Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey I just recently started a washing regime which I hadn't done before. I was on roaccutane on 6 months last year (second time, never again), was clear until 2 months after I came off and now i'm back with the same problems. I'll basically get a few pimples or 2-5 whiteheads a day and can't seem to pinpoint why and if what i'm doing is even helping. I know it takes about a month to see results. Basically I wake up, will probably have about 2-5 whiteheads (don't have problems with blackheads which is ironic because I couldn't care less about them) and so I get rid of them with a hot cloth. If I wipe them they come off I don't squeeze anymore and yes I know I shouldn't be doing it but I went through a phase of leaving them and I looked bloody horrible. Anyway I get in the shower and do the following;

I wash my face then apply some King of Shaves Anti Bacterial cleanser, wash it off.

Every 3 days I use King of Shaves facial exfoliating scrub with a face cloth (not sure if I should be using it more or less?).

I then shave with an electric razor against the grain as the razor just doesn't cut close enough otherwise.

Wash my face again, get out, dry and apply Nivea for men oil control moisturiser. I pretty much repeat the process minus the exfoliating at night.

I can't think my problem is my diet, I eat at least 2 pieces of fruit a day, loads of water, and exercise regularly. Thing is i've had periods during this new regime which are awesome and I won't get any spots and will be clear, then i'll get days like today where I wake up with 3-5 whiteheads. It doesn't make sense why it can't stay clear. Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks if you read all that :P

hey,

cleansing and exfoliating obviously isn't enough for you.

Between the cleansing and the moisturising you should be applying some sort of topical retinoid or anything to prevent the formation of new comedones.

for me, I find that differin works really well, you just have to be patient with it.

maybe you should lay off the exfoliating or cut back to once every week, as this tends to irritate the acne and lead to more inflammation.

yeah i would cut back on the shaving and exfoliation. stick with a gentle cleanser and maybe implement a retinoid such as retin-a into your regimen. you may also want to consider an antibacterial agent such a benzamycin to kill the acne causing bacteria.

Thanks for that guys. What over the counter products could I use that have BP in? tStuff like Clearasil? I'll cut down on the exfoliating and shaving I guess and see if that helps. Are topical retinoids prescription only?

Thanks for that guys. What over the counter products could I use that have BP in? Stuff like Clearasil? I'll cut down on the exfoliating and shaving I guess and see if that helps.

I looked around but I don't think it's available in the UK. There's not much here when it comes to that sort of thing I don't think. Don't really want to go back to my doctor as he basically said last time I went that there's not much they can do. I'll do like you guys said and cut down on shaving and exfoliating, probably get myself some Clearasil as it's all I can find that contains BP.

Just go to your nearest chemist and ask at the counter to see their benzoyl peroxide products for acne-prone skin.

you should probably be careful with the benzoyl peroxide though, it's incredibly drying and makes the skin all red and itchy and painful. might as well give it a try though.

and I'm not sure if topical retinoids are prescription, but if they are you should really look into it and ask your doctor.

Yes BP does seem a little extreme though it's the one thing I haven't really tried. I'll give those suggestions a try and see if it helps :)