Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fire_starter

flushing and burning after accutane course

right guys, i've been off the board for dunno a year or so now, thought i'll never come back... unfortunately i got a condition and wanted to share...

in a nut shell, last year i finished hight dose accutane course, drug cleaned me nicely, not even a single blackhead left :) .... magic happened and i stay clean all the time.

unfortunately i do experience flushing and burning very ofter through the day, it's really getting into me right now as what i understood i most probably swapped acne with some sort of rosacea

i'm going to start low 10mg/day dose of accutane in order to fix/mask the problem, i'll let you know how it goes... well, it's a wonder drug in the end and i'm sure it can undo what it's broken ;)

thanks for any comments

right guys, i've been off the board for dunno a year or so now, thought i'll never come back... unfortunately i got a condition and wanted to share...

in a nut shell, last year i finished hight dose accutane course, drug cleaned me nicely, not even a single blackhead left :) .... magic happened and i stay clean all the time.

unfortunately i do experience flushing and burning very ofter through the day, it's really getting into me right now as what i understood i most probably swapped acne with some sort of rosacea

i'm going to start low 10mg/day dose of accutane in order to fix/mask the problem, i'll let you know how it goes... well, it's a wonder drug in the end and i'm sure it can undo what it's broken ;)

thanks for any comments

sorry...i never did read your link..it is quite interesting you posted that...i am just very hesitant of putting that med in my body since I took it for only 3 days when I experienced the flushing...stoppped immediately, been experiencing the flushing/redness for about 9 months...also now developed seb dermatitis and I guess urticaria...so as you can sense, I am not pleased with my experience...however I did take it for 3 courses...this time, my skin could not tolerate it though...

Let's be serious. If it is accutane that caused the problem in the first place. It isn't like normal people with rosacea which is caused by a completely different means. I really recomend you don't go near tane for your 'rosacea' like condition you have now, i garuntie it isn't actually the same as rosacea and tane won't help it...

As much as I do not want to even consider that drug again, I am not sure what other options, other than lasers I have. I have developed many broken blood vessels, and started to experience the bumps...the flushing has continued, so I am not too sure how to look at it. I mean I guess I can continue to wait to see if this diminishes, but I have read way too many stories about this unanswered phenomenon. Once your face flushes numerous times, it is now predisposed to flushing. The chance of it stopping after its been continuing for so long is hard to believe.

Hi there -

The best thing to do is be off Tane for the six months and get IPL (Intense Pulse Light), Gemini, or VBeam. These treatments are recommended for the redness associated with Rosacea - red cheeks or nose and broken capillaries. I would most likely say the IPL will work good for you (a series of a few treatments) as the others are for more deeper capillaries and redness.

Let your skin heal and find a good Derm. to do the treatments.

Good luck.

Yvette

i just do not see the reasoning behind accutane causing these effects...I mean how does accutane cause the creation of these cathelicidin...especially in 3 days...the side effect has an immediate effect on me...3 days...and why do some conditions of this side effect persist and some dont...I honestly do not think that we have "rosacea"...I do believe in time it can develop to it cause obviously the more flushing, the more possibility of having the disorder...there are people who flush for a year and then it subsides, yet there are others who never have it subside...what is the difference?

There are so many questions that still are unanswered, and this post, no matter what you do to try to better the immune response, there is no answer to it. As sad as it is to think, accutane might be a possible solution. it is one that I will not consider until I have exhausted everything, and cannot stand it anymore. But unlike most of you, I have develoepd pretty bad tangelesia, which is a f'ing bitch. I dont understand why some develop it and others don't...

lamarr, have you been exposed to the and gotten burnt while dealing with this flushing? I am pretty sure I received some massive sun damage this summer while flushing, which has probobly resulted in such a bad case of broken blood vessels..

Well i haven't been burn't no, but i was in vegas when there was 130 degree heat, when i got into a car a few times i went as red as a tomato, but i was relieved of it pretty quickly due to the AC.

We don't have a creation of cathelicidin, what i believe happens with alot of tane related side effects is that the body attacks the isotretinoin as it sees it as a foreign object. Now as you know it binds to pretty much every cell in the body. So what happens is in some people the body begins attacking whatever part of the body is causing their problems. In my case the cappilaries and hair. Sure the drug slowly filters out of the body, but over time the body has created anti bodies for the tissue involved and it somehow mistakes our own body tissue. I believe in many cases all we need is the immune system to be dampened down for a while to allow it to go back to normal.

