-i have to have everything in it's place

-i watch every little thing i eat

-i obsess over my skin and every thing wrong with it

-i focuss a lot about negative rather then positive

-i clean out my car all the time

-i won't take the garbage out with gloves on

-i won't pump my gas with out my gloves on

-i'm always wiping down the kitchen counters with cleaner

i could keep going. does anyone else feel like this?

I have slight ocd. I dont like threads hanging out of my shoes, I dont like if I have a little bit of dirt on them, I always poke at my pimples even when they arent ready, I wash my hands a lot at work because I dont want to get sick. Thats about it though. In your case, I wouldnt worry about it. You just sound like you like things clean, thats all

Just about everyone has little quirks like that. For example, I always check at least 2-3 times to make sure my alarm clock is set before bed, because even though I know I just set it, I'm still paranoid that it isn't set right. I press the lock button on my car alarm twice, even though I know it's locked after just pressing it once. Not everyone has full-blown OCD, but just about everyone has little things like these that they're obsessive-compulsive about. It's normal.

Yep I have it.. just with germs and handwashing though. Sometimes I'll go through a phase where it gets really bad (ie: wash until my hands bleed)... but lately my OCD hasn't been bad at all.... though my hands still look like they belong to a 70 year old :dry: If anyone could recommend an excellent lotion to me, that would be great! lol

Well, I dunno, you sound careful and maybe a little excessive (so am I!!) But, I think true OCD is a very extreme diagnosis. It is easy to get into being clean if you listen to the news and hear all the crap all the time about how you'll catch this or that and what steps to take to protect yourself. I've actually given up listening to news at all so that it doesn't push me into getting more nervous about various stuff. Even my doctor's office has a big sign on the wall about all the right steps to take in washing your hands, when to wash, etc. So I think here in America we're bombarded with stuff that can make us just a wee bit too protective of ourselves. Knowing you might be bordering on excessive (like so many of us - you're not alone sweetie) you can take some control back. Take little steps, maybe know that you don't need to sanitize your hands the moment you get to the car, but just don't touch your face/eyes etc., and then wait until you arrive home to wash up. That's a small step, just an example, but you could make up others. It will make you feel less out of control, I bet.

Hang in there hon. :)

Yep I have it.. just with germs and handwashing though. Sometimes I'll go through a phase where it gets really bad (ie: wash until my hands bleed)... but lately my OCD hasn't been bad at all.... though my hands still look like they belong to a 70 year old :dry: If anyone could recommend an excellent lotion to me, that would be great! lol

You aren't OCD, you're just overly causious.

-i wash my hands a lot

I work at a hospital and wash my hands all the time, best way to not get sick.

-i won't touch the toilet seat with my hands

Who does?!

-i sanitize if i've been out in public the minute i get in my car

I sanitize every time I shake someone's hand; I get sick A LOT.

-i sanitize all the time

I get sick A LOT.

-i wash my makeup brushes everyday

Me too, why rub bacteria or left over oil on your face?

-i won't buy anything that looks tapered with

That's just common sense, the FDA recommends this too.

That's a little weird, but my husband is like that, it's called being tidy.

A lot of people do this, nothing wrong with being healthy.

I think everyone with Acne does.

So you're a pesimist...

Me too, I don't want people to see I have a dirty car.

Um, hmmm?

I don't do this, because I did once and got gas on them and they stunk and I had to throw them away and they were expensive >:(

That's what everyone should do; a lot of dangerous food bacteria hang out in there.

i think i may be with the washing of the hands. particularly dirty hands. i can't stand when i think my hands are dirty, sticky, etc. if they feel dirty i'll wash them immediately. in fact, i love to wash my hands in a white sink and watch the dirty water run down the drain. when i'm at work, i keep lotion at my desk for my hands but i find that i feel a film on the palms of my hands after i put lotion on them, which makes me want to wash them again. it's strange - but one of my closest friends does this too.

You sound more like an anxious and nervous person...maybe a bit anal retentive :D

I have a friend who was diagnosed as OCD and it is much more serious and complicated than many people realize.

Try not to indulge your worries too much. You can stop and reason on what you are doing and if it is logical or ridiculous.

Yeah, people at work call me OCD, because I like my work area a certain way. But I'm not, they just misunderstand. Being organized helps me work for efficiently... not wanting my picture frames or do-dads out of place is just an extension of that. Work is stressful enough, I want my shoot in order. :proud:

I am Obsessive Compulsive. As in diagnosed. It's more than just being germ cautious and anal, trust me. From that list, I would not say you had OCD.

Everyone has their quirks, as someone said before, and everyone has obsessive compulsive tendencies, but there's a lost more in the package than a list of habits and concerns.

I am Obsessive Compulsive. As in diagnosed. It's more than just being germ cautious and anal, trust me. From that list, I would not say you had OCD.

Everyone has their quirks, as someone said before, and everyone has obsessive compulsive tendencies, but there's a lost more in the package than a list of habits and concerns.

