Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vaudor

lots of whiteheads after Co2

So I had c02 3 weeks ago and since 3 days ago small whiteheads are popping out all over. The surgeon tells me it's a normal reaction, and I have to put an acne medication (erythromycin) over the whiteheads as they appear.

As anyone experienced this, and has a better solution to zap them or better yet to stop them from appearing.

My skin is still very fragile, I have to moisterize it several times a day.

This is very common after CO2 laser. About 80% of patients will develop milia or acneiform lesions. I experienced them after my laser, most dried up and went away on their own, but there were a couple that got larger that my doctor had to lance. No big deal though, DO NOT SQUEEZE THEM.

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic525.htm You might find some helpful info here.

biggrin.gif

Thank you Misty!!!

Dr. Berg is a dermatological surgeon in Seattle. I think I am going to set up an appointment with him. He has worked with another derm who has apparently perfectid a micro-excision techniques for ice-pick scars.

Has anybody ever figured out why the milia form? It seems to me that almost any type of resurfacing can lead to this. Misty, did you have them after any of your dermabrasion procedures? Maybe when the skin is healing the opening to the pores gets swollen shut and the sebum can't escape.

Thanks again!

Anna

Anna: I did have them after dermabrasion, but they went away without incidence.

vaudor: once my skin had healed and they started forming, I would say they were gone within 1-2 weeks. Good Luck during your healing phase! biggrin.gif

Hi everyone... Thank you for all the info above... I just had a co2 done on my face to get rid of acne scars 3 days ago. I woke up today with these white looking things around my nose, chin and part of my cheeks. They are hard and it kinda hurts! I know not to pick at them but is there anything I can do? And how long do they last? I haven't even started peeling yet... Help!?

Hi everyone... Thank you for all the info above... I just had a co2 done on my face to get rid of acne scars 3 days ago. I woke up today with these white looking things around my nose, chin and part of my cheeks. They are hard and it kinda hurts! I know not to pick at them but is there anything I can do? And how long do they last? I haven't even started peeling yet... Help!?

You should contact your doctor as soon as possible. Sounds like you're having a milia breakout which can also happen after Co2 laser.

Does it look like this?

http://www.skinsight.com/adult/milia.htm

You should contact your doctor as soon as possible. Sounds like you're having a milia breakout which can also happen after Co2 laser.

Does it look like this?

http://www.skinsight.com/adult/milia.htm

Tokyo girl...YES! My dr's Office is closed on Mondays unfortunately.. I'm not sure what to do!

Your doctor should still have a contact number for emergencies. Use it.

Are you using Aquaphor? If so, it could be causing it but I don't know how to properly advise you. I did have a minor flare up following laser, but I did not get milia. It was caused by the Aquaphor. Are you doing vinegar & water rinses to help your skin peel?

No emergency number..I will have to wait until tomorrow :(

No emergency number..I will have to wait until tomorrow.. Will that rinse with vinegar help? It won't cause any more problems will it?

I'm using Vaseline instead of aquaphor.. I am hoPing this will all go away...

I am sure you'll be fine but I would consult with your doctor as soon as possible. You said the bumps kind of hurt, so that's kind of concerning.

Does your doctor have you on antibiotics to prevent infection? I know my doctor had me use a topical antibiotic for two days following laser treatment. I applied it before Aquaphor throughout the day. I was also prescribed an oral antibiotic and an oral anti-viral med. I started the oral meds one day before the procedure.

I'm surprised to know your doctor doesn't have an emergency contact number for when his/her office is closed. At times, people suffer complications, so they need to be able to contact their doctor.

I actually had Deep FX treatment, so I did not experience any peeling. I know many doctors have their patients soak with vinegar & warm water following laser treatment that involves peeling. I am not sure if it's necessary for your procedure. That's why you should consult with your doctor.

Yes I am on oral antibiotics-started a day before the procedure. I'm also on an anti-inflammatory med as well to reduce any swelling. I will def call the office as soon as it opens tomorrow. I'm wondering if it's because of all the Vaseline I'm slathering on that's causing these white heads/milias..

It hurts as in it stings and it feels really weird! I really hope this goes away. I think for now I will just do the cetaphil face wash and Vaseline. Thank you for replying .. It has helped me just knowing I can talk to someone about this. I will keep updating if anything changes and def after talking to my Dr. Thank you again.

Laser treatment can reactivate acne because there's been a level a trauma to your skin and your glands can react to it. Vaseline & Aquaphor can clog your pores. While I experienced significant pain during treatment, I didn't experience any pain after treatment. That's why I found your comment a bit concerning. I did however experience itching about 3-4 days following laser, but it only lasted a few days. When my skin started to breakout, my doctor had me discontinue the Aquaphor, and it cleared fairly quickly.

I wouldn't worry too much about any initial reactions following laser, but I would definitely consult with your doctor to be sure your skin is healing correctly. You are going to do that tomorrow, so that's a good thing. smile.png

Good luck and please do keep us updated on your progress.

Edited by TokyoGirl

I saw my Dr today and he prescribe me some antibiotics and also to use hydrocortisone 1% ointment. They told me to discontinue the Vaseline. So hopefully after using the hydrocortisone I hope the milia will go away. I'll keep posting updates...

I am glad he was able to see you so quickly. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just don't hesitate to contact your doctor if you have further concerns. You can't be too careful during the next few of weeks.

Do keep us updated.

Best of luck with healing! :)

I've been using the hydrocortisone along with oral antibiotics since Tuesday and the milia is def going away. I just hope it goes away by Sunday as I have to be back at work on Monday!

I haven't started peeling yet...which is kinda weird, but the little dot stuff that the laser made are slowly disappearing.

Tokyo girl-how long before you noticed a difference on your face after your procedure?

Good to hear your skin is clearing. I'm glad you contacted your doctor quickly.

You might not experience peeling. With fractional laser, your skin & tissue are vaporized. The small dots reflect the vaporized columns. My skin never peeled.

I don't remember exactly how long it took for the dots to fade, but I think it took about a week. From there, I experienced hyperpigmentation in those areas, but could easily conceal it with makeup. I also used hydroquinone to fade the marks. Depending on your skin type, hyperpigmentation may not be an issue for you.

In regard to improvement of scars, I noticed a difference at about 2 months. The change was gradual. It became more noticeable to me around the 3 month mark. At the one month point, I was disappointed.

Had a follow up today and the doc told me to put neosporin on my milia...hopefully they'll go away. Not much left but it's pretty ugly! He doesn't see any pigmentation (but then again I've been hiding at home!) which is good.

I asked him about the peeling and he said it will peel but it's still early, it will take some time. Right now he's trying to clear up the bacteria that's on my skin (milia).. As you said he told me the same thing ... I won't notice the changes until about after the 1 month mark-closer to 2 months.

I can't wait to see the changes..are you happy with the improvement on your skin?

I am happy with the improvement I've seen from laser. I'm looking forward to doing a second treatment in the near future.

Have you started to peel yet? Has the bacteria cleared?

Hi! Yes the milia is gone, I just have a few bumps here and there but no more white stuff! I have not started peeling yet ... Although my skin is a little dry. I'm still using the neosporin and hydrocortisone on my face and foundation. It's working pretty well... I have a follow up appt in 2 weeks ... Will update if anything changes...

I was thinking of doing another treatment maybe in a year or two..I just can't wait to see changes!