Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smc0617

what if makeup didn't exsist?

have you ever though to yourself what would happen if makeup didn't exsist? what would people think if they saw us everyday without our makeup on? would they think differently of us?

i've talked about this with my mom. we both wear makeup and she has a pretty pretigious job at a bank. what would happen if we went out in public everyday bare faced? oh, how i wish i could do this. you don't even know. it's like a dream to me...the day i can walk out my door without a stitch of makeup on my face....just thinking about it makes me get that warm, fuzzy feeling.

but honestly, what would women do if they couldn't put atleast a little powder or eyeshadow on each day. i know some women just have naturally flawless skin and don't need makeup, but personally i look like dogshit with out it. you wouldn't want to see me first thing in the am. it's not a pretty site.

so i guess my question is, "ladies, do you think you could go without makeup?" :doh:

my answer is NO.

Interesting question. I'm getting closer to no makeup, but I still can't go without. My "nearly no makeup" might seem like a lot to a woman who truly wears none. The closest I get is a ton of silk powder, mixed with a little of my EM minerals. I touch the really bad zones (next to my eyes - allergic shiners - big dark veins, how pretty, not!) with some concealer. I put on a little mascara because as a redhead my eyelashes are blonde / invisible. That's my "nearly no makeup" and it is as free as I think I have EVER been in my whole life since acne hit.

The thing is, if you research a little about ancient cultures - they did wear makeup too. Look up things about Cleopatra especially. I feel better when I realize women have been improvising or using outright makeup for hundreds and even thousands of years. We aren't so weird.

Besides, if it makes me feel like I'm beautiful wearing it, I'll just keep on. And as for waking up looking like a mess, after you've cleared for a few years, your face will slowly become less and less beat up as time goes on. I remember having such outrageous red blotches and swollen looking parts of my face that I wasn't sure what color my skin really was, nor what shape it was! But that is a thing of the past now that I've been clear for quite a few years. It's gradual and you'll get there. I would no longer freak if someone caught me getting out of bed - although I still wouldn't be happy about it. :)

Hope that makes sense.

okay to answer the first question - if makeup didn't exist how would it affect women....well, if it were never around for us to use in the first place, then not having it wouldn't make a difference. you can't miss what you never had ;)....

now, can i live without makeup? no....that's just the reality of it....i :wub: makeup - being able to be creative with color is fun for me ;) however, i can see myself living without foundation and powder. my skin is clear and well on it's way to even (thanks to my Olay microdermabrasion peels :wub:) so i have been wearing less and less foundation :D.....

I think people might view some of us with acne differently. People who are considered attractive now might be considered less so if there was no makeup. Acne can be distracting from your features, let's face it. I'm sure I would have even less self-confidence. Of course, as brought out, it's impossible to miss what you never had, but it is possible to wish for what doesn't exist.

Makeup for me is also a creative expression, a way to show my style; it's more about creating a "look" than a means of being "pretty". I can feel pretty with minimal makeup, but I will probably always wear foundation since I don't think my skin will ever be good enough for me to feel comfortable without it.

I think we would certainly feel differently about out flaws, as in we wouldn't be so self conscious of them. I'm sure we would fine other things to feel equally self conscious about, but since our faces would be all out there, people's idea of beauty and standards would be tweaked.

I don't know how much better if would be for anyone, but I'm pretty sure it would be different. This is assuming there never was makeup as apposed to having it, then having it taken away.

If THAT happened....well, if it was any time before 6 months ago, I'd probably cry and lock myself in my room an/or demand something a bit more hardcore for my skin. Now that I'm clear, I think I'd be very very cranky, but not scarred for life (internally lol).

I like playing with makeup too, as someone already said. It's like art on my face lol. I like eyeshadow and blush and all that fun stuff. I didn't used to, since all I was concerned with was my acne (Thanks Dan!).

most women even with clear skin still enjoy using make-up. i used to find it a chore to cover up my acne, but now that i'm clear and my red marks are fading, i see it in a totally different light. it is very much an art and an expression of the person we are inside. i used to also look forward to the day i could go make-up less, but even though i can now, i still don't want to.