Edit: just look at all the side effects such as Lupus, ulcerative colitis, raynaud's phenomenon etetc. All of these problems are immune related and can and are sometimes caused by tane...

I suffer from mouth ulcers (known to be immune related) Hairloss (also in my case immune related as it is responsive to topical steroids) the flushing i believe is where our cappilaries are under constant attack by the immune system, so that when we have a flush the vessels cannot handle the increase in blood flow, hence we get broken cappilaries and with time a constant red hew. I have also gained random scars (plenty of them come within days of a bad flush). And i know all of this is very hard to believe but it is what i am going through. I do believe i can cure nearly all of my side effects via the use of systemic steroids. Now convincing a dr or a derm of the same will be the true test....

I am at the point where i no longer care of the risks of taking steroids, my life has totaly been turned around.

Well, I have always had a feeling that it has to do with some immune system problem. I took te medicine for 3 days...on the third day I experienced the flushing...as the summer progressed, it got worse, and broken capillaries began appearing everywhere. Not just my face, but on my shoulders, arms, almost everywhere. My chest also flushed quite bad as well...By september when I went to see a derm, she also diagnosed me with Seb dermatitis, and urticaria as well...I guess urticaria/seb derm like to be together...so yes, I highly agree with your point. I think you are spot on with it. It must be an immune problem, since seb derm/urticaria usually do arise due to this. I am currently taking a potent ALA, Biotin...and other crazy herbs/meds, in hope to get my system back in order. I am just worried since broken cappilaries do increase the risk of flushing, that it may be too late...I found a unique story when searching off google about a guy who experienced the same thing with accutane...the flushing...a very in depth, week by week story of how his situation progressed...

Lamarr, please stay in contact w/ me...I think it is important for people experienced this undesired effects, to stay together and bounce of ideas/information...there is no one else here that understands it more than we do...Where do you live again? Iceland? I am not sure if i asked you before if you had skype or could download it...

another point...if any of you like Band of Brothers or other movies...you can watch em onlie for free...its kinda how im spending the rest of my vacation at home.

http://www.stage6.com/user/Kirbs0/video/20...f-Brothers-EP-6

pretty sick site, I advise you to check it out...and watch/download some movies..

Chase can you remember where you read about the girl who had the steroid injection for her flushing?

I was originally going to go for a simple 40-80mg kenalog Intramuscular depot injection, but i believe i need a higher blood level for a longer period of time than this can provide. I do believe however that for flushing a simple 40mg i/m kenalog shot would be with little risk and would have a good chance of resolving the problem. My dad has them every year for hay fevour and has only ever seen good things from it. I hate the way the western world is so negative against the use of corticosteroids, they deserve respect but need not be feared so much.

Edit: lol, iceland would be good, i could avoid the summer heat. No i'm from the Uk mate. I will indeed stay in contact, i have said i will beat these problems as best as is humanly possible, i have alot of medical assistance with my problem(s).

I don't have a mic otherwise i would do that. I also have the broken almost microscopic capilaries on the rest of my body. Namely my arms and chest, very little on my lower torso and barely any on my legs.

I also noticed when i was in the sun that i had very wierd rashes appear on my arms. They faded within a few hours, they were alot like you see in SLE. which is lupus effecting only the Skin.

Just to let you know i have been tested for everything under the sun, but everything came back negative. That is not to say that the Drs do not see all of my problems, they just can't fully explain them. I believe that it is defineently my immune system. Tests like ANA, ANCA, ESR etcetc cannot pick up problems such as rosacea and Alopecia areata. I believe what we have is an Auto immune problem, but on a minute scale, hence cannot be picked up with tests such as ANA etc.

well I found her on the roaccutane forum...the one I posted before...I am not sure if I can find the exact post I will...

I remember asking about the kenalog shot to my doctor, and he refused to give it to me since he has no understanding of my situation...

