Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moppie

Acne and sex?

so I've been reading alot and I read somewhere that your hormones are directly related to your acne breakouts...

If that is so... would having sex often = more pimples etc?

Hormones -can- play a part, but they don't always. Most experts will tell you the sex/acne combo is a myth, but you know your own skin best. If you get breakouts after sex limit yourself, if you don't, don't worry about it. Try keeping a hand written log to see if there's a link in your case.

i honestly don't think it matters. of course i'm really not the one to give you advice on this considering i can't remember the last time i had sex...it's been awhile lol!!!

on a more serious note...when my ex bf and i were together i really didn't notice any difference at all.

i honestly don't think it matters. of course i'm really not the one to give you advice on this considering i can't remember the last time i had sex...it's been awhile lol!!!

on a more serious note...when my ex bf and i were together i really didn't notice any difference at all.

My personal opinion is that acne is caused by our modern lifestyles...diet, stress, etc...it doesn't exist in tribal communities for example.

Sex is as old as time itself (ish!) so I don't think there would be a connection.

Not that I actually get any action anyway, but there you go!!

x

so I've been reading alot and I read somewhere that your hormones are directly related to your acne breakouts...

If that is so... would having sex often = more pimples etc?

Have you not read the 'Acne Myths' page on this website?! Im pretty sure it says masturbation and sex does not contribute to spots.

lol and if you do think its sex related, good luck convincing your other half on reducing the amount of times you do have sex with the reason being an increase in spots! I bet he will be pleased!!! :surprised:

I don't think there is a direct relation. Although I do think sebum levels increase when sex hormones are high. If I don't have sex for a few weeks, I sometimes notice my sebum production is not as high, hence my skin isn't as oily. Don't know if this is just me.

I feel a bit uncomfortable posting, but I have to say that contrary to what others have been saying, in my personal experience I have noticed a link between sex and my acne flare-ups. I do sweat a lot during... intercourse, but I always wash my face afterwards, and it doesn't seem to help.

And FYI, whomever said that the masterbation linked to acne thing is a myth is somewhat wrong, at least when it comes to guys. While it cannot be said that masterbation directly causes break-outs, it does rid the body of zinc, and this is known to effect problem skin.

Also you are right, diet and acne are absolutely connected for those with acne-prone skin; but of course there are countless other causes/triggers of acne, not necessarily related to one another.

What about this...have you guys thought about that maybe it's the physical irritation that causes the increase? Not the sex itself, or the hormones, or anything like that. For instance...when I was in a serious relationship almost a year ago, and having sex regularly, I was breaking out a lot on my chin just from his chin rubbing against mine when we kissed. Just because his face was of a shape that this happened a lot. Generally during sex or other intimate activity, there are a lot of opportunities that can cause friction to the skin of the face or just touching of the skin in general (kissing, touching with hands or faces, etc.). I really think that friction/touching has more to do with it than anything. Sweating doesn't really make you break out more unless you don't clean your skin within a decent time frame. That's just my opinion though!

What about this...have you guys thought about that maybe it's the physical irritation that causes the increase? Not the sex itself, or the hormones, or anything like that. For instance...when I was in a serious relationship almost a year ago, and having sex regularly, I was breaking out a lot on my chin just from his chin rubbing against mine when we kissed. Just because his face was of a shape that this happened a lot. Generally during sex or other intimate activity, there are a lot of opportunities that can cause friction to the skin of the face or just touching of the skin in general (kissing, touching with hands or faces, etc.). I really think that friction/touching has more to do with it than anything. Sweating doesn't really make you break out more unless you don't clean your skin within a decent time frame. That's just my opinion though!

Well, I can tell you this much, breaking out well into my late '30's. I would constantly complain of flare-ups to my current wife, she would simply say, "Thank God you do, you're hormones are raging". I've always been a VERY active man, my 1st wife couldn't handle it, obviously I'm not married to her anymore. I'm not trying to be a funny guy here or anything, but for the women interested in intimate relationships, I would seek out the most broken-out male with cystic acne. Chances are he's not getting much due to his appearance, so he'll be ready for you, or no matter how much he gets...he'll still be ready for you! I speak from personal experience on both counts.

I'm not trying to be a funny guy here or anything, but for the women interested in intimate relationships, I would seek out the most broken-out male with cystic acne. Chances are he's not getting much due to his appearance, so he'll be ready for you, or no matter how much he gets...he'll still be ready for you! I speak from personal experience on both counts.

For me:

A. Sex = relaxed and happy. Content, tingly, happy. *sighs*

B. No sex = more stressed.

A = Less acne.

B = More acne.

I'm not trying to be a funny guy here or anything, but for the women interested in intimate relationships, I would seek out the most broken-out male with cystic acne. Chances are he's not getting much due to his appearance, so he'll be ready for you, or no matter how much he gets...he'll still be ready for you! I speak from personal experience on both counts.

I find my hormones get caught up with sex. and I'm almost certain its causing a breakout. I'm not saying the act itself causes the acne, but the more you want sex, the more your hormones are raging or vice versa. I've opted to do 3 weeks, no sex of any sort, to calm my hormones down. I'm certain I won't pull a full 3 weeks, but if I can cut down my usual masturbation every day to once or twice a week. If sex comes up I'll take the chance lol, but I'm not having actual sex on a frequent basis as I'm not in any relation. So cutting down on my masturbation should help.

I'm expecting initial stress breakouts blah blah, but I think if I can break my habbits I can lead a healthier lifestyle. Seems these days when my acne is bad I'm wanting sex more than ever.

Wow, now I've heard it all. People abstaining from sex to keep from getting breakouts??? For the love of god, DON'T DO IT! It's not worth it. At least if you're having sex, you're having fun.

And having fun but having acne is WAY more worth it than not having acne and not getting any. Plus, obviously if you're getting some then someone thinks you're hot! :D

Well I can tell you that everytime I bust a nutt I break out. It sucks cuz Im 27, still young and I would be a Jack rabbit if it wasnt for my acne getting worse. Ive brought this up numerous times with various Dermatologists, but they all say its a "myth", but I know my skin more than anyone else. If your lifestyle hasnt changed except for the amount of sex your having and notice more acne, then its hormonal related imo. Is there bacteria deep within my skin thats contributing to my breakout?