No one would wear any, so it's not like we'd be any uglier compaired to anyone else, they wouldn't have any either. I don't know of one person that has perfect skin on their own.

If make-up didn't exist then this forum wouldn't be very active!

Also, because only a tiny percent would have it, flawless skin wouldn't be that much of an issue. Society would be much more accepting of acne, scarring, freckles, redness, etc., and because of this we would be much more comfortable and accepting of ourselves.

In other words, the illusion of everyone else having perfect complexions wouldn't do such significant damage to our self-images.

I think if makeup never existed we would all be excepted for what we really look like and maybe feel more comfortable with ourselves. We wouldn't be comparing our selves to women in magazines with flawless skin. Even super models have bad skin days. If no one wore makeup we'd be more likely to see other people with flaws or blemishes. I am thankful for makeup though. I used to wear it everyday for fun but then it got to the point where my skin was so bad I needed to wear it! I'm very thankful cause my skin is clear now and I don't need makeup anymore! Being able to leave the house bare faced is heaven.

Interesting question. I'm getting closer to no makeup, but I still can't go without. My "nearly no makeup" might seem like a lot to a woman who truly wears none. The closest I get is a ton of silk powder, mixed with a little of my EM minerals. I touch the really bad zones (next to my eyes - allergic shiners - big dark veins, how pretty, not!) with some concealer. I put on a little mascara because as a redhead my eyelashes are blonde / invisible. That's my "nearly no makeup" and it is as free as I think I have EVER been in my whole life since acne hit.

The thing is, if you research a little about ancient cultures - they did wear makeup too. Look up things about Cleopatra especially. I feel better when I realize women have been improvising or using outright makeup for hundreds and even thousands of years. We aren't so weird.

Besides, if it makes me feel like I'm beautiful wearing it, I'll just keep on. And as for waking up looking like a mess, after you've cleared for a few years, your face will slowly become less and less beat up as time goes on. I remember having such outrageous red blotches and swollen looking parts of my face that I wasn't sure what color my skin really was, nor what shape it was! But that is a thing of the past now that I've been clear for quite a few years. It's gradual and you'll get there. I would no longer freak if someone caught me getting out of bed - although I still wouldn't be happy about it. :)

Hope that makes sense.

If they knew there was no alternative then the natural look, they probably wouldn't care more... My brother would probably compare it to cows.

The cows that don't know freedom don't miss it! (I disagree though, as I think they have a natural feeling of how they should live...)

I have to wear foundation. Sometimes that is all I wear, but I have to wear at least that.

I agree with some of the other posts that it's fun to play with make up. I think I'd be sad if it were taken away from me, but it would be nice to feel confindent enough to walk out of the house with out anything on.

No one would wear any, so it's not like we'd be any uglier compaired to anyone else, they wouldn't have any either. I don't know of one person that has perfect skin on their own.

Im not gonna wear make up today. I tried to put on some yesterday and it ended up looking like shit. I need about five days of no make up I think. My face has a rash and I need the least amount of products on my face now as possible. Im fine with not wearing make up. People know I have acne whether I wear make up or not so I dont really see a point in wearing it every single day...

I wear make up everyday. I can't go a day, or I will get very very self conscious.

Is make up really bad for your face? I mean if you wear it for a long time can it do more harm then good?

My skin got progressively worse between 8th and 11th grades...and my makeup got progressively more heavy. I used to wear only concealer over my acne, and then I graduated to foundation, foundation and concealer, liquid and powder foundation...eyebrow powder, eyeshadow, mascara, highlighter....

Now even on my best days (I'm pretty clear now) if I am not wearing lots of makeup, I feel horrid. Sometimes I wish I never discovered it. I think a lot of us would be better off if it had never been invented because then no one would have false perceptions about what beauty really is. I think it will be a long time (if ever) before I can leave my house without makeup and feel good or self-confident. If I had never worn it, I would not know the difference, so I think I would be happier with the real me rather than the person I can make myself into.

I wear makeup every day, unless I am at home. It's as much part of my routine as brushing my teeth. I don't think I could live without it. :wacko:

I probably wouldn't have the boyfriend that I have now. Sad isn't it?