels too overly drying, cut back to once per day with the BP, or skip one application every couple of days, etc. Your skin didn't look bad at all and I wouldn't want you to irritate it when there's really no need. Remember to use your moisturizer as well.

- Some people use their BP and moisturizer after they steam. Others use products they like such as ACV/water toner and moisturizer and that's it. If your skin doesn't need the BP the night you steam, you can skip the BP and just moisturize or use the ACV/water toner and moisturize. The key here would be for you to see how your skin is.

- You asked what order to do it in. This might help but adjust it to your needs:

1) If your face is dirty, sweaty, etc. after a long day, quickly wash it off before steaming.

2) Steam for 10 - 20 minutes, or what your book says for that steamer.

3) After steaming your face will be sweaty, and this is the time some people gently cleanse it, use their toners, and apply their BP and moisturizers. After steaming, then cleansing, you can wait a little bit before applying your BP and moisturizer if you'd like. If you need a break from the BP, after steaming would be a good time to take the break and just moisturize or use an ACV/water toner and moisturizer. Again, whatever makes your skin look good and feel good is the key here.

4) Be sure to read up on what others have done using steaming to find success.

Good luck and keep us updated! :)

wettest city in britain dont get to much sun :P im almost certain its just the stress i cant concentrate, get violent , feel lazy, useless, cant think what job i want and i do want 1 i just cant because of this. etc

thanks for that :P:) ive only used it 3-4 so far

i steamed for about 20 minutes each time and after it gently wiped my face with a piece of toliet tissue from the pack and once ive waited a few minutes then put bp on it

ill do it when i get in from football tomorrow morning again

there is absalutely no change in my nose as usual . : ( ahh it needs to go so so badly

ill maybe put a picture up tomorrow but it will be exactly the same maybe 1-2 other things on face but not that kind of stuff.

thanks for replying-nothing seems to be working at all from what ive tried since the start months ag

Hey again!

I really do think winter brings most laziness out in people anyway, but soon the weather will be so nice and the sun will be shining that you won't wanna couch potato it any longer! :dance:

Ok so you're doing the steaming about twice per week, then applying your products as usual. Do you find it helps? I mean it's only been a little over a week or two since you started with the steaming anyway.

Now for your nose... seriously... I'm about ready to hop on over to Britain and slap that thing silly!!! It has been around SO long and seems to like it so much right on your nose, it doesn't wanna leave! :eh:

Since none of the products you currently use have made it go down, do you think you would like to try some tea tree oil? I read online that it's been used successfully on various types of spots, so I purchased some and gave it a whirl. I don't get many spots at all, but I do get different kinds. I have not experienced what you have on your nose so I don't know if it would work, but what I did notice is I would use my normal routine, then the very last thing I did over my other products, was apply a dab of 100% tea tree oil on each blemish. Each type had definitely become less angry, less red, and decreased in size by the next day. I continued every night until they disappeared.

So I wonder if that would help you by first doing your usual regimen, then lastly dabbing a bit of tea tree oil on each spot, including that nose one, and see if that brings about results. I purchased 100% Oil of Melaleuca Alternifolia (tea tree oil) in a small bottle from my health food store. It cost around $6. I'm just trying to think of something you haven't tried yet that might help penetrate that cyst. Give it a thought.

Here's some information from Molly's Herbals online: "Tea Tree Oil Properties: aromatic, antiseptic, anesthetic (mild), antibacterial, antimicrobial, disinfectant, fungicide, germicide. Common Uses: Used topically for all skin ailments, cuts, burns, acne, cold sores, irritations of mouth and throat. It is able to kill bacteria by penetrating the skin layers and reaching deep into abscesses in the gums and even beneath the fingernails. It has been found to have some of the strongest antimicrobial properties ever discovered." Look it up online for more info.

Have fun at the football game and make that sun shine!

thanks for the reply-ive just given up there is really no point

nothing has changed. its the same as if i didnt use anything

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

my mum bought some tea tree thing before i used it for 3 days then went onto this.

dont have hardly any money now either

-still using the stuff but less as its not effected my skin one bit and im going to give up there is really no point. everything ive been given has done shit all to it

dont worry about replying. no use