Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NL_020

After many years, finally completely clear

Short version:

I'm using a generous amount of 1% clindamycin gel (not dalacin lotion!) once to twice daily after washing. I noticed good results as soon as after one week, and was almost completely clear after about three.

Long version:

The kind of acne I (used to) have is often inflamed whiteheads and red bumps, sometimes painful, sometimes somewhat below my skin and mostly in my chin/jawline area.

Some two and a half year ago I moved to Mexico for a year to study and learn Spanish and my acne got worse than it used to be. So I visited a Mexican dermatologist and he put me on a regimen containing a very mild non-comedogenic soap, a cleansing fluid consisting of alcohol and ether and two topicals, namely metrogel (rozex) and dalacin gel (clindamycin). This combination got me 100% clear.

Back in my home country (The Netherlands) I couldn't order some of these products so I tried all kinds of different products. Stuff I tried:

- Dan's regimen

- Other regimens with 2.5%, 5% or 10% benzoylperoxide

- Rozex

- Different kinds of topical antibiotics

- Vitamin A creams (retinol)

- Dalacin-T

- Experimenting these in combination with jojoba oil, different moisturizers, etc

- Oral antibiotics

- Taking lots of omega 3 oils

- Avoiding dairy

- Avoiding meat

- probably more stuff that I can't think of right now

Then after two years I got really fucking angry about still having acne and I went researching the products I used to use and their availability like a mad man. Even though I had bought and tried some of the products of my previous regimen during these two years, I never got together all the exact same products I used to have. Finally I managed to order them all (flew some in from Mexico even) and within few weeks I was almost completely clear again!

Then during the weeks and months following that I started noticing that the clindamycin gel seemed the most important ingredient for my skin and I started dropping the other products one by one. Now I'm just using the clindamycin 1% gel and a mild cleansing soap and voila, no more acne!

So if you want to try this yourself: get a prescription for 1% clindamycin gel or dalacin gel (not dalacin lotion - I tried this and it didn't work at all) and smear a generous amount on your face both in the mornings and in the evenings after you washed your face with a mild non-comedogenic soap. If it's working for you like it did for me, you should definitely see the first results after just one week. Good luck!

Clindamycin gel isn't very strong at all. Was your acne before mild or moderate? My acne would clear with just clindamycin in the past when my acne was mild. It would clear within 2-3 days of applying it. Now my acne is moderate and clindamycin can not fight it off. It still works on small acne or ones on the chin like you said. I really need to get a better razor. I usually get acne on my chin after I shave and I have to use clindamycin to control it before it gets red.

Clindamycin gel isn't very strong at all. Was your acne before mild or moderate? My acne would clear with just clindamycin in the past when my acne was mild. It would clear within 2-3 days of applying it. Now my acne is moderate and clindamycin can not fight it off. It still works on small acne or ones on the chin like you said. I really need to get a better razor. I usually get acne on my chin after I shave and I have to use clindamycin to control it before it gets red.

Interesting! A few years ago I had a molar that needed to be pulled, and it hurt like crazy, so since it was a few days before the surgery, the dentist gave me hydrocodone for the pain. Well, oddly, it didn't help my pain AT ALL. So I went back the next day, and he gave me clindamycin (in pill form) to take with it, and 20 minutes after taking it with the hydro's my pain was 100% gone. Well I'm 99% sure it was clindamycin, maybe I remember the name wrong. If Dan's regimen doesn't work for me, I'll try the clindamycin gel for sure! Thanks for the post :)

Hmm, your acne sounds almost identical to mine and the funny thing is that I was once clear in the past using a BP cleanser, Clindamycin gel, and Nicomide cream. I was also on the oral antibiotic minocycline.

I've tried BP and Nicomide cream but they haven't really done anything. (I've also tried a ton of other things as well and none of those worked either...)

I think maybe Clindamycin might be the key unless it was the oral antibiotic doing most of the work. I might have to try and get another prescription for it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the post and hopefully you continue to be acne free!

Do you have to get Clindamycin from a derm or can you just get it from the doctor? I once used Clindatech. I wonder if it's the same thing.

Hmm, your acne sounds almost identical to mine and the funny thing is that I was once clear in the past using a BP cleanser, Clindamycin gel, and Nicomide cream. I was also on the oral antibiotic minocycline.

I've tried BP and Nicomide cream but they haven't really done anything. (I've also tried a ton of other things as well and none of those worked either...)

I think maybe Clindamycin might be the key unless it was the oral antibiotic doing most of the work. I might have to try and get another prescription for it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the post and hopefully you continue to be acne free!

Clindamycin is a really great short-term solution. Around three months into using, though, it started giving me tons and tons of whiteheads and clogged pores. Before that, though, it was working really well. =]

It's an antibiotic, and most antibiotics are only expected to work for up to a year (and that's pushing it). It's extremely common for people to grow immune to their effects before then.

Clyndamiacin gel didn't get me clear on its own, I have to use it in combination with my face wash (dandruff shampoo :P) and it seems to work much better. I'm glad to hear you had such great success with it. I think it's more of a maintainer than a clearer (will keep you clear, but might not get you there on its own?).

I had mild inflamed acne (about four or five pauples at my worst), so Clindamycin lotion was enough to get me perfectly clear. Unfortunately, it started clogging my pores really badly, so that's why I stopped, otherwise I'd probably still be using it until I grew immune to its effects. I didn't really notice that it shortened the lifespan of a pimple, but it was a good prevention (at least, for me). :)

It's an antibiotic, and most antibiotics are only expected to work for up to a year (and that's pushing it). It's extremely common for people to grow immune to their effects before then.

I asked my derm and he told me it's not very probable that the bacteria grow immune for clindamycin. Don't know the reason for that though.