Doesn't sound that weird to me, I do all that stuff, it's just cautious. Perhaps a bit

excessively cautious but so what? :shrug:

You keep yourself spick and spam :dance:

I have OCD, particularly fear of contamination like others have mentioned. When the compulsions or thoughts start to interfere with living your life is usually the sign that something is wrong. That is a fairly long list and if you feel like doing those things is interefering with your quality of life then it could be time to get help. For example, what would happen if you didn't have the gloves? Would you be able to pump gas or would you try to keep driving even if you're almost on empty?

I totally agree with the last post. For example, you say you wash your hands a lot. If you felt the need to wash your hands, but couldn't get to a sink, would you feel like you would die or your life would totally fall apart? You say you have to have everything in its proper place. If something was out of place, would you cry, feel sick, or have a panic attack if for some reason you were not allowed to put it back into its proper place? These are the kinds of things that signal OCD. It sounds to me like you just like to stay on the safe side, keep clean and sanitary, and be orderly. If you really had a problem, then these things would constantly interfere with your life, and you would have very strong reactions if not allowed to do one of the things on your list. Many people have obsessive-compulsive tendencies or quirks, but actual OCD is much more severe than just a list of quirks.

Yeah, people at work call me OCD, because I like my work area a certain way. But I'm not, they just misunderstand. Being organized helps me work for efficiently... not wanting my picture frames or do-dads out of place is just an extension of that. Work is stressful enough, I want my shoot in order. :proud:

I totally agree with the last post. For example, you say you wash your hands a lot. If you felt the need to wash your hands, but couldn't get to a sink, would you feel like you would die or your life would totally fall apart? You say you have to have everything in its proper place. If something was out of place, would you cry, feel sick, or have a panic attack if for some reason you were not allowed to put it back into its proper place?

Most of you aren't diagnosable OCD. Washing hands until bleeding...yes.

OCD is similar to these actions and more:

standing in one place until something happens, something particular that allows one to move. If it does not happen, you cannot move. You must stay there.

You obsessively check all door locks in a routine pattern several times a day. If for some reason you cannot do your normal routine, you get extremely anxious, scared, worried. The routine lock-checking may take an hour or more to complete and you may have a certain pattern that you check the locks by: lock it once, unlock it once, lock it again unlock again repeat however many times your compulsion tells you to. Then go to the next door and repeat the same thing again - for each and every door in the house.

You must leave your house in a certain way, with a certain routine. If you cannot for some reason leave that way (someone comes to another door and you walk outside with them for some reason), you get anxious and worried that something bad is going to happen because you did not leave in your normal pattern. You may invent excuses for why you have to go back in the house and leave another way, or when the person leaves, you may practice your ritual so that your anxiety will go away....yes, that person WILL do the routine and leave the house by the comforting route but then immediately go back inside....this is to 'erase' the anxiety inducing earlier leaving. Yes people really do do this and NO, none of you guys has OCD with those lists of things you do.

If you work in healthcare, you darn well need to be washing your hands regularly. It is the law and common sense. ;)

Remember that movie, "As Good as it Gets" with Jack Nicholson? I believe one of his problems was OCD. He frantically would dive into his bathroom, open the medicine cabinet to reveal a horde of new bars of soap. He'd get the water steaming hot, unwrap a new soap - wash even though it was painful - then throw that soap away and I think he opened another soap and washed again. THAT to me says OCD. He'd also have to avoid walking on cracks on a sidewalk to the point of causing others to be unable to walk freely near him. He would only leave his house at a set time, to go to a set place, to have a set meal, or a set appointment. That's OCD isn't it? (Good movie too)

Remember that movie, "As Good as it Gets" with Jack Nicholson? I believe one of his problems was OCD. He frantically would dive into his bathroom, open the medicine cabinet to reveal a horde of new bars of soap. He'd get the water steaming hot, unwrap a new soap - wash even though it was painful - then throw that soap away and I think he opened another soap and washed again. THAT to me says OCD. He'd also have to avoid walking on cracks on a sidewalk to the point of causing others to be unable to walk freely near him. He would only leave his house at a set time, to go to a set place, to have a set meal, or a set appointment. That's OCD isn't it? (Good movie too)

Everyone has their quirks, as someone said before, and everyone has obsessive compulsive tendencies, but there's a lot more in the package than a list of habits and concerns.

like what? examples? i have a lot more i just didn't list them.

Faydra, it sounds like you're getting great support from your friends! That is great they help you like that. A phone alarm sounds like a good idea. I am sure you probably have tried it, but there are a few terrific medications that can actually re-wire the brain and make the OCD stop. Stop, completely. Prozac seemed to have completely stopped the harmful manifestations of OCD for me, there are minor tidbits left, but nothing too big.

Faydra, it sounds like you're getting great support from your friends! That is great they help you like that. A phone alarm sounds like a good idea. I am sure you probably have tried it, but there are a few terrific medications that can actually re-wire the brain and make the OCD stop. Stop, completely. Prozac seemed to have completely stopped the harmful manifestations of OCD for me, there are minor tidbits left, but nothing too big.

i think i have ocd. why? oh lets see...

-i wash my hands a lot

-i won't touch the toilet seat with my hands

-i sanitize if i've been out in public the minute i get in my car

-i sanitize all the time

-i wash my makeup brushes everyday

-i won't buy anything that looks tapered with

i could keep going. does anyone else feel like this?