I don't know much about corticosteroids, nor do I understand the mechanics behind our side effects. Again, it sounds like you have a better understanding/idea of the reasoning behind it, and I am all for it. I am hesitant on the thought of steroids in fear that it may cause other problems...I remember he posting about rather undesired side effects that resulted in the steroid injection...but let me find that post h/o...

can you download skype though? It really is a quick download, and I think we could comunicate much better on it. Its a free online messaging service, you can use it as a telephone as well for free, and use a computer microphone to talk...it would be cool to use that to talk, even if you dont have a microphone, I could talk, and you could repond via instant messaging...

You should complain of hayfever then, say your father has used it for complete relief for throughout the entire hayfever season.

Sure i can get skype, i think i used to have it. So i should have an idea of how to use it!!

I do believe i have as good an idea as any Dr on the mechanism that causes most of these undesiered side effects. I have read pretty much every accutane forum, i have disscussed at great length with several derms including the best in this country. Even they though do not have the answer for alot of things, alot of attemps to fix things are avoided as they do not have the facts to back up/warrent the use of treatements such as corticosteroids.

I have met some really moronic derms on this long journy of mine and this really highlights to me why so many people are left suffering....

View Profile E-Mail

Re: Red Marks On Cheeks and Sensitive!!!

« Reply #17 on: January 4th, 2003, 10:26am » Reply with quote Modify message

My red face comes and goes. Do your eyes burn and itch also? The dermatologist I went to of course would not discuss Accutane with me(surprise, surprise) and gave me a big shot of steriods-Kenalog was the name I think. I cleared up in a couple of days. While I was researching on these sites I came up with a diagnosis of what I had. (The dermatologist didn't say what I had or didn't know)It's called bleipharitis. What happens is that the meiobian gland in the eye which is responsible for keeping the eye lubricated fails to produce enough oil. Of course that's what Accutane does-it dries up your oil glands.Then you get this side effect of acne rosacea and your face goes red, I'm so glad that we have this forum to come to when we have to try to find help for ourselves. If you think about it long enough, I'm sure you will agree with me, on this point. It's a sad state of affairs when regular lay persons like ourselves,have to try to hash out our health problems and prescribe different treatments for our permanent adverse side effects from Accutane. Sometimes I just imagine the big wigs at Roche Pharmecutical Co. and the FDA sitting around their computers having the biggest laugh at all our lame attempts to heal ourselves. We're like the blind leading the blind. Our pleas for help fall on deaf ears. The doctors won't believe us,why should they? It's all too wild to imagine. Except for us of course that live with it. One more thing- My red face does better if I wash it with a washcloth and use a dandruff shampoo with zinc pyrithione in it. Then I use a little olive oil and let it sink in. Also before bed, I use a little Campho-Phenique on it. This medication seems to help where no other does.

its pretty simple man, just make a user name and let me know what it is and ill call you...

h.o ill be back in a bit..hit me up when you have it

i've read your posts guys and i'm going to stay away from the discussion for now... i've already spent way too much time (few years) fighting and researching acne, enough is enough. i'm trying accutane to combat my flushing thing... it's my 4th day today on 10mg/day, i can already feel/see huge improvement (40-60%)... of course it may be placebo a effect - fuck knows, something is happening... i'll give it few more months and if i'm happy from the results i'll stay on it, for life? ;)

if it doesnt work i'll try melanotan II

good luck, regards

Hey fire Starter i remember you as you were taking it at the same time i was. I also have a very similar problem with flushing.

Is your skin permanently reddish and then goes super red during a flush??? Also do you have broken capilliaries and/or thread veins??? Finally is your skin slightly shiny (like it has a silver sheen) even though it isnt oily??

I remember that you took a high dose of tane and that it can have this effect.

As for trying tane to stop the problem....then i wish you luck. Tane is used to treat rosacea as it reduces inflamation and can help prevent flushing in some cases. I hope it works for you...but i dont think that it will have a permanent effect. The only way that i can see our situation changing is by our skin recovering form the effects of tane. Once that has happened (by waiting at least a year and then trying low intensity rejuvenation lasers to try and promote collagen formation and thicken our skin) and our skin is healthy then we can go for the blood vessels causing the redness (by standard ipl).

I really hope that tane works for you as it would offer some hope to me and many others.

Let's be serious. If it is accutane that caused the problem in the first place. It isn't like normal people with rosacea which is caused by a completely different means. I really recomend you don't go near tane for your 'rosacea' like condition you have now, i garuntie it isn't actually the same as rosacea and tane won't